Today we Remember 9/11

happy123

It really doesn't feel like 5 years ago that it happened, maybe its because everyone remembers it so vividly - like it only happened last week. I even remember every detail of me hearing of it which for me is strange as my memory isn't brilliant.

I was getting a haircut after school and was listening to news on the radio but not really taking it in, I got the basics a plane had hit the WTC but I really didn't think to much about it, I just thought it was some tragic accident. I went home and like usual sat down stuck on some TV. Then I saw footage of a plane hitting a tower - it looked like a film and thats what I still thought it might have been until Trevor MacDonald from ITN news came on and announced that later a 2nd plane had hit the WTC and that it had collapsed. 9/11 was undoubtedly the most shocking thing Ive seen on TV and probably the most shocking thing I will ever see on TV.

However, as shocking as the planes impact were the thing that has always stuck in my mind is seeing the people in the towers who had given up hope jumping from the towers to certain death.

To me 9/11 was the defining moment of our generation. Everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing when it happened just as everyone remembers where they were when JFK was assasinated or when man first landed on the moon.

-----------------------------------

On the issue over the film by Oliver Stone, I have no problem seeing a film about 9/11. Everyone feels that 5 years is too short of a grieving period and that making a film now is insensitive, but how long a time would make it okay? 10, 20 years? In my opinion, tackling world issues/events such as 9/11 in art is an important part of the grieving process itself. It serves as a reminder to those who lived through that period of history and also will help future generations to understand the feelings and perceptions of those who were effected by these events. People have to remember that world events have always been looked at in art, both World War Two and The Vietnam War were tackled in art while the were still going on.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. I know what you mean. I can't believe how long ago it was... I was in fifth grade and my mom told me about it when I got home. She worked at my school and she said that the principal came around telling all the grade school teachers not to tell the children about it because they didn't want us to be afraid. Then, I went with my dad when he went to give blood. I remember one woman was sitting in there crying because her sister worked at the World Trade Center and she hadn't heard from her yet. :( It was very sad.

3898000bYVcx.png

About the movie: I think it's fine that a movie is made. What I don't think is right, is that the people that star in the movie are being paid to do it. It would've been fine, had they volunteered to do it. As for conspiracy theories, who cares? Whether or not it was a conspiracy, will never be proven. Personally, I don't think it was. Either way, thousands of people died. Thousands of families lost loved ones. Does the fact that it may have been a conspiracy make it any less tragic? No.

May the victims of 9/11 Rest In Peace.

May the families of the victims, live as happily as they can.

im sure i will get flamed for sayign this but im also an america, so dont get mad at me for saying this

in ways it was a bad thing that happen, in other it was good that it happened

it woke us up to that we arnt as safe as we think we are

our goverment were to lax on the way they took security in the country, its just sad that it took somthing of this scale form them to realise it

now i understand by saying it was a good thing, ppl will think what your not american, but im sure that there are other americans that think the same thing that im thinking, as i type this

so pls dont be rude, im not the only one

PS: i know my spelling isnt that greatest plz dont point it out

~bmms

a91e22ec.gif
Aefx(started 11/1/2002) Cb: 200 TS: 1900+
Bmms--Jr(Started on 1/24/06)(Banned 11/13/09 ) Cb: 119(pre-eoc) TS: 1700+
Bmms(Started 8/?/2001)(Banned 1/24/06 ) Cb: 101(pre-eoc) TS: 1350+

The core value of the arts is that they are a means for artists to communicate/express/depict something meaningful to them. As a society, we've forgotten the value of movies to inspire and communicate very deep, sentimental, historical and touching storylines. The art of cinematography has become "entertainment" and we don't want it to make us face difficult ideas...at least not often. The entertainment industry has gotten in the habit of NOT communicating anything worthwhile... so when it does, we think it's out of line.

I think the importance of any movie, book, etc. made about 9/11 is to get the message out about the strengths of America. I have not seen the movie, but I've heard/read that the primary focus is on the people who did SO much on that day to help save, comfort, rescue, heal, etc. those anywhere near the target sites. There have been several books from surviving family members who have also made a profit. There have been works of art created to memorialize the Twin Towers and the events of 9/11, many of which have turned a profit for the artist.

Do actors/artists make money, sure. Do production companies turn a profit, sure. Do they all pocket it...NO. I wouldn't be surprised if profits get filtered back out to help others. Even if it doesn't, the film might just let a few more people or an audience that was too young to understand what happened to see the passion of Americans. Instead of criticising them for making a profit, maybe we could say "Hey, normally they make fluffy movies without substance for WAY too much money...it's great that they are making a movie about something real".

The horrific tragedies of that day are what sticks with us. We also need to remember that out of those tragedies, many people sacrificed time, money, energy, etc. out of love for other people and their country. To be reminded of that, no matter the source, can't be all bad.

pentagonflagnu5.jpg

im sure i will get flamed for sayign this but im also an america, so dont get mad at me for saying this

in ways it was a bad thing that happen, in other it was good that it happened

it woke us up to that we arnt as safe as we think we are

our goverment were to lax on the way they took security in the country, its just sad that it took somthing of this scale form them to realise it

now i understand by saying it was a good thing, ppl will think what your not american, but im sure that there are other americans that think the same thing that im thinking, as i type this

so pls dont be rude, im not the only one

PS: i know my spelling isnt that greatest plz dont point it out

~bmms

Don't worry, there is nothing offensive about any of that! :)

Unfortunately, it seems that the Giant is rolling over and going back to sleep, as it were.

I remember my thoughts and reactions on that day. I thought it was a freak accident until I watched the second plane hit with 34 of my classmates. Anger, fear, pain, anguish, sorrow...

It was truly a defining moment in history, even if people are starting to forget.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Who doesnt know what the day that will live in infamy is?

You would be quite surprised, and depressed, what the common(I can never spell that #@%#ing word right) American knows about its own history.

mcchrissigaw8.gif

Everybody lovin' it, but ain't no body touchin' it

For those of you deluded enough into thinking it was planned by the government

or that there was a conspiracy of some kind.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science ... 27842.html

Terrible how people try to spin a tragedy into something for their own personal

gain. Many people died that day and I find it dishonorable to turn our backs

on them by making up tales of fantasy without a shred of viable proof.

My thoughts and sympathy go to the victims of that day

and I salute the heroes that fought to save lives and especialy to those

who died trying.

znsiggi236se.jpg

OMG not another one of these pathetic threads (Yes im anti american yes im english yes i have my own reason's)

But look at you all. 'Oh poor americans 3000 lost there lives in one day'

What about the millions of innocent people amercia has killed in this war and in the past where is thier remeberence days.

EDIT: This thread is not putting more weight on this particular event in relation to other tragedies and wars. It is simply a thread to comment on the event on it's anniversary. - Ard

Engl1sh.png

Engl1sh of RSAlliance

Goals Att 80 - Str 80 - Def 80 - Slayer 85

OMG not another one of these pathetic threads (Yes im anti american yes im english yes i have my own reason's)

But look at you all. 'Oh poor americans 3000 lost there lives in one day'

What about the millions of innocent people amercia has killed in this war and in the past where is thier remeberence days.

EDIT: Lets not go astray by responding to this, at least not on this thread. - Ard

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâï(ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâú_o)/ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâï

doomdeathyz5.gif

You believe what you want, and I'll believe what I want. I'm going to avoid discussing that subject in this thread though.

I think some might want to keep in mind it wasn't just US citizens that were harmed, physically and emotionally... That incident shook the world even though the event physically occured on US soil.

I live in the west coast of the US, and at the time was in the 10th grade. I was more or less getting ready to go to school and commute across the city. I had heard on the radio that the Pentagon was hit, but what I didn't hear was the World Trade Center towers. I have relatives that live in NYC, so I was just numb when my classmates, who were waiting for class like I was at around 10:30 US Eastern time, told me what happened. Later, our teacher had us quiet down in class and told us what happened in full detail. About an hour and a half later, the entire city was told to leave work/school and to go home. My family was a bit scattered, with my mother on one side of the city, while my siblings in the other, and my dad elsewhere. We all managed to get home somehow, with me getting a ride from my classmate, my uncle picking up my brother

Fortunately my relatives in NYC were all right. What was more scary was that my aunt and uncle, who flew over from NYC to my hometown for my grandfather's funeral, left on the plane one day before all of this occured. :|

I called up the airport anyway on that day to make sure one of my friends, who works as a flight attendant, wasn't on any of those flights. She's fine as well, but having seen all that had happened, it makes you realize just how much you value the relationships between people you know, and how easy it is to lose people around you.

I agree with Bmms about how in a strange way, this was a good thing. It woke us up to how slack our security was. Some will argue that perhaps things are going a bit too far in terms of banning certain items, but I won't get into that. That's not the purpose of the topic.

May the victims of this tragic event rest peacefully. May the families and friends of the victims find a way to continue on living happily, peacefully. May those who are affected by this event one way or another continue on living on with courage, faith, and the knowledge that things can and will get better.

People ask, "What's wrong with remembering 9/11?" I say there's nothing wrong with it. It should become a permanent part of our memory, just as Pearl Harbor, the Holocaust, the Armenian Massacre, the Cambodian Killing Fields, the Madrid train station blast, etc. should become a permanent part of our memory.

It seems that what a lot of people don't understand, is 9/11 wasn't just an "act" or an "event". It was also a process. Just as all the previous mentioned tragedies and all the other senseless tragedies in history were also processes. It starts when people have a difference of beliefs and one or more of those people assumes the "right" to call his belief the truth. Then they start to feel that those other "false" beliefs are encroaching on their "truths" and limiting their effectiveness. Then the seeds of bigotry and hatred are born. Then it slowly starts to develop into a "them" versus "us" mentality. First, it's just the ones that are the most dangerous, i.e. the ones that are most devoted to the opposing cause. Then slowly the line between the staunch devotees of the opposing cause and the ones who aren't quite so devoted becomes blurred. Then line between those and the one's who aren't devoted at all becomes blurred. Then it reaches the point where there is no line. It becomes a violent, paranoid state of defending the "right" belief at all costs. And at that point, the seeds for tragedy are sown.

This is what needs to be remembered. This is what needs to be taught. It doesn't matter what nation a tragedy occurs in or what people are affected; it's still a tragedy. Yes, remember the event. But remember why the event started. Remember what the event taught us.

That's everything I have to say about the entire 9/11 issue.

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.

Terrible how people try to spin a tragedy into something for their own personal

gain. Many people died that day and I find it dishonorable to turn our backs

on them by making up tales of fantasy without a shred of viable proof.

My thoughts and sympathy go to the victims of that day

and I salute the heroes that fought to save lives and especialy to those

who died trying.

You mean like the Bush administration constantly beating 9/11 like a dead horse whenever Bush's popularity drops? Most of what was talked about in this article was some of the wildest and most idiotic conspiracy theories ppl came up with about 9/11...easily debunked and probably completely unneccessary to even discuss.

The topic about the buildings falling because the steel lost its strength is almost complete bs though. Countless high rise buildings have caught on fire around the world and burned for hours without falling like the buildings of the WTC. The steel in those buildings was selected to withstand just such an event regardless of wether there was the fireproof coating on them or not.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca, Stoic philosopher 4BC - 65CE

It seems that what a lot of people don't understand, is 9/11 wasn't just an "act" or an "event". It was also a process.

Exactly. This event will be a milestone in a process. When today's efforts are written in the history books, I think that 9/11 will be what people say was a catalyst for the process that broke down the proverbial "wall" of oppression in the Middle East. Think about how long it took after WW2 for the Berlin Wall to come down and how much time, effort and sacrifice it took to get that accomplished. The idea of enabling the Middle East to achieve democracy is not a new concept. The process of gaining enough footing/motivation to go over there to do something about it began long ago. Now that the democracy is emerging in the Middle East all members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) will have to stay the course until it's done.

Our generation may not get to see the "wall" come down, but the emergence of democracy over there and a more unified world will evolve in our lifetime at the least. I think that the fall of the twin towers will eventually be memorialized as the catalyst for the fall of Middle Eastern oppression and terrorism. The deaths of the victims of 9/11 and the War on Terror will not be in vain.

It seems that what a lot of people don't understand, is 9/11 wasn't just an "act" or an "event". It was also a process.

Exactly. This event will be a milestone in a process. When today's efforts are written in the history books, I think that 9/11 will be what people say was a catalyst for the process that broke down the proverbial "wall" of oppression in the Middle East. Think about how long it took after WW2 for the Berlin Wall to come down and how much time, effort and sacrifice it took to get that accomplished. The idea of enabling the Middle East to achieve democracy is not a new concept. The process of gaining enough footing/motivation to go over there to do something about it began long ago. Now that the democracy is emerging in the Middle East all members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) will have to stay the course until it's done.

Our generation may not get to see the "wall" come down, but the emergence of democracy over there and a more unified world will evolve in our lifetime at the least. I think that the fall of the twin towers will eventually be memorialized as the catalyst for the fall of Middle Eastern oppression and terrorism. The deaths of the victims of 9/11 and the War on Terror will not be in vain.

Did you know that Iraq was once a democratic country? How about Iran? Know why they aren't democratic countries any longer?

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca, Stoic philosopher 4BC - 65CE

Did you know that Iraq was once a democratic country? How about Iran? Know why they aren't democratic countries any longer?

Iraq has never been a democratic country, unless we talk about ancient history, and even then no greek-style populistic government has ever existed there. Since the former president Rahman Arif was overthrown by the Baath Party in the 1960's, the country became practically a one-party dictatorship.

In 1979, Saddam Hussein became the sole ruler and dictator of the country. Before that, by a League of Nations mandate the area was granted to the United Kingdom before the second world war.

Iran? Since the second world war, the shah (or king) Mohammed Pahlavi was installed on the throne by the CIA and the pressure of the United Kingdom and USSR in hopes of a more cooperative ruler especially in terms of oil dealing. He was in no means democratic, he is one of the personifications of autocracy. You haven't heard about the Black Friday in Iran, the military on the orders of Pahlavi killed over 300 protesters?

Before that, Iran has never been even a historic democracy. It is now still an islamic republic created in the 1979 by the Ayatollah Khomeini who is the spiritual leader, in fact a higher position than president Ahmadinejad.

I would like you to back up your claims or not present them at all.

Yes, this day was extremely sad. I lost a few friends in the tragedy.

I got the day off of school, and went home with a friend. Didn't realize what happened for a while. Meh.

irulepokergd4.jpg

Irulepoker.gif

My Farewell thread. Please post nicely, or die. :^_^:

Yea, I'd vote for him too. But I don't think they let Iraqis vote :P

And to top this off, the nuclear program in Iran foreshadows a future nuclear war... Iran claims it is just for energy...but who knows? They hate us anyways, you can watch videos. Iranians burn American flags, burn dolls representing America, and also slaughter Americans who had the misfortune to show up in that vile region of the world.

"9-11" will never be forgotten, it will generate more hatred towards the Middle East and Arabs. What are they going to listen to their false god and suicide bomb buildings? How ridiculous! This is the truth and it makes me sick to think about them, and their barbaric practices.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

And to top this off, the nuclear program in Iran foreshadows a future nuclear war... Iran claims it is just for energy...but who knows? They hate us anyways, you can watch videos. Iranians burn American flags, burn dolls representing America, and also slaughter Americans who had the misfortune to show up in that vile region of the world.

"9-11" will never be forgotten, it will generate more hatred towards the Middle East and Arabs. What are they going to listen to their false god and suicide bomb buildings? How ridiculous! This is the truth and it makes me sick to think about them, and their barbaric practices.

Okay where will I begin. Firstly anyone who uses 9/11 as an excuse to hate "arabs" or any other minority (there are crazy anti-semitic 9/11 theories also) is a small-minded bigot, like yourself. Secondly, Muslims just like Jews and Christians believe in the same singular holy being (Allah means God by the way) therefore your false god comment is rubbish. Lastly but by no means least, you mention 9/11 briefly in passing once in your entire post, there is already a topic about Iran that you can use, although if you want talk rubbish like you have here then please for everyones sake dont.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)