Tip.It Times Presents: Preaching to the Choir

Kiara_Kat

Nice article sligo 8-)! You've always been one of the most intelligent people on this forum and i'd be surprised if you haven't already gotten requests to join the tip.it staff.

Actually, I was invited. However, after a short stint as a mod on another fan site (which will remain nameless at this time), I discovered that I'd rather play Runescape than spend my evenings moderating. For that reason, I turned down the invitation.

How is that scamming? I've used that has a buying/selling tecnique for a long time. Basic psychology for the win on W2.

Deliberately making people angry or upset in order to get them to make bad decisions is, to me, a form of scamming. Unfortunately, the technique is used by advertisers all the time in the real world (i.e. do headache medicine commercials give you a headache? They do me!) However, if the buyer realizes and understands this technique and recognizes it for what it is, then they won't be as likely to enter into an unfair deal.

- Sligo

MySig.jpg

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure you realize tht what you heard is not what I meant.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah moderating isn't as much fun as you'd think. You have to read tons more posts than you want to, and stuff like that. However, don't take taht in mind if they invite you.

Also, great article!

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.

If you try to fail, and then succeed, what have you done?

If someone who draws is an artist, and someone who plays piano is a pianist, what do you call someone who races?

Wow. Sligo, you did a great job on writing that wonderful article. Though I've never been scammed before (seriously, I haven't) and I've never tried to scam anyone, I'll always remember to keep those things that you mentioned in mind. :D

In other words, I'll "keep my nose clean." :thumbsup:

Sligo's article -> =D> =D> =D>

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

That was really interesting and well written. I have never been scammed, and I would be confident in saying that I never will, and I most certainly agree with everything that you have written.

||||||||||||||||||||||||[/size

ive also seen people who are just desperate. they were hacked, or they were scammed beyond whits end. what does a cat do when its cornered? fight harder, try to get back in control. so they scam to help get supplies back.

Beware of the Sara Trio

saratriosignaturerl8.png

Amen, although one other point I feel like I should add is that you should never feel rushed into a trade. If you're getting excited about selling your barrows item or whatever for a lot of money, and are on a slightly laggy server, pressing the accept button a few too many times might give the scammer an easy ride.

Also always take the trade at your own pace, don't let the buyer/seller rush you into it, you can always come back later.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

great post

i've seen you post some stuff before, very knowledgable, good stuff

If these were the rs forums and i were jagex, you would ave a silver crown, although you might already

it wouldn't surpuise me.

item1134847901.png

I know, i have a long, long, long way to go

I agree with "do" #5. "Think before you report".

I was accused of scamming and reported today. My "sin" was offering an uncharged Glory amulet in exchange for a charged one. When I made the offer the person I was trading with first of all called me a scammer and then about a minute later said that I had been reported. All the player really had to do was just turn down the trade, but now I am sweating over a possible punishment from Jagex.

By the way I made the trade later with another player with no complaints.

Do be proactive in your own household. If you aren't the only person who plays RS, make sure you are aware of what other people in your family are doing. Also, enjoy your life outside of RuneScape. There's more to the world than a few pixels on a screen. Take advantage of it.

This is so true; a close friend of mine was homeless for a while, so I let him stay with me, which naturally meant he used my computer for various things, though I almost put an end to that particular luxury when I discovered he'd downloaded an autominer program (which I quickly deleted before doing a full virsus scan). I confronted him about it and told him if he ever did that again, I'd ban him from my computer.

So, yeah, even if your friends aren't living with you, you should still keep a close eye on them and your system if they use your computer for anything, especially if you have high-speed internet as it could only a matter of moments to download and install such programs.

cube347.jpg

Part of the Star Traks network. (^^Clicky!)

Irony: An amnesiac rediscovering they have an eidetic memory.

Wow well said =D>

I agree with you on all points.....

I just I don't know why but make a lot of low lvl friends...

And sometimes I will spend so long walking them places advising them in trades. You know, like obby shield is 400k not 2m stuff like that..... I just don't want them to be careless like I was when I was like lvl 15-25....

again wow well said =D>

kkthnxbye

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Because of a scam. You know, I wanted to believe that people are good.

I had a whip. Some dude PMed me and reminded me of the time we met. I didn't remember, but that's ok, I'm a nice person.

He asked me if I owned a whip and then told me he wanted to get into a clan. He needed to kill someone with a whip in the wildie to get in.

I didn't really want to do anything, but he was persistant. I was feeling very generous and said ok. After all, if you don't attack, and don't have a skull, you keep your things.

I finally accept and go with him in the wildie. I turn off auto-attack to be nice. He says, I'll give you 300k afterwards as a payment. I said, "No dude, that's ok, I don't want anything. I'll just help out." We get to level 30 or so. He starts attacking me. Right before I'm dead, he offers me some mystic robes. I said, No I don't want it. I'll do it for free. He continually persists to say take the robes.

I finally say, ok fine. After I take it, I'm dead and he has my whip and I have 4 mystic tops. What great trade right?

There's no point in playing anymore. Why would I want to? It's not worth my time when people act like that. But to you tip it staff, I say good for you! Hat's off to you!

I gave away all my other things to a level 40. HE didn't know what to do with all of it so he divided it up among his friends. I'm glad that my 2 years of playing was able to make some kid really happy.

It's just sad that people like scammers really do ruin it for people like me.

I remember my first (and last) time me and a friend wer on world 51 and we told noobs to attack the lvl 41 wizard in top wizzy tower room. We told them we'd help them kill it they died we took there stuff split it. It was fun, mean, but i'v never seen that copyed it was original I know him to this day in fact I think i'v meet forsaken mage that way.I can't put my finger on it but I know forsaken mage in same way. I realy hope it wasn't in that way. That woulden't make me look to good. (as if it does already)

I like your article very much.

But why?.... These are people who have little or no responsibility and don't take responsibility seriously. They lack integrity and have the mistaken belief that they are the centre of the world.

I agree 100%.

All warfare is based on deception.

your tips/guidelines are better than jagex's message of the day :thumbsup: nice article.

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

wow...

I think that you are sad, sad in the fact that you say these things, having a shot at these particular people and specifically ask for no retaliation, you call them childish while hiding behind your stolen words and internet avatar.

You again say that you do not agree with the stereotype of these people having no life and living in darkness, yet you attack them for having no role model or an example to follow.

Then you try to categorize them with your emotional speech about there lifestyle based only on the way they act on runescape; on the internet I attack people for being idiots, that does not mean I would do that in real life. You of all people should understand that everyone has alter egos or personalityÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s when they are on the internet.

I can see why you arenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t the assigned writer, I think we all, and tip it have learned from this experience and I would recommend not allowing your writer to be replace by net bugs like this poor fellow

:-k

1st post!!!

oooo that was a very truthfull article i like it alot it was quite interesting to read

But why? The assumption that these people are isolated individuals inhabiting a dark basement or an attic bedroom I think is false. However, I do think there is something that may be common among them ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ãâ lack of accountability. As kids, they aren't accountable to their parents (or guardians). As adults, they don't answer to a spouse. I think that their behaviour in-game is a microcosm of their real life. These are people who have little or no responsibility and don't take responsibility seriously. They lack integrity and have the mistaken belief that they are the centre of the world.

that made me laugh

Now that you actualy managed to type 1st post after reading that article made me laugh.

However, this must have been one of the most inteligent pices written to date in the Tip.it history.