A Personal Strive (long read)

Dalcyte

Throughout our career as a runescape player, everyone has goals, it's typical and it obviously just comes with the game. But i wonder how many people finish those goals, before moving on to another...i know myself personally of being guilty of such thing..but i had a good excuse O:)

There are some things that just make us determined, and stick to a goal like...like...superglue to pretty much anything, that superglue is something else (i'm terrible at analogies) Moving on. One might wonder what that is, the key factor that gives us the drive to keep on truckin to that 85 slayer, even though it isn't as profitable...maybe in my case 99 theiving, although it is pointless aside from the theiving cape that's oh-so-hawt <3: The obvious answer is that it must be fun, and we must like what we're doing, we must also want to have a good end product of the goal, something that we have whether it be stats or the cape, maybe some coins or item. I believe this is not the truest cause for such, in that you can have a great goal, maybe not in particuarly extremely hard. It has a good end product giving you stats, money, etc...but you give up half way. This works with liking what you're doing...i personally have gotten tired of pyramid plunder frequently, but stick with it. One of the number one causes has to do with psychiatry. Friends simply. When someone makes a blog, or rate this thread, people post, and that encourages them to keep moving along to show those people what they're really made of! Not a quitter, but you're determined to get that, filled with new energy. I was about ready to head over to a game of cw after gettin bored with pyramid plunder, when i saw lord umega walking by...i hyted him and had a couple rounds then i saw acj, and we played a few games together. It was really what made me stay there, talking (or not in the case of pyramid plunder, except by saying "ugh, dang scarabs") with people about your goal and theirs. I know this is a long read, but i'll be happy if you read it, and posted your opinions on this and what you think of this. Thanks.

Interesting... :-k

My only goal is training. I really hate skilling, which is why my total level is only 1190.

Some of my training goals:

80+ Attack: Done

80+ Strength: Done

80+ Defense: Done

80+ Hitpoints: Done

80+ Mage: Done

80+ Range: Working on it now (65/80)

im lvl 107, just finished 1st runescape goal...65 slayer =)
lol i got that at 103 2 tips about dust devil slaying

ring of wealth DOES help with d chain drop

get bones to peaches before training on them

Your name is "bet you fail", and you're starting a business with your mom? I'm not even going to touch that.....

I don't think it's nescicarily what we are doing to train that we like, it's the thought of the end result, and the encouragement of others, that keeps us going. Although that of course does have a few exceptioins; some people are strangely attracted to certain things. Like farming, I hate it, but obviously Season likes it enough to get 45m+ xp in it. I mean, you really have to like a skill to take it that far.

Of course it is important to take breaks to do somthing else when you are dealing with a goal that involves somthing you dispise. My VERY long term goal is 99 agility; I get about 100-150k xp in it every week. At that rate it will take me more than a year and a half or more, but at least I won't be bored to tears when I get it. If it's a goal you want sooner than that, then you should try to make it more interesting. For example, at the moment, I'm training RC via abyss. It is already pretty interesting, but on top of that, I'm raising a cat at the same time. <- And that pretty much works for any skill tht involes making constant bank trips, or alching/fletching. Just buy up a bunch of milk from RFD chest.

i generally end up forgeting a created a goal and just kinna move on

the only real goals i kept up with were 99wc and 99 cooking

right now im working on getting a p-hat and i've kept at that for the past week'ish, so i think i'll keep at it till i make it maybe :?

i do agree with your idea of people generally stick to there goals more with support from other players to keep their moral up

legends2.jpg

hmm a good topic, not a longish read though, good and bad lol.

i think for one to drive themselves to reach their goal is how they start out the goal, and how or if they have made a plan that makes them stick to it, also the end result does incent us to create the goal in the first place. For example, agility. The first incentive i would think for the purpose of 99agility would to be able to run non-stop(virutally), making my nat runs at abyss faster, also that cape is pretty nice too. End result has given me the incentive for 99agility. But now my incentive is killed since i have to get 39lvls and well over 12million exp. That just killed me, but then i think again about my constant running, and that shinny cape! I then think to myself, okay i'm gonna do this, when and if i were to get to 75, i'm now probaly thinking, gees this is boring as heck! I didn't make a plan to keep me on that skill, thus i leave the goal and go onto another....But if in the beginning i had said i think i'll stay attracted and true to this skill by every 5-7hours, take a 10minute break and do anything i want, my time anything i want. This would probaly help tremendlessly, and boom i got 99agility.

What also could keep us to a skill, is a strange obsession with it. Prayer is my obsession, maybe because irl i'm very christian or religious, maybe the way and how relaxing i find it, when i find the money for dragon bones that is lol.

Many things do apply to a skill, and i believe to stick to one skill, is different for every skill, i mean you can't take 10minute breaks from farming, rather then you can from agility, combat you can, but your still training another skill, which can drag your mind off your goal. Every skill has many different variable on how to level it, stick with it, the end result or reward, this is a reason why some like me have very low magic and range and why i have "high" melee skills.

I'm also guilty, stupid farming, 6th day i stopped at 24 lol....goal was 30-.-.

I'm going to have to disagree on your argument that skilling is fun.

Nonetheless, though I believe that cutting thousands of trees down or running through PC a couple thousand times or rushing through the Abyss another couple thousand times isn't fun, I can see how finally reaching goals is. Achieving a goal for a blog, proving your skills to your friends, getting an ultra-flashy 99 cape, or just simply seeing those sparkles over your head after any level has to be a lot of fun.

That's kind of the way it is for me. I don't like the Barrows as it's boring, but the joy I feel when I open that chest and a Guthan Helm pops up in my inventory drives me to keep doing it.

Same thing kind of goes for my Magic training. I HATE any forming of skill training (though multi-tasking PC was very easy), but finally being able to Barrage was great. Not as fun as I thought it would be to get the level, but it was cool.

(But damn does Barraging cost a ton....)

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

For me personally I think the thought of the achievment and the item/whatever is what gets me started on a goal, yet if it's a big goal I must enjoy it else I won't bother attempting it. At the moment my current goal is rather large, I'm going for 99 firemaking, it will be my first 99 level. The thing that attracted me to attempting the goal is the skill cape, the reason I haven't quit yet is I enjoy leveling the skill (if I woodcut the logs myself). The only time I take a break is to do tears of guthix, bank my seeds/nests and maintain my approval rating on micelania, all aren't exactly time consuming. When I'm stringing bows I allow myself a break seeing how much xp I am from a level and reading a short portion of a thread every 500-1000 bows.

I also think it has something to do with the person, I have a irl friend who comes up with (for him) the most rediculous goals, such as 99 fletching, 99 woodcutting fletching and magic, 6k silver bars, smithing full addy. (None ever completed or close) And each time he tells me and my other rl friend who plays we both just exchange a look and a comment reminding him of one of his previous goals.

funnyline.png
260pifq.jpg
dlWmf3d.pngcyndane.png
Balthamel.png

I am totally this kind of player, setting myself goals, striving to achieve them, sometimes changing them on the way, etc. But, I think that I am not so much "goal-oriented" as I am "plan-oriented".

What I really like to do, is to plan. I set some goals, and I have that great feeling of satisfaction when I achieve them. But I find a great pleasure in researching how to achieve it, in making the plan. Computing how many nats I need to get to lvl 70 runecrafting, meaning how many runs. Timing the various methods and computing the time needed, taking into consideration glory recharges, etc.

You get the idea, I hope. I like the feeling I have when I achieve a goal, but I also like the preparation to get there.

103 combat | 1M+ xp in each skill (lvl73) | 1800+ skill total | quest cape

Level 86 herblore, 85 farming

I wholeheartedly agree with one of the minor propositions in this thread: that it isn't the game contents that keep us going, it's the friends, the encouragement we get from blog replies that allows us to prevail and finally to go to Catherby or the Rogues den and collect our hard-earned cape for the princely sum of 99k. I have a little story to tell to back up this argument:

This past summer, I all but quit RS. I abandoned my account, going 2 1/2 months without playing. My brother, when he realized this, started pestering me for my rune armour and gp. But sometime in August, I was looking around on tip.it and decided to play a little more. I started mining, which was then at about lvl 55. Setting a goal for myself of lvl 60, I started playing more and more often. I have 2 friends who encouraged me, and I became increasingly active on these forums. Since then, I have gotten bored and re-installed Neverwinter Nights on this computer, but it can never match up to the amazing community in RS. That, above all things, is the one aspect of this game that has kept me hooked (because we all know it most certainly wasn't the graphics :wink: ). I don't know if I will ever be able to "quit" rs. I might stop playing for a period of time because of school, but I probably will come back.

Sorry for the long read :(

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

I tnd to set myself lots of short term realistic goals. I'd get too bored if I suddenly decided to go for a 99 in any skill (although I think that I would probably go for thieving if I did). My current goal is 70 in all skills, which I was only about 5 total levels short until hunting came out :( .

curanir1.png

Best Barrows Chest: guth skirt, dh helm, dh axe, racks, gp (23/08/06); best tt reward: robin, guthix helm, guthix legs, nats, rune legs