24th August - The Light Within

Sylpheed

The Light Within is here, along with more on-screen action bars. It's a great day for Ironman players, too, with Group Bossing and Completionist Cape (including Trimmed) all fully enabled.

Top that off with some sweet new walk overrides in Solomon's Store and it's a heck of a week of content.

Read on to find out more!

The Light Within

How to Start
Speak to Eluned in Prifddinas
Requirements
You must be a RuneScape member
Plague's End
Fate of the Gods
Meeting History
The World Wakes
The Temple at Senntisten
80 Agility
80 Crafting
80 Divination
80 Herblore
80 Prayer
80 Woodcutting

The Light Within's sprawling story will see you helping the elven elders to find and reunite the Seren Shards – the scattered remnants left when the goddess sacrificed herself to save her faithful.

Travel across Gielinor and beyond – to the elven homeworld of Tarddiad. Expect fiendish puzzles, challenging combat and some truly tough choices.

Whatever the outcome, your part in these events will be pivotal in the ongoing saga of Gielinor's Sixth Age.

Rewards

Completing this epic adventure unlocks some truly game-changing rewards: new prayers and spells which make a dedicated support role possible in endgame combat content, and high-level skilling incentives that are nigh on vital.

Note that these are part of the Ancient curses and spellbook.

Spells

Spell Level Description
Opal Aurora 75 Direct damage spell. Also restores lifespan on prisms.

Prism of Restoration 76 Places a prism which heals nearby familiars and restores their special attack energy, and gives a chance to not use scrolls on familiar special ability use.

Sapphire Aurora 77 Direct damage spell. Also overcharges prisms, adding useful effects on their next tick.

Intercept 77 Redirects damage taken by the targeted player over the next three seconds to the caster, and reduces the damage to 95% of the original hit.

Emerald Aurora 79 Direct damage spell. Also applies a stacking 1% damage reduction buff to the caster. Stacks up to 5%, and with other damage reduction methods.

Prism of Salvation 80 Places a prism which players can click to teleport near to, as long as there's a clear path between.

Ruby Aurora 81 Direct damage spell. Also has a chance to apply a 1% damage buff to nearby allies. Stacks up 3%.

Prism of Loyalty 82 Places a prism into which players can funnel life points. Anyone doing so will take damage, and the prism will automatically heal nearby players with 75% or lower life points.

Shield Dome 84 Deploys a static dome that allies can stand within to reduce incoming damage by 50%. Domes cannot be layered on top of eachother, and new shield domes affecting a player within 2 minutes have diminishing returns.

Prism of Dowsing 86 Places a prism which attracts wisps to it and increases the chance of drawing enriched wisps. All nearby players can benefit from this.

Crystallise 88 When cast on mining, fishing or woodcutting spots - or full box traps - will cause the resource to persist for 30 seconds, yield no resources and give increased XP. Other players may still deplete the resource, but Crystallise will carry on when the resource is back.

Rapid Growth 88 Skips a tree, fruit tree or herb patch forward a growth stage. Usable once per day on each eligible farming location.

Crystal Mask 90 Gives +15% to pickpocketing chance and gives a chance to avoid damage and stun on failure.

Spellbook Swap 96 Identical to the Lunar version.

Prayers

Prayer Level Description
Chronicle Absorption 75 Automatically absorbs chronicles while training divination, granting Hunter and Divination XP.

Light Form 80 Doubles the chance of Seren-aligned spell effects occurring when using abilities.

Dark Form 80 Doubles the chance of Zaros-aligned spell effects occurring when using abilities.

Soul Link 88 Equally shares all damage and healing with another player also using this effect.
Teamwork Protection 89 Gives 5% damage reduction and 1% damage reflection for all nearby players who have the same prayer active. Stacks up to 5 times for a total of 25% reduction and 5% reflection. Note that the prayer only affects other players, so you'll need 6 players using it to get the full effect.

Superheat Form 91 Automatically burns logs and smelts ore into bars for XP.
Fortitude 94 Boosts Defence by 10%, life points by 100, doubles regeneration and allows regeneration in combat.
All of this is yours to enjoy with the wondrous new capabilities you'll unlock, but it doesn't stop there.

You'll also get to return to Tarddiad, where you can earn stunning hybrid-style crystal armour sets in two forms: level 70 tradeable, and level 80 untradeable.

And of course, there'll be a healthy helping of XP in a range of skills as soon as you complete the quest.

Additional Action Bars

Ever wanted to have multiple, hot-key enabled action bars open on your RuneScape HUD? The Ninjas have made it so.

Head to the Settings interface to enable up to four additional on-screen action bars, and drag them freely around the screen and resize them as you wish, finding your perfect set-up.

Ironman | Group Bossing & Completionist Requirements

We've enabled a great deal of high-level content for Ironman players this week.

First Up, Ironmen players may now group with each other to access all bosses that use the boss instancing system. They may also create groups to access the Raid ‘Liberation of Mazcab’.

Lootshare has also been enabled to Ironman accounts - although it will only work on bosses.

Alongside these changes we’ve opened up a few areas in the game that were previously inaccessible to Ironman players. These include areas such as the Kalphite King's lair, Vorago’s borehole, Mobilising Armies and Barbarian Assault.

On top of this, we’ve also made it possible for Ironman players to earn the Completionist and Trimmed Completionist cape! To unlock those songs you previously couldn't access, simply attempt to enter or interact with the content in question.

Keep an eye out for broadcasts as Ironman players start making RuneScape history!

Enjoy!

This week sees the release of one of the most spectacular and rewarding quests yet released, plus a raft of new spells and prayers - and more. We hope you have a tremendous time with The Light Within – head over to the forums and let us know your thoughts.

The RuneScape Team

Solomon's Store | Walk Animations

Strut your stuff with four new walk animations, available today in Solomon's Store.

Happy, Sad, Proud and Angry make up the gamut of emotional states on display.
Need RuneCoins? You can purchase them via the website, or click 'Earn' from within Solomon's Store.

In Other News

We've got a few more RuneFest hotel rooms available for Bonds. Redeem in-game now to book your accomodation while you can!
Just one week left to book flights with Bonds for RuneFest. Email [email protected] if you're interested.
Read the patch notes for further detail of today's updates.

[spoiler=Patch Notes]Graphical:

• The border on the Legacy inventory interface displayed in the bank has been re-aligned.
  • The Barbarian walk override now has a flowing cape animation.
  • Morytania skyboxes now appear dark blue when turned off.
  • A stretching issue with the back of the relic helm of Seren has been fixed.
  • The TzHaar-Ket-Om no longer appears distorted when used in combat.
  • The turn-up shorts base kit now shows the correct skin colour.
  • Straven no longer has a gap in his head.
  • Cyreg Paddlehorn's air staff has been graphically updated.
  • The iron kiteshield no longer stretches outside of combat.
  • Stretching issues with corrupt dragon helms have been fixed.
  • The sheathe weapon animation has been tweaked to prevent capes from snapping.
  • The Fairy Dossier has been graphically updated.
  • The animation for assault is now synchronised to the players movement.
  • The Navigator's hand is now set in the correct position.
  • The skin texture of Gadderanks and Old Man Ral has been fixed.
  • The active lodestone World Map icon has been fixed.

Skills, D&Ds & Minigames:

• Protean planks no longer make and drop an extra flatpack when your inventory is full.
  • The Slayer Assignment overlay will now display the correct slayer creature when receiving an assignment via Social Slayer or via a slayer mask.
  • A typo related to rocktail gloves in the Fishing skill guide has been fixed.
  • The Hearts of Ice XP and prismatic preferences no longer reset after each Key is used.

Quests, Challenges and Achievements:

• Amelia now correctly speaks about Marius instead of Velaria.
  • Cutscenes in Carnillean Rising no longer force the camera inside a wall.
  • Players who have started but not completed Big Chompy Bird Hunting will no longer state that they have killed a large number of chompy birds via Quick Chat.
  • Royal bolts now work correctly with the Tirannwn quiver.
  • Wielding a main-hand and off-hand weapon now only counts as one item for the "In the Darkness Bind Them" Task, to maintain the level 90 Dungeoneering requirement.
  • Players who have completed the Medium Ardougne Task Set and above can no longer reclaim Ardougne cloak 1.

Other:

• All players who have not previously unlocked cosmetic skill pendants can now claim them from Diango for free.
  • Players who already own unused or fully broken Achto Mazcab armour will now receive unowned pieces rather than duplicate pieces when looting Raids bosses.
  • Set effects will now trigger correctly when wearing tier 1 Mazcab armour.
  • Quick Chat options for Yakamaru and Beastmaster Durzag kills have now been added.
  • The Combat Targeting overlay will no longer appear when trying to range an NPC without any ranged ammo.
  • The targeting reticule no longer remains after catching an entangled impling in Puro Puro.
  • Black crossbows and the black cane can now be used to attack the tormented wraith.
  • Players can now reliably dismiss pets that were already summoned upon logging in.
  • Pets can now be picked up from the Dismiss menu when familiar options are hidden.
  • The Vengeance and Disruption shield spells now have a cooldown graphic when on the ability bar.
  • Players can now consistently alchemise quest point capes.
  • Capitalisation of the gods' names on golden godswords has been fixed.
  • The names of the box sets for Barrows armour now capitalise each brother's name.
  • Glacors can no longer be lured into attacking their own kin.
  • 'Life Points' now shortens to 'LP' in the Loadout menu when the player's life points go over 9,999.
  • The Pet Growth XP pop-up display can no longer be clicked.
  • Legendary familiars will no longer disappear when interacted with while the Beast of Burden passive ability is active.

Ninja fixes:

• The rubber chicken and Easter carrot now have their 'Whack' option as a left-click action on players.
  • The number of Vyrewatch that spawn in Rush of Blood has been reduced to account for their buffed stats.
  • Opening a Treasure Trail casket while poisoned will no longer close the interface.
  • The rotating bookcase's chat on occult Dungeoneering floors has been removed.
  • Coins found in the Columbarium are - once again - put directly in the money pouch.
  • Crystal tools no longer report an incorrect remaining charge.
  • New players with a trade limit can now trade Bonds freely.
  • Players will now obey the auto-retaliate setting against dragonfire, even if the damage is negated.
  • Players can now Quick Chat the number of penguin points they have.
  • The Fish Flinger points enhancer will now double medals received instead of points.
  • Loot beam options have been moved to the Loot Settings tab.
  • Doomsayer warnings can now be found under a dedicated tab in Gameplay Settings.
  • A new tab for Miscellaneous Settings has been added under Gameplay Settings. Players can now toggle the following:
    • Discarding empty bowls when cooking.
    • Discarding empty bowls when eating.
    • Discarding empty pie dishes when eating.
    • Discard empty vials when mixing potions.
    • Discard empty vials when decanting potions.
    • Discarding empty beer glasses when drinking.

Sylpheed.png

Quest Related

Has anyone found how to bypass the automaton ?

Found it

Wear Exoskeleton

Potion

Talk to the end in Crwys for wintercap, bloodcap is next to the mushroom spot in the elf forest

Sooooo, now what ? There is literally nothing you can do in the library as far as I can tell.

NVM, the shard is south-west corner

For the combat part

If you decide to fight and not mine/wc I'd say melee > ranged > magic (tried with magic first

For the last part

1 is easy enough, for round 2 and 3 with the cleansing crystals, you have to figure out how the middle circle of crystals has to be done and after that you move 1 crystal that is super close to seren clockwise, 1 from the middle clockwise and 1 from the farmost crystals 2 times clockwise until it's done.

Dun dun duuuuuuuuun

A 6th Elder God ?

750 crystals (375 kills) for a full set of tradeable armor

5000 crystals (2500 kills) for a full set of untradeable armor

Crystal shapeshifters drop list

Rune 2h

Rune Longsword

Noted 2x Battlestaff

Noted 6x Addy bars

Noted 8x Addy ores

Noted 2x Various Grimmy Herbs

Noted 12x Magic Logs

Noted 4x Potato Cactus

Uncut Diamond

To add to above list:

2x Noted Grimy Irit

2x Noted Grimy Kwuarm

1x Rune Platebody

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Are they degradeable? T80 hybrid is going to be great. A higher tier Warpriest alternative. About how long does it take to kill these creatures (kills/hr)?

Supposedly these new creatures drop something new that lets you open a chest somewhere.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

First quest I have done since I died of boredom trying to do Dimension of Disaster and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the story was really good, Tarddiad was nicely designed and I really liked the new design of Seren. Some interesting things to take away from the quest though:

[hide]1. Zaros and Seren have a messed up relationship thanks to their creation and conflicting ideals (I know we saw some of this in FotG).

2. Both Guthix and Seren advise us not to trust Zaros. Guthix because he is a being that returned from the dead and Seren because she believes he craves power and will stop at nothing to get it however he's much less obvious about it than say Zamorak.

3. Seren seems mostly indifferent towards us and did not seem to appreciate us sacrificing Eluned to bring her back.

4. She believes that Saradomin has lost his way due to his blind belief that he is doing what is best for Gielinor and not listening to others. Apparently it falls to us to put him back on the right path if we so wish.

5. She doesn't hold very high opinions of any of the Gods except sort of Saradomin. She doesn't have fond memories of Armadyl but accepts he has likely changed.

6. She is full of regret and remorse for her actions.

7. There is a 9th elven clan who stayed behind on Tarddiad.

Overall she is a really interesting addition to the game and hopefully her story goes somewhere interesting rather than just having he stand in the Tower of Voices for all eternity. I am assuming that there may be event where Seren and Zaros clash over the Elder Gods since we know Seren isn't going to let him just waltz in there and claim their power. I do like that she doesn't seem overly bothered about us either.[/hide]

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

[hide]So how did you guys rebuild your Seren and what does she look like?

I added Haluned's crystal, but I couldn't bring myself to sacrifice Eluned. Resulting Seren has no halo, and has a purple scarf over her mouth. She also has good words for Saradomin - any idea if her dialogue changes subtly based on what you add to her?[/hide]

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

[hide]So how did you guys rebuild your Seren and what does she look like?

I added Haluned's crystal, but I couldn't bring myself to sacrifice Eluned. Resulting Seren has no halo, and has a purple scarf over her mouth. She also has good words for Saradomin - any idea if her dialogue changes subtly based on what you add to her?[/hide]

[hide] I added Haluned and Eluned's crystals resulting in both the scarf and halo and a rather cutting comment from Seren when you ask her what Eluned was "She was your friend. At least she believed herself to be ;_;[/hide]

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

Quest wasn't too difficult to be honest. Even the Light Puzzle was doable. All you had to do was notice how they all relate and what happens when you try each of the mirrors.

Other than that, I could easily go with the flow =)!

Account Help

Am I the only one who noticed Zaros mentioning a 6th Elder God in the flashback ?

I noted that but I thought it referred to him finding 6 memories, not there being 6 Elder Gods -  which would be a hard one to retcon into the lore when the Elder Halls clearly has 5 nests and 5 egg remains.

I was most intrigued by the 9th elf clan though - feels like there is room for a prif expansion in due course with a quest to bring that clan back.

I can think of 2 buildings (that could fill up the SW and NW corners nicely) that that clan could tie into nicely:

A shrine to the old elven spirits that could offer a D&D-ish training activity that could work in ways to train con, div, dg and maybe a little prayer - essentially a bit of a 'catch all' that brings ways to actually train all the elf skills in the city - even if only for the sake of gold rocks.

The other I can think of is a records office/library sort of like a Varrock museum 2.0/Lore Guild - let us take lore books and info learned from every quest and post-quest there and have recap and cutscene rewatch stuff clustered there. 

Also just to note you do NOT need to kill 25 creatures.

You only HAVE to kill 1.

You are given the option of killing them for 2 crystals per death OR mining/wcing fragments that exchange 3:1 for crystals with an npc.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Or it appears you can skill past them instead? I appreciate that because I do quests for the story in them, not for difficult boss encounters.

Especially ones that make no sense to have in a quest. Nomad...

Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

Tangential but related:

Following on from my Cywir ideas in spoiler tags up above, I ended up making my first ever RuneLabs idea - Go and read my ramblings and support the Cwyir love! or not y'know whatever....meanies!

Edit to add some more on topicness:

Kinda love Seren's opinions post quest. Like historically in vague lore Zaros was always all rage and war and vengance and Seren was all peace love and cupcakes. But you bring Zaros back ask him about the other gods and hes all like 'eh stoof happpens'

Bring Seren back and woah has she got views!

She wants to kill Zammy and Sliske.

She's openly pleased that Bandos died

She's chummy with Brassica.

She thought Arma was a drip but he's changed.

She also seems to follow player opinion (on the whole) with Sara of he means well but hes arrogant and egotistcal and therefore has fallen way off course, but maybe could be saved.

Seren telling it like it is!

But to be serious this quest does have some short fallings imho:

I'm all for no hand holding, but parts of it were kinda vague to the extreme for no real purpose.

For example the ingredients for the crystal tree pot, only actually even get a vague idea of what they are by looking in quest log.

Then actually finding them is a bit of a nonsensical guess job - one grows in the forest oh great that place covered in mushrooms, way to keep it vague.

Other one tree-folk? Treants? Could you maybe at least once give reference to them as the name they are actually called by since you gave no other info?

And the final puzzle to 'shine light on the fracture crystals, bye' between that lack of explanation, the unclear layout of 'rings' and the very random way the rings effect each other ti became less about puzzle solving and more about click stuff til something happens.

Also it felt so small that collecting the 'main' pieces of Seren equated to 5 stones - Kinda expected it to be more like 10-12 main pieces 1-8 for each clan.

9 Would've been Haluned/Dark Lord

10 Would've been a piece for the Cywir (not actually with them initially but like it was drawn to the gate as it wanted to be with them and maybe played a role in opening the gate)

11 would've then been Eluned cause, yeah like we didn't see that coming.

12 would've been a 'wild card' like maybe we had to remake a piece for the crystal on the home world more literally.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Did some testing @ Grenwalls WITHOUT Dxp.

Raf (10%)

Yakt stick (5%)

Ava (3%)

Crystalize is 880k xp an hour in hunter.

Thievingcapesigcopy.png

Jeffery.png

180th to 99 Divination + 1st W36er

Rambo, cannot pk call your friends bro :). Wait nevermind none of SAPK/PKS can. Kappa.

Added the patch notes to the first post. Looks like quite a few things they updated this week. I might just be enticed enough to get some rubber chickens...edit oh wait that's turkeys >.<.>

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Jadinko lair for firemaking appears to be around 800k/hr. Gloves/ring/6% ava, no bxp.

edit: just realized crystallise works on them too... wasn't using that L

ruins.png De_Elite_One.png

Inefficiency = fun. That's objective and can't be debated. Ever.

Blog to 200m in all skills.

Max cape achieved November 5th, 2011.

Completionist cape achieved December 29th, 2011.

Final Boss title achieved December 28th, 2014.

Trimmed completionist cape achieved November 7th, 2015.

Tangential but related:

Following on from my Cywir ideas in spoiler tags up above, I ended up making my first ever RuneLabs idea - Go and read my ramblings and support the Cwyir love! or not y'know whatever....meanies!

Edit to add some more on topicness:

Kinda love Seren's opinions post quest. Like historically in vague lore Zaros was always all rage and war and vengance and Seren was all peace love and cupcakes. But you bring Zaros back ask him about the other gods and hes all like 'eh stoof happpens'

Bring Seren back and woah has she got views!

She wants to kill Zammy and Sliske.

She's openly pleased that Bandos died

She's chummy with Brassica.

She thought Arma was a drip but he's changed.

She also seems to follow player opinion (on the whole) with Sara of he means well but hes arrogant and egotistcal and therefore has fallen way off course, but maybe could be saved.

Seren telling it like it is!

But to be serious this quest does have some short fallings imho:

I'm all for no hand holding, but parts of it were kinda vague to the extreme for no real purpose.

For example the ingredients for the crystal tree pot, only actually even get a vague idea of what they are by looking in quest log.

Then actually finding them is a bit of a nonsensical guess job - one grows in the forest oh great that place covered in mushrooms, way to keep it vague.

Other one tree-folk? Treants? Could you maybe at least once give reference to them as the name they are actually called by since you gave no other info?

And the final puzzle to 'shine light on the fracture crystals, bye' between that lack of explanation, the unclear layout of 'rings' and the very random way the rings effect each other ti became less about puzzle solving and more about click stuff til something happens.

Also it felt so small that collecting the 'main' pieces of Seren equated to 5 stones - Kinda expected it to be more like 10-12 main pieces 1-8 for each clan.

9 Would've been Haluned/Dark Lord

10 Would've been a piece for the Cywir (not actually with them initially but like it was drawn to the gate as it wanted to be with them and maybe played a role in opening the gate)

11 would've then been Eluned cause, yeah like we didn't see that coming.

12 would've been a 'wild card' like maybe we had to remake a piece for the crystal on the home world more literally.

[hide]Personally I wouldn't think that the Cywir would have a shard of Seren simply because they were in Tariddad and did not follow her to Gielinor. Only in Gielinor did she shatter herself and give shards to each clan group.

We did have to go back to Tariddad to get enough crystal to finish her body though, kinda like getting packing peanuts to finish off a box of goods.

Also Sy, how did you rebuild Seren? Which crystals did you include? Perhaps she has different opinions regarding eg the gods based on your input.[/hide]

Also,

[hide]found the obligatory trans NPC in this quest[/hide]

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.