��â�š���£25 per day to drive an SUV in London

Necromagus

I drive an SUV :oops:

If you don't mind me asking (and no offence, I'm just asking, and please answer 100% honestly) why did you choose an SUV over any other car?

We go hunting/fishing upstate a lot and need something to haul the 5th wheel. I drive it to school and work otherwise though.

Ah, ok. Do you know anyone else who owns a SUV? (Sorry, just interested)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't mind me asking (and no offence, I'm just asking, and please answer 100% honestly) why did you choose an SUV over any other car?

We go hunting/fishing upstate a lot and need something to haul the 5th wheel. I drive it to school and work otherwise though.

I have at least one friend that does, he doesnt drive it for any utlity reasons, its just the car he got handed down when he got his liscence and his parents got a new sedan. Its not a crime here lol

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

I have at least one friend that does, he doesnt drive it for any utlity reasons, its just the car he got handed down when he got his liscence and his parents got a new sedan. Its not a crime here lol

Course not, just interested. I'll stop now. :wink:

why do YOU choose a sedan over any other car?

485th person to ever play RuneScape

Blue107- perm banned 10/12/2007. $300 USD reward if you can get me in contact with someone who will take 5 seconds to look at evidence and get my original character unbanned. 

I guess I am with the minority on this one who think this law is bad. I've never driven a SUV, and I probably never will because I don't see the point to them. But it was my choice to not use them, not the governments. Big vehicles have their uses too. There are many times when you need a big truck. Have you ever tried to put 600lbs of concrete mix in the trunk of your coupe? Try putting 14ft long pieces of 2x4s in your small car. Try pulling a trailer with two professional lawn mowers on it that weight 1000lbs each. Big vehicles have their uses.

I have no problem with people using SUV's for the reasons you outlined, but I don't understand why you have a problem with this law. The reasons you mention aren't really Central London norms, so there is no real reason why SUV's that are doing what they are made to should be in the zone at all, the SUV's that are going to be charged are 'petrol wasters'.

manipofsarahs1gg5.png

Haha my mom drives an SUV. :P

But here's why we do drive SUV's. For people like me, who have to carry 7 people to one place, a car is extremely inconvient. I have a Saturn, personally, I don't mind SUV's, since I don't drive that often, except to and from school, and some other places.

But to save gas, it's better to cart everyone in one car. My car runs on vegetable oil (and diesal fuel), I could drive myself and others, but that's a pain, since where we go every other night, or so it seems, charges $5.00 to park per car.

And it also makes long trips up north, with 7 people, a pain, in a little car.

I agree however, in cities like NYC, London, Paris, Tokyo, no one should have a car, it's too time consuming.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

But here's why we do drive SUV's. For people like me, who have to carry 7 people to one place, a car is extremely inconvient.
Should've gotten a minivan. More ecconomical.

Minivans are ugly.

We call them soccer mom vans.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

And a lot of people who own SUV's just to haul kids around are also soccer mums, what's the difference :uhh:

Aftually, owning an SUV just to haul people around is hated in most 4x4 circles.

Personally, the only hate I have in regards to 4x4 owners are towards those that NEVER use it for what it's designed for. If people stopped buying 4x4 to "haul their kids around" it wouldn't be such a problem.

That's why I hate SUVs. The people that drive them are people so addicted to their office, and probably afraid to actually use it for what it's designed for. Instead it's become the status symbol of the man who's lost his heart.

summerpngwy6.jpg

I cannot see why anyone would not use pubic transportation. I would if they offered it.

People don't like to have to deal with other people.

I can't stand using public transport for these reasons:

•  

[*:hekbs482]Surly bus drivers who act as though its an inconvenience to them when you get on their bus

[*:hekbs482]Drunks/tramps

[*:hekbs482]The noise

[*:hekbs482]Chance of getting mugged in big cities

[*:hekbs482]Have to wait for the vehicle to arrive

[*:hekbs482]Costs more than driving in my car

[*:hekbs482]Uncomfortable

[*:hekbs482]Only goes to certain places - I have to walk to the bus stop/train station and then again from the next one to uni - my car takes me door to door

[*:hekbs482]It is crowded

[*:hekbs482]It is cold

I need to have a car anyway, so it isn't as though I only have one for commuting. I don't live in a place with congestion charging though.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

I cannot see why anyone would not use pubic transportation. I would if they offered it.

People don't like to have to deal with other people.

I can't stand using public transport for these reasons:

•  

[*:10o6shq6]Surly bus drivers who act as though its an inconvenience to them when you get on their bus

[*:10o6shq6]Drunks/tramps

[*:10o6shq6]The noise

[*:10o6shq6]Chance of getting mugged in big cities

[*:10o6shq6]Have to wait for the vehicle to arrive

[*:10o6shq6]Costs more than driving in my car

[*:10o6shq6]Uncomfortable

[*:10o6shq6]Only goes to certain places - I have to walk to the bus stop/train station and then again from the next one to uni - my car takes me door to door

[*:10o6shq6]It is crowded

[*:10o6shq6]It is cold

I need to have a car anyway, so it isn't as though I only have one for commuting. I don't live in a place with congestion charging though.

And to that,

• It is dirty.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

Hopefully they can do this in the US, I just hate SUVs...

My parents have a Chevolet Surburban (SP?) and it barely fits in our garage. Plus the size of the seats seemed for Sumos... I urge her to use our other smaller, red Chevolet (shape as a SUV, but isn't. No 4x4 wheel drive, and small ::' ) but she wants to use the big SUV. :wall:

Me personally dont like buses, but I would ride a train/subway over a car anyday. Too bad we dont got many of them here in Los Angeles area...

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

But here's why we do drive SUV's. For people like me, who have to carry 7 people to one place, a car is extremely inconvient.

Minivans are ugly.

Silly me. I would have thought that saving $20000 on the vehicle, $100/tank in gas and saving the environment was worth having an "ugly" vehicle.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Minivans are ugly.

Silly me. I would have thought that saving $20000 on the vehicle, $100/tank in gas and saving the environment was worth having an "ugly" vehicle.

Vegetable Oil is your friend. :wink: Seriously, all you need is a desiel car, a tank of diesel, and a $700 kit. Anyways, it is a great idea for someone with limited $$$.

As far as cars/vans/trucks/SUV's being ugly. Yeah, the look matters. Which is why people always want fancy sports cars.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

They shouldn't be in a city like London anyways. They barely fit on American roads, how can they fit in those tiny old roads?!

Now, if they could only do the same thing here in the States. I hate first of all, having giant SUV headlights at eye level in my Sedan, which makes night driving a pain. Also, getting nearly rammed by a soccer mom every two seconds, etc.

Barely fit on the road? :P

My SUB was able to squeeze by a fullsized tractor on a 'smaller than a paved road' dirt road the other day :P

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

Minivans are ugly.

vwvanpf7.jpg

:-w

Minivans are ugly.

vwvanpf7.jpg

too bad its not a mini van?

485th person to ever play RuneScape

Blue107- perm banned 10/12/2007. $300 USD reward if you can get me in contact with someone who will take 5 seconds to look at evidence and get my original character unbanned. 

You large vehicle haters need to shut the hell up with your sweeping assumptions.

My mother drives an SUV, my father a truck. Know why? My dad hauls two catering grills plus tents, event stuff, etc. around EVERY DAY in the bed and brings along either a 15' trailer or a pair of generators. My mom does the same thing to a lesser extent with an SUV - ever try hitching something up to a sedan? Remember, there are people that actually legitimately need large vehicles for business, and I think my family would most definently fall under that category.

Additionally, it's been proven time and time again that large vehicles are safer than small ones. When I start driving I don't want to be stuck in a unibody, 10-year-old used piece of garbage. I want something big, so that WHEN, not IF I crash, I'm alright. Not to mention the fact that SUVs and trucks outnumber cars about two to one around here. I guess you could try and make a statement about how you contribute to the problem, but the bottom line is that since where I live has a lot of construction, fishing, and blue-collar employment, these kinds of vehicles aren't going away anytime soon, and you trying to persuade anybody otherwise is an exercise in futility.

But I do also hate tailgating soccer moms.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

Minivans are ugly.

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/1248/vwvanpf7.jpg

Shaggin' wagon? :P Oh the fun you can have in the back :-w O:)

In a way I'm glad to see someone finally doing something about SUVs. I'll admit I have to drive an SUV in the winter but that's because there's no way in hell I'm going to try to drive my car in snow. Also, I don't plan on having to deal with the effects of my vehicle on the environment. I figure my life will be fast and fun but my children/grandchildren can deal with the problems I helped cause..

Guest GhostRanger
Additionally, it's been proven time and time again that large vehicles are safer than small ones.

That's what I've always heard as well...

Minivans are ugly.

vwvanpf7.jpg

Are you kidding me? That is pure awesomeness...