Failing Agility Obstacles -- Unknown factors?

oddfaery2

Tonight I just got done with a project I was working on and thought I'd give agility a little attention before I went to bed. As usual, I went to the Canifis agility course to do so, except tonight was a little different...

Ever since 70 agility, while training in Canifis I only take two items: my ectophial and ring of Charos. From level 70-73 I fell MAYBE once or twice a level. Also, after falling, I was always back to full HP long before I would ever fall again.

From level 73 on, I hadn't fallen a single time until tonight (started at 20k from level 77). I did my typical 2-item routine all this time, never worrying about food, because if I died I would just teleport back, no big deal (this is also the only way to get the stick out of the arena... and you can bank it).

Tonight, as usual, I didn't take any food, as I haven't fallen enough to put myself in risk of death (30 hp or less), or even close, in several months. What i did do differently, however, is bring a nature amulet for the herbs just outside, and a load full of energy pots.

Tonight was a spectacle... Within the first 5 trips I had already fallen from the zip line... I was quite shocked. After over 500k xp of never falling, any thoughts of my success rate being a fluke were completely out of my head. I continued on though, and within half an hour, I fell SIX times.

The Suggestion:

Is it possible that factors in falling could include the NUMBER of items you carry, and not just level or weight? Or is it possible that even if pots will give you a weight smaller than 1kg, that it will have this kind of impact?

Perhaps somebody else could post their experiences? Maybe Jagex changed success rates? Maybe my streak was a fluke? Maybe # of items is a factor?

So in summary, I'm suggesting that the number of items you carry may factor your agility success, even if they are weightless items.

This is based on the following:

• over 500k xp in agility without a single failure while carrying 2 items

6 failures within 20k xp (after the 500k) while carrying an inventory of weightless pots.

What do you think?

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Proud to have gotten 1800 skill total before access to fishing guild

Why make a house when you can rob one?

would make sense..

walking across a line with practically nothing then doing it again with say just 3kg, i think the added weight would affect your balance. not sure if this is the case in game, but in logic/theory what you are suggesting seems accurate enough to believe.

bob7926.png

Interesting, never experienced somthing alike.

I use the agility arena, and takes a nearly full load of cakes some cash and dragon long inside the inventory (for randoms, jungle spider outside, etc). I never noticed that I fall more in the begining (when full with cakes).

However, I noticed somthing else. When you fail an obsticle, and immediatly try to do it again, the failling chances are much higher then regular. For example: Usualy, I pass the spinning blades about 75% of the time. If I do fell, there is at least 50% to fail the second try.

L.Bellatrix.png

Slayer: 85/85, Herblore: 82/82, Farming 81/82, def 99/99.

new goals: full sardomain costum from t.trails (2/6), slayer 87/90, attack 98/99

Dragon drops: 4 half shields, 2 dragon spears | whip drops: 5.

barrow drops: Ahrim's hood

Tonight I just got done with a project I was working on and thought I'd give agility a little attention before I went to bed. As usual, I went to the Canifis agility course to do so, except tonight was a little different...

Ever since 70 agility, while training in Canifis I only take two items: my ectophial and ring of Charos. From level 70-73 I fell MAYBE once or twice a level. Also, after falling, I was always back to full HP long before I would ever fall again.

From level 73 on, I hadn't fallen a single time until tonight (started at 20k from level 77). I did my typical 2-item routine all this time, never worrying about food, because if I died I would just teleport back, no big deal (this is also the only way to get the stick out of the arena... and you can bank it).

Tonight, as usual, I didn't take any food, as I haven't fallen enough to put myself in risk of death (30 hp or less), or even close, in several months. What i did do differently, however, is bring a nature amulet for the herbs just outside, and a load full of energy pots.

Tonight was a spectacle... Within the first 5 trips I had already fallen from the zip line... I was quite shocked. After over 500k xp of never falling, any thoughts of my success rate being a fluke were completely out of my head. I continued on though, and within half an hour, I fell SIX times.

The Suggestion:

Is it possible that factors in falling could include the NUMBER of items you carry, and not just level or weight? Or is it possible that even if pots will give you a weight smaller than 1kg, that it will have this kind of impact?

Perhaps somebody else could post their experiences? Maybe Jagex changed success rates? Maybe my streak was a fluke? Maybe # of items is a factor?

So in summary, I'm suggesting that the number of items you carry may factor your agility success, even if they are weightless items.

This is based on the following:

• over 500k xp in agility without a single failure while carrying 2 items

6 failures within 20k xp (after the 500k) while carrying an inventory of weightless pots.

What do you think?

Actually, there werewolf course is different. In the werewolf course, the less you carry, the better you do on the zipline, so you should wear ectophial, ring of charos, and boots of lightness. (Though if you die you keep the stick over the ring of charos... but then you can just steal one from Dr. Fenkenstrain on the way back. Though you're lighter, so you fail less, so you probably won't die.)

KwimSigFinal-1.png?t=1304744327

Combat 116+; Total 1900+; All Hard Tasks; (Nearly) All quest points; (Nearly) All skills 60+; An aquatic moose ninja.

Currently: Using 63 hunter to get some of those "Chins", then I'm going to range stuff down. Interruptions of agility when I feel like it, as well.

And lucky enough to get 4 Dragon and 6 Barrow Drops.

[hide]Kwimbob now looks exactly like me in real life except for hair color. Yes, this means I look exactly like the protagonist of that certain anime that my second character, Faye_V is also named after. Yes, I bought a jacket that also looks like his. No in real life I don't have a slain bear to sling over my shoulders. Yes, I'm that skinny even if I no-life it for years in basements. No, I can't shoot a gun. Yes, I can win any other strategic video game you have never played - because I probably have, ahahaha. And yes, I also have brown eyes, yet one of my eyes looks different from the other. And yes, I'm completely oblivious to the [real] world around me as I constantly engineer new solutions to daily problems in my head. When I get hungry, all that isn't food can wait. When I'm sleepy - nothing is of any priority in front of sleep. But at any other time, I never slow down. Never give up. Never Surrender. Makes for a good life.

[hide]YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT.

- See You, Space Cowboy.[/hide][/hide]

He says that higher str and less weight makes you fail less. That's not "nknown"

Oh yeah, sry.

I'd just go with that whole luck thing....

Sometimes things are so exaggerated by randomness like this... that it really makes things seem like it really was updated. (Hence all the "whip special is changed!" and aaaaaall of those topics after every update.)

But I'm not sure... this one does sound like something is up.

KwimSigFinal-1.png?t=1304744327

Combat 116+; Total 1900+; All Hard Tasks; (Nearly) All quest points; (Nearly) All skills 60+; An aquatic moose ninja.

Currently: Using 63 hunter to get some of those "Chins", then I'm going to range stuff down. Interruptions of agility when I feel like it, as well.

And lucky enough to get 4 Dragon and 6 Barrow Drops.

[hide]Kwimbob now looks exactly like me in real life except for hair color. Yes, this means I look exactly like the protagonist of that certain anime that my second character, Faye_V is also named after. Yes, I bought a jacket that also looks like his. No in real life I don't have a slain bear to sling over my shoulders. Yes, I'm that skinny even if I no-life it for years in basements. No, I can't shoot a gun. Yes, I can win any other strategic video game you have never played - because I probably have, ahahaha. And yes, I also have brown eyes, yet one of my eyes looks different from the other. And yes, I'm completely oblivious to the [real] world around me as I constantly engineer new solutions to daily problems in my head. When I get hungry, all that isn't food can wait. When I'm sleepy - nothing is of any priority in front of sleep. But at any other time, I never slow down. Never give up. Never Surrender. Makes for a good life.

[hide]YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT.

- See You, Space Cowboy.[/hide][/hide]

would make sense..

walking across a line with practically nothing then doing it again with say just 3kg, i think the added weight would affect your balance. not sure if this is the case in game, but in logic/theory what you are suggesting seems accurate enough to believe.

I know weight does effect things; if I had additional weight I wouldn't have bothered posting.

The point here is that even with the pots, my weight is still 0kg... so maybe weight isn't the (only) factor, but the spaces being taken up in inventory.

e.g. perhaps you'd fail more with 10kg spread over 20 items than carrying 10kg with a single item.

tipitcrewex8.jpg

VERY interesting... I remember trying with full cakes, boots of lightness, ring of charos and glory. Needless to say I fell a lot.

I guess the best way to go about this experiment is to bring a full inventory of something light, each 1/2 kg, then brinning 1 item at about 14kg(equal weight, very different item total) and trying 20, 50, 100 times each.

I know this might be to difficult to program.. but maybe it's the KIND of item..

Vials break easily, so doing agility with them should be harder then some armour that can't fall..

Probaly not..

Semi - retired, playing WoW

Combat lvl: 103 | Total lvl: 1542

Goals: | Fletching lvl: 97/[b:05c6bf8

Strength and weight are factors on the zip-line.

I'm not suggesting otherwise... just that they may not be the ONLY factors...

tipitcrewex8.jpg

e.g. perhaps you'd fail more with 10kg spread over 20 items than carrying 10kg with a single item.

i dont see how that would make a difference. assuming the runescape character uses a backpack to hold items in inventory, if you have a back pack full of items and a backpack with one item both weighing the same...i dont see how the backpack full of items could make you fall more.

i understand this is a game, but in logic, the only contributing cause would be weight, not amount of items. but that is my opinion, im not an agility expert in life or in the game.

bob7926.png

Lots of smaller things spread all over your body wouldn't affect you centre of balance so much as a single lump of granite strapped to your back.

BTW If you take a cork, stick a pin in the bottom, and two forks in the sides, with the handles hanging down below the pin, you can balance the cork - on top of the pin - on a wine bottle.

Completely useless, but kinda fun! :D

I have to get practically naked when I'm cooking bacon.

I may be immature, but that made me laugh!

i dont see how that would make a difference. assuming the runescape character uses a backpack to hold items in inventory, if you have a back pack full of items and a backpack with one item both weighing the same...i dont see how the backpack full of items could make you fall more.

i understand this is a game, but in logic, the only contributing cause would be weight, not amount of items. but that is my opinion, im not an agility expert in life or in the game.

I don't see how either... it makes little to no sense... which is why I posted lol...

as I said in the first post, over 500k (consecutive) xp without failures while carrying no unnecessary items.

20k xp with 6 failures while carrying no weight, but a full inventory of weightless items...

So while it DOESN'T make sense to be a factor... perhaps it is?

tipitcrewex8.jpg

In my experience I fall more the closer I get to a level no matter what im carrying

I've heard that and suspected that before too, but I didn't fail any when I was nearing the last 3-4 levels, so I dropped that thought.

tipitcrewex8.jpg

You just had a nice lucky streak or you forgot if you fell.

I mean 500k is a while at the werewolves so you may have just forgot that you fell once or twice.

My perception of luck is that it is streaky.

I can go several hours at the werewolves and not fall and then fall back to back to back.

I'd keep bringing the potions and a little food since the course is alot faster if your always running.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

I mean 500k is a while at the werewolves so you may have just forgot that you fell once or twice.

I can go several hours at the werewolves and not fall and then fall back to back to back.

I'd keep bringing the potions and a little food since the course is alot faster if your always running.

I agree.

And also, what you people are thinking of is too complicated for Jagex. Nothing else in RS is this complicated, so why should this be an exception?

Kostyaf.png

I agree.

And also, what you people are thinking of is too complicated for Jagex. Nothing else in RS is this complicated, so why should this be an exception?

# of items in inventory being a factor is no more complicated than when you get told you can't pick items up while your bag is full... it's not like I'm suggesting something completely off the wall.

And no, I didn't forget. I noticed at 70-73 how I pretty much never failed and started keeping track, and was pretty surprised I went so long without a single fall. I would've definitely noticed when the streak was ruined.

I did go back today with less items and still fell once or twice though (was very little, but was double what I used to carry) today... It is entirely possible either Jagex updated the zip line or that my 500k xp of no failures was a fluke.

tipitcrewex8.jpg