Miss Lioness

Who uses the correct definition?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Miss Lioness or Miss Lioness' friend

• Miss Lioness
    • Friend of Miss Lioness
    • Both are right
    • Both are wrong (comment why!)

A fellow Runescapian, a friend of mine, are having a discussion about the words 'Newb' and 'Noob'. We both are convinced of our own correctness, that I am now seeking help from other Runescapians to see what they think of what both words mean.

First of I will tell you what he thinks these words mean:

Newb: A new player.

Noob: The same as a Newb, just written differently.

He also says that a Noob is an inexperienced player, but doesn't know that he is an inexperienced player. However, he still sticks to Newb = Noob.

My definition is different.

Newbs are those who are new to some task and are very beginner at it, possibly a little overconfident about it, but they are willing to learn and fix their errors to move out of that stage.

Noobs on the other hand, know little and have no will to learn any more. Most of the time they think they are experienced and act as such, but in reality they are very inexperienced and usually players who played for quite some time.

As far as I am concerned, I am using the correct definition of both words. Especially when I Google around. One site in particular shows up that has a quite a long list of definitions of 'Noob', as well as 'Newb' : http://geekdictionary.computing.net/define/noob and http://geekdictionary.computing.net/define/newb.

P.S. If you vote, be honest! I don't care who you vote for, as long as it represents what your definition is!

P.P.S. If you want, you could phrase your own definition :)!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I think they are both valid definitions of words that have several nuances of meaning. :P

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

I think they are both somewhat interchangeable.

If you truly sat down and tried to define them to a solid thing I would tend to agree with newb being new to it and noob being the sort of useless kind of thing, but like most slang words they are so context driven and vary even from game to game it is hard to truly separate them into finite meanings as they are ultimately the same word, 1 is just a literal abbreviation of 'newbie' and the other is a leet-speak variant upon it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

If someone's a newb, they'r new, yes. If I call someone a noob, I'm saying that they, for lack of a better word, suck.

Which I would never do, of course. O:).

• Like 2

09144a99bb.png

If someone's a newb, they'r new, yes. If I call someone a noob, I'm saying that they, for lack of a better word, suck.

Which I would never do, of course. O:).

^ This.

90.png

---------------------------- ';..;' ----------------------------

max.png

They're both derogatory words that imply that you're objectively better than someone else because they're less experienced, so I'd like to suggest a third option: "newb" and "noob" are identical in meaning, following your definition of "noob", not your friend's definition of "newb".

• Like 1

• Like 2

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!