The Bot-o-meter; How do you feel about Jagex's actions towards bots?

Ren

you guys bring up clusterflutterer, and yea, it worked for about 6 weeks.... but it doesnt now, and jagex have done nothing for over 8 months about bots, save banning a few here and there... it should be top of their priorities, not near the bottom.

as for making money, they shouldnt put making money short-term>making more money longterm, although everyone does... they are ruining the game, and i don't blame people for rwting anymore, hundreds of thousands of bots are, so why shouldnt they....

On the other side however, i have never bought geepees, and anyone who does is pathetic... this game should be about accomplishing things by yourself, not buying your way to sucess... (cough_) squeel (cough)

meamzed.png

Jagex hasn't done nothing about bots. They try to ban bots as far as they can (though it isn't very effective), and they're concentrating on developing systems to break bots. The thing is, you won't see their work until it's put into the game. Until then, you can go on believing that they're "doing nothing". That's what people said before the first Bot nuke too (which btw made the situation a lot better, and longer than 6 weeks. Even now, the situation is not as bad as directly before the first bot nuke)

Jagex hasn't done nothing about bots. They try to ban bots as far as they can (though it isn't very effective), and they're concentrating on developing systems to break bots. The thing is, you won't see their work until it's put into the game. Until then, you can go on believing that they're "doing nothing". That's what people said before the first Bot nuke too (which btw made the situation a lot better, and longer than 6 weeks. Even now, the situation is not as bad as directly before the first bot nuke)

The situation is still pretty bad. It's not quite as bad maybe, but there are still locations totally swarmed by bots.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I'm not saying that it's good. I'd love it too if Jagex were able to develop and deply their anti-bot measures more quickly. I'm just tired of people claiming that Jagex does nothing about bots just because they don't see Jmod running around with a banhammer in-game. God knows there is enough to complain about Jagex, but them doing nothing about bots is not part of that.

I'm just tired of people claiming that Jagex does nothing about bots just because they don't see Jmod running around with a banhammer in-game.

They still do that. No one cares about it though, in the same way no one cares if mass bot bannings happen, because it's a hollow gesture.

hzvjpwS.gif

I'm not saying that it's good. I'd love it too if Jagex were able to develop and deply their anti-bot measures more quickly. I'm just tired of people claiming that Jagex does nothing about bots just because they don't see Jmod running around with a banhammer in-game. God knows there is enough to complain about Jagex, but them doing nothing about bots is not part of that.

I'm tired of people claiming jagex does nothing when they have absolutely no idea how complex of a problem it is to solve. There is no magic solution.

Serena_Sedai.png

I agree with Platinum here. Don't forget the botters that are left know what they're doing. They don't just have botting programs, they have detection prevention programs or ways to fool the system into believing it's a real player, or just outright masking some info. Jagex isn't incompetent, the botters are just more competent.

22031_s.gif

It's not just that. The actual problem, "determining whether a user is human or robot" is non trivial to solve. There are people dedicated to solving all kinds of AI problems that make it more and more difficult to detect when a user is a machine or a person. And you're right with every advance in bot detection/prevention, there is an advance in the bot developers working against those detections..

• Like 1

Serena_Sedai.png

The worst part is that Jagex can't reveal much about the project. All they can do is assure players that they're working on it.

It hurts morale so much. I particularly remember having to eat my words when 7 months(? ish) after free trade came out, they FINALLY released clusterflutter. We were left in the dark for so long with not even a slight teaser until the last month or two before release. It's just so soul crushing to wait so long without a peep from them. I think they tried to correct that with Optimus and Prime, but it's like they went too far in the opposite direction then. Now we know it's coming, but it's so far away that it's almost as defeating as the period pre-clusterflutter.

hzvjpwS.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I've realized that too. I'm a Pmod and I log on every day to mute all the spambots in my homeworld (7), and I find it interesting to see the trends of rises and falls of both the prices that RWTers charge and the number of spambots. Ever since the gold dupe, the spambots have become very agressive moving to the individual GE stalls more instead of sitting in the entrance. I think it's because they have an excess of GP that they feel they need to get rid of, because the more you hold, the more likely it is that any bans will take out significant stocks. I'm waiting very intently on the spambot nuke that Jagex promised us in this months BTS. Though, like you, I have noticed a lot of already-muted spambots standing there. I don't know if it's another PMod getting to them first, or Jagex's system. All I know is that there are enough that get through that I hope this isn't the magical solution Jagex claimed to have.