Yay minigames! Oh wait...

X3EN

If you give them good rewards, they'll die again eventually (see: penance horn), and then players who want that reward will be screwed. Just let them be dead.

Not with a constant flux of new players who "need"/equipment the horn at certain levels. Runescape should really shed away some of those long term members and work on refreshing its userbase (Or imo a total reset at RS3).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

If you give them good rewards, they'll die again eventually (see: penance horn), and then players who want that reward will be screwed. Just let them be dead.

Not with a constant flux of new players who "need"/equipment the horn at certain levels. Runescape should really shed away some of those long term members and work on refreshing its userbase (Or imo a total reset at RS3).

They would never do this but that's a very interesting idea. I wonder how many people would just quit if they did..

Tg_Ibe.png

Another solution could be to make some of these long standing minigames F2P. For example moving BA to Gunnar's Ground and letting F2P share in some of those rewards. F2P could us a nice fun minigame, and while the penance armor is useless, I think F2P could embrace the exp horn. FoG was only rendered useless because of EoC and how exp is calculated. F2P is limited in exp methods, so while the horn my be forgettable in P2P, it would be welcomed in F2P.

• Like 2

29386_s.gif

"Goals dont have a deadline." -xxxgod quoting Lady Shahdie

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

F2p Gop is kind of an underground competition. The people that are very good at it continue to 1v1 each other and try to get better scores and what not. Besides that it's basically dead. :(

The problem with me is whenever I play minigames i feel like i'm xp wasting. =/

Not to start a fight, but if you're going to enjoy social aspects of the game, then don't worry about xp efficiency while doing that. Minigames are meant to be fun in terms of letting someone relax after being on 'a constant xp efficiency spree', a.k.a. 'a major grind'. :shades:

~D. V. "Don't let it get to you!" Devnull

• Like 2

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Not to start a fight, but if you're going to enjoy social aspects of the game, then don't worry about xp efficiency while doing that. Minigames are meant to be fun in terms of letting someone relax after being on 'a constant xp efficiency spree', a.k.a. 'a major grind'. :shades:

~D. V. "Don't let it get to you!" Devnull

All the more reason for them to get rid of some of these game and pass the rewards on. Minigames are meant to fun but if you can't even get the min amount of people to play it won't be fun. FoG pre-EoC is a GREAT example of what minigame should be/can be. It was a fun and simple pvp game while still a good training method. You could go in with intent to gain good free magic exp or "test your might".

Runespan is different in that it was a minigame specifically to train runecrafting. Flash Powder Factory too, but was still a little fun in that you could steal from other players and train 3 skills.

Some minigame are just more fun than others, and a bit part of that is because you aren't exp wasting terribly while playing. Same with D&D. And just a note, Runespan doesn't need a min player amount to do for the most part, so I don't think it need to be on that list.

29386_s.gif

[slayer "Essentials"][click pic for main blog][click quote for mini blog][Worthwhile Auras]

The problem isn't that the minigames are boring (well that is a problem for some...), but that there is very little incentive to continue playing them.

There's only so much you can offer players before some other minigame/activity beats it out. You can reward them with items, or you can provide them cheap XP or fast XP There's the problem there: that's only two dimensions of rewards. If the minigame doesn't offer cheap or fast XP, it gets old fast.

As others have said, Jagex should remove the dead minigames. But you try convincing a developer to delete their own content.

Or they could just make good minigames. There are only a few minigames that are actually fun on their own, without having to rely on their rewards to keep them active. Castle Wars, Soul Wars, Stealing Creation, etc. are all classics... all the others are underdeveloped trash that are either boring or frustrating.

As others have said, Jagex should remove the dead minigames. But you try convincing a developer to delete their own content.

A large (or as some would say vocal) part of the player base got Jagex to bring back OSRS...

Some content just was never meant to happen. Others; however, just fell out of style with the times. Those games can benefit with being moved to F2P or having their rewards moved to another piece of content.

29386_s.gif

Fish flingers isn't dead world 89 always has at least a few dozen people :?

yeah. 2flingfish is always fairly busy, especially on weekends

Tg_Ibe.png

The only reason it isn't dead is because it's a trim req.

Make every minigame trim reqs and they'll become busy in no time.

(Although it isn't that bad xp-wise either IMO.)

The tacklebox is was also very useful for PVM. I'm pretty sure Fish Flingers would be worth doing even if it wasn't for trim or the tacklebox.

• Like 1

Tg_Ibe.png

Nah, it wouldn't be worth it.

On a related note, imagine trying to get your tacklebox in a year or two, when most people who want trim have already trimmed. Fish flingers will be dead and you will be screwed.

Disagree with you on your first point. People play it for the fishing outfit, the tacklebox, and the great XP. :).

• Like 1

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

Disagree with you on your first point. People play it for the fishing outfit, the tacklebox, and the great XP. :).

Agreed. Fish Flingers always gave more exp for the time spend there compared to the time I could have spent barbarian fishing when I used w89. The tackle box is of no real use to me than save bank space or tele fish from fishing challenges, but I think the exp is still good. Why would people still suggest doing it alongside barb/C2 fishing (unless secretly everyone who makes that suggestion assumes you are going for comp cape).

In any event, Fish Flingers isn't a minigame (Official Wiki defines it as a D&D).

29386_s.gif

People were playing fish flingers even before the trim req and fishing outfit. Obviously many more now, but you get my point.

• Like 1

Tg_Ibe.png

Because some news still interest the person...

OT: Are there any RSOF thread constructively suggesting what Jagex should do about dead minigames? I say constructive because I get the feeling 9/10 will be whine whine whine bring [insert game here] back...

29386_s.gif

While I don't play RS any longer, I'm still somewhat interested in how the game is doing, plus I've come to like a lot of people both in-game and here on the forums...

Though admittedly I usually keep to the off-topic section, browsing somewhere else usually means I'm either bored or actively procrastinating (Like right now, dammit)

They need reduce the number of worlds the game has. Whilst you may think that'd be a bad idea, it means worlds have more players so minigames are used more because players aren't spread across the entire system. It also means maybe the price of the game would be reduced or at least remove the need for SOF perhaps?

Either way I've always thought there are far too many worlds. They need to reduce the number of worlds down to at least 100 or so. 140 is way over the top considering how so many people have actually stopped playing the game altogether.

Last point though, with RS3 being HTML5 powered, maybe the ability of being able to play on mobile devices will bring players back?

• Like 1