RuneScape BTS#34: The Kalphite King

Demoli

Would it be a bad idea to have new bosses drop lvl 90+ gear, and at the same time release new raw materials for 90+ mining/smithing/efc to repair it? To give skillers a source of income again

I would say yes. I think it's a generally bad idea to make high end skilling profitable. It further separates the elite from the mid level players. Levels 1-70 need to be more profitable, but that's not possible with the bot problem.

I disagree. The higher level you go the more desire for the item from the community. Generally in a progressive game the further you get the more resources it takes to get further along - and thats a good thing. I think the whole "separating the elite" argument is a bit more on the whiny side than it needs to be and reasoning within it is baseless. The only on base point that helps the argument is that generally these things should be untradable after a point. I mean yeah ok maybe the weapons themselves could be made untradable, but how about leaving the resources for repair tradable. This gives pvmers the spotlight in the show while letting people make some money off the repair items. Heck they could even make the repair items untradable and open up a pseudo market with the assist system letting people repair for them at a cost. They've mentioned they wanted or said it was possible to rework the assist system to allow currency trade for assists.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I'm not sure how many high level players would do a 500k-1m gp/hour method, honestly. I think if all tier 1 potions (especially prayer) were made f2p, p2p members could kill chaos druids for decent gp/hour to fund their skilling.

Maybe it's 3 am that's talking.

first off, bots

secondly, even without bots, chaos druids are in a tiny area, and their super low hp means you can split shot a lot of them to death very easily, which means that each spot would not support more than two to three players anyway

you'd have to introduce a wide range of activities in order to satisfy the population, without bots

since we have both the numbers and the bots issue this might take a while

oh yeah, the high end skilling

i generally approve of creating demand for high level production since at the higher levels the gains generally don't match the effort as the scaling generally renders anything above mass production inefficient, thereby making the finished products increasingly worthless

however, this only really works if once again the midlevel players are able to afford the training as more demand puts stress on the value of those items

some skills are still in the dark ages in terms of accessible training tiers

8f14270694.jpg

will be there new chaotic weapons over those new kalphite king weapons ??? like not only require high attack/str/def.. also required high dung like over 100+ (100 or 120).

by the way i got 99+ and never had chaotic weapon.. =D

will be there new chaotic weapons over those new kalphite king weapons ??? like not only require high attack/str/def.. also required high dung like over 100+ (100 or 120).

No.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Chaotic's time at the top is up. Expect more level 90 weapons outside Dungeoneering.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Similarly, http://services.rune...nges-to-the-eoc

We’re almost finished with our latest batch of changes to the EoC, focusing on the issues I described in my last Og Blog.

The changes below are certainly not the final changes we will be making to the EoC as a whole, and the specific ones below will be monitored carefully to ensure they have had the desired impact.

In order to make sure that the below changes are well integrated into the existing game - and, in particular, the upcoming Kalphite King launch - we're not unleashing him just yet. The Kalphite King update will happen on the 14th, at the same time as these changes, to ensure that it's the well-balanced - not to mention brutally challenging - boss fight that you deserve.

Change to the Offensive Capabilities of High-Level Bosses

As mentioned in my last Og Blog, we've noticed that several of the more profitable bosses in the game are being killed by players of a lower level than we had originally intended, and using lower-levelled gear than we had predicted. To address this, we will be significantly increasing the offensive capabilities of these NPCs, meaning that higher levels and better gear will be needed to efficiently take down those opponents. Creatures affected will include the God Wars bosses and the Corporeal Beast, to name a few.

Change to the Defensive Value of Armour

At the moment, the difference between, say, level 70 and level 80 gear isn’t great enough to matter for standard combat training and boss hunting. Understandably, this means that people aren’t investing in the best gear available to them. We are changing that.

The defensive values of armour will now be plotted on an exponential curve rather than a linear one. At higher levels, the difference between sequential armour pieces will be far greater and, therefore, will make a far more noticeable difference in combat. It will also better match the upward curve of XP required to progress through those higher levels, making the highest-level gear optimal for battling your way to 99!

Strength Boosts and Set Effects

We will be adding individual strength boosts to all Torva, Pernix and Virtus gear, and a few other items like the Bandos Chestplate. The 'Nex gear' will also have an additional strength bonus in the form of a set effect. The above three areas of change will mean that higher combat levels and higher levels of gear will be needed to defeat powerful NPC opponents.

Healing Effects of Abilities

We are reducing the effectiveness of the Regeneration and Rejuvenation abilities. We noticed that less food was being taken into battle than before because the healing values of these abilities were stronger than we had anticipated. To address this, we will be increasing the cooldown on the Rejuvenate ability to 5 minutes (making it an infrequent, emergency heal) and reducing the effect of Regenerate by 20%.

This - along with the changes to defensive armour, bosses and strength boosts - will mean that more food will be needed in battle.

This is intended to stabilise the value of these items on the GE in the short-term, and to increase their value in the long-term.

Chaotic Add-On for Dragon Claws

We will be adding a new piece of chaotic gear in the form of chaotic claws. These claws will be slightly different to existing chaotic equipment in that you’ll need to mount the claws onto an existing dragon claw weapon – both the off-hand and main-hand pieces. To compensate for this additional cost, the Dungeoneering token cost of the chaotic add-on will be significantly lower than equivalent chaotic gear. At a faster attack speed, and with increased crit chance, the chaotic claws will be formidable tools to use.

Upcoming Content Updates

The planned Kalphite King and the Ranged Slayer dungeons will both require the very best equipment for effectively fighting the foes found within. Buy up some awesome gear now to avoid disappointment!

The Next Game Update

The next game update will, therefore, be in the week starting 14th January. During that week - a combat bonanza of epic proportions - we will add the Kalphite King (the toughest monster ever!), Hati and Sköll, as well as a huge list of player-recommended changes to the rest of the game.

Thanks for reading. As always, I look forward to reading your thoughts on the forums. Let us know what you think about the above changes!

Mod Mark

RuneScape Design Director

Discuss this here.

Thus ends the brief period where the endgame was accessible to those of us that aren't billionaires :wall:

• Like 3

Does this mean they will finally add the set effects to popups on the items so that regular players can tell what the effects are??? I'm tired of explaining that some items have passive bonuses when there's nothing on the item popup or equip screen to see.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

I think exponential increase in armor is fine. Crit weapons are fine.

The issue is making armor that gives crit, but makes you "squishy". Meaning armor for offense should have o<d. Armor for defense should have d<o which is how it is now with little or no offense capabilities.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

The issue is making armor that gives crit, but makes you "squishy". Meaning armor for offense should have o<d. Armor for defense should have d<o which is how it is now with little or no offense capabilities.

I'd like to see a bit of variety like this within tiers. Say, you have one set that's the 'balanced'/basic/unremarkable one, a set that's more offensively-inclined, a defensive one, and one that has a unique set effect.

I'd like to see a bit of variety like this within tiers. Say, you have one set that's the 'balanced'/basic/unremarkable one, a set that's more offensively-inclined, a defensive one, and one that has a unique set effect.

I know it would make for bad PR doing that, but WoW honestly got it right for the most part here. The next step for runescape is facilitating the need for tanks and DPSers. The best way honestly is probably by introducing a stun canceling ability with their next boss. For all we know the KK could be that boss. Maybe he will require being stunned and the use of that aggro grabbing ability... Incite right? Maybe then with the aggro he'll fling his AOE at him reducing the overall damage.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Am i the only one who thinks jagex had this nex set rework planned for kk release? in that picture, they show a 10k hit, which is pretty (bleeping) hard to reach that many lps atm in rs, but with an armour rework, and a non-linear increase in hps from armour... foreshadowing anyone?

meamzed.png

I'm willing to bet jagex makes an instance for the harder version of the kalphite queen and label her their first 'legacy' boss. This will be similar to WoW raids and herioc versions of raids. This kq will have obviously better drops, but I'm betting she will have unique drops.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I'm going to use that insect repellant from Catherby on him, maybe he dies! :D

I'll give science a shot.

Since insects breathe through tubes in their exoskeleton his continued breathing is merely a function of surface area to volume. My theory is that, as he is so large he will start to suffocate as soon as he spawns due to his respiratory system being unable to keep up, thus all I have to do is wait him out. Sciencescape!

• Like 3

Since insects breathe through tubes in their exoskeleton his continued breathing is merely a function of surface area to volume. My theory is that, as he is so large he will start to suffocate as soon as he spawns due to his respiratory system being unable to keep up, thus all I have to do is wait him out. Sciencescape!

I'm also not sure if there are any insect kings to begin with, so he might not exist at all. Maybe the drop just spawns as soon as he would?

I'm also not sure if there are any insect kings to begin with, so he might not exist at all. Maybe the drop just spawns as soon as he would?

Thought the same thing and I recently looked it up. Turns out termites have "kings" but I'm not sure if they're really super-boss-murder-lords like the Kalphite King is supposed to be.

I'm going to use that insect repellant from Catherby on him, maybe he dies! :D

I'll give science a shot.

The way I heard it explained is that for an insect to be twice as large as it normally would be, the oxygen in the atmosphere would have to be twice as prevalent. Basically because they "breathe" through tiny openings in their exoskeleton where the oxygen disperses and then it's put into the bloodstream. That's actually why in illustrations of some times in Earth's past there are like giant dragonflies, because at some points our atmosphere was like 20% oxygen which could sustain huge insects.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

The way I heard it explained is that for an insect to be twice as large as it normally would be, the oxygen in the atmosphere would have to be twice as prevalent. Basically because they "breathe" through tiny openings in their exoskeleton where the oxygen disperses and then it's put into the bloodstream. That's actually why in illustrations of some times in Earth's past there are like giant dragonflies, because at some points our atmosphere was like 20% oxygen which could sustain huge insects.

Arthropods today also have circulatory systems that aren't particularly efficient for larger bodies, and I think they would also need exoskeletons that could support that much more weight, as well. I could be wrong, I don't remember it as well as I should.

Look at us sciencing when some of us are going to be shooting fireballs at it with our minds.

It could be that the Gielinor atmosphere (or even just the kalphite give) contains a higher percentage of oxygen than what our dear Tellus does. Also, while on earth, insects couldn't grow extremely large because of their inability to keep the structure up, it is already known that the gravity on Gielinor must be lower than on earth - and thus they can grow much larger. If the kalphite king/queen are too big even when according to the lesser gravity, I don't know. We can still use the magic explanation.

(why is the gravity lower, you say? Considering how our person without big troubles can carry hundreds of kilograms, even run a bit with it, it would be fair to assume that the weight of it must be lower than on earth)

(why is the gravity lower, you say? Considering how our person without big troubles can carry hundreds of kilograms, even run a bit with it, it would be fair to assume that the weight of it must be lower than on earth)

I don't think it's really meant to be realistic seeing as carrying 2.147b cannonballs, assuming an average weight of 20 pounds each, would be the same as carrying 410 Titanic ocean liners on your back. Stacked bow to stern this stack of over forty-two billion pounds of material would stick straight up 68 miles into the sky.

• Like 2

and our character can do that without a backpack/packho(unicorn sorry) to carry it all in. not sure if you can apply real life to a video game... But if you could, i'de be interest to know exactly how nex happened

meamzed.png