Legitimate Reasons to Raise All Skill Caps to 120+

NukeMarine

A better solution for those would be servers that have their own closed off economy and accounts start off fresh (similar to doing RSC for the first time).

Doing this might be a good idea, but can lead to confusion amongst players, especially new ones, about the availability of rare or limited items as some servers would have lots of them and some would have little to none depending on when they went online.

This was always an issue I had with MapleStory were an item that was relatively worthless on a server that was running for an entire promotion was extremely valuable on another that went online right at the end of it.

Of course, pretty much everything in MS was tradable so that might not be an issue here.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Second, this does not have to be about making a new target. It'd be my hope that by making skills 120 you reduce this obsessive compulsive desire to get capes in all skills. Instead, as maxing becomes less rational, then you approach skills on their own merits and benefits.

The obsessive compulsive desire to get capes is what drives their entire business model, why would they want to stop that.

• Like 2

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Once there is sufficient content between levels 1 and 99, they should start working on 120s.

Seriously -- I'm not against raising the levels but let them get some content in place first, shall we?

Indeed, it seems like most skills weren't balanced with even the upper-80s in mind. This kind of thing wouldn't make sense unless you did EoC-level overhauls of a number of skills.

Now, if they overhauled smithing/crafting... Those would be interesting 120 skills. But only when 99 does something a bit more impressive than let you make level 40 armor for more than an ingame shop sells it for and you get a reasonable experience rate for your level.

Raising level by level over a few years could be interesting. But I'd rather they not. They're still several years from filling out current skills to 99. It would also need to be like Dg in that the xp rate gets much higher past 99, which I'm not sure they would do, or do properly (like how higher tiered normal trees are worse xp/hour and gp/hour)

All the comp-capers would ragequit lol. Maybe this should be implemented on the hs only but keep 99 ingame.

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

Raising level by level over a few years could be interesting. But I'd rather they not. They're still several years from filling out current skills to 99. It would also need to be like Dg in that the xp rate gets much higher past 99, which I'm not sure they would do, or do properly (like how higher tiered normal trees are worse xp/hour and gp/hour)

All the comp-capers would ragequit lol. Maybe this should be implemented on the hs only but keep 99 ingame.

I've suggested the high score equivalent before, as it would lead into the changes with the game itself. It seems like an easy solution that few would complain about. Granted, those at the top maxed out xp on very easy to level skills first so maybe they'd be a bit annoyed that their placement will get shuffled.

Now, do you really need content to have the skill cap at 120? Many skills existed at 99 with no content going past 60 for a long time. Is there any harm with a skill going to 120 without current content to cover it? I don't think so. On the other hand, Jagex should be creative enough to create beneficial content at each and every skill level past 99 while leaving room to improve benefits in the future.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

I could get on board 120 levels, but only if the purpose is to add a broader scale in which to add content, or to extend content beyond the current scale.

For a skill like construction where almost every level gives you something new (if only all skills were like this), and many levels give you 3-5 new new things to build, you could increase the cap to 120 or even 150 (because it is so full), and rescale when people get certain things. (and more on the ridiculous thought of a max at 150 which would put the max time at several decades)

For a skill like smithing, progress has made it entirely obsolete pretty much past steel, and its only useful even then if you just really want to make your own stuff. Past that, it is almost certain you could gain your equipment many times faster by just doing profitable activities and buying it. Smithing also has the problem where they clearly ran out of levels, because level 99 gives you like 15 new smithable items, that stopped being useful to you back at combat level 80, if even that far. Smithing could benefit from some leveling, so that each tier is grouped tighter together so that some of the stuff can be shuffled down, and leave more top end room for much needed expansion (if Jagex were to decide that high end equpiment should be gainable from more than just loot, or if they create another worthy use for the smithing skill like repairing that high end equipment).

But if your rescaling the skills up to higher caps, then you need to rescale the skill itself so that say a skill at 120 does not actually require over a year to complete for the average joe. Dungeoneering did this with an xp curve. Past 99 the xp rate is massive, which is why 120 dungeoneering is obtainable in less time than several other skills getting to 99.

The problem with just blasting the caps up to 120 and calling it a day is market. WoW already proved that they couldn't sustain themselves on a game that focuses on grinding, and they did it years ago. Now, RuneScape can afford to be more grindy because the actual playerbase is a lot smaller, so proportionally there are more grind style players available. But we have already been seeing a massive trend to provide alternatives to grinding, because players who enjoy a grinding game are a quickly dying breed, and a game that relies on them now is doomed. This is the reality of cultural change over time.

If you made all skills 120, your best bet would probably be to redo the entire xp curve and set 120 at about 102 on the current scale (and obviously dungeoneering xp rates would need to be massively tweaked to match). Alternatively, you put in the 120 level cap as is, but don't add any useful content past 99 at all, and leave the last 21 levels as boasting rights, with maybe some cosmetic gains (though since the table already sorts by xp, this would be pretty much wasted time). Anything else and your catering to your few hard core players at the expense of your majority base.

100% Support! I really want them to increase all the levels to 120 each. It would allow so much more freedom to add high-level content.. Higher summoning familiars, elder trees, elven trees, higher leveled monsters, new slayer creatures, new runes to both craft and use at higher levels, concentrated runite ore, etc..The possibilities are endless. :).

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

While I agree they could add content, I feel that it alienates too many players. We need quite a bit more xp boosts and filling in content of other skills before that happens.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

There's just way too much work for 120 skills to be implemented. First Jagex needs to fix all skills so that they are useful on their own to train. Make 99 in every skill actually useful. As opposed to the comp cape being useful just because the cape itself is very good. That would probably take a good 5 years + to do for all skills. Then Jagex could think about adding content for 120, as well as working in actual content for 120 and increasing exp rates so it doesn't take the average player 10+ years to max.

Honestly, maxing already takes most players several years to achieve. We DON'T need to make it harder.

I swear, I think half the people who want 120 skills just want RS to return to the day when there was only 3 maxed players in the entire game. And I think they don't realize that the overall mentality of the game has switched. Many people view maxing as the way to beat the game or something. 120 skills won't deter people from wanting to max, it would just frustrate them because of how grindy it would be. And I can guarantee you, if 120 skills come out, they will have their own skillcapes and 120 skillls will be on the comp cape or trimmed comp cape or something. Also, you're frustrating all sorts of players who have 99 combat stats and suddenly need to do 5x more work to be maxed combat again.

I for one would like Jagex to revamp like 75% of the skills in the game to make them useful to level, have useful or semi-useful content at 99, and standardize training rates. At level 80ish (maybe 85) I'd like to see every skill have a afk or semi-afk traning method that gets 100k exp/h and a more click intensive training method that gives say 150k exp/h. Then MAYBE they can think about 120 skills. Think about 120 skills after comp cape is something the average player can reasonably obtain in under a year or two.

Honestly, there's just so many way skills can be improved without 120 skills. And 120 skills would just detriment skilling overall unless it was done right.

Imo, the only idea I've seen involving 120 skills that I wasn't immediately against was putting in 120 skills on highscores ONLY.

• Like 1

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Again, this sort of thing would probably be a no-brainer (minus the potential implications of combat skills) if training skills was actually fun.

Even if it was fun, 120 still represents an extraordinary amount of grinding. I think Dungeoneering is actually a really fun skill, but it's still a really difficult stat to achieve, even with the super-fast XP gains at the end. You still don't see that many people walking around with True Dungeoneering Skillcapes and it's not even included with the Max Cape.

Overall, it's just a bad direction in which to take the game.

If a skill is fun, then the "grinding" is irrelevant because you're enjoying it every step of the way.

lets say you enjoy CoD. Lets say you had a goal or there was an achievement for getting 1 million kills online. I wonder at what point it stops becoming being a fun match and it becomes kills per hour, kill farming, and other stuff that is much faster kills per hour but much less like regular gameplay.

I can see some players in this situation making ghost accounts to farm, paying other players to leave their game on and stuff like that to get the achievement. Even if the regular game was fun for them I would imagine that this completionist personality type would see it as "xp waste"

I don't really see how this would alienate players. The 99 skillcapes are still there. All the current content is still there. If people aren't phased by the idea of spending a minimum of 175-200 days gametime to max, I don't see how 120s would concern them either. Whether the caps are 99 or 120, the idea of getting every skill that high probably doesn't even enter a new players head.

Asmodean <3

The main problem with leveling in runescape is the fact that the curve for xp gains platues and goes flat while the curve for level gains rises exponentially. If they rebalanced the xp gains over the levels to scale exponentially raising levels wouldn't be a problem.

When I get to a computer later I will draw a picture to explain this better.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Once there is sufficient content between levels 1 and 99, they should start working on 120s.

Seriously -- I'm not against raising the levels but let them get some content in place first, shall we?

Indeed, it seems like most skills weren't balanced with even the upper-80s in mind. This kind of thing wouldn't make sense unless you did EoC-level overhauls of a number of skills.

Then again -- perhaps if they incorporated an idea i floated about a while ago in the Tip.It Times. If they opened up Dungeoneering, and brought the content that is limited therein out into the rest of the game, they might have sufficient content therein to overhaul some skills for the purposes of raising max levels to 120 ...

:unsure:

nyuseg.png

I don't really see how this would alienate players. The 99 skillcapes are still there. All the current content is still there. If people aren't phased by the idea of spending a minimum of 175-200 days gametime to max, I don't see how 120s would concern them either. Whether the caps are 99 or 120, the idea of getting every skill that high probably doesn't even enter a new players head.

I'd be more worried about how the playerbase with their eyes on skillcapes, maxed combat and maxed/completionist capes would feel.

The thing about 120 in all skills is that the game needs so much overhauled before it happens. And realistically it'll be like 5 years or more before the game could become ready to implement something like this.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png

Alright this isn't exactly perfect but it should help me explain myself.

level120ideals.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The problem with rs is that the time it takes to get a level is an exponential curve the same way that experience required is. Now it make sense for the experience required to be exponential because you need it to be more of a challenge, what doesn't work is having time required be a sharper curve. In current game the xp rate reaches a maximum, which for most skills has reach a level which people are satisfied to achieve level 99. 120 is such a huge distance away that the current caps wouldn't allow you to level in a decent amount of time.

What needs to happen to fix that is to move the exponential growth in time require into experience required. There is no reason that time required shouldn't be a linear function. In my ideal model the say the time for 98 - 99 is 10 hours, the time between 119-120 should be say 20 (all numbers are arbitrary), instead in the current live game if 98 - 99 is 10 hours 119-120 could be 100 hours. This scale of time required doesn't fit the play style of the game and the majority of people wouldn't partake because the time between achievements becomes so large.

World of Warcraft has a near perfect example of leveling curves, the amount of xp required can grow by as much as 55% at the upper levels, and the amount of xp you gain per quest scales at a near same rate. This allows for the time between levels to grow, so you have to work for the next one, but not outpace the amount of experience required. If WoW had a system where level 40-41 was 2 hours and level 84-85 was 100 hours it wouldn't be nearly as successful. This is because the game is based on end game content, while Runescape is more about the process of getting to the end.

Another problem lies in this because the player base is moving away from the Runescape style of leveling to one where end game actually means something to many people. This is why a total rehaul of the system would be required.

If your interested in this, I've also come up with a way to overhaul smithing/crafting/mining to suit a higher level cap, but that can be a post for a later date.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Although experience gains shouldn't plateau (although admittedly challenging for things like cooking/fletch without minigames/overhaul), I think that your graph is flawed. It should take more time to get each level as you progress, and having xp/hour matching xp/level would be silly.

Your explanation makes more sense though. Dungeoneering got it right with the continually increasing prestige.

VJH7N9F.png

zuzmo.png 

Jagex can't even fix the content gap between 90-99, making content for 120 for all skills is just insane. I'd rather they focus their energy on new skills, fresh stuff that will actually be interesting, not more grinding.

• Like 5

2480+ total

In my opinion, they should only raise the skill cap to 120 if (a) they have saturated levels 80-99 in all skills with content, (b) xp rates are considerably faster than they are currently from 99 on (or at least it would take significantly less time to reach 120 from 99), and © they have immediate plans to add content in the levels of 100-120 in all skills. Otherwise, it would be unnecessary (a), too advantageous for PvP and PvM (b), or utterly useless except for bragging rights/combat skills ©.

I don't foresee them raising the skills cap for another few years, if they ever do. I'm not opposed to it, but we don't even have content up to level 99 in most skills, and it would be a massive grind to stay competitive if the xp rates aren't raised considerably.

• Like 1
Zeni.png

No. Simply no.

There's no need to encourage this type of madness. If anything I am for capping the max XP at 20M or something. MMORPG's can be terrific fun but they also have destructive capabilities and I would rather that thousands of more people were not encouraged(in any way) to spend countless more hours on this sort of stuff. Maxing already entails having spent several years(on average anyways), no need to multiply this by several times.

Jagex can't even fix the content gap between 90-99, making content for 120 for all skills is just insane. I'd rather they focus their energy on new skills, fresh stuff that will actually be interesting, not more grinding.

Or even just making existing skills worth training for more than just the max/completionist cape requirement.

• Like 1

You wouldn't have xp rates increase as sharply as you suggest jayc. Whilst they should increase on an exponential like xp gap per level, it should still require more time to get from level 104 to 105 than from 103 to 104. A simple modification of the exponent would be fine for that. If xp gap was ^x, make xp rate to the half x or something. But yes, I do agree that xp rates should increase post 99.

Asmodean <3

Actually, his graph is just different from what he says. He thinks exp should increase exponentially and exp/h increase at a slightly lower exponential rate. More importantly, having a linear increase in the time it takes to level up.

And honestly, I'll keep repeating this, there's at least 5 years of work to do before you can think about 120 skills. Revamp all skills so that they're useful, set up a baseline for exp/h and implement it in all skills. This baseline will include a semi-afk method and a faster click-intensive method.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png