Opinions needed..?

TheRealist

It's like this: I got in trouble at school today for writing in a notebook me and my friend share.(Basically, it's my friend and I's private thoughts.) We were writing in it in class when my friend tried to pass it to me by sliding it across the floor. The teacher notices it. At the end of class she says "Give me the book". I don't want her reading this thing. So at the end of the day, I go up to her and ask for it back. I tell her my friend was very upset all day we got it taken away because it was so private. She says "normally I don't read these things, but if I do, and I find something disturbing, I'll take it to the office" I get upset. What if I get suspended for something I wrote in it..? Last year my friend got suspended because she wrote " I wish (teacher name here) would die "

Why couldnt the teacher have just given the notebook back :?

I'm sorry, but I fail to understand what opinions you needed. Perhaps you just wanted to clear your thoughts?

I'm currently transitioning from a Wizard to a Mage and a Priest to an Archpriest. Lol both are nonexistant in the top 25. Hopefully I can change that. :D

These teachers think YOU have to like them. Well, I've never got suspened. although I got ditention for throwing pebbles like this size

----> o (really, that size) at some guy :?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Does the book belong to you, or is it an exercise book that the school gave you? If you bought the book from a shop yourself, then it's your property and an invasion of your privacy if your teacher reads it. If, however, the book belongs to the school, I don't think you have any rights at all :-?

Same thing happened to me... Well, sorta. One of my friends lost the one we kept, so, when a teacher found it, all she could do was give it to the counsellor. My parents weren't told or anything. But, if you got yours taken up during class, then... that's a different matter. What do you think your parents would say if they were told about this? Or if they got to read it?

Learn from your mistakes and be better at sneaking next time!

3898000bYVcx.png

To me, writing notes in class is kinda childish.

But other than that I dont think the teacher should read what you wrote in there. And if he/she does read it then you should'nt ever be punished for anything that you wrote.

lope6jw0.jpg

Wow, what the hell are you guys talking about when you say he shouldn't/can't be punished for anything he writes? That's like saying "you can't be punished for anything you say in school!!!11" About the invasion of privacy thing, it works a bit differently in schools. Schools are allowed to conduct unannounced locker searches or search bookbags and purses and such. It's perfectly legal to do so. I'm sure there are restriction on when this is allowed (reasonable suspicion, checking for something specific, etc.) but by the scenario he describes, it seems fine for the teacher to look through the book. Public schools are run by the state government, so the rules and regulations may differ from state to state, but at least in New York everything I said was true. Or was when I was in high school.

Anyway, I hope nothing serious or criminal was written in that book. If it was just private thoughts, I'm sure your teacher has enough decency to not share them with anyone else. If she does, then you can definately bring it up with higher authority. But as for getting you in trouble, she has every right to do so. Shouldn't be passing notes in class. Besides, it's not terribly difficult to do it and not get caught.

:P

Wow, what the hell are you guys talking about when you say he shouldn't/can't be punished for anything he writes? That's like saying "you can't be punished for anything you say in school!!!11" About the invasion of privacy thing, it works a bit differently in schools. Schools are allowed to conduct unannounced locker searches or search bookbags and purses and such. It's perfectly legal to do so. I'm sure there are restriction on when this is allowed (reasonable suspicion, checking for something specific, etc.) but by the scenario he describes, it seems fine for the teacher to look through the book. Public schools are run by the state government, so the rules and regulations may differ from state to state, but at least in New York everything I said was true. Or was when I was in high school.

Anyway, I hope nothing serious or criminal was written in that book. If it was just private thoughts, I'm sure your teacher has enough decency to not share them with anyone else. If she does, then you can definately bring it up with higher authority. But as for getting you in trouble, she has every right to do so. Shouldn't be passing notes in class. Besides, it's not terribly difficult to do it and not get caught.

Sure it may be legal but that doesnt mean that I agree with her looking in it an punishing him for it.

There are things that are legal that I dont agree with.

lope6jw0.jpg

Sure it may be legal but that doesnt mean that I agree with her looking in it an punishing him for it.

There are things that are legal that I dont agree with.

Hmm, I meant my first sentence more towards the people that said he can't be, not that he shouldn't be. My mistake.

I live in California and, at least in this state, a public school administrator cannot look in your backpack without a "reasonable" cause. I don't really think the teacher really cares what is actually written in the book as much as they are wanting you to stop messing around in class. The teacher is allowed to read this book even though it's the students property. It's no different than them checking that notebook for an assignment.

Seriously, writing private thoughts or feelings in a book, in school, during class, is just tempting fate and you're bound to get caught and have those private thoughts and feelings exposed. Save your gossip for lunch or break.

You have a right to have it back, unless there is anyhting incirminating inside but you still shoudlnt have been passing notes in class. I mean how old are you? Thats a really childish thing to do.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

still shoudlnt have been passing notes in class. I mean how old are you? Thats a really childish thing to do.

Yeah dude, come on, get TXT messaging. It's the 00's and everybody's doin it.

Lol, true, but problem being schools don't allow cell phones or at least Michigan schools don't. We got quite a few people that use a dedicated note book between two people to pass notes to each other, but they're females, I'm assuming you're a guy; sorry if you're not. Now, here's an idea, wait till you get out of school to talk about these things, wait till after class, or give them the notebook after class or during a free moment in class when everyone else is shuffling around. It's always to risky passing them in class, but I do not understand the purpose of passing notes anymore. As a senior in high school, I just fail to understand it. I still get them from psycho girls that I dated in the past, I read them, get a jolly good laugh and toss them. Anyways, think it through, and also if you are called down to the office for it, tell the principal it's an "Idea book" that you and a friend are collaborating on to right a book.

If that is your property, then they are not allowed to use anything in it without your consent to search it. So make sure you don't say that they can search it. Your teacher can search it but since it is your property they can not use anything in it against you without a warrant or your permision. They can get you in trouble for other things like passing notes and stuff.

Clarification: They are allowed to look through the note book. However unless they had a warrant or your permision BEFORE they searched it, any evidince they found within it was found wrongly and can not be used against you.

It is kind of the same for if a police officer wanted to search your house, your bag, etc. They have to ask for your permision if the search is to count. Since it is a school employe, they are not bound by the police's rule and can thus look at it with out giving you that warning. Make sure you tell them that they can not look through it and get some people to hear you say it.

Look it up though, there is probably more that I don't know

PDM

PDM

1st Amendment- Freedom of Speech

They can't get you in trouble for expressing your thoughts.

Sadly, that's not true in American schools. Schools are "in loco parentus" - they take the place of the parents and have authority similar to that of parents.

Everybody hug and spread the love :D

siggypooro0.jpg

Sadly, that's not true in American schools. Schools are "in loco parentus" - they take the place of the parents and have authority similar to that of parents.

Yeah, basically none of those rights from the ammendments are really yours until you're 18 or 21. But even then it's not always like that. Saying "but it's a free country, what about freedom of speech" etc. doesn't cut it for some things.

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

Yeah, basically none of those rights from the ammendments are really yours until you're 18 or 21. But even then it's not always like that. Saying "but it's a free country, what about freedom of speech" etc. doesn't cut it for some things.

Well I'm in high school (Senior year w00t w00t) and some of my friends are 18. You'd think that they'd be able to call themselves in sick as they are now a legally recognized adult, but no. Phone calls still go home to your parents/guardians to notify them that you missed a class.

Somebody got suspended for half a year or so for writing that the schoolswould blow up on 9/11 in the bathroom

PDM

PDM

Guest AshKaYu

Meh, just ask the person kindly not to read it. Teachers are human, they understand if you have private thoughts you don't wanna share. Either that or they are sickos who wanna read a adolescents diary.