my my... what IS sony getting into here?

Nadril

So, lets go over sony's 'exciting' E3 this year for the PS3:

First off, they lose the GTA licence for their platform, it may also be made on others as now now.

Sony: "Well, we at sony don't think this will hurt us this much."

I'd think again. I'm almost postive that GTA acumulated a decent bit of PS2 sales.

Second, the price. 500$-600$. (depends on hard drive).

Sony: We still expect to sell 100 million units.

well... can't say that they will untill price drops.

RUMOR, DISREGUARD

Also, third and the worst of these three:

Wednesday 24 May 2006

High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth buying new.

When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."

Wednesday 24 May 2006

High street games shops have been told by Sony that there will be no PS3 pre-owned sections in their stores as it will be illegal for customers to sell any next-gen PlayStation games that they've bought, retail sources have revealed to GamesRadar.

It seems that Sony is planning to adopt a licensing system that will mean gamers won't own the PS3 titles that they've paid money for. Instead, they will only be purchasing the licence to play the game and that the software itself will still be Sony property - meaning that the disc won't be the customer's to sell.

We assume that the thinking behind this move will ultimately be to stop PS3 games being resold several times - which currently snatches potential sales away from Sony - and to counter the impression in consumers' minds that games are only really worth their pre-owned price and are not worth buying new.

When we contacted Sony, it issued us with the following statement: "We have made all of the official announcements at E3 and cannot make any further comments at this time. We will be announcing more news running up to PlayStation 3's launch."

Basicly, its this. no more buying pre-played games for cheeper. no more renting games at blockbuster. hell, not even swaping games would work acording to this.

THIS IS A RUMOR, DISREGUARD IT.

So, do you think sony is digging their early grave with this? IMO I didn't realy care about GTA (at all. If I ever got the game i'd get for PC when it came out.) Also, the price could have been negotiable (well... i'd wait for a drop).

but this last one is just pretty stupid. I mean, what do they have to lose by making games able to be resold as pre-owned games, or to even swap them? Nothing realy, except a possibility of sony not making 'as' much money as they want to.

Also, one reason why this is going to bite, hard. A lot of games that are realy great often come out, are recognized by some but never gain popularity. They soon fade off and realy no more copys are being sold of them. So say said gamer wants the game a few years down the road (after hearing so much about it). They can't get it preowned, and there realy arent any copys left. He is pretty much SOL.

Although, they said they would have an online store, so we will see how that works. If they keep up all there titles on there it will be great.

Anyways, like I said, does anyone else see sony as being just a tad bit unreasonable with this whole thing?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, that's good.

As much as i'd love to see SoE to fail though.

The other too are still funny though.. Man, you miss so much when your banned, LOL. :oops:

The GTA thing sounds like the Resident Evil/Nintendo fiasco all over again... :-k

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

well if it is all true ...

GTA, they've lost the game licence, what is the point of having it if the other consoles get it anyway?

GTA is ps2's most bought game, halo 2 is xbox's best selling game.

about the no pre used thingy, if that was true then yes they are digging their own grave.

i sincerely hope they stuff the whole thing up because im a strict xbox supporter.

also about the price thing ... xbox and ps2 and xbox360 were about that price when they came out right?

i finally quit runescape to play world of warcraft. i play on frostmourne, alliance

check out my thread

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=479665&highlight=

Wiiiii-nage!

And no lol why do you always want to get stuff from John Lewis. Its over ̣̉300 more then than what i paid.

John Lewis is a great, great shop.

[The price of the Wii will be] ONLY 225 DOLLARS? :shock:

Sony is so f'ed.

Also, the PS3 won't rumble, and it's controller is still a 10 years old design, but now wireless. What are they thinking?

Oh, and by the way, as I'm a big PC gamer and a big GTA fan, and as GTA4 might not come out for PC, I was going to buy a new generation console just to play GTA. No matter if it's a Xbox or a PS3.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

Wow, im not phased.

• 1. I don't really enjoy the GTA games. I play more for just playing about than to actually play the game.

2. I don't mind about the price, my brother will probably buy it and we can share it.

Chances are, if I do well in my GCSEs (All A/Bs) I will get a reward. O:)

3. I rarely buy pre-owned games. Usually because they have something wrong with them.

The only thing that will phase me if the screen quality is really bad without a HD television.

knkcopy.jpg

You're a fanboy, can't expect anything less than justify PS3's worthlessness.

But Sony isn't a company that should have fanboys. They used to have the actual better products. They aren't like Apple.

michaelsigwm5.gif

"apinagez... let me

But Sony isn't a company that should have fanboys. They used to have the actual better products. They aren't like Apple.

I said PS3, not Sony as a whole. My entertainment system is pretty much Sony, including the 42" projection hdtv in there.

I just don't understand how people can justify the cluster[bleep] that is the PS3.

I said PS3, not Sony as a whole. My entertainment system is pretty much Sony, including the 42" projection hdtv in there.

I just don't understand how people can justify the * that is the PS3.

I'm talking about the PlayStation too. But the PS is the main Sony product, revenue-wise.

michaelsigwm5.gif

"apinagez... let me

Sony's main revenue is probably from TV's, VCR"s, DVD players and such. It amazes me that some people think Sony is some new company that just makes consoles. Go look at your TV once...What does it say? I know all mine say "Sony" on them. As do my VCR's and DVD players. Oh, and my sound system (house and car).

When it comes down to it, the PS3 is just too expensive. It is twice the price of other consoles just because it has Blue ray and some other little features on it - As if most people even know what that crap means. The majority of buyer's are kid's with rich parents. :lol:

Xbox will win this little "console" war. Why anyone else would think differently is beyond me. They stayed within the normal price range ($300) and still have great features. PS3's features are a little better, but for twice the price? No thanks. Wii is just too different. I think a lot of people are going to be confused by the controller and just skip it. I know when I look at the controler, my only thought is "What the hell?" That whole two-handed, seperated...thing...isn't working for me. Granted, I saw some video's of it in use and it was pretty nifty, but most people HAVEN'T seen it in use. How it respond's to you moving and all that, and you can use the controller in different ways depending on which game you're playing. Speaking of games...Wii's games (for the majority) are completely [developmentally delayed]ed. Mario has been done 1,000 times (literally now? Pretty close..) now and it's being done again...Though I heard word of a Mario side-scroller, which would be cool, and the other games, save for like 2 I've seen so far, look like they are for children. Booooring. :P

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

fake = yes

i wish it was true, i wanna see sony die. just for my personal ammusement.

+1 :twisted: :twisted:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Xbox will win this little "console" war. Why anyone else would think differently is beyond me.

If 360 gets more games, Im gonna have to agree.

Wii still places third among the consoles IMO. It sounds really exciting, but needs more games...

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.