VERY Old TIP.IT Forum Topics from 2002 - WARNING: Large Post

Iantiger

When I first joined the tip it forums a couple of years back, one of the first things I did (because I was a nub I guess), was to go through the general forum and I started copying and pasting the topics including every post within them into a word document. As I said, I have no idea why I did this, but... browsing the hard drive of my old computer I stumbled upon this document!!! Take at look at some of these very old Tip It forum topics.

Lag competition ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ Included us all for free.

Mythical: Lag this , Lag that, besides the word **** the most common word seen in runescape.

We all have the lag - but I can tell you , it seems to get worse by the day and it's starting to annoy me alot.

Early days : I lag out while attempting opening 4 i-net browsers - and tryin to surf them all while playing runescape.

D/C

'' Welcome to Runescape there are currently 250 players ''

Later : Weee another server. Weee I still lag.

D/C

'' Welcome to Runescape there are currently 500 players ''

BlaBla. But the lag is SO BAD nowadays.

During the time I'm '' disconnecting-lagging out '' now , I take a toilet break - close all the curtains in my flat - or even smoke half a sigaret- before the white screen dissapears, my comp stop loading- and I find myself back again where I was.- With the same welcome message as always:

'' Welcome to Runescape there are currently 1250 players ''

This nowadays lag didnt use to be so bad, and we can all complain about it .. but in fact it's just all of us making it together

I hope P2P will bring less-lag , because it's getting a real pain, and not worth to pay for at all actually, - It's getting really annoying -

Myth.

Poca: I am not lagging a lot

Unix: I dont really seem to expirience so much lag. And yes, opening one browser will cause you to lag on a slow connection, also, close out all ram-hogging applications before playing, even a good idea to restart if you have a slow computer, then, if your computer is REALLY slow, cntrl+alt+dlt, and close down some non-essential apps.

Mythical: I have a cable connection - can download up to 150 kb/ a sec. so that's the problem. saw l6vi talking about the same stuff on the boards too earlier. -> Good connection , but still I D/C every now and then without reason - and when trying to open a web browser it'll disconnect me for sure.

Unix: One of my friends has university provided OC12 and still lags. It really has more to do with the server load than your connection.

This is an example of one single topic that I found - I can't get a date on it, but I have about a dozen others that I copied and pasted, I will slowly edit this topic to include these.

The quote in this topic also holds the date January 31st 2002, a date which is before that which I thought I approximately joined Runescape. So from this I can only guess that I'm wrong in saying I joined RS in March 2002 and it must have been around January 2002 instead. Sig updated.

Runescape Runs On Linux!

Eraserman: As some of you know, I am primarily a

Linux user.

I usually have to reboot to Windows in order to play Runescape.

I would periodically attempt to load the Runescape Applet while on Linux, with no success.

Well I am glad to report that today it worked!

I tried Mozilla 0.9.7 and Galeon 1.0.2, both of them worked without a problem.

I am also using the Java Plugin 1.3.1.

If there are any Linux users out there that need help setting up Runescape and Linux please let me know and I will be glad to help.

Eraserman

Unix: Yeah! Hail Linux! I have a slackware webserver (not working, fried by my cat ((high static charge, he jumped in the open case while i was working on it))) and a redhat box beside me here. (yeah, windows at the time) Yes, the Runescape servers are Linux based, pretty much everything is. Andrew made a post asking for some help with a server problem, I emailed him to tell me what would have probably fixed it, anyway I forgot what he needed.

N00b#911: Yes, this is totally irrelavent. but will someone please explain to me (the noob) what is the PURE stuff about being pure and so on.. yea call me a noob i already know it

Unix: Someone who is pure dedicates his traning to one skill (or set of skills, such as fighting) only. I personally see no point in being "pure", the more varied your skills are, the more powerful (skillwise) you are.

Rab: I guess its ironic that now Runescape runs on Linux machines, considering the server side runs on linux boxes

Poca: I am running Runescape on Linux. However, I have FPS at about 8-12 with my 32 mb videocard.

Anyone knows what's up? I have Red Hat 7.2, kernel 2.4.17 and Java... Umm... Dunno. 1.3.1 from http://www.sun.com

Eraserman:

On 2002-01-31 02:52, Poca wrote:

I am running Runescape on Linux. However, I have FPS at about 8-12 with my 32 mb videocard.

Anyone knows what's up? I have Red Hat 7.2, kernel 2.4.17 and Java... Umm... Dunno. 1.3.1 from http://www.sun.com

Hmm don't know,

How do you know your FPS?

Anyway it runs fine on my humble 3 yr old

computer.

AMD K6-450Mhz

ATI Rage Fury Pro 32MB

I also have a cable modem, don't know if

bandwith is your problem.

Proudly running Debian Sid with kernel 2.4.17.

Madcoder: http://runescape.webpunch.net

runs on 2 linux webservers, a linux DHCP&FTP server, and a nfs server......... all sitting next to me....

sweet ****!

you might say i'm a linux man ...

i'll have to try getting RS to work in galeon again....

Marko161: what is linux?

Unix: Dont tell anyone, but Linux is this program for windows (the best OS in the whole world) that lets you cheat and get free stuff on runescape...hehehe.

DukeJames1: *Envisions the misinformed running out to install Linux on there PCs*

pure fighter

Jaguarxx: What is everyones obsession with making a pure fighter. I dont understand what is so good about a pure. The whole point of the game is to lvl in everything making yourself good in every area, but specialize in a certain area.

Poca: When u r pure, it is funny to see high levels running from you. However, the most important thing is that u can attacks low levels.

The disadvantage is u can't use prayer or reduce opponent's stats

Jaguarxx: what you are saying is that you are a strong fighter but your combat isnt as high so u can attack more peeps in the wild?

Poca: Exactly

DukeJames1: Well, I like my pure character for the simple reason that I love seeing the lvl 60's reaction when my lvl 45 beats there ***es hehehe

DKX_Strength: being pure is like being a miner, only funner, u get lotsa money probably even mroe than mining/smithing, all you're armour is free, paid for by the miners and smithers fo the game that like to vist the wild, and it makes the game ****a funner

Unix: I can see why some one would want to start a pure char. for PK uses only, otherwise, I think it's stupid. I might create a pure PK sometime.

Lightning helps clarify a question about Runescape IRC channels:

IRC?

Mvp: hey i wondered if there is an IRC channel for runescape?

Eorl: Yeah. #Runescape

Lightning: Yes there is a few channels on runescape.

Some on dalnet and a couple on jurai.

Tip.it users normally use jurai.

/server irc.jurai.org (6667)

/join #runescape.

If you do use this channel , there is a few rules .

No caps, flooding or insulting any user.

No scipts or bots allowed and no colours.

No colours are not allowed cause not all users can read them.

If you do break these rules , 9 times out of 10 you will get warned either by a ops bot there or by a real op

Here's quite an interesting topic by XxCavalierXx, who quite a lot of people fondly remember. This particular topic includes a lot of discussion about the hacker which is threatening to wipe out Tip It.

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!!??

XxCavalierXx: Why do you feel the need to hack into message boards. Lightning is trying to set up a nice community for us to come to and chat about Runescape, but yet soembody keeps hacking into them.

Anybody notice the messages in the top-left corner of this forum now?

ListenLightning

phenominet is unsecure and the firewall sucks

ListenLightning

i will give you a chance to backup the boards before we delete all runescape fanpages

DukeJames1: Ugh! How pointless and totally juvenile!

BryanTowers1: I see them... who would waste their time doing this though? Shouldn't they be hacking something more important?

Uknown4life: grrrrrr for once i have to agree with u

Katryna: Most likely one of the children running Ruby's board.

Warcraft82: New one:

Okay i listen to you

why you keep hacking my username?

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

That message was from me it was the only way i could talk to this guy.

Lighting

HawkL: where do we meet if this goes down!?!? If it goes down meet at http://runescapemarket.cjb.net and use guest as user and pass . In general board

XxCavalierXx:

On 2002-01-30 03:14, unknown4life wrote:

grrrrrr for once i have to agree with u

lol. for once? you make it sound like we have along history of disagreement. I wasn't aware of it. LOL

Gugge ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ The First 1000: yeah, there was more to it, I believe the whole message was

It is not only your password it is possible because runescape and phenominet are unsecure and all passwords are mine and now it is time to say goodbye to this boardfanpages

How low can some persons sink....?

Ragin Dave: Katryna don't blame another board for hacking, we have been having just as much trouble with "Lightning" fans..

Fcuker: The most petty thing is, from what I can gather they're not Ruby's boards!?

I've just been reading them, and not only does Ruby have no power!

They were threatening to ban her from the forums!!

The only reason they are calling themselves "Ruby's Boards" is to act on personal grudges,

with a "valid" reason!

(I use the term valid in the loosest sense of the word!)

Fcuker

Uknown4life: u don't err remeber geliloth i asked u to hook me up and u said no! so ever since that i disagree to what ever u say but this topic is beyound grudges

Red Tanya: I just hope people aren't using the same pass on this forum (or any forum) as their password for Runescape!

Lightning: Guys i dont know what i done to deserve this,,,

im really on the point now of quitting everything!

i had enough and not geting anywhere..

I changed my password i doen everything i could possibley do.. i havent any trojans on pc, and no one knows my password here.

I give up!

XxCavalierXx:

On 2002-01-30 03:20, unknown4life wrote:

u don't err remeber geliloth i asked u to hook me up and u said no! so ever since that i disagree to what ever u say but this topic is beyound grudges

LOL, well I said no, because you wanted me to do something I couldn't do.

You wanted me to hook you up with bluerose for free smithing. I may be her friend, and may have gotten things from her in the past, but doesn't mean I control her and can make her do anything for free, for anybody I want. (NOT EVEN MYSELF).

I don't see how you can hold a grudge against me for something I can't control. You seemed to not understand when I told you "there is nothing i can do"

Ragin Dave: Sorry Light, hopefully this person will just quit toying with you and leave us alone.

XxCavalierXx:

On 2002-01-30 03:23, Lightning wrote:

Guys i dont know what i done to deserve this,,,

im really on the point now of quitting everything!

i had enough and not geting anywhere..

I changed my password i doen everything i could possibley do.. i havent any trojans on pc, and no one knows my password here.

I give up!

judging by the comment they made about firewalls, I believe they are hacking the server itself. In which case, there really isn't anything you can do unless you switch to yet another domain and hope they have better security.

Uknown4life: look man it not u it just that one time i need a favor somone said no and on that day someone killed me in widlerness i think lmao

XxcavalierXx:

On 2002-01-30 03:29, unknown4life wrote:

look man it not u it just that one time i need a favor somone said no and on that day someone killed me in widlerness i think lmao

lol no worries. Bad luck, and clearly just a misunderstanding.

Well we are off-topic now so please address your next response in Private message.

Good Luck man.

Lightning: Well theres no way i can back up the boards here its not in my power

With p2p coming out as well soon i neeed to really think about this...

I even changed my password half way through that hacking that was going on.. so i know its not from my account im sure of that.

What im not sure about really is. is it personnal attack on me or is it a attack actually aimed at dk3 boards.

they only way i can talk to this guy is making changes as you on the board to him like he was doing to me.

Seems stranged he called me light and not lightning which makes me think he knows me maybe or he just run out of space on the forum.

I dont kow what to think atm... I have another site with space but dont see the point of making more boards until i kow for sure its a ttack on the site and not me..

Totally confused on this and dont know what to think...

Fcuker: I you wanna here my penny's worth Light, I'd say it's only being done due to the security breach that is obviously present in this hosts boards!

If the boards were to move *sigh* I think it will be better.

** NOTE: This is just what I think

Fcuker

Sc0rpi0n2G: everytime i get used to a good board..BooM its gone

Madcoder: http://runescape.webpunch.net:20400/cgi ... matebb.cgi

Just a creative alternative if these keep getting hacked... for the time being til TIPS re sets-up it's self-hosted boards....

I guarantee these to be hosted safely, too.... I am currently sitting next to the 2 servers running the site... no hackers here!

Artem: guys, PLEASE, just use YaBB. It's fast, easy, looks AWSOME, i have a friend who could help you set it up in a half hour, and is TOTALLY secure.

http://yabb.xnull.com

just look around. if you think it's nice USE IT FOR JESUS H. CHRISTS SAKE!

ok, im done.

Lightning: Guys i know you all upset about this, and i trying to work a few things out. i need to get incontact with silverion... i am curently talking things over with dmonik , who you all kow is tipit staff as well.

I lare you kow soon what our decision is...

Unix: Ok, even though I really want to verbally bash some people about the hacker stereotype, I'm not going to do it. Anyway, Lightning, this is a longshot, but MAYBE, he is attempting to social engineer you (With neuro-luinguistic programming, in other words, the art of persuasion, but it has other uses) and is trying to confuse you and decrease your morale. But, I seriously doubt that. I would like to suggest a message board system that I helped write a long time ago, and is extremely secure. (security was its purpose, and in its two years in operation, not once has it been comprimised) If you're interested, I know people who would be glad to set it up for you. (Btw, its called the Mr. Fong device)

Lightning: Your name i know but im not sure from where:)

hmm i will pm you later about it unix.

Or if the boards do go done before that my email address is [email protected]

Thanks.

Im still taking it all in atm, need a coffee and do some thinking.

Its real late here 3am and really too tired to think stright

Artem: ohh, sure IGNORE me, go straight for the guy whose name is an OS!! #$%$ *bleeeeeep**bleep**bleeepbleeeeeeeeeeep*

:-\

Lightning: no i wasnt ingoring you

Lighting: Yabb

Ikow nothing about this site.

hmm i wonder how secure they are really ..

Unix can you tell me more on them is there anything thats is bad at all about them?

Senitor: Lightning Andrew and Paul gower have unfair rules to this game they ban someone permanantly for such pathetic reasons and permanantly? please give me a break ive been to many game sites this is the first ive seen that does such a dumn rule the fact is they get people uh "mad" you could say these guys obviously wanna get back at you for something im friends with alot of good expert hackers the thing is andrew nor paul would ever change their rules so runescape will be gone oneday and no i dont mean far into the future ina duh way its moderators words against fair logic you've alrdy lost the fight alot of hackers will try to rune your fun connections with this game but thats the gowers faults not yours such a bad thing the game has to be wasted away truthfully i admire hackers you knwo anything they can get at to harm the heart of runescape they will do it belive me

Unix: Not that I can name, Fong is a well structured and amazingly secure BBS, its not so user friendly though, you can go to http://hammer.prohosting.com/~fongdev/wwwboard4/ and check out a basic demo, thats an old version though, I may be able to get a newer version though. Anyway, I helped program the security counter-measures and it has a really solid admin system, after all, it was designed for one of the most popular computer security sites on the net (cyberarmy)

Yabb, Its better than Fong as far as user friendliness goes, pretty secure, but it really depends on your host. Lots of features, you can see it in action at http://www.aposematic.com/mikecam/index.shtml, just find the forums link and check it out. I really would suggest YaBB, it would suit the RS communities needs better, I've never worked with it as far as setting it up goes, but I have a friend that will set it up for you.

BTW- I think I talked to you for a min. while blue was smithing one night.

Lightning: Thanks unix i been looking for that url to talk to some one there in chat but , i just been there and they sleeping

But yes i will look into it , i got to speak to sivlerion first about things.

Unix: Np. Mike? He's the one that may help set it up if your team, me, or whoever can't set it up. The hardest part would be finding a good host that supports Perl and CGI. F2s used too, but it's a pay service now, and the prices are outragous.

Lightning: yes i noticed!

I not sure but i might look into hosttoday.com

It going to take me a couple of days to sort this out i think.

Worst comes to it i have to go with f2s

Unix: Well, if you want to use a pay site, use Mike's (http://www.aposematic.com), nice, cheap, and meets all the standards needed to run Yabb. Anyway, Im going to bed. If you need anything else, Pm me.

Silverion_shadow: Arghh i hate this atmosfere ... really as i see this boards going down one after another i really see that i was hero keeping old tip board against all winds .. if only they not generated so much trafic and people are clicking baners so rare that it ended that i have to pay all from my pocket that is not so full

It looks like only solution will be to get us new server so we can keep it under hand i hope that managing good a new game im working on we will get some sponsors to get new server ...

Lightning: I really thought these were quite secure, well the boards seem to be but the server seems not by the looks of it. I really dont know what happened tonight but from my experince on hacking etc i guess he done it from server side.

Theres nothing i can do here to stop this hacker,i posted on dk3 boards about it and not got a answer from them yet.

I dont know how much longer these boards will be up for guys , depends on this hacker.

i Talk to you tomorrow hopefully this hacker will give us time to sort things out.

I have pm you my icq and msn to you silverion . Hopefully you get that in the monring if the boards are still up.

Uknown4life: this post still going? well looks like somone made a good post!

Teranzi: You could consider getting your own domain name, or getting one hosted with RuneScape.com itself (if Andrew would allow it, but unfortunately he probably wouldn't ).

Drago_King_m.d.: I'm always here to stay and help you guys, whatever happens...

And people, we have to look on the positive side, the board hasn't been deleted yet, probably even nothing is gonna happen .

But eventhough, it's better to have a back-up board

Maybe this hacker is just a joker and can't do anything at all to this board...

RuneScape: Mmmmmm. I have some suspisions on who's targeting the Tipit Boards, but with no proof I won't name names.

Shadow: Actualy its not one of the people from Ruby's board coz i now quite well that no one from there in a high postion knows how to hack:) unless its some lower level doing it to give us a bad rep by making it look like us doing it

Kingleonardo: Naughty light

Unknown4life: well looks like that p2p should be coming any day now

Mark von Wagner:

On 2002-01-30 04:26, Artem wrote:

guys, PLEASE, just use YaBB. It's fast, easy, looks AWSOME, i have a friend who could help you set it up in a half hour, and is TOTALLY secure.

Totally secure?

A quick search on the SecurityFocus web site ( http://www.securityfocus.com/ ) shows five vulnerability reports.

Unix: NOTHING is totally secure, not even Runescape, not even our minds. Most of those exploits on securityfocus are old and fixed by now.

Lightning: Yes i agree with you on that Unix,

I think i lock this post as its going nowhere.

ALl i can say really is i trying my best , to keep you all happy and im totally worn out atm over all this.

Hehe, enjoying this nostagical trip? Do any of these names ring any bells to some of the older members here on Tip It? Here's a short interesting topic about quest points.

How?????

Uncoverd:O: How the **** do you get 41 quest points.

I saw lots of people with 41 quest points, for example r2keen2.

Can someone tell me how u get them and how the quest goes????

Lightning: SOmetime ago there was a mistake in quests points, and those that got extra quest points kept them, but this doesnt matter as they taken into consideration when new quests come out.

One day Andrew may remove those extra points:)

Cruiser1: Yup, the bug was in the dilrith quest. You could say the incantation twice and it would give you 3 quest points for each time. I got my 41 points that way. But they fixed that bug months ago.

Tok: **** so close....

The Fighting CompetitionÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ

I Poop On U: I'm hoping to start a fighting competition next Sunday, where there will be prizes to win, and you get to keep your earnings from the kills you get. I won't go into full detail here, so visit the forums and register. The forums I used are the same as these

I Poop On U: Bah, not impressed yet? *Bump*

Gugge ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ The First 1000: No bumping please. If people don't respond to your post they are simply not interested

Gugge certainly put that guy into line - seems like he was a bit of an animal back in his day... :lol: In this next topic, members are anticipating the release of the recently announced P2P!

Why purchase rune sword and axe now?

FlyByNight:Andrew himself said in the p2p play version of runescape there will be better weapons than rune baxe

if you intend to go to p2p than why buy a rune baxe for **** loads of stuff

i recommend just waiting

but hey if you wanna blow your money go head

Herr Lipp: Where did he say this? If that were the case then why would he be making quests for b-axes and 2-handeds?

Misttt: http://runetipit.board.dk3.com/viewtopi ... forum=1&16

FlyByNight: thank you misttt

yeah go to that link and look for andrew gowers post

so anyone buying rune 2hander or axe is sorta dumb if they are going to p2p

Ajay: First, Hi Flybynight...sure been long time, glad to see you still here

I totally agree, you need to way the options before you jump out and buy something.

I dont need a rune battleaxe or shield so dont bother me one little bit. (BTW, I aint a jealous poor guy who can't get one ) I just choose not to have one

Kindest Regards,

-Ajay-

Sir Wout95: Hehe, already can't wait for p2p comes out.

*drewls*

Tok: p2p...or everquest i'm still choosing...

Yazoo: Well i had the same choice and i chose p2p

Tok: runescape is great but everquest, so much to do...

Mr_sleep: im sticking with free version.

there is no way in **** im paying 5 dollars

a month for this game... even though it is cool. still $5 is too much for a game like runescape.

Mr_sleep: lol that waz my first post.

Mediator: I think He decided that he would make the quest would be for the new dragon weapons. Although I could be wrong

WhereÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢d everyone go???

Cruiser1: Where did everyone that use to be on these boards go to? I have been gone a while and the only name i recognize is L6vi.

Drago_King_m.d.: Lol, uhmm... Me, Lightning, R2Keen2, Blue Tear, Beachy and lots of others who have been posting on Tip.it since quiet a long time

Well, anyway, not all old users stay...

Uknown4life: im here i think i have the most post hehe

Cruiser1: Oh ok......cool. I just found the new boards yesterday and didn't see anyone i knew on the posts like greg and detention.

SuperMAn: im here

SuperMAn38

Re: Complaints about EMAILS

Lightning: Any email from this address

[email protected]

Are not anything to do with me or tip.it site. Please take your complaints up with teh owner of this account and not complain to me.

As i understand it. When ruby made proboards she used that account to register them with.

They are NOT anything to do with me. Please stop spamming my pms here and my email service with complaints. I cant do anything about it.

Also Please do not pm me anythig about rubys new site , i kow its there and i really not interested about what is said about me there.

Thats all

and i hope its the last i hear about this.

Unknown4life: when u locked gormis marketplace board did u find out if it was really a fake?

L6vi: its off topic but:

in ruby's boards i never make any topics, there is so many unknown mods that i dont trust them all to see my ip

i hope here i can trust mods

i must post in somewhere

Lighting: Lv6i I think you know me well enough to know i wouldnt make just anyone up to be mod etc unless i trusted them .. You know how i feel i think about trust etc.

Uknown4life: i feel left out here i asked a simple question!

L6vi: "ListenLightning

i will give you a chance to backup the boards before we delete all runescape fanpages

Uknown4life: no offense l6vi can lighting answer me real quick its a simple yes or no

Red_Lock:

On 2002-01-30 02:34, unknown4life wrote:

when u locked gormis marketplace board did u find out if it was really a fake?

yes it was verified in game and also thru skone751

Uknown4life: well thx red atleast some one tells me

thx again

Quantum 2:

On 2002-01-30 02:25, Lightning wrote:

Any email from this address

[email protected]

Are not anything to do with me or tip.it site. Please take your complaints up with teh owner of this account and not complain to me.

As i understand it. When ruby made proboards she used that account to register them with.

They are NOT anything to do with me. Please stop spamming my pms here and my email service with complaints. I cant do anything about it.

Also Please do not pm me anythig about rubys new site , i kow its there and i really not interested about what is said about me there.

Thats all

and i hope its the last i hear about this.

i got flooded with around 6 emails from them yesterday

HawkL: yea i got one.And yea anyone is and could be mod there,thats why i like this one.

Lightning: Lv6i

You know as much as me , maybe more about web sites and domains etc.

That wasnt a admin that done that, only i can change the forums names here. The hacker who ever he was done this from server side , meaning that although the boards are quite safe the firewall dk3 are using isint

Now i had a couple of shadows at each site i used, onei know his name and can contact him anytime and i know he means no harm, in fact he/she become more of a adviser to me about securty holes in different boards.

As to this hacker last night and the time before here, im sure he knows me because he uses my name lightning and light. I have been thinking over what he said , the first hack he/she did, i didnt get chance really to read what he/she said before he/she delted the boards , but the second time i think im sure i understand what he/she is trying to say to me.

He/she not against me or the boards itself, he/she warning me theres a problem here and the firewalls are not fully secure. He/she could of just deleted the boards last night but didnt, which make think also he/she helping me in a way and not against me.

My guess on this board, this hacker here is helping not trying to destroy us.

When i signed up for these boards i checked security on the boards their selfs but really never looked into the security of the sever itself.

I just hope he gives us time to sort things out. He should realise we cant do miracles over night.

I wont be going for any more free boards/servers/Mysql anything in that way again.

SuperMAn: that address filled my box yesterday, it was signed ski me

This next topic tries to clarify the idea of P2P a little more for some users. A lot of people at this time seem to still be getting their head around the idea of actually PAYING to play this crazy Runescsape game!

I have a question (game developers look into it)

Squire Mike: What is p2p? And um does the free version not have the new stuff? and why is the free one slowing down? Why is rune scape slowing down?

and why is thier now a version you have to pay for?

I would like to know what is going on.

So what is going on? Cause I cant pay. And I spent so much time working my way up.

And now it will be ruined. please reply.

Jbwhitnall: p2p=pay to play

-most of the new stuff will not be on the free version

-RS is slowing down because a lot of people play it

Squire Mike: that sux. well I have ot quit.

Why they put a "Price tag" on runescape?

****...this sux. I worked so god **** HARD AND WHAT I CANT DO ANYTHING!!!!!!!

NOW I AM VERY ANGRY....THIS IS UNFAIR!

WHAT THE HELL IS THE PRICE?

.......................grrrrrrr.....the best game I have ever played is now starting to suck. no offense to the people who like it..........sorry for my outburst if anger but after all the hard work and time I put into this piece of **** im really upset that this happened.

somebody please do something about this.

I dont want to quit but I think im gonig to!

Unix: The price for Pay-to-Play is: ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã3.50, or $5.00, most people should be able to afford that. I'm sure it will be well worth it.

Squire Mike: what 3.50 a month?

my parents wont pay for me to play a game. atleast not every moneth. mabey once but not every month

WE arent poor. infact we ar wealthy. but its a game. Mabey they would pay once. But it adds up to like..hmm let me calculate..42.00 dollars a year (small amount) or 60.00 dollars a year (that not much either) But thats not worth to pa money every month. not for a game. possibly 3.50 a year but its a game. one day i might quit it...then what?

Fcuker: You don't have to pay!

there is still going to be a free RS available.

Unix: I think you have misunderstood me. It is 3.50 Pounds, But, if you live in the U.S, it would be 5.00 Dollars.

Squire Mike: ahhh ok. I know but i want the complete versin.

what would I have to do about paying in the verson p2p

Mediator: Pay to play isnt even out yet unless I am greatly mistaken which I dont believe I am. So dont get your panties in such a wad.

Squire Mike:

On 2002-01-30 01:56, Mediator wrote:

Pay to play isnt even out yet unless I am greatly mistaken which I dont believe I am. So dont get your panties in such a wad.

ok panties? you should rephrase that lol

Well I just want more information so please post people! (developers too)

Fcuker: All of the info about Pay-2-Play is here.

Mediator: Hey fcuker where did you learn about that link I have never seen it before?

Fcuker: I got it from the #RuneScape chat room on IRC.

I think Andrew gave it to the people there, who added it to the topic, where I saw it...

Mediator: Sorry to keep bothering you but is the chat working right now because It wont let me join the channal. And if it is up is there like a list of whos been banned?

Fcuker: it's up, if ur using mIRC, to see a list of bans type: /mode #runescape +b

Dark_creatio: Ever thought it costed other people to run the game? Stop thinking of your self and get over your childishness you don't like it don't play anymore.

Squire Mike:

I know that. but why havent they done this till now?

This game has been here for like 2-5 years i gotta a friend woh knew about this a ongtime ago (rune scape)

How come this didnt happen before.

nd the main thing i Wana find out is do we pay money every month, or only once. cause 5 bucks from like 100000 will equal a lot of money

if they charge that every month theyl gain many millions of bucks.

my point is some poeples parents wont pay for a game.

If I dont get p2p or a faster and fuly updated free one im quiting. I am sure other people will to.

I already know people that are quiting cause of this.

Anyway thi sisnt the only thing in my life. It is just something i would rather keep.

cause its fun.

I am sure the p2p people wont have to worry about many people if its pay every month.

lol.

cause I know people that are quiting if its gona be like that.

Andrew I hope you look into this and anwser my questions. Thank you very Much.

Teranzi: Dude, they're still gonna have the commercial (free) version so don't stress. There's just not gonna be as many cool new things. Runescape will always be great, but p2p will be even more fun

$5.00 a month isn't all that much, that's like... *thinks* ...just under 20 cents a day. Plus there will be the option to pay for a year at once, which will be even cheaper...

You should consider asking your parents for an allowance or something if you don't get one already. Anyway, if $5.00 a month is too much, just play commercial.

PS: You said that it was just a game, so why are you getting so worked up?

Blue Tear: You think that's much? AC is 10 bucks a month, plus the 2o too buy the stuff. DAoC is 40 bucks to buy an cheapst way to pay is six months at a time for 11 bucks a month. 5 bucks for a RS shouldn't add up to too much.

Xxzibit:

On 2002-01-30 05:17, Squire Mike wrote:

This game has been here for like 2-5 years i gotta a friend woh knew about this a ongtime ago (rune scape)

How come this didnt happen before.

nd the main thing i Wana find out is do we pay money every month, or only once. cause 5 bucks from like 100000 will equal a lot of money

if they charge that every month theyl gain many millions of bucks.

my point is some poeples parents wont pay for a game.

If I dont get p2p or a faster and fuly updated free one im quiting. I am sure other people will to.

I already know people that are quiting cause of this.

Anyway thi sisnt the only thing in my life. It is just something i would rather keep.

cause its fun.

I am sure the p2p people wont have to worry about many people if its pay every month.

lol.

cause I know people that are quiting if its gona be like that.

Andrew I hope you look into this and anwser my questions. Thank you very Much.

Squire Mike

Lmao 5 years? its only been around for about 1 year...

Shadow: lol most people are playign and it will stop the begging poeple from playing whilst i cant p2p my sis can:)

Hiana: Bribe/threaten your sis to pay for you, then you can play to

Squire Mike: I am getting worked up cause its a game I like.

I agree 5 bucks is nothing but....its a game. Lol. am probably only gona play the free version.I might do p2p everynow and then for a month or 2.

I am lso getting worked up cause I worked so hard on it.

But still whats gona be the diffrence between both of them?

(p2p and free one)

Fcuker:

On 2002-01-30 02:01, Fcuker wrote:

All of the info about Pay-2-Play is here.

Fcuker

As I stated before, the above features are exclusive to Pay-2-Play, and the free server will probably stay as it is now. With the possibility of updates every now and again.

Lord Elric:

On 2002-01-30 05:17, Squire Mike wrote:

It's called 'beta testing' my poorly informed friend. Basically, from last January until now, we have all been putting Runescape through the paces so that Andrew can create a good game balance without any bugs. All video games do this with a few testers, but in this case, Andrew allowed the general public to act as the beta testers

Gurlen Borg: What is the irc server for runescape?

Unix: Squire, I dont think Andrew will make millions from P2P, more like a thousands. Anyway, the estimated price per year to run Runescape is $40,000-50,000.

KaoticKilla X: theres only like 15,000 people at most that play rune. Wtf made 100,000 pop into your head?

Squire Mike: well i amit its not 100 000 but I cant remnember but I was something that someboy said andrew said there is about 80 000 people. so dont wtf me your firther away (tat many poeple registered)

Zombie Master: The most possibly registered people is liek 30,000 and alot are inactive. Only 5000 tops will prolly pay. You can pay all at once if you want btw.

Ahah, this next topic is talking about one of the old "enter your password into this website for free armour" scams. Don't worry, the link mentioned within is now inactive.

Just a note to everyone

IMrFishI: someone called Rune4Free is advertising a nice scamming site of thiers. i know you are all probably bright enough to just ignore these adverts to get scammed, but some people dont. this site is bieng advertised http://www.rst-runescape.vze.com

it looks slightly like a legitimate runescape jagex site. but dont be fooled by the nice imitation of the runescape site. they ask for your username and pass to runescape, ask you to logg out for 5 mins and then go back and have new rune items. Jagex can probably have them up for breech of copyright law without asking to take registered images too and typing fake *copyright 2002* on the bottom to. thanks for reading

The following topic mentions something which I never knew about but sounds really cool - a feature they should perhaps implement again!

Is there a way to private message without

Coo_guy2000: is there a way to private message on runescape without going to friends list???

Fcuker: Not anymore, the "tell" command has been disabled.

Ski_me: yeah, i tried the other day and what do you know, i said my message to the whole world!

RuneScape: Before you could just type "Tell Username Message", but that doesn't work any more. There is another way but I'm not saying as it overides the online status and would result in loads of high level players getting annoyed.

Jeffsg: my god, why do these stupid noobs keep making fake names to make people think they are actual staff memebers or somthing. anyone with half a brain could tell that this runescape guy is obviously a fake. this reminds me of that fake lightning the other day. do these people think they are impressing anyone, or that they're funny? because i think at least 99 percent of all people reading these boards think they're just plain [developmentally delayed]ed.

RuneScape: Have I ever said I'm JAGeX staff? If I am or not I don't think it's any of your business. Go to my site, then you'll know who I am.

What's this crazy new P2P oriented item?! Some call it a vial...

Ummm did I miss something??

Adam500: I just found an item called a vial and I wanna know what its used for, can ne one shed some light on this for me? Any help will be appreciated, thank you in advanced.

XxCavalierXx: Well it's not very useful unless you plan to pay to play. You can use the vial on a fountan to fill it with water and use it for part of an herblaw potion.

Adam500: Makes you wonder why its in the game already. But it'll be useful since I plan to p2p. *puts it in bank account*

Yaurrada6: i have 53 of those things i'v been savin up

FlyByNight: adam after you use up all doses of strength potions you get 1 thats where they come from

KaoticKilla X: lol no point in collecting them they will disappear after p2p

KaoticKilla X: lol no point in collecting them they will disappear after p2p comes out* messed up

Punxstar: kaotic,why didn't u just edit ur first post instead of making another new one

Pugxsi: From what I was told, these were added into the game as monster-drops by accident. Paul later said that he planned on removing them from the game prior to the release of p2p. Whether this is still the case, I dont know. However i would still recommend saving them, just in case. I can imagine that herblaw shop in Taverley is going to be pretty jam-packed for a good few days. If these vials are kept in-game, it may just give ya a little head-start

Ski_me: you are right man, it will be more jamed then aggie not just new cheap item, NEW SKILLLLLLL

KaoticKilla X: Umm sry i didnt know u could do that didnt know what that was used for but if u think i spammed then erase all my post counts...and i pressed enter b4 i finished typing

Lol... I don't know why this next topic is in here, but I didn't want to miss any out...

Be back in a monthÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ

AguilauS: Im Going to my beach house for a month, and there is no comp with internet there i might get on while in a CyberCafe But i dunno, So Ill be back after a month

Flyber: Good Ridence... lol just kidding. have fun at the beach

Cav creates some more fuss about the Quest Points bug:

Quest PointsÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ

XxCavalierXx: Just wondering if they are ever going to fix the quest points since a lot of the older players like myself have completed all quests but only have 38, while some newer players who were not around during time of Influence points have 41 as full quest points.

If the Heros guild is Quest point specific, it may be possible that some people may be able to enter without actually having done every quest, or likewise, not be able to enter at all (depending on what value the guild is set at and what each quest gives).

BUT, I guess if the hero's guild is programmed by the fact that all quests are completed, then I guess the number of points you have doens't make a difference, and it's no big deal.

Blue Tear: But there's going to be a seperate quest to gain acces to the Hero's Guild, so maybe the quest points doesn't matter for it?

XxCavalierXx:

On 2002-01-31 15:25, Blue Tear wrote:

But there's going to be a seperate quest to gain acces to the Hero's Guild, so maybe the quest points doesn't matter for it?

That's what I was thinking, but you must have the other quests done in order to even get the entrance quest. So what I was thinking was this..

For arguments sake lets say you need 47 quest to get the hero quest, and some1 with 38 does the quests and gets 47, then gets the hero quest and all is well. But in the meantime some1 with 41 already, does maybe 2 of the three new ones and gets 47 points and gets the hero quest without actually doing all the quests.

Is it really right to let them do it without doing all quests, while other people have to? OR, is the system programmed to just read the list of completed quests and acknowledge the fact that all are completed and let you do the final one?

Just wondering which way it's done or if it's some type of bug that may want to be worked out BEFORE we have another problem on our hands.

If I remember correctly, when the points were converted from Influence to Quest, some people had to do quests over again because of lost information or soemthing and it may have caused a discrepency in some people's score.

It may be possible that even though somebody has completed all quests, that they can still do one of them over again to get the full 41. Maybe I'll experiment a little and see if it lets me restart any of the quests.

OR, It may also be possible that it has nothing to do with the conversion, but maybe a bug in a quest that you were able to repeat and gain extra points when it was first released, resulting in the 41.

I really have no clue. Just throwing some ideas out there cause I don't think we need to have a lot of people complaining that their friend got into heros guild but didn't do such and such a quest but they had to, etc

Blue Tear: Unless Andrews actually trying to get extra work I'd say it will be going by the list.

As far as I know not all quests give quest points either (I think. Did all of the old quest more than 10 months ago)

Hiana: those 3 extra points come from killing delrith twice

R2Keen2: well not accually killing him.. it accurs when you lose to derlith once then finish him... i got to the final spell but he killed me before i could say it... keep in mind that was back when derlith was an accual fight(none of that hitting 126 damage in one hit). also this was back in like march.

Drago_King_m.d.: Uhmm...but maybe you don't need to get that much quest points to get in the Hero's Guild and that you only have to finish all quests, except for one (the one where you need to get in to the Guild)...

R2Keen2: I'm thinking the heros guild will be based on Quest points and stats. The Quests only really didn't stop many from entering the champs guild/buying rune plate.

Uknown4life: quest point should be added to total stats if u ask me, and the hero gluid probbaly won't be so special as people say it will be

Drago_King_m.d.: Or why not let the Hero's Guild base on totall skill...??

E.g: 600 total skill to enter...

Punxstar: i have 38 Q.P,i fought it but ran and then i went to redo it 2hrs later,this was in july and yet people who done da same as me at that time got 41

Ski_me:

On 2002-02-01 08:09, Drago_King_m.d. wrote:

Or why not let the Hero's Guild base on totall skill...??

E.g: 600 total skill to enter...

i think that is a bad idea, you see, people like me who have done all the quests but dont have that many skill points wont be able to get in!

Shadow: Hmmmm i have 38 quest points so i must be a old player and i dun all the quests:)

XxCavalierXx: I don't think skill total should be related one way or another. The quests themselves should weed out the people by requireing certain levels to do certain aspects of the quest.

My full suggestion about the quest requirements can be found on this post:

http://runetipit.board.dk3.com/viewtopi ... forum=1&23

Teranzi: Amen to that, enough of all these stupid people who got a rune battle or whatever in their account, then gave it to their level-40-at-everything 'pure' to kill people with.

It would be really great to see a REAL quest (heh i'm fed up with 'get me ___, ___ and ___' ) that would make use of my stats Right now i'm basically average at everything, can't do anything 'specially well

I can't wait for the new dragon battle to arrive...!

Im confused

Quantum:

With the new "dragon axe" coming out...will rune battle axes be put in the shops?..will there still be a rune battle axe quest?

XxCavalierXx: No, the axe wont be in shops. The Quest WILL still be in the game, and only in pay to play, but the dragon axe is replacing the rune axe in the shop. It will stil be up to the smithers to supply the members with the shields battle, and 2 hander

Eorl: Hmmm, Oh well, at least they won't be spread out among the populace. Wait, the "populace" includes me. Dangit.

Drago_King_m.d.: Little question if anyone knows the answer too : about how expensive are those Dragon Battle Axes gonna be?

I really hope not more than 100k...

Icantthink: does anyone know how much any of the new weapons are gonna be? And are there gonna be any new guilds like the mining guild or champs guild?

Herr Lipp: It should be more than 100k because of inflation money isnt worth as much as it used to be because people are constantly making it through shops etc, it is never destroyed. Through this we are getting more money in the rs world so it is worth less. When rune items were first available only the richest could buy them at 60k or so, now 60k is nothing with some items selling for over 1 million.

If it was under 100k it would be too cheap and almost anyone could buy it.

Artem: i think it should cost a certain amount of EXP from EACH of your stats. That way, only people who have enough EXP,and are willing to lose it, can buy the item.

ArchAngel: what?

things selling for oevr 1 mil???

hmm....

i dont even have 100k !!!

omg!

KaoticKilla X: They should be like 400k each and have to have 70 attack or more to weild it.

Quantum:

On 2002-02-02 00:02, Herr Lipp wrote:

It should be more than 100k because of inflation money isnt worth as much as it used to be because people are constantly making it through shops etc, it is never destroyed. Through this we are getting more money in the rs world so it is worth less. When rune items were first available only the richest could buy them at 60k or so, now 60k is nothing with some items selling for over 1 million.

If it was under 100k it would be too cheap and almost anyone could buy it.

I think money is actually the only thing that hasnt lost value...in the old days adam kites used to sell for over 1 million..and only the richer players can still afford 60k..imagine if u had just started the game..60k would be more money than u could imagine..the only reason u think 60k is nothing now is because ur rich, the only reason more people are walking around in rune is because there are more rich people than there used to be...and some of the money made from people selling things in the shops is put back into the game from people buying things from the shops..and the vast amount of the money is owned by a few hundred players..the rest struggle to buy rune things

Robsmom hands out some decent sicurity advice

Sicurity Tips

Robsmom: If you been getting scamed its becuase yuor real dumb now heres some tips.

For lost passowrd recover system dont change the ?s

Also make all of them number bassed answere for example my first one is my scoial #

next one is my dads social # next is my phone number then do word based ones i got my grandmoms madian name and this somthing like dfjhgodshpsj i typed whatever in

Next right all answeres on a pieace of paper hide it somewere safe were yuo would rember it next right it down on another piece of paper and put it somewere you now yuo wont forget and finaly write it in a word documentand save it to a disk.Also save it to hard drive

Now for passowrd i would us number i us my social fo my pass adn i never got scamed that way i only got scamed by my friends nowing my easy ?s its all good hopefully he wont get on for 11 days for my lost passwor drecovry system reset i thinkc it should b elike one week for that.

Quantum: Security tip from me...dont give people clues to what ur recovery answers are

Sephiroth003: Hey, Quantum, whats Xx Sean Xx up to?

He selling his pc or something?

Dusqi: not a very good idea to save your password security questions on your computer.... if you do happen to get a trojan, then they not only get your password, but your security questions also.

best just to keep it on paper in your house somewhere... on a notice board is a good place. Basically anywhere that it won't get thrown away.

Robsmom: Ya that why i keep so many peices of paper with the answeres on it my mom throws to much **** away

RuneScape: Ya that why i keep so many peices of paper with the answeres on it my mom throws to much **** away

Unfortunately this next topic is the last one I saved. I must have finally gotten some sense after this. I think this is my favourite because it brings back so many old names who were all legends around a year after Runescape's public release. I think Uknown needs some spelling lessons. I certainly have never heard of Zoughi...

Runescape adwards for januaray

Uknown4life: yes i will be doing adwards very month now as i a idea so teh winners are....

best overall player is l6vi

best fighter is Zoughi

best ranger is kobiianardo

best paryer is Yedija

best magic is Bluerose13x

best cook is Tks

best woodcuting is Everdred

best fisher is Tks

best firemaking is Cowchicken

best crafter is Hiana

best smithing is Bluerose13x

best mining is waltteri

Gongrulations for Blue and Tks haveing to top stats as most, plys gongrualtions to all top players good luck with your skills

Cya next month

Well that's the end. I hope you enjoyed reading all those old topics.

:D

~Ian

newsig4ty.jpg

Retired Tip It Moderator | Zybez Radio DJ - Listen Here

Wow, I realized Tipit was threatened during the ScapeBoard phase, but didn't know the threats was so deep, and so often.

Why does people hate?

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it

Lightning almost quit?

Wow... I wonder how tip would have turned out if she left then...

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

is that from the irc? i was banned from that since the start for yelling at stupid people who yelled at me while we argued about the color of bluerite-whether it was a light blue or just plain blue or a dark blue

god i feel stupid now that i think about it

485th person to ever play RuneScape

Blue107- perm banned 10/12/2007. $300 USD reward if you can get me in contact with someone who will take 5 seconds to look at evidence and get my original character unbanned. 

wow this is amazing, like reading a dusty tome how cool crumbley pages aht are brown ooh neat!

unfortunatley for me, ubuntu (linux) has issues with runescape. firefox randomley crashes, and i dont kow why. oh well.

tipitlessersigea3.png

2002, year I started playing..

=( I miss Rsc now.. I've always missed it, I wish Rs2 had never been invented..

Yes, yes we all do... :(

Lol.

I played rsc once. :x

I don't know how it ever became popular. :?

But, I'm glad the new runescape is here. :D

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

What a weird thing to do, saving topics :P

Funny seeing all those names. Would love to hear from jbwhitnall, was a friend on rs 5 years ago.

sig2ho7.jpg

What a weird thing to do, saving topics :P

You can say that again...

I had the idea that I would eventually copy the entire Tip It forum general board topics into one massive document. I have no idea why. I was completely insane in those days *looks around nervously* completely sane now though. yep. that's me.

~Ian

newsig4ty.jpg

Retired Tip It Moderator | Zybez Radio DJ - Listen Here

Very good read while eoodcutting ;D. Personally, i've only read one of thouse threads while they were about, the one about rune battle axes and rune 2 handers becomming useless. Ahhh the good ol' days...

• 1 month later...
Good lord, i used to use "....." a lot in those days.

Nice post though. :)

- Quantum

Hi Tim! (who also pointed me to this post :P )

I can't even remember complaining about that lag XD