OMG!!! RSO Forums

Noctis

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol... this is just great.

Finally Jagex get burned by a mistake they made. Maybe they'll start pulling their heads out of their [wagon] and learn to not make mistakes (and actually test things).

Tip.it had a similar problem a LONG time ago, as well as Runescape Community forums. There was a guy floating around who dubbed himself as "Bob Marley". He literally hacked Runescape Community and Tip.it Forums at least once (I think he might've hit tip.it twice). Either way... no one had Admin powers that I know of... but people could view every forum there was, even the hidden forum that Mods and Admins can only have access too.

Even that ordeal isn't quite as bad as Jagex's fumble. Which makes it even more funny!

EDIT: If these offenders don't get perm banned... I'll be surprised. Yeah... Jagex were stupid for making the mistake, but where some of you people get off thinking these offenders should get away with it is beyond me. I do commend them though for doing something I'd never be stupid enough to do.

Shiva.jpeg

R.I.P Shiva

Hello,

Well, it's been about four hours since the official RS forum went crazy and we still can't read a word from Jagex about what happened this afternoon.

It's only my opinion, but the way they've been censoring all posts regarding this incident looks very much the same as a dictatorship trying to hide a putch attempt. :shock: :roll:

Greetings,

Zou Lou.

Retired from RuinedScape 12/15/07.

Now playing a Tauren Shaman on World of Warcraft.

Server: Ravencrest.

Username: Zulu.

Y2G, how is it Jagex's fault that thier forums were exploited?

The person who found the exploit spammed it, so a policy has been instituted to hide all posts about the forum incident at risk of that post containing the exploit. This will probably continue until the loophole has been patched.

They are probably not making a public announcement yet because they are so busy with trying to contain the problem.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

lol, zezima had 3 bans in the forums, here are two i copyed:

This user has been banned 2 times (view ban history)

Banned on - Baned until - Ban length - Banned by - Unbanned by

25-Apr-2006 14:36 - until 25-Apr-2006 14:37 - 24 hour - ramstain - bam230 -

Reason for ban: oops, what that is for?

25-Apr-2006 14:36 - until 28-Apr-2006 14:36 - 72 hour - aasikud123 - -

Reason for ban: he lied

God I hope that question was rhetorical...

Thats a pretty silly question if you ask me. How isn't it their fault? :roll:

Shiva.jpeg

R.I.P Shiva

It's not hard to tell who should get banned at all. They just have to shut down the forums to the customers (Which they did) and search around in the forums. When they see a sticky like "Selling Ur m0m," they just have to see who did posted or edited that...and BANNED.

I agree with them banning their accounts and them from the forums, anyone who abuses powers like this, is obviously also immature, annoying, breaking rules contiunously, and ruining other peoples enjoyment of the game, in the game itself.

Would have been pretty neat to see what was going on if I was on the forums at that time :?

God I hope that question was rhetorical...

Thats a pretty silly question if you ask me. How isn't it their fault? :roll:

Well, as you said. Rune Tips got hacked. Was it Sunli and Lightning's fault? No, it was PhBB's fault. I can see how it's easy to say that the person who designed the board is at fault.

But ok: You are a talented programmer from Cambridge. Your job is to create forums resistant to all known exploits and hacking attempts. Given a few months of work, that is done.

Now what about the exploits developed during that time and afterwards?

Give me ONE hackerproof website not owned by a government, and I will be happy. There is loopholes in every code...you can't plan for every contingency.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

You obviously missed the point at what I was getting at. Which can can understand to a certain degree. I'll try and explain.

They make mistakes in the game all the time. Pest Control is a prime example of this. Its just about damn time that they make a mistake that reflects how bad of a job they are doing.

Its bad karma (sp?) in a sense, is what I'm getting at. I figured since there are a lot of people promoting karma on this forum that the mass majority would get it... guess I was wrong.

Surprised it didn't happen sooner then this. They kept promoting the forums as the safest out there. That would have been the perfect time for someone to do something to shut them up (or prove them wrong).

Exploits are bound to happen. And guess what? Its because of bad planning.

Shiva.jpeg

R.I.P Shiva

Something similar like this happened on GameFAQs once.

Users would sometimes be logged in as CJayC, the main site admin.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Bad times for Jagex again... Oh well i was quite as mouse, and all i did was remove all the bad comments mods had for me :) Wonder what they will do now... Lol everygame has this type of glitches sometimes, i remember the Dupe or the time when highscores can be edited. Good Ole days...

You can get banned for lying?! Interesting.

R.I.P The Old Nite. Heroes get remembered. But Legends never die. You were truly a Runescape Legend

newbankofrsyq0.gif

You can get banned for lying?! Interesting.

I think those bans were done by the fake Jagex Mod ppls during the "incident". I remember checking my profile to find a thread I had posted in and saw what a link that would allow me to ban users.

Noctis666.png

You obviously missed the point at what I was getting at. Which can can understand to a certain degree. I'll try and explain.

They make mistakes in the game all the time. Pest Control is a prime example of this. Its just about damn time that they make a mistake that reflects how bad of a job they are doing.

Its bad karma (sp?) in a sense, is what I'm getting at. I figured since there are a lot of people promoting karma on this forum that the mass majority would get it... guess I was wrong.

Surprised it didn't happen sooner then this. They kept promoting the forums as the safest out there. That would have been the perfect time for someone to do something to shut them up (or prove them wrong).

Exploits are bound to happen. And guess what? Its because of bad planning.

I disagree to some extent. Jagex been going longer than these forums in the making. They i guess intitled to a few small mistakes. NOT all bugs and glitches can be caught before release, compilers etc that i use for a online game i work for , doesn't always show up everything before a release and some bugs simply don't show until the script is active in game.

Bad planning? I think not at all from them. Nor do i feel they have to explain what went wrong.

I think personally alot of users here are making a mountain out of a mole hill here over what happened. We all make mistakes and we only human!

They are still i feel the most secure forums you can use.

As a reminder to all, you welcome to talk about what happened within reason, but please do not show any screenshots from Jagex boards showing what happened

Whoa.. someone I think I knew from somewhere pmed me yesterday saying "I'm a jagex forum mod" ..

I didn't know what he meant and thought he was lying so I just replied "Um..congratulaions?" and he said thank you.. a few seconds later he added "Everyone is a mod"

I didn't get what he meant at the time.. now I do.

king_bawoul.png

Whoa.. someone I think I knew from somewhere pmed me yesterday saying "I'm a jagex forum mod" ..

I didn't know what he meant and thought he was lying so I just replied "Um..congratulaions?" and he said thank you.. a few seconds later he added "Everyone is a mod"

I didn't get what he meant at the time.. now I do.

Ahh. The power of hindsight.

I'm sad that I was on a library computer at the time. I didn't get any screenshots of it all. It would have been a nice thing to look back on.

Also, anyone know what it means to have -100 bad chi? I'm kinda worried about it. Then again it's in the negatives so maybe that's a good thing?

Noctis666.png