Tips and Strategies for Pest Control

spooferfish

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ancient magic is your friend in this =) Also, it should work better if out of the 25 people about 5 are busy guarding the void knight and the other 20 people try to divide in groups of 10 to go out portal hunting on opposite sides. Of course as things are right now that won't really work, but could hold a lot of potential later in clan events :P

captain_poet.png

Getting this out there if it's not already.

Portals seem to be weak to crush attacks (especially D Mace, Veracs)

Portals seem strong against Slash and Stab attacks

Portals seem weak against specific magical attack elements

If you are having trouble getting to a spinner because it's in the middle of a crowd, try running away and searching if any monsters are following you. You can safely lead them away and either go around to attack the spinner or let someone else take the initiative.

Also, as soon as the game starts, you should turn on your highest ATTACK prayer. Right before you think/know the game is over, turn it off. Your prayer will ALWAYS restore to full at the end, but if a prayer is still on when the game ends, it won't automatically turn off so be warned.

Good luck all, this is a great mini-game. I still wish they would raise exp and gold levels back up =\

I've been running to the middle portals right away and attacking them myself. Most of the time I can take it out before another group gets to me (unless a couple spinners spawn).

Pretty good tip if you're a high level. I've found it to be pretty successful.

Without doubt, stick a mage on the two towers overseeing the front gate, and/or long range archers. It helps so damn much and plus its nice XP for them. Lower levels can be reasonably safe up there too (Until you start getting ranged/maged yourself)

Special attacks: DO NOT USE SPECIAL ATTACKS AGAINST THE PORTALS Using special attacks against the portals spawns SPINNERS.

As I've said, Spinners heal the portals. So by using a special attack, you are, effectively, healing the portal.

This is FALSE. Special attacks do not cause Spinners to spawn. I have tested this extensively and I use specials every other round. NEVER have they caused a spinner to spawn.

meleevsarcher.gif

136 Combat, 2290+ Skill Total

I'm not sure one way or another about this, but since players can't walk through npc's, isn't it true that npc's can't walk through players?

In that case, I think it would be helpful for people in gated areas to stand right on the gate's two squares in front of it on the side where the monsters congregate so the npc's can't attack the gates, and so when people idiotically open gates while they're brimmed full of monsters, the monsters can't all rush out.

Special attacks: DO NOT USE SPECIAL ATTACKS AGAINST THE PORTALS Using special attacks against the portals spawns SPINNERS.

As I've said, Spinners heal the portals. So by using a special attack, you are, effectively, healing the portal.

This is FALSE. Special attacks do not cause Spinners to spawn. I have tested this extensively and I use specials every other round. NEVER have they caused a spinner to spawn.

I agree, I've heard many people telling others to "Don't use special!!" But I've used it many times, and it has not caused any spinners to come to the portals.

And I sort of not disagree with closing the gates =\

If there are those mage/range monsters, you would want to kill them as fast as possible because they can easily kill the knight, but closing the gate just makes it more crowded. But whatever, maybe I'm crazy -.-

When in a crowded area, kill a Splatter. Although some damage will be done to you, it will also kill some monsters. Also, go with the flow, most people go west or east. I'd go west, then work your way to the eastern part.

Another tip is to stand on either the right or left side of the middle part of the portal. Standing there will allow you to attack Spinners faster.

Some things I've noticed while playing the mini-game a bunch of times( what can I say? I think it's fun) I do defensive most of the time so here I go.

The gates: Splatters and Ravagers destroy the gates. Splatters will weaken the gate while Ravagers completely destroy it. If you kill a Splatter near the gate, the gate will be damaged. Monsters can't range or mage directly through the gate. The ones that range or mage the void knight at the south gate aren't directly in front of the gate. KEEP THE GATES CLOSED!! Prolonging the Void Knight's life gives the teams more time to destroy the portals. Don't be a noob and say "it's over" or "it doesn't matter" and open the gates. Can't win by destroying the portals if the Void Knight dies first. To range or mage or hally monsters on the other side of the gate, stand one square to either side of the gate. This is if you don't go in the towers.

Monster blocking: I have found that many monsters can't walk through other monsters. Monsters can't walk through players either. Also, the most important thing... THEY CAN'T RANGE OR MAGE THROUGH OTHER MONSTERS. Weird. But true. I sometimes let a lvl 37 Shifter have its way with the Void Knight when the Shifter is standing on the South square. And none of the magers and rangers will be able to attack. Also, same thing happens when a gate is destroyed and a long procession of monsters enter. One long line of monsters, including many Defilers, Torchers, and Shifters who aren't tellying, and only the front monster ranges or mages the Knight. I also once had a Shifter attacking me and maneuvered it carefully to the square south of the Knight and it would serve as a blocker. Be wary of people since they'll come along and attack ur blocker and continue to ask "Why?" even after you've thoroughly explained that it's blocking the magers and rangers. Monster can't range or mage through other monsters, but they can mage and range through players, so it makes it important to keep especially the south gate closed. That one often gets packed with rangers and magers and almost every type and lvl of monster.

Portal attacking: you can safely attack the portal from behind. By "behind" I'm talking about the side of the portal opposite to the side where the monsters are spawning. Generally it's the side closest to the shore. It's still important to spread out around the portal if there aren't any magers or rangers nearby to dispatch any spinners that may appear to heal the portal.

Monsters that walk through other monsters: Splatters, Spinners, and Ravagers I have noticed walking or floating through other monsters. I don't know if the Shifters can telly through other monsters. Sometimes it seems like yes, other times it seems the answer is no. I'm thinking no. But they can telly through players. I know that much.

Too weak to matter: Lvl 37 Shifters are weak. As I have said, I once let one have it's way with the Void Knight. It mostly hit zeros and the max hit I saw was a 4. Or was it a 5. Nine out of ten it hits 0's. Leave them for last unless they're too much in the way. It might also work to leave any lvl 37 Shifter that pops up in the square south of the Knight to block the magers and rangers, which hit higher and there are a lot more of them.

Noctis666.png

I vouch for the d2h i bought it just for this.

Perfect for when theres a herd of mosnters build up in front of the front gate and you are surrounded. Drop the spec bomb and stare

at the pretty big numbers and giant boost in xp 8) .

I'm not sure one way or another about this, but since players can't walk through npc's, isn't it true that npc's can't walk through players?

In that case, I think it would be helpful for people in gated areas to stand right on the gate's two squares in front of it on the side where the monsters congregate so the npc's can't attack the gates, and so when people idiotically open gates while they're brimmed full of monsters, the monsters can't all rush out.

Some NPC's can, the ravagers and splatters can go through you...

And also...dont know if this has been posted yet

pestcontrol2.bmp.jpg

If a Difiler or Torcher are ON this line, so you are one square closer to the knight, they CANNOT range him yet, so stay in front of them. If they get passed the line towards the knight, they will start ranging or maging. This would be useful for people trying to block them from getting to him.

Borschwicz.png

|Barrows Drops-7|Dragon Drops-5|

Some things I've noticed while playing the mini-game a bunch of times( what can I say? I think it's fun) I do defensive most of the time so here I go.

The gates: Splatters can't destroy fully repaired gates, but they can destroy damaged gates. Monsters can't range or mage directly through the gate. The ones that range or mage the void knight at the south gate aren't directly in front of the gate. KEEP THE GATES CLOSED!! Prolonging the Void Knight's life gives the teams more time to destroy the portals. Don't be a noob and say "it's over" or "it doesn't matter" and open the gates. Can't win by destroying the portals if the Void Knight dies first. To range or mage or hally monsters on the other side of the gate, stand one square to either side of the gate. This is if you don't go in the towers.

Monster blocking: I have found that many monsters can't walk through other monsters. Monsters can't walk through players either. Also, the most important thing... THEY CAN'T RANGE OR MAGE THROUGH OTHER MONSTERS. Weird. But true. I sometimes let a lvl 37 Shifter have its way with the Void Knight when the Shifter is standing on the South square. And none of the magers and rangers will be able to attack. Also, same thing happens when a gate is destroyed and a long procession of monsters enter. One long line of monsters, including many Defilers, Torchers, and Shifters who aren't tellying, and only the front monster ranges or mages the Knight. I also once had a Shifter attacking me and maneuvered it carefully to the square south of the Knight and it would serve as a blocker. Be wary of people since they'll come along and attack ur blocker and continue to ask "Why?" even after you've thoroughly explained that it's blocking the magers and rangers. Monster can't range or mage through other monsters, but they can mage and range through players, so it makes it important to keep especially the south gate closed. That one often gets packed with rangers and magers and almost every type and lvl of monster.

Portal attacking: you can safely attack the portal from behind. By "behind" I'm talking about the side of the portal opposite to the side where the monsters are spawning. Generally it's the side closest to the shore. It's still important to spread out around the portal if there aren't any magers or rangers nearby to dispatch any spinners that may appear to heal the portal.

Monsters that walk through other monsters: Splatters, Spinners, and Ravagers I have noticed walking or floating through other monsters. I don't know if the Shifters can telly through other monsters. Sometimes it seems like yes, other times it seems the answer is no. I'm thinking no. But they can telly through players. I know that much.

Too weak to matter: Lvl 37 Shifters are weak. As I have said, I once let one have it's way with the Void Knight. It mostly hit zeros and the max hit I saw was a 4. Or was it a 5. Nine out of ten it hits 0's. Leave them for last unless they're too much in the way. It might also work to leave any lvl 37 Shifter that pops up in the square south of the Knight to block the magers and rangers, which hit higher and there are a lot more of them.

All very intelligent observations and ideas but I would like to say one thing to all the high levels out there who can take a pounding about the highlighted section:

Stand right dead-center of the portal. You will prevent 1/4 to 1/2 of the monsters from going after the VK. Occasionally you will cause them to act like idiots and walk in circles when you stand there as well. You can take the punishment the VK can't... and if you die nobody cares. :twisted:

Also, I have noticed that the NPCs are basically mobile walls that haven't allowed me to attack over them as well as all of the other things that you mentioned. My tactic is the same as yours but when I return from leading them on a wild goose chase and I can't reach the trapped spinner by one monster I cast ice on the one near him which usually gets him to come to me. :D

RahkUrWrld.png

PM me in game to use some skills of mine (glories/potions) free or to ask a question.

Fire Cape - 04/29/06 Lvl 104

RAHK's Pro PC Gear and Guide(clickable)

splash02tm6.jpg Tired of hack and slash? FPSers getting old? Give this game a try!

I find, for attacking..... there is specific spots you should stand. They are on either side of the spawn points near the portals. When there is no spinners just attack the portals, but when spinners spawn you can easily attack them from where you are standing.

multigame6xy.png

Here is the spot in action:

multigame22hv.gif

mahasig95magicho6.gif

Proud co-leader of the Mayhem Makers, Runescape's best pure pking clan

Combat 97 - Str 99 - Att 93 - Hits 97 - Pray 52 - Ranged 95 - Magic 99

I Mahatma I - Thanks Misterxman for the great sig

Ok, I think ive posted enough now...

pestcontrol3.bmp.jpg

Ok, if you are in front of the line protecting thr gate, make sure its closed because they could accidentally go through you and your pretty much done by then. But just stay there and kill the rangers, if you do, none from this side will get to the void knight. just stay here and kill the rangers, if a strong Torcher comes up (lv104+) just slap on mage protect, then if a strong Difiler comes up (lv104+) put on range protect, and you should be good.

**They are almost always in this line because it is in fromt of the spawn point.

Borschwicz.png

|Barrows Drops-7|Dragon Drops-5|

Good idea!

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Proud to have gotten 1800 skill total before access to fishing guild

Why make a house when you can rob one?