Legitimate Reasons to Raise All Skill Caps to 120+

NukeMarine

Imo there is no reason to increase the level cap.

There is an amount of content spread out across the levels. If it fits, you're good - and currently it fits very well, there's sooner too little than too much content per level.

It takes an amount of time to reach the highest level. If it's 'reasonable' (according to RS standards), you're good. Currently, comp caping is still very much reserved for a small group of players, less than a percent of the player base (about 2913 by total level). So I'd say that is sooner too exclusive than too easy to obtain.

I would rather see a lot more high-level quests. 80+ if not 90+ level requirements.

• Like 1

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

They should just reduce P2P xp-rates, because they made the game too easy. F2P shouldn't change, it still takes ages to get 99's like they're supposed to.

What's the point in openly screwing over people who pay them again?

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

They should just reduce P2P xp-rates, because they made the game too easy. F2P shouldn't change, it still takes ages to get 99's like they're supposed to.

What's the point in openly screwing over people who pay them again?

And why do we want to make it harder to get high levels in the first place?

Community is too obsessed with its achievements being special.

• Like 2

I'd be more okay with the midlevels being slower, if they didn't make it so that all of the stuff worth doing or having was at the higher levels.

as it is right now, midlevels in many skills is like playing an f2p version of the higher levels, with more fails, less useful stuff, and overall, a sense of not being good enough for your level, as opposed to owning your place on the scale, but being less powerful than somebody higher than you

"minimum level" for something usually means that you can't do jack until you're ten levels higher than the requirement

this isn't helped by the fact that places meant for midlevels can be camped by higher level players if anything remotely of worth comes from that area

and on the opposite end, power caps early or only advances in certain areas, giving us anomalies like pure characters, and people jacking up the prices of equipment that shouldn't be valued as high as they are, but end up that way because there isn't anything better

this is why i've been waiting for eoc

8f14270694.jpg

Going higher is definitely not worth it, compared to spreading out skills properly, and making failure rates for activities meaningful..

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

the first 13 million xp for most skills isnt fun and doesnt pan out in content. Forgot 21 new levels per skill. What can those levels possible justify another 90m xp requirement for? If I am going to get 100m xp in a skill. I want roughly 10x the amount of content that is currently available to a player with lvl 99. Whoever misunderstands this needs to look at xp/time investment instead of 21 new levels

Pretty sure it's people irrationally longing for the days when there were only 3 maxed players >_<

• Like 1

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

It's only a viable option for combat skills. Attack, Defence, and Strength have exponential results as you level up (rate of hitting more/taking less damage or however Defence works), and 120 Constitution balances out the ablitity to do more damage. This leaves Magic, Ranged, Summoning, and Prayer. Ranged is another "more damage" type skill, and like the melees, new equipment can be added; Jagex has many equipment ideas waiting to be implemented.

Magic would require new content

[hide]

New spellbook, spells that do higher damage, better magic defence, new mage items

[/hide]

Prayer would require new content

[hide]

Slower drain rates, new prayers, new equipment, new training methods

[/hide]

Summoning would require new content

[hide]

New familiars, new abilities, new equipment, new training methods/locations, new ways to interact with familiars

[/hide]

This would balance out, and would have better rates due to more damage with each level.

The thing is there are many reasons to raise the level cap, but skills are in no way ready for it.

• Like 1

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Attack, Defence, and Strength have exponential results as you level up

Quite the opposite really. Each level offers a smaller dps increase (in %) than the previous, unless you unlock new equipment.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Quite the opposite really. Each level offers a smaller dps increase (in %) than the previous, unless you unlock new equipment.

Yes, and that is an exponential curve.

Math isn't my strong point (So the following term is most likely something I made up), but isn't that a logarithmic curve? Or an r-curve. Whatever it's called.

That's the last thing you want when the experience per level is exponential (J-curve).

Math isn't my strong point (So the following term is most likely something I made up), but isn't that a logarithmic curve? Or an r-curve. Whatever it's called.

That's the last thing you want when the experience per level is exponential (J-curve).

A logarithmic curve could be used to graph damage as a function of level (when talking solely about levels), but his point is that when you account for new gear that can be accessed at new levels, damage done seemingly behaves like an exponential function (not quite, but the damage looks like it exponentially increases if you take the points when new gear is unlocked).

That being said, we're thinking too far ahead. We don't even have level 85 gear, let alone level 100, RS is just not ready yet for such a leap.

22031_s.gif

Depends on what we're graphing. Are we graphing how much your DPS increases each level or just what your DPS is? The DPS as you level should just be a straight line. (Unless, of course, you unlock new equipment.) The curve for how much your DPS increases every level would be a curve with a limit approaching 0. Technically an exponential curve, but when people talk about exponential curves they generally refer to exponential growth. Also, when people talk about DPS, they tend to be talking about the actual damage per second, not graphing out how much of a boost each level gives you. The graph for DPS itself would be a straight line, again excluding equipment.

Lastly, aside from summoning, new content for mage/range/melee wouldn't help balance it out much since you haven't solved the exp issue. You wouldn't be gaining exp that much faster then you are now. 120 equipment probably wouldn't even come close to doubling your exp, and you need 7x the experience for 120. Mage would fare a bit better since it gets exp per spell, but mage is also probably the most expensive combat 99 and Jagex is moving away from that with the combat beta. (I want it on record that on second thought this paragraph might be entirely wrong.)

Also, here's a fact: the highest tier weapons and armour we have are level 80. Asking for 120 combat skills so you have more room for new weapons and armour is REALLY getting ahead of yourself. Summoning is the only one that might be justified, but I'd rather see Jagex work on like, every single other skill in the game first.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

That being said, we're thinking too far ahead. We don't even have level 85 gear, let alone level 100, RS is just not ready yet for such a leap.

More than that, we barely have enemies that justify our current level of armor. The level 80 gear is overkill for everything but one or two bosses.

The way xp rates are now, no. 25 skills at 120 is 2.6 BILLION xp. To put that into perspective, rank 13 has 2.57 billion xp. I find it hilarious how the OP states the 5% outfits like those are actually significantly useful. Even if they were 3x xp outfits that never degraded, it would still take a long time.

Also it's funny reading previous comments supporting the idea of all skills lvl 120 and they are like 1500 total. Good freaking luck kids. I'm nearly maxed and I think this is a crazy bad idea.

• Like 4

I do not agree. 99 still takes a ton of dedication. Runescapes skill progression and XP charts are quite ridiculous.

Don't make the game a career. It already is a part-time job.

• Like 1

wguserbar.png

WG-Recruitment-Underbanenr.gif

11928513.png

The way xp rates are now, no. 25 skills at 120 is 2.6 BILLION xp. To put that into perspective, rank 13 has 2.57 billion xp. I find it hilarious how the OP states the 5% outfits like those are actually significantly useful. Even if they were 3x xp outfits that never degraded, it would still take a long time.

Also it's funny reading previous comments supporting the idea of all skills lvl 120 and they are like 1500 total. Good freaking luck kids. I'm nearly maxed and I think this is a crazy bad idea.

It's not just the 5% items. Daily and weekly bonus xp, skill pendants, auras plus all the various skills individual bonuses coupled with future updates will make leveling faster. Now, I'm not up on each skills efficient (ie not gods awful expensive) method of leveling, but if you cap out at 100k xp/hour that means 1,000 hours. Shaving off 50 hours is noticeable. The 3x imaginary boost shaves off 660 hours. Future updates likely allow a more smooth linear gain per level meaning (such as rising from 100k to 200k xp per hour) if not much jumps that will shave time off.

But here's the kicker: I'm not expecting a high percentage of players to max out this time. Yes, the main reason is to spread out player accomplishment from those that grind out 10k+ hours versus those that "only" put is 1k+ hours. RS seems to be more about the grind at the high level, so why not acknowledge it with a visible skill total to reflect the hours?

To put it in perspective: your #13 with 2.57 billion Xp would still not be maxed out in all skills cause most of that XP is from the extra 100m XP by capping easier to grind skills. Getting 100m in each of the skills would take much, much more time and cost so you're not as likely to see the first 100 players maxed out for a long time.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

I do not agree. 99 still takes a ton of dedication. Runescapes skill progression and XP charts are quite ridiculous.

Don't make the game a career. It already is a part-time job.

If it's not fun, don't do it. Even if Jagex lifted the xp caps to 800 million per skill (Level 140), you're not required as an individual to level your skills to that level. You're paying to have fun, as are thousands of others. Jagex is offering variety in the game so that each person can participate in their own concept of fun. For some ungodly reason, many people like to grind to an arbitrary goal post. Setting up multiple goal posts doesn't make their original goal disappear, it just gives another goal should they choose to accept it.

By the way, some people have made this game a career. This change would be an acknowledgement toward them. It would not be for you, who only makes the game a small part of their overall life.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit