What's wrong with playing RuneScape, honestly?

TzTok - x - Jad

Sorry if I didn't put this in the right forum category... I looked a few times and didn't really find anything that would fit it better >.<

Anyways, this may seem long, but just bear with me. You'll find this very interesting.

So, I've been a BIG RuneScape player for about the past year now, it's really the only thing I really ever used to think about. It's basically in my blood. I used to talk about it to friends, but all I'd ever hear from them is "HAHA lowlife loser!" or "nolife!!!" and garbage like that. I would even hear it from past players, players I used to PLAY THE GAME WITH. I know it's hyppocritical, and I should realize that. I would usually laugh a little, but in the back of my mind, I always thought... "Are these guys serious? Is RuneScape really that bad? Should I quit?"

Well, I'm gonna tell you this right now. I went to Indiana for my spring break, and I was there for the whole time (minus one day,) which was about a week. I started a new RuneScape account, after ending the life of my month-old PK Pure account... basically gave everything away on it. I made the account on April 11th, 2012. I got back home on April 8th, 2012. After my last day of rest, I went back to school on the 10th, so I made my account a day after the first day back at school. So I had the account for about a year.

Before losing my account, among that one year span, I clocked in 250m total XP and 14 99's. The account was banned on February 11th, 2013, so I had the account worked on for exactly 10 months. I had 99's in Attack, Prayer, RuneCrafting, Herblore, Thieving, Fletching, Cooking, Mining, Fishing, Woodcutting, Firemaking, Hunter, and Farming. I also had 98 in Strength and Constitution, 92 in Ranged and Crafting, and 80+ in every other skill. It was banned for suspected botting when I actually just heavily AFK'd skills, and sometimes stayed logged in just to farm certain crops that took a long time to walk too. Basically, every time someone brings up RuneScape to me (which a lot of people do just to make fun of me,) I tell them I have a noob account so that I don't look like a nerd, or w/e you are for playing RuneScape. If I go "Yeah 14 99's in all these skills" or etc, you'll look like a nerd. Well, now I'm about to explain why playing RuneScape isn't even bad, and why you shouldn't be considered a nerd for playing it.

Why should you not be considered a nerd for playing RuneScape?:

First off, RuneScape isn't anything more than a grind-fest. You do the same thing over and over again, expecting different results each time. The game is basically Albert Einsteins definition of insanity. So, you can say you're insane if you play RuneScape. Or you can just say you enjoy the game. Either way, you're doing the same thing over and over again. I really do NOT see how that makes it nerdy. Of course, there's a lot to learn about stuff that isn't existant, but there is in almost EVERYTHING this world has to offer. If you know a lot about football, how is that not nerdy? All it is is either trying to throw and catch a ball, or trying to stop someone from throwing or catching a ball. That's everything you need to know. All those offensive plays, the screen passes, the certain positions, that's just stuff that you need to know to play the game. It's only existant in the game you're playing. That's how it is about RuneScape. So basically, if knowing a lot about RuneScape makes you nerdy, then knowing a lot about "the extremely manly sport that makes you popular if you play it" (football) also makes you nerdy.

Think about it, though. Everything that makes you popular is just a basis of one simple thing, and it's the other surrounding things that make it a larger thing. Like honestly, here's something that's a perfect example: sex. I don't know if I should be talking about this here, but I'm going too. All sex is is putting a penis in a vagina. Knowing outside things, like positions, speed, etc. are what make it enjoyable. Knowing all of those things? I guess that makes you nerdy. Just like RuneScape. For Firemaking, you know that you're supposed to burn logs. Knowing, say, what logs to burn. You need knowledge to do that, which, apparently, makes you nerdy.

Hopefully, that makes sense. That's why you shouldn't be considered a nerd if you play RuneScape.

Why is playing RuneScape not a bad thing?:

Well, let's start it off here: I ate a TON during spring break. Ate out somewhere every day, multiple times a day actually. Had a day where we ate at 2 resturaunts and got fast food twice as well... in one day. So, when I came home, I weighed myself. I'll inform you of that weight later in the story.

So anyways, after I got into RuneScape, I was addicted. It took my life over. I stayed home about 15 times at the LEAST to play RuneScape, and wouldn't leave the computer when I did. I get home from school... just to play RuneScape. I didn't care about much other than it.

So I realized that I had just failed 2 classes the previous semester (despite every other class not being anything lower than an 85%) and if I didn't pass every class this semester, I have to go to summer school. The only problem I had was Algebra..a hell-spawned class that refused to let me pass. The first thing that popped into my head when I saw I had a 56% in that class was RuneScape. I cracked DOWN on that class. The last 6 weeks I lacked a missing assignment and a test that I got lower than a C on. I wound up passing the class with a 59.51%, lowest possible D. I would've failed it if it was an Honors class, which I would've needed a 67.51% to get a D in it. Thank god I've never taken an Honors math class.

So, all my classes passed. Summer's here, and I'm clear!!! No summer school!!!

TIME FOR RUNESCAPE!

Wasted my whole summer on RuneScape. Other than to leave the house for a split 30 seconds to let the dog out or take out the trash, I probably left the house about 15 times in the 12-week summer. I never went to anyone's house, besides my dad's, I went to a few places, I went to the beach, I went to Chicago, and I had friends over 3 times in total. Rest of the days were 10+ hours/day on RuneScape. Biggest waste of time in my life... or so I THOUGHT.

I thought all this computer time would've made me gain weight and become extremely lazy, but here's a few scenerios that I'm sure we've ALL had before.

Mom/Girlfriend/Guardian: Hey, you want some food/meal?

You: No thanks, I'm busy.

Right there. Eating would be a waste of XP. So you decide to skip meals sometimes. I did the exact same thing. Of course, they wouldn't be vital meals. I would just skip lunch or dinner and lack eating snacks the rest of the day. I would still ear breakfast FIRST thing when I get up, even before I use the bathroom. That speeds up your metab. really good, gets it kickstarted. You'll end up burning a lot more calories when you do (it's only about .5 calories/pound, but still adds up to a lot.)

Keep your needed meals inside you, and skip the unnecessary ones. With my weight, I was burning about 2500 calories/day with my speedy metab. And my caloric intake wasn't much more than 2100. What did that result in? Losing a pound every 10 or so days from doing absolutely NOTHING.

Another thing: I used to drink a LOT of pop. When I started getting addicted to RuneScape and hated wasting XP, I needed something to keep me up overnight. So, I switched to LO-CARB Monsters. First thought: "OMG BUT MONSTERS R BAD 4 U TOO!!!!!" Okay, I know. Lo-carb. Look it up, 20 calories/can. Much better alternative than pop. I drank, probably, around 50 of them during the summer, better than 50 pops.

So, here's what happened when school started again. I ended up not missing a single day of school first semester, but was still obsessed with RuneScape. With Physical Education class, along with a big ass school I had to walk around a lot, I was getting about 30 minutes of moderate exercise/day, so woot!!! And I was still hooked on RuneScape. My outside-school time was all dedicated to RuneScape. I wound up with one F, again in Algebra (should've just taken it in the summer.)

I was banned on RuneScape for botting assumptions, and yet to get anything from Jagex about reinstating my account's privlages. I basically gave up on that account. I made a new account and got 83.5m Firemaking XP and 99 Woodcutting on it. I've given up on it now too, though.

So, about the weight thing. It's been, roughly, 11 months since I recreated my RuneScape account. Right after coming back from spring break, I weighed myself. I was 5'5" and weighed 253 pounds. FML. After doing NOTHING with my life, except RuneScape, I weigh myself 11 months later. 5'8" and 213 pounds. OMG DAVID U LOST 40 POUNDS FROM DOING NOTHIN!?!?!?!?! Yup. Probably don't think RuneScape is all that bad anymore, do you?

If you think RuneScape is still a bad thing, you're retarded.

Now, I'm not saying "Dudeeeee, play some RS to loze weight!!!!!!" No, not at all. This was just because of my constant meal-skipping and making somewhat healthy substitutes. This could've been because I weighed a ton before all of this, as well. I'm still overweight, but not obese anymore.

I've quit RuneScape now, because I wanna try to use my new self out in the real world a little. That, and I'm starting to get into Call of Duty: Black Ops II. More of Call of Duty than not.

So, here's a pros and cons list of playing RuneScape excessively if you're extremely overweight:

Pros:

Lose weight if you decide to skip meals because of XP wasting.

Increase brain size and amount of knowledge it can hold.

Get somewhere in RuneScape, so you can actually enjoy the game the way it was meant to be played.

Have something you can enjoy.

Cons:

Excessive play can lead to eye strain.

It eats your life away. Only do this if you're a nolife/lowlife.

See how there's more pros than cons?

Thanks for reading guys. I appreciate it. Comment if you want.

If you're reading this from FaceBook, yes, this is David Brian Easley typing this.

Oh, and just imagine if I took out a few hours to exercise/day during the summer. I would probably be ripped right now.

• Like 1

Skipping meals, not quitting eating altogether. It was basically just a substitute to eating less food, instead of eating my whole day in a meal. I still got all the nourishment that I needed.

Terrible/10.

Moreover, you should get past the notion that what people think of you on this is at all important.

spoilerit'snot/spoiler

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

I play Runescape, have for years, and take it relatively seriously. However, I have no illusions that it is basically an extremely addictive, destructive and unproductive activity that has a myriad of problems that it could inflict on those who do play it. And then of course we still have no idea how much we will discover about the psychological effects of MMORPGS years from now. It's a vice. The social pressure against it, however cruel it may seem, stems from rather logical and rational grounds. Don't delude yourself into thinking this isn't true. Play Runescape if you enjoy it (that's what I do), but do so without any illusions.

• Like 1

It was banned for suspected botting when I actually just heavily AFK'd skills

Too bad that Jagex views AFK training in the same light as botting, then...

So, here's a pros and cons list of playing RuneScape excessively if you're extremely overweight:

Pros:

Lose weight if you decide to skip meals because of XP wasting.

Get somewhere in RuneScape, so you can actually enjoy the game the way it was meant to be played.

Have something you can enjoy.

Cons:

First, and most importantly, you exclude an important demographic - those that are grossly underweight. Yes, they do exist. "Unhealthy weight" has two edges to it. That, and skipping meals is a HORRIBLE idea.

Second, I found going to college (you know, the place where you pay money to get large amounts of knowledge) offered me more than RuneScape ever could. I won't deny that the game is what inspired me to be a developer, but I sure as hell didn't learn how to program from it.

Third, finding/having something to enjoy need not be tied to a game at all. It could be exercise, it could be study (this was my haven), it could be socializing. I see this as a muted point.

Now, I'm not going to say that RuneScape is bad for you. But anything taken out of moderation is a bad thing. You've got some epic misconceptions about what is "good" for your body and livelihood so I'd strongly encourage you to get them sorted out before debating your points again.

• Like 1

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

If you dig too deep into the "What's wrong with X, honestly" question, you'll always end up answering "nothing". But ultimately, people don't pick on players because playing RS is immoral, which is what you asked; I think it's because they assume that makes them less fun to be around (which is not as bad a heuristic as you can come across; RS is a pretty dull game most of the time so it's reasonable to expect fun, outgoing people to have better things to do) and that it makes them feel better about themselves.

As someone else pointed out, it might also be a mechanism to get you to do other "normal" things that you'll actually enjoy.

And Cracked on the matter, sort of:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18571_5-reasons-its-still-not-cool-to-admit-youre-gamer_p2.html

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH.

HAHaHah

hahaha

haha

ha.

You can't be serious. I understand the rest of your "pro/con" list using your logic, but this is just ridiculous.

• Like 1

45,657th to 99 Range 29/09/09 , 41,018th to 99 Mage 13/11/09

rangecapecombined.gif__________________magiccapecombined.gif

I'll be honest, I only read the end of your post, that was way too much for me to bother reading sorry. Either way though, I feel like this whole thing is a plea for you to make yourself feel better about playing tons of rs. Your pros and cons list is extremely biased to benefit your reasoning too. You leave out a ton of cons and your pros are all fabricated from extreme reasoning.

Try making a pros and cons list instead for not playing rs. I'm not going to bother making it for you because I have better things to do but there are so many things you can do that benefit your life and overall happiness more than rs. Sorry to burst your bubble but this is just ridiculous.

80aa0daff6.png

Nate's Big Blog

4,000th to 99 crafting, 33,340th to 99 defence, 3,867th to 99 farming, 55,293rd to 99 hitpoints

Cons:

See how there's more pros than cons?

Lol that's like saying, "Taking heroin will give you feelings of euphoria, relaxation, and love. The only downside is that it will probably ruin your life. But that's only one downside, and there's THREE perks to doing heroin! Therefore, heroin is good!"

• Like 8

77yLQy8.png

This sounds like an attempt to rationalize clearly excessive behavior. You need to get your problems sorted here. Please speak to a medical professional. I'm serious.

• Like 1

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Here's the impression I get from you. You're trying to convince us that your runescape time, where you became a shut-in and your grades dropped, benefited you and wasn't a bad thing. You want to convince us so we can in turn convince you.

Guess what. Not gonna happen. Playing 10 hours a day with virtually no other human contact is unhealthy. I don't want to make you feel bad, it's just a fact. Just because there was one positive outcome out of it (you lost weight) doesn't make the whole thing good overall.

Losing weight isn't the greatest thing either. I lost weight with no effort of my own because I became type 1 diabetic. I'd rather still be 200 pounds then stick a needle in myself 5 times a day, as well as all the damned paperwork and money for insulin. (Money and paper work part is far worse too.)

Bit of a tangent there. Point is... what you did wasn't healthy. We aren't going to tell you it was healthy or that RS was good for you. You know this, you just don't want to admit it.

Also, who gives a [bleep] if people call you a nerd. Embrace nerd-dom. And these days, being a nerd generally means you enjoy some combination of video games, or fantasy or sci-fi or comic book heroes. I'd bet a pay check that at least a quarter of people my age consider themselves nerds. (Well, maybe. A paycheck is a lot of work..)

//ramble ramble diddly dandle

• Like 1

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I will never get the time back it took me to read this.

Essentially:

People look down on RuneScape because (if they play MMO's/Games) it's not as intense/"hard"/good graphics as other MMORPG's and games or (if they are not a gamer) because it's an MMORPG.

Don't place your self-worth based on how other people view your activities.

Be a good person and anyone worth two cents will like you regardless of your game habits.

That being said, you have to leave the house to show people you're a good person, serve your community, talk to people, work a job - do something actually productive. Runescape should be a hobby not a lifestyle.

And I agree with everyone above, you basically want to justify "no-lifing." Runescape in and of itself is not bad, but anything over-used is destructive, regardless of your weight loss.

Birdd-1.png

[spoiler=Levels]Birdd.png

yes (damn u jagex u got me playing again)

And I stayed at home a year because of personal reasons, spent many many many hours on runescape, way more than currently, I lost weight, House was cleaner than it was than when I'm at school instead of at home. But I still definitely prefer being in college than being at home nolifing rs and not being in college.

The weight came back + more at college, pretty sure having not enough calories per day did slow metabolism + make me ravenously more hungry at school......There are other ways to make healthy choices besides nolifing scape all day. Btw monster is horrible for you. Yes only 20 calories is still horrible for you they even have a warning on the can. (I drink it too though)

However scape is definitely good for relaxation. You can multitask it way easier than other games.

But I've noticed you really don't get thaaaat much more productive by simply quitting scape, I've been in school 4 semesters since that year at home. FIrst semester, good grades shitty social life, Second semester, shitty grades nice social life (though not really any good friendship ties) third semester, Got addicted to kongregate, decent grades. current semester, damn 07scape, ok grades.....

But the brain stuff - pssh go study.

Socail life stuff - involves confidence and meeting people - however if you are highly introverted, like myself, its ok to spend most of your time alone.

But yea there is a difference between Obsession, addiction, and just playing alot for fun. And yea its hard to know when you crossed those lines, different people have different opinions on how much is too much.

If this was about being a closet scaper or not. Well I'm pretty closet scaper but some people know.

StarViv.png

Socail life stuff - involves confidence and meeting people - however if you are highly introverted, like myself, its ok to spend most of your time alone.

I'm very introverted. I also enjoy meeting new people wherever possible and discovering what makes them tick. If I spend too much time indoors and on my own, I start to get fidgety. When I'm talking to people, I can usually do so in my own witty, facetious and confident manner. Being introverted just means I'm primarily occupied with my own thoughts and feelings instead of those of other people.

Being introverted is a very poor justification for playing RuneScape for large quantities of time.

• Like 2

You need to reorganize your time and put real world things first. Make playing runescape something you like to do for fun. Not your life. Yes, it can get very addicting, but you need to learn how to control it.

Think about it, though. Everything that makes you popular is just a basis of one simple thing, and it's the other surrounding things that make it a larger thing. Like honestly, here's something that's a perfect example: sex. I don't know if I should be talking about this here, but I'm going too. All sex is is putting a penis in a vagina.

Clearly you've never seen two men have sex.

Only thing the OP has proven is how unhealthy addiction is, and that he is certifiably insane and has zero basic understanding of the world outside of his house.

• Like 1

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I've played rs for roughly all of my highschool life, and I personally have found it essential to my sanity... Due to early school trauma, I've never had many social skills, and I really HATE the social aspect of school;spending time penned up in a concentration camp with people I really don't like; Rs has given me a social aspect to my life; a hollow one, but to me, far better than none, But I have friends on here who I trust and like; and who let me be who i really am, and don't just see the mask I wear.

I'm tired of hiding the fact I play rs, and I really dont see it as bad; compared to the drinking, dangerous drugs and sex which seem to be "normal" for my generation.

I refuse to bring myself into range of such things, and I really don't think rs is bad compared to that.

Despite having been addicted to rs for YEARS, I've still managed A's in about 90% of my classes. This game has been essential to me for my sanity, because school is so unbearable.

Anyway, past me and the OP, I believe this thread needs a re-direct; no more focusing on the OP's flaws, but could we change it to discuss why rs is so unacceptable, and yet other games arnt; incredibly more violent games which are desensitizing today's youth to violence, and training an entire generation in war? How can this be acceptable, and yet Rs not? Why are we who play rs so alienated What are some of the pros and cons of playing rs? (not the grind so much, but the challenging aspects of the game)

Personally, I've learned how to solve puzzles due to rs(or mental challenges, more than just puzzles), how to keep semi calm under stress (heavy bossing where 1 screw up means riptagon), and I've made some wonderful friends, who I do stay in contact with even after they've quit.

• Like 1
meamzed.png

What, pray tell, is wrong with teenagers (over the legal age) getting drunk and having sex? It's perfectly normal.

Drugs are a complex issue of legality and health which requires far more scope than this thread can offer, so I'll kindly remove that from the discussion. Perhaps more appropriate for an OT thread, although it's not like we've had enough of those over the years.