Behind the Scenes - January 2014

Miss Lioness

[hide]

No no no no upgrading gear is terrible for the game

I'm not entirely sure I agree with this... what's so bad about it? Making items that come from ports be able to upgrade other weapons etc sounds like a good idea to me. With it coming from ports it means there's nothing really new added into the game as like a drop, and its untradeable so you can only DIY... It's not that much of a "grind" really as all you do is send ships out and then wait for them to come back... plus you could add all sorts of nuances to customize each player's weapons to whatever they like... How would this be bad?

It's bad when it involves (tradeable) items that should be useful at lower levels, because they essentially stop being low-level items. Like Dragon -> Ascension crossbows: being used as a component is going to keep them out of the price range of everyone with 60 ranged, they may as well not exist for that tier.

So suggesting it was a misstep on my part. While I'm a fan of ensuring that you don't just throw away your old gear when you've outgrown it, the way Runescape's market works makes it more than a bit unfeasible... Would it work better with unique quest items like the Gadderhammer or Shadow Sword?

I can see the problems with tradeable items such as the dragon crossbow, but i was just curious how it would be so bad with untradeable things like port supplies. Make it like a customizeable aspect such as from FFX where you can give certain boosts with certain items. Make like 100k jade give 20% more health when added to a plate or something like that. I'm not too good with ratios though, but something along those lines where you give up nontradeable resources that are easily obtainable with few requirements gives decent rewards. Heck maybe even you could do something like MTK only with the elf story line and make that into a way to invent more buffs or whatever to your gear.

When i was talking of upgrading items i didn't mean use items of a certain tier to make higher tiered weapons, sorry if that was unclear. I meant more as in buff up my weapon keeping it the same level however through using nontradeable items you can make that same tier weapon/armor into something that is actually better.

As for the unique quest items I think they would fail just simply because jagex... remember keris buff? Yeah.

EDIT: @Mere, I can see your point about the rock-shell armor and such but if you can also upgrade bandos then doesn't that make the entire problem moot? I.E. instead of having only certain armor be able to upgrade, it all becomes upgradeable? And you could add certain things to it in order for no armor to become really too OP, for instance make only certain armors be able to have certain benefits and buffs "attached" to them?

No, making everything upgradable would just equalize the demand for all armor sets. It'd make rock-shell as efficient to get as Torva, and Bandos as easy to get as rock-shell, and Torva as easy to get as Bandos. I don't really have time to explain, but I think it's obvious why that's bad.

[/hide]

I can see the point with that, I just don't think I'm getting across my idea well enough though. I don't mean upgradeable armor as an you can keep upgrading it forever, it obviously has to have limits. Giving items slots and tiered benefits would be one way I could imagine setting all the different armors etc apart. For example:

Each armor gets its own class such as tank, power, or hybrid. Tank benefits include chances to avoid poison/stat reducing things increases to lp, prayer, or defensive ratings. Then Power would obviously get things such as increasing damage dealt, accuracy ratings, or something along those lines. Hybrid would have benefits combined but obviously due to being hybrid still receive the penalties of a lower tiered armor rating and life point boost due to using two styles.

While all armors will retain their life point boosting capabilities, armor ratings, and accuracy ratings they currently have, you can just add to them according to their tier, up to 5 different benefits. Now armors that have no level req or are up to 10 can have no benefits. The rest are tiered this way:

10 = 1

30 = 2

50 = 3

70 = 4

90 = 5

Now, upgrading the armor for rock shell would mean you can only add 3 benefits, Bandos could only add 4, and Torva would also give 4 benefits. That hardly seems fair right? Well instead of having all the benefits be the same, make them benefit each tier differently. So for Bandos armor you get a 5% increase, however Torva gets a 15% increase since it is 10 levels higher. That way no matter if it has a weird tier or not it gives a benefit appropriate to its level and the number of benefits available at any given time are appropriate in the grand scheme of levels.

This gives a greater variety of styles for play and can help even out level gaps in certain cases. It allows players to get benefits that they want, or upgrade their armor so that it is closer to the tier above. However, they would have to limit the boosts and such so that they wouldn't go over the tier above but you can probably get the gist of the idea from that.

Sorry I sort of went on a rant there, but I think this would be something they could implement with a bit of thought that would help balance out combat a bit more.

Mlskid.png
Summoning help:
[hide=Wio, lol]logioh.png[/hide]

No no no no upgrading gear is terrible for the game

I'm not entirely sure I agree with this... what's so bad about it? Making items that come from ports be able to upgrade other weapons etc sounds like a good idea to me. With it coming from ports it means there's nothing really new added into the game as like a drop, and its untradeable so you can only DIY... It's not that much of a "grind" really as all you do is send ships out and then wait for them to come back... plus you could add all sorts of nuances to customize each player's weapons to whatever they like... How would this be bad?

It's bad when it involves (tradeable) items that should be useful at lower levels, because they essentially stop being low-level items. Like Dragon -> Ascension crossbows: being used as a component is going to keep them out of the price range of everyone with 60 ranged, they may as well not exist for that tier.

I think that's a problem of the components being too hard to obtain; Lv. 60 rangers shouldn't be expected to be able to finish While Guthix Sleeps and kill Tormented demons to get Dragon crossbows (nor should they be expected to get ~95 Fletching for Elder bows, but at least Elder bows are widely available since a lot of Elder logs are coming into the game so they can buy one at a reasonable price on the G.E.)

They wouldn't be worth 20m or whatever if high levels weren't buying them. They'd be worth less than 5m. Consider that claws went from 40m to 200k because high levels no longer use them, so limbs wouldn't be expensive once a couple hundred of them entered the market.

They wouldn't be worth 20m or whatever if high levels weren't buying them. They'd be worth less than 5m. Consider that claws went from 40m to 200k because high levels no longer use them, so limbs wouldn't be expensive once a couple hundred of them entered the market.

That's actually not true... pre-ascension dragon crossbows were just below 20m...(but that was really just due to the fact that maybe 5 people killed them total after eoc and they really didn't change price on the ge due to no one buying them) and now they've settled just above (Due to actually being useful in making ascension bows). The reason that claws dropped is because they are worthless due to chaotic claws and having no spec... So I guess they would still probably be 20m on the G.E. just due to no one buying them for that price because its not feasible for the level, although they probably should be worth about 5m... at the most.

Mlskid.png
Summoning help:
[hide=Wio, lol]logioh.png[/hide]

Chaotic claws require a set of Dragon claws to make though.

My guess is that there already was a far too great amount of Dragon claws in the game compared to the amount of people who wanted to have Chaotic claws.

Dragon limbs were added with eoc

Stev was pretty much the only person who killed TDs until the ascension dungeon came out

Now everyone and their mother kills TDs, because the ascension dungeon prevents the price of limbs from falling to a stupidly low price.

By the time chaotic claws had come out, almost everyone already had level 90 weapons or at least a chaotic weapon, so the demand for claws didn't increase much. It didn't help that there were already a million claws in the game.

• Like 2

No. If it's released in an existing tier (tier 7, for example), then it'd make all other tier 7 weapons obsolete, because it'd be so much easier to obtain. If it's a new tier, then it would probably be faster to level with a T-2 weapon and level to T than it is to earn the money for a T-1 weapon and level to T. If you make the quest item harder to obtain than a standard weapon, then it won't be used.

Also, if you make it a comp req, it counts as being easier even if it's actually harder, because getting it would be 100% efficient.

I'm fine with quest items having special effects (such as darklight against TDs), because that doesn't really impact the market.

I'm suggesting something similar to what they did with Balmung: the upgrade turns it into an okay weapon except in certain situations where it becomes a great weapon.

...I'm going to leave efficiency arguments out of this, because (as you might already know) I have such huge problems with the way people use that approach (In every game, not just Scape) that I'd almost certainly get a warning out of it.

Pfft inb4 useless like ferocious ring damage and greater runics spell absorbing... Sounds very neat on paper, does nothing in practice.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

I think the discrepancies for smithing/fletching levels will be adjusted once they get to the reworking, however, we're still waiting on that...

the supply of lower level gear being based on high level players is a gross misappropriation of content though

• Like 1

8f14270694.jpg

I think the discrepancies for smithing/fletching levels will be adjusted once they get to the reworking, however, we're still waiting on that...

the supply of lower level gear being based on high level players is a gross misappropriation of content though

When they rework these skills I hope they finally address the giant derp of crossbows.

Ever since eoc we have very clearly been using crossbows with wooden limbs and metal stocks made from metal limbs and wooden stocks...

• Like 7

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

When they rework these skills I hope they finally address the giant derp of crossbows.

Ever since eoc we have very clearly been using crossbows with wooden limbs and metal stocks made from metal limbs and wooden stocks...

Similarly, adding a string to a longbow staff makes a giant metal shield grow from the front.

• Like 5

Similarly, adding a string to a longbow staff makes a giant metal shield grow from the front.

Indeed that needs fixing (imo you could just repurpose square shields into bow-shields since shields are borderline useless anyway and we don't really need 2 types per metal and you could easily rejig the elder shieldbow to incorporate dragon OR you could just take a leaf out of elder shieldbows book and have them all have wooden shield-type bits), but at least that one you can semi excuse as fantasy game mechanics, the same way you ignore the fact hitting bars a couple of times with a hammer can fuse them in to a plate body etc. There no way around the fact when you assemble your crossbow the materials some how invert themselves.

The sad thing is with that one using the above idea of repurposing square shields its not even really hard to fix, you don't even really have to do any graphical work for it the ninja team could just literally do a quick recode for the materials needed for the shieldbows up to magic level and simply rename the square shields to 'bow shield' and take out the stats and wielding. Where as the crossbows there is no way to fix without graphically redoing all the component items or the crossbows themselves.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

that would be acceptable to me

10k of each would be a bit more of a challenge

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

• 3 weeks later...

Each armor gets its own class such as tank, power, or hybrid. Tank benefits include chances to avoid poison/stat reducing things increases to lp, prayer, or defensive ratings. Then Power would obviously get things such as increasing damage dealt, accuracy ratings, or something along those lines. Hybrid would have benefits combined but obviously due to being hybrid still receive the penalties of a lower tiered armor rating and life point boost due to using two styles.

Two problems:

1. Jagex has proven time and again that they are incapable of making defensive gear an equal counter to offensive gear. Ex: pre eoc Nex gear, post eoc power gear, the plethora of historically useless defensive specials, and the simple fact that there was a small fraction of monsters that even came close to doing enough damage to even take food let alone do anything remotely defensive.

2. I haven't played in a while, so I forget how long a game tick lasts, but that's how long it takes to change gear in Runescape. Nobody who takes a few minutes to think about it will use hybrid simply because the instantaneous, god-like nature of changing gear means that carrying an offensive set and defensive set (lol) will bring all the benefits of both without the penalties of hybrid armor.

• Like 1

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun