Runescape Dying? [Discussion/Observation]

Pat_61

But no-one here is saying just throw it at someone who disagrees.

People are saying it in the context of people who truly utterly hate Jagex and the game and the direction it's taken and find nothing good in anything they've done for years and do not have any constructive proposal or idea. These people clearly have no idea of how the game should progress as they just want it to go backwards and do not find any enjoyment in it, all they do is hang around to whine and moan about how bad things.

Not to people who dislike the eoc or nis or w/e, but still enjoy the game and have constructive ideas on how to better it or at least can get on and enjoy the game without dragging every possible topic in to a diatribe about how the game is ruined and dead and jagex killed it.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Guest Smelly Paws

I see alot of people fighting for a game they love, compromise should be made within the community to keep it high and keep it strong.

Just saying quit just shows the spite in the community and its not very nice to be around. Not only do people leave one by one, I doubt many others feel welcome. Its just not a simple thing that should be thrown at people who disagree with something.

The first step is to listen to their proposal, and see what you can get from there on. Not omg just quit.

No, that isn't the intention at all.  I would rather players stayed but be a little more grown up about it and get on with it.  Contrary to what you're saying, the spite rests with those who stick around but whip up a cauldron of hate and/or bad feeling.  If they can't it's best for them and the newer RS community members that they leave.  It's almost like they don't want anyone else to enjoy the game because they themselves can't or won't. 

I see alot of people fighting for a game they love, compromise should be made within the community to keep it high and keep it strong.

Just saying quit just shows the spite in the community and its not very nice to be around. Not only do people leave one by one, I doubt many others feel welcome. Its just not a simple thing that should be thrown at people who disagree with something.

The first step is to listen to their proposal, and see what you can get from there on. Not omg just quit.

No, that isn't the intention at all.  I would rather players stayed but be a little more grown up about it and get on with it.  Contrary to what you're saying, the spite rests with those who stick around but whip up a cauldron of hate and/or bad feeling.  If they can't it's best for them and the newer RS community members that they leave.  It's almost like they don't want anyone else to enjoy the game because they themselves can't or won't. 

Thats the problem, compromise is needed. On both sides. Whilst not the intention it still gives that vibe.

It just is not a nice thing to say in general. People lash out because they care, work with that. Simple. And if people are being ignorant and keep ranting. Let them rant, just don't give them attention.

Thanks god of lego, you completely understand my point. I gave EoC a chance, even though I haven't liked it from the beginning. I tried, I have quit but I care about the game i played and loved for 6 years until it was dramatically changed and MANY people have quit cause of it, i used to have friend lists with people in 2010 and it used to be so active, now not a single person is online, on any account of mine at all.  

Guest Smelly Paws

Thats the problem, compromise is needed. On both sides. Whilst not the intention it still gives that vibe.

It just is not a nice thing to say in general. People lash out because they care, work with that. Simple. And if people are being ignorant and keep ranting. Let them rant, just don't give them attention.

It isn't nice to hear other people badmouthing the game just because a portion is implemented that they didn't agree with.  It further compounds matters when they stick around doing it while contributing nothing positive.  There are a number of updates that I didn't agree with, but others love, but I don't feel the need to cancel members then to keep telling the whole world that Jagex sucks.  I am always willing to compromise when people behave like adults, not whingy children.

• Like 1

It isn't nice to hear other people badmouthing the game just because a portion is implemented that they didn't agree with.  It further compounds matters when they stick around doing it while contributing nothing positive.  There are a number of updates that I didn't agree with, but others love, but I don't feel the need to cancel members then to keep telling the whole world that Jagex sucks.  I am always willing to compromise when people behave like adults, not whingy children.

Still doesn't give people the right to react back just as bad. It works both ways. Just because someones being an ass it doesn't mean you have to go and be an ass too.

I don't understand the vitriol regarding EoC.

I will agree the new interface kind of sucks, but overall EoC is very much superior to the old combat system. Yes, it has its flaws such as failing to maintain a balanced triangle but that is more a result of a lack of forward thinking with regards to how new items are obtained and less because of how EoC is designed. EoC made combat much more fast paced and involving. Before, it was "sit there and watch your character attack while occasionally using a special attack or eating."

If they would just balance out the drop rates so that the t90 magic/ranged weapons were not 100x as difficult to obtain as the t90 melee gear then the triangle would balance itself.

4NIrZ.png

That would depend how an induvidual sees "superior" I personaly dont see it being superior as spamming keys is even more mind numbing that click and wait. The moster its self is what needs to be interesting not the typical fight. Both are bad in that market.

Special attacks and the the way armour used to work added alot of variety when setting up to fight and how you fight compared to now. I prefer that over a typical get your best level armour 2135324052345

So would I be wrong in saying that the divide is basically between "I like it because it's more involved" and "I don't like it because I wasn't playing this to be involved"? A lot of the better criticism I've seen revolved around the game's simplicity being its main strength, and that's the kind of game that people wanted. Today combat is more involved, but you basically have to pay constant attention to a completely monotonous process (the average slayer task) or there's too much to keep track of at any given time (mass PvP). Especially if you made your decision about it either early in the beta or a short while after the official release, when it... had flaws, to put it lightly. Not that it doesn't now, and I'm saying this as someone who hates just about everything about the old system.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's basically a boss fight system. Runescape's PvP'ers have enough to pay attention to without worrying about abilities and statuses, Runescape's slayers don't need to pay constant attention to kill hundreds of enemies that can't realistically hurt them. Maybe they should balance momentum a bit better?

The fact that they basically said "[bleep] it, we're done" when it wasn't close to being finished doesn't help much either.

• Like 1

It also wasn't a good idea to dramaticaly change a games system when people have played the game for years. Its a kick in the teeth. It wasn't a healthy decision. I find Jagex try to hard when really all they need to do was base things off the old system if they wanted to upgrade. Its the same with the Dragon weapons upgrade. The Longsword looks awful now. I prefer the old. All they needed to do were give it more polys to give it a razor sharp looking edge and better hilt and textures.

The old system should of been expanded on and all future monsters should of been more interesting.

• Like 2

That's sort of the point where you risk getting into "no compromise": it can change, as long as it doesn't change.

It's sort of a balance between changing too much and changing too little. EoC may have changed too much too quickly, but there were too many flaws with the old system for them to keep it as the base. More than a few of the system's current flaws are holdovers from the old system.

...Naturally, this is my own "no compromise" point. :-P

It should of all started with LP boosting potions, and armour upgrades that add LP. To combat power creap. Simple things like this added on and carefully designed over time would of been perfect. As for the fighting. Well if the developers cannot be creative thats their fault. Not the combat system.

It would of also helped to add the magic and ranger equipement needed in a balanced way. Bat wing etc just looks thrown anywhere.

I also find that Jagex are offensive based. With the release of overloads and turmoil it was getting very high DPS. They could of added a smithing and crafting alternative to deflect that a tiny bit. (pvp, even though they were banned in wild. But based on expanding armourers)

Meh.

I guess the ability spamming doesn't bother me because I am used to playing games like that. Just about any MMO you find will have a system that boils down to that-- spamming the right abilities in the right order ad infinitum.

And the armor system really did not change that much. Previously, you still had clear "best" in-slot items. Bandos/Torva was the best offensive melee gear, Whip/Crapier was the best weapon, etc. It's not really changed much. And the fact that abilities do not consume resources made using magic/range in PvM viable.

4NIrZ.png

Sure you used the best if you could. But because levels dont really matter to much its not either have the best or fall behind. And theres little option to mix and match these days. And i've never been a fan of spamming keys. Its a bore to me. But thats all down to personality towards games.

Guest Smelly Paws

Still doesn't give people the right to react back just as bad. It works both ways. Just because someones being an ass it doesn't mean you have to go and be an ass too.

No I think you're confusing 'reacting back' with friendly advice.  Who really decides they don't want to play a game any more but sticks around trying to make everyone else's gaming a misery?  Out there in the real world they'd be told to you-know-what off.

No I think you're confusing 'reacting back' with friendly advice.  Who really decides they don't want to play a game any more but sticks around trying to make everyone else's gaming a misery?  Out there in the real world they'd be told to you-know-what off.

The point is, its not a nice thing to say altogether. Whether they are being an ass or not. It doesn't give a good vibe.

@Everto: Best-in-slot is all good and proper, but you used to have a subtle interplay between attack and strength bonus, defence bonus, prayer bonus and so on. Nowadays, everything not power armour is essentially equal (certainly for slayer and so on). There is no weapon power-up to be unlocked through questing or skilling whatsoever. It is very easy to see what is better, and that's just boring. The old cls vs. rapier discussion would be impossible under the current system.

As for abilities, Jagex should be explicit about ticks. They are using seconds when it's completely inappropriate*. RS is turn-based, not real-time, and it shouldn't pretend to be RT when it's not. In addition, abilities should be queued (press 1-2-3-4 and relax for 7.2 seconds, allowing you to eat and direct your familiar). Targeting is messed up, the action bar is unresponsive especially with lag, most interfaces have delays that were added with NIS, generally NIS lacks flexibility (ironically) in key areas and some interfaces are unclosable (party interface, ports ships interface). There's more, and that's even aside from balance and interesting game design. RS3 on the whole is a pretty big failure, even though there are definitely nice things in there (action bar, disconnecting special attacks and weapons, lp boosting on all equipment, equalizing magic/ranged/melee potions and prayers, rebalancing equipment).

tl;dr RS3 wasn't worth the development time (no improvement), but it's not worse than RS2.

*There are probably three abilities of which the descriptions completely match their effects, even ignoring the tick/second thing, which is a pretty bad score even for Jagex.

• Like 1

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

the bad part about RS3 is that jagex shows no interest in fixing the major issues NIS/EoC has. 

• Like 3

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Of course RuneScape is dying. It always has been dying; it just hasn't been obvious 'till the last couple of years. In fact, we're all dying right now. Just very very slowly.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

• 1 month later...

It really is a simple question.

-F2P represents the new players of Runescape.

-The game now is way too hard for new players to understand even the basics, especially considering a lot of the new players were under the age of 13.

-Heck, I've played the game for 9 years and I find myself lost in RS3.

Things can't go back they've gone too far. I wish it didn't have to be this way

I do not understand the combat mechanics anymore. I've played RuneScape for over 12 years.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It is personally tough for me to weigh judgment on this topic, so far anyway. We all know that Runescape has lost activity, but the activity decrease seems to be waning off. I am not implying that Runescape is not dying, but if it is then it is dying a lot slower than people make it out to be.

I'd love to see the game get back to its 100k+ days, but for now I think we will have to get used to the current activity levels of the game.

-Sobend

Proud to be free from the tyranny of pants. Hurrah!