Ways to stop smoking - - - - Please Help

KiLLuFoFrEE

yes im a 17 year old male who is addicted to smoking. i started when i was 15 and i havent stopped at all until now. i found the girl of my dreams, and i want to be with her the rest of my life, and the only condition is that i have to stop smoking... which i am willing to do.

ive tried gum and patches, but nothing seems to work... any other suggestions from you guys from past experience or just something interesting i havent thought of..

i need help because i think im going into withdrawls and my mind is melting down

EDIT: please read my message i have written on page 4, includes a live update of how im doing

"Ive always tried to kill the greatest man alive, but then I finally realize that suicide is not the answer"

QsBillabong

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch... I'm sorry. But, honestly, I've been there before. I found it very easy to just quit cold turkey. What you have to do is observe people who smoke. Watch them as their children wave smoke out of their faces, watch people as they hurry to finish up a cigarette before they have to enter a restuarant or airport. You don't want to be like that, do you? You don't want to have something as simple as a cigarette control your life, do you? Simply force yourself to think about something else. Have your friends help you. Tell them that they may, under no condition, smoke around you.

I wish you the best of luck. I know it's a hard habit to kick.

3898000bYVcx.png

Don't buy any ciggirates, burn the ones you have, and force yourself about not thinking about smoking. I've never smoked and I dont plan too.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

My friend had to quit smoking so he'd be fit for Basic, he'd been smoking for 2 some odd years. Basically he just went through hell, bought a lot of gum, and bought a lot of those butterscotch candys. He lasted a whole 6 months, but now that he's made it, he's smoking again.

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

1. Get rid of any type of ciggarete.

2. Get something that you enjoy a lot, but is ok for you. For example, altoids, gum, something that you can keep a lot of and chew on when you get a craving.

And just try and quit cold turkey. It's deffinitly hard, but I think if you just keep your mind off of it, and keep every ciggarete away from you you can do it.

good luck :).

Dude...It isn't that hard. Stop buying Cigarettes. Problem solved. If you have so little self-will that you'd KNOW you need to quit, yet buy them anyways...You're beyond help.

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

i smoked for 3 years everyday half pack

basically i quit within 1 day because unlike most people i can CONTROL MY MIND

to quit smoke u have to overcome ur mind

]

the whole addiction is a mind game thats a fact.

if u cant control ur mind then u have big problems to solve.

Get rid of all [bleep]s, lighters and bags of baccy. Give all your cloths a watch to remove the smell and clean everything up. Perhaps stop hanging around with smoker friends for a few weeks, take up some hobby to take up your time. Give your hands something to play with, grab a pen and give it a good chew lol.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Dude...It isn't that hard. Stop buying Cigarettes. Problem solved. If you have so little self-will that you'd KNOW you need to quit, yet buy them anyways...You're beyond help.

thanks for your ignorance :P

tmpphpnppgpw.png

Don't buy any ciggirates, burn the ones you have, and force yourself about not thinking about smoking. I've never smoked and I dont plan too.

I agree :) you wrote what I would....:)

As: Dontknowyet -157 R.

Rs: Dontknowyet - 38

Bigboybad - 104

I didn't have any problems with quiting. Just don't buy smokes anymore.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

What you have to do is switch your addiction to something else. Of course, not something else harmful or addictive, but something that will occupy your time. I remember I guess around '92 or '93, someone I know was able to quit by playing the GameBoy game 'Wario Blast' for hours on end. You just need something that will fill your time and not leave your hands idle for picking up another cigarette.

I don't smoke (...much) so I don't know, but I've heard that the third day is the hardest and it gets a little easier everyday from there.

i cannot stress how helpful all you guys have been (except for a select few)

i went to my guidance counselor and she gave me good reasons and ways to help , similiar to what has been said ...

its been 2 days, and none so far

i found this method from anohter one of my forums... a friend told me to put a rubberband on my wrist, and then when i wanted a smoke, to snap the rubberband and then it would help.. so far thats been the best one so far. my dad has been sitting around and randomly hear "SNAP SNAP SNAP" and has joked about it..

thanks to all, but by all means, keep the suggestions coming, it might help

"Ive always tried to kill the greatest man alive, but then I finally realize that suicide is not the answer"

QsBillabong

Having never been a smoker I can't really attest to how hard it might be, but based on the statistics it's obviously very hard to quit for millions of people, so don't feel bad about that (someone mentioned weak mind, etc.). Obviously you're already well on your way, but get some gum (not the nicotine kind) and chew it when you want to smoke to keep your mouth busy, and take some deep breaths as well until the craving passes. I've heard the first three days are the worst so after that you should be good, but don't cave in later down the road, otherwise it's a wasted effort and that would mean you do have a weak mind. Good luck.

peterstretchfn5.gif

how many of you guys have smoked/quit before :?

it cant be that easy to quit cold turky, or else smoking wouldnt be that big of a proublem

Look at this article for some idea of the addictiveness:

http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/add ... nal1.shtml

Nicotine is placed first. Quite the eye opener. (I could go off into my usual rant about how cigarettes are legal yet cannabis isn't because of greed and racism, but I think I won't... this time.)

Granted it's from research done in 1990, but I'm sure not much has changed since then.

Guest AshKaYu

This is gonna sound weird, but I've been reading my brother's high school physchology textbook, and to sum it up, they said that your mind associates things you have always disliked(i.e.:brocoli) with things you have associated with it. Example. Every time you smoke a cig, eat 100 grams of brocoli.