Jagex Account Guardian

Mercifull

What I meant is I wouldn't expect too many cellphones in the swamps of Louisiana, but in New York city I would expect a lot of them.

I live in Louisiana. Your assumptions are wrong and uncalled for. Also, making assumptions based on tv shows on the discovery channel makes you seem stupid. Why wouldn't you find cellphones in Louisiana? Do you think we communicate with tin cans or something?

What I meant is I wouldn't expect too many cellphones in the swamps of Louisiana, but in New York city I would expect a lot of them.

You can't make the assumption that all US players come from metropolitan areas though.

Well I guess you could but it would be horribly wrong.

The US players with the ability to play Runescape typically don't come from the third world parts of the US.

Again you're making assumptions - and borderline offensive ones at that - considering you could play RS reliably even with a satellite internet connection which is available in rural areas of the country where DSL isn't an option. I actually live a few miles away from an area like that in Pennsylvania.

hzvjpwS.gif

You can't make the assumption that all US players come from metropolitan areas though.

The US players with the ability to play Runescape typically don't come from the third world parts of the US.

Again you're making assumptions - and borderline offensive ones at that, considering you could play RS reliably even with a satellite internet connection which is available in rural areas of the country.

Borderline? I find them very offensive.

• Like 1

vPJr8.jpg

95% of people aged 18-34 own a cellphone, and 70% own a laptop. So I think it would be safe to say that most people who own a computer have a cell phone. Obviously, you can't be certain from this data, but it is a good indicator.

95% of people aged 18-34 own a cellphone, and 70% own a laptop. So I think it would be safe to say that most people who own a computer have a cell phone. Obviously, you can't be certain from this data, but it is a good indicator.

Runescape's target audience is just a bit younger than that, though.

If in 2011 overall cellphone ownership was recorded at 60% (data taken from the same research company) compared to the data we see from 2010 of 80% of all adults (sample of 3k), doesn't that indicate a potentially low rate of ownership for 18 and younger? 18 years and younger are, hopefully, the majority of RS players.

If they aren't then the game's got a different problem entirely, but that's another topic I guess <_<

hzvjpwS.gif

Runescape's target audience is just a bit younger than that, though.

I wouldn't say that. From my personal observation, a lot of people are 18+, but any data we receive would be inaccurate, so we won't ever know for sure.

Anyway, if you're still in high/middle school, it's likely that one of your parents or a sibling has a cellphone you can borrow for 30 seconds.

@Kim

Can you link me to the data?

DEEEEEERRRRP.

I need new glasses. When I expanded it, I saw that it said 82 percent, not 62. fml

Here's the page in question also from Pew Research: http://pewinternet.org/Presentations/2011/Apr/FTC-Debt-Collection-Workshop-Cell-Phone-Trends.aspx

You're right then. It's more reasonable to assume most US citizens have cellphones than not to such a point where I could really understand why Jagex would exclude landline support.

Meh I'm sad now lol

hzvjpwS.gif

Again you're making assumptions - and borderline offensive ones at that - considering you could play RS reliably even with a satellite internet connection which is available in rural areas of the country where DSL isn't an option. I actually live a few miles away from an area like that in Pennsylvania.

Not assumptions, presumptions.

zerker_jane.png

99 farm easy

If it works through a smartphone app or something like that, I'm out. I use a Sony Ericsson from the age when they thought infrared would be the way to exchange information, bluetooth didn't exist, let alone smartphones and apps. :s

Now THAT at least, I'm sure would be a dumb move.

http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/survey-new-u-s-smartphone-growth-by-age-and-income

5pQtY.png

Though ownership has doubled in the past year if we compare PewResearch's findings for 2011 at 35% to Nielsen's results for 2012...

Meeeeeh.

This is just making me more and more sad.

hzvjpwS.gif

If it works through a smartphone app or something like that, I'm out. I use a Sony Ericsson from the age when they thought infrared would be the way to exchange information, bluetooth didn't exist, let alone smartphones and apps. :s

Lol, infrared. Takes me back to the days of linking PalmPilots in class and versing each other in games/sending messages.

I think it'd be rather smart to have an option like Hotmail where they can text you a PIN to change your password.

• Like 1

09144a99bb.png

VERY looking forward to this :cool: Would have been useful if this was released when RS 1st came out would have saved everyone. Can't read that Quote you posted so go Translate it please.

Level 99 Skills 28/28 200M exp Skills 6/28
Going for 200M All Skills. [qfc]48-49-837-63099395[/qfc]

@Matt258RS Twitch: Matt258RS

Whatpulse
My Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook ProfitCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

On 12/23/2011 at 4:39 PM, 'Jebrim' said:

But don't even begin to think that I think I'm better than you all simply because I've done 7.6k+ hours of Agility or because I have tens of thousands of fans.

VERY looking forward to this :cool: Would have been useful if this was released when RS 1st came out would have saved everyone. Can't read that Quote you posted so go Translate it please.

They have no relation to runescape. It's a quote designers use to fill a page to see how graphics/layout/etc work in the design.

hzvjpwS.gif

In terms of cellphone debate thing the most obvious setup will be sms and smart phone app (for iOS, Android and maybe Blackberry if they are feeling nice).

Smart phone app for those of us technologically in the 21st century for very instant access.

Sms for those with tech but still more 20th century minded so it's fast but slight delay.

If they are nice you might get some other option, though tbh I doubt it's likely (at least not at launch) mobile phone ownership in this day and age is kinda taken as a given if you are under around 35 (thus aren't in the amg too old for tech crowd) and over about 12-15 (when most kids seem to be given phones to allow them to be independent but contactable).

I know there's certainly argument that they should make it accessible and not force people to get phones, but in all reality not having a phone is your own choice and in this day and age kinda a dumb one when everyone (like employers) likes immediacy of contact and it acts as an amazing tool for if plans go wrong last minute or trying to meet someone in a crowded area or in an emergency; certainly smart phones are not for everyone but a basic pay & go calls and texts/sms jobby isn't exactly a huge commitment.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

On most pay-as-you-go phones, texting can be as expensive as 25c per text without a texting package with your pay-as-you-go. Now that's for receiving and sending. If you have to use that every time you log in, you could easily spend 3$ a day logging in and out. The alternative to that is paying (usually) 20$+ a month for a pay-as-you-go with an allotted amount of texts per month.

Pay as you go isn't very affordable for anything other than regular phone calls right now. That can certainly change, yeah, but meh.

hzvjpwS.gif

Wow they charge you to receive messages and I thought UK were the master of screwing people over with prices. o.O

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

This is wayyyy off topic now lol. I think i would be foolish not to even consider an OPTIONAL 2-step verification system using a mobile (cell) phone either via SMS or through an app for what is in reality a VERY small percentage of people (as a percentage of runescape players).

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It's on the topic of pros & cons of different possibly delivery methods for the JAG assuming it is 2 step verification. I don't see how we could be more on-topic.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

It's slightly off topic when people are quoting national figures for one country (the USA) which might bear no resemblance to the age profile of the people that actually play Runescape. Plus any system they implement would be optional. I don't see how anyone could be against such a system. If you don't own a cellphone why would you want to prevent someone that does having a more secure account? It sucks that you can't take advantage of it but it's not like it's out of the realm of possibilities.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

H3laE.jpg

I'm calling this. If I'm wrong then you can all beat me with a rubber chicken in central Varrock.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

This is wayyyy off topic now lol. I think i would be foolish not to even consider an OPTIONAL 2-step verification system using a mobile (cell) phone either via SMS or through an app for what is in reality a VERY small percentage of people (as a percentage of runescape players).

Why on earth do you suppose I'm saying nix the plan? All I was originally trying to get at was putting landline support like Google's 2-step verification does for those who don't have a smartphone should be reasonably high on the to-do given that there's still a sizable amount of people who lack smartphones. We're still a long way off until smartphones fall below the 100$ mark plus data/texting contracts in the US are still outrageously gorged in price.

It would be a shame if they put all this work into giving the users protection they need (for a price) if not everyone can take advantage of it.

hzvjpwS.gif

Ok I might be a bit premature posting this here but noticed something on the official RuneScape wiki when I accidently clicked on a mods contributions. I noticed that today they have been making a page which currently is titled JagexHidden Testpage1.

Don't want to sadden this great find, however, you can change the "1" to any number sequence and it loads the same page ("You do not have permission to access JagexHidden Testpage999999999.")