The game that defines gaming for you

Doughnut

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Vagrant Story, Tales of Symphonia and Devil May Cry are all games I hold above most others.

The Final Fantasys and Symphonia because of the almost complete immersion in the game, Vagrant Story because of its ridiculous complexity and brilliance as a game, and Devil May Cry because there's nothing more fun than the sword/gun battle style in the game.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I couldn't possibly pick only 1 game. That's why gaming is so good: it's so varied and there's no set formula for what a game can and can't have. That's why it's my favourite form of art.

So I pick 4 games, for entirely different reasons (the only thing they have in common is that they are aimed at adults).

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas...I've explained before, I think even in the last week, why this is quite possibly the high-point of video-gaming. This takes way too much flak from so called "experts" in gaming. I'm not even going to go into it again...But this is, and will be for the forseeable future, the high point of gaming.

2. Planescape: Torment. Best. Story. Ever. (I'm currently playing Chrono Trigger [don't ruin this for me Nadril], followed by FF7 in order to be able to better back up my claim...I just can't see it being any better than this). The story is better than any book, movie or game I've ever experienced. And even though it's a teen rated game, and there's no real reason a 12 year old couldn't play it, they shouldn't play it. The story is mature; you wouldn't be able to fully appreciate it, with all it's philosophical beauty, dark atmosphere, morbid happenings and truly interesting twists. The rest of the game is good, but the story elevates this to a point where few games will ever be able to reach it, and I don't think such a unique story is what the current and future video game execs are going to gamble with, so this may just be the all time best piece of writing in gaming.

3. Unreal Tournament: I'm talking original. This game is just...So well done. There's no real story, no characters...It's just easily THE BEST game for FPS gameplay. Half-Life series? Psssh. They're Good. Just nowhere near Unreal good. It's, simply put, never been matched before or since in terms of smoothness; it just feels right. Rather than clunkily moving your person around, it's almost like an extension of yourself. Competent graphics (even today), some of the best AI ever seen (with sick voice taunts), and dozens of amazing levels, this simply is my favourite FPS ever.

4. This is more of an honorable mention, but Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne is simply an excellent combination of the above. Outstanding amounts of fun, a well-written, mature story, and fantastic gameplay. And style to spare.

5. Dark Forces gets note too, because it made me a life long PC game fan, and is better than Doom. Take that, Doom fans.

2. I've heard great things about planetscape :). Sadly I have never played it myself! I guess I never got the chance, maybe someday I'll pick it up.

Chrono trigger is amazing, btw :).

3. I can agree that as far as combat goes UT has that, it is very smooth ;p. I chose half life purly for the single player and the huge elevation of mods the game has spawned. Also for the huge influence it's had on FPS's.

I couldn't possibly pick only 1 game. That's why gaming is so good: it's so varied and there's no set formula for what a game can and can't have. That's why it's my favourite form of art.

So I pick 4 games, for entirely different reasons (the only thing they have in common is that they are aimed at adults).

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas...I've explained before, I think even in the last week, why this is quite possibly the high-point of video-gaming. This takes way too much flak from so called "experts" in gaming. I'm not even going to go into it again...But this is, and will be for the forseeable future, the high point of gaming.

2. Planescape: Torment. Best. Story. Ever. (I'm currently playing Chrono Trigger [don't ruin this for me Nadril], followed by FF7 in order to be able to better back up my claim...I just can't see it being any better than this). The story is better than any book, movie or game I've ever experienced. And even though it's a teen rated game, and there's no real reason a 12 year old couldn't play it, they shouldn't play it. The story is mature; you wouldn't be able to fully appreciate it, with all it's philosophical beauty, dark atmosphere, morbid happenings and truly interesting twists. The rest of the game is good, but the story elevates this to a point where few games will ever be able to reach it, and I don't think such a unique story is what the current and future video game execs are going to gamble with, so this may just be the all time best piece of writing in gaming.

3. Unreal Tournament: I'm talking original. This game is just...So well done. There's no real story, no characters...It's just easily THE BEST game for FPS gameplay. Half-Life series? Psssh. They're Good. Just nowhere near Unreal good. It's, simply put, never been matched before or since in terms of smoothness; it just feels right. Rather than clunkily moving your person around, it's almost like an extension of yourself. Competent graphics (even today), some of the best AI ever seen (with sick voice taunts), and dozens of amazing levels, this simply is my favourite FPS ever.

4. This is more of an honorable mention, but Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne is simply an excellent combination of the above. Outstanding amounts of fun, a well-written, mature story, and fantastic gameplay. And style to spare.

5. Dark Forces gets note too, because it made me a life long PC game fan, and is better than Doom. Take that, Doom fans.

I praise you, Dark Forces is a beastly first person shooter. I grew up with Doom and Dark Forces as a kid, loved them both so very much.

KAW

Super Mario World

I spent hours upon hours playing that game when I was a kid.

Honorable mention to Final Fantasy X-not because it's so much better than everything else, but because it got me into tons and tons of other games(Starcraft, HL1 and FF7 to name a few)

RPG [Console]: Chrono Trigger. Forget Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger completly decimates it. While I said Baulders Gate II had the best "PC" gaming storyline, Chrono Trigger has just simply the best story ever told for an RPG. There are so many unforgettable moments [Finding out who Lavos is, ect ect] and it turns out to be a grand game. It also hosts one of the damned hardest boss battles I have ever witnessed and, even for an RPG at its time, has a huge replayablity factor. Simply amazing.

Can't agree with you more, even though I haven't ever played it all the way through, I had to get rid of it before I could beat it and now that I have a SNES again I can't find it anywhere, though I found my second favorite game for it, Secret of Mana.

Other games, FFVII(Of course), CivilizationIII(Haven't played any of the others), Legend of Mana(Been addicted to that game since it first came out lol), FF Tactics, Pokemon(The new ones are very repetitive and basically the same games as the ones before them, but you can't say the first 2 arn't classics), there are tons more I'm sure, but I can't think of any at the moment, just got home from work :? .

crim2ma.jpg

~^v^~Ex-Leader of the Divine Flames of Redemption~^v^~

I don't have Call of Duty, though I've seen it and I'm quite impressed by it, so please don't say, "If you want realism, CoD is better!" when I say this:

Day of Defeat. (And I don't have Source yet so shhh! :P)

Reason why I like it is mostly because it does take into affect that getting wounded will slow you down a bit and that you'll need some time to recover from the shock. Likewise, a sniper rifle isn't gonna just sit there still for you; the crosshairs will jiggle, and the scope isn't 100% clean.

Only thing I don't like about it, which is the same problem with CS, is the fact that some of the weapons are one-hit kills. On Day of Defeat, the K98. The riflemen and the snipers alike use it on the Axis side (I rather not try putting in the German name for it... I'd butcher it so bad), and they're basically "noob-sticks." Although, I have to admit, when I'm stuck to even the teams, I'm normally a sniper anyway, so "noob-stick" away and yay! Hit a guy on his toes and he is DOWN, whereas if I used the Springfield (sniper rifle on the Allies), I hit the toes of the Axis, "Aww, the guy's still moving! >____<"

And yes girls play FPS too! =D> They can be scary... XD

I don't have Call of Duty, though I've seen it and I'm quite impressed by it, so please don't say, "If you want realism, CoD is better!" when I say this:

Day of Defeat. (And I don't have Source yet so shhh! :P)

Reason why I like it is mostly because it does take into affect that getting wounded will slow you down a bit and that you'll need some time to recover from the shock. Likewise, a sniper rifle isn't gonna just sit there still for you; the crosshairs will jiggle, and the scope isn't 100% clean.

Only thing I don't like about it, which is the same problem with CS, is the fact that some of the weapons are one-hit kills. On Day of Defeat, the K98. The riflemen and the snipers alike use it on the Axis side (I rather not try putting in the German name for it... I'd butcher it so bad), and they're basically "noob-sticks." Although, I have to admit, when I'm stuck to even the teams, I'm normally a sniper anyway, so "noob-stick" away and yay! Hit a guy on his toes and he is DOWN, whereas if I used the Springfield (sniper rifle on the Allies), I hit the toes of the Axis, "Aww, the guy's still moving! >____<"

And yes girls play FPS too! =D> They can be scary... XD

I'd post a reference to CAD but i'm about to go to bed.

Maybe someone can follow up with me on this one ;p.

Favourite FPS's -

Halo 2

Call of Duty 3

Wolfenstien Enemy Territory

Americas Army

Favourite RPG's -

Runescape (Duh?)

World of Warcraft

Overall Favourite Game/s -

Halo 2

World of Warcraft (cant play cuz my comp sucks :-( )

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

I enjoyed Grim Fandango and The Curse of Monkey Island back in the day. Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Brothers and Super Mario Bros. 3 are some others I've always enjoyed.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

well, I have a few to be honest

Diddy kong racing (for the N64) was the first video game I ever played, and it got me hooked. The atmosphere whilst playing was amazing. It had good graphics (for the time) a decent tory line (ish) an evil pig! :twisted: and it was great! I found my N64 the other day, I might buy a controller and diddy kong racing for it :)

Ocarina Of Time: I am to be honest a massize zelda fan, So I own "Zelda, the collectors edition" Which has the gamecube version of Oot on. I played it right from the beggining to the end. It was so much more than a game, there was a world to search for heart peaces, enemies for days, and a horse named "Epona" Horse riding was fun, and played a major part of the game in my view

Mario 64: Made me a mario fan, I am still missing 1 star on that game! It was so fun, the fact that you jumped through paintings and beat up bosses and did missions made it for me. It was the mission where you raced a penguin down an Icy slope that makes me love it, I must of played that mission a million times over

well thats my three

Andus-Sig-1.jpg

For me, I've played a lot of games over the years, with only a few sticking out in my mind. One of them being Rollercoaster tycoon. That game just eats your time.

Wario ware on the cube is one of the best multiplayer party experiences ever, especially when the games running at a million miles an hour. I've got high hopes for the Wii version to recreate that.

Another one that sticks out in my mind was Paper mario 2. Its one of the few games over the years that i've encountered that has a genuinely funny script, and the gameplay was gold, if only because it blew a lot of the RPG formula to peices and rebuilt it. Classic game.

As far as handheld games go, theres just one that sticks out in my head, and thats the advance wars series.

Another game I enjoyed was Wolfenstein 3D. I wish I had a 3DO so I could actually play it. :(

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D

I enjoyed Grim Fandango and The Curse of Monkey Island back in the day. Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Brothers and Super Mario Bros. 3 are some others I've always enjoyed.

Look behind you! A three-headed monkey!!

Lol I loved that game, I still play it every once in a while, I have the 3rd and 4th, but can't seem to find the first and second

crim2ma.jpg

RPG [Console]: Chrono Trigger. Forget Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger completly decimates it. While I said Baulders Gate II had the best "PC" gaming storyline, Chrono Trigger has just simply the best story ever told for an RPG. There are so many unforgettable moments [Finding out who Lavos is, ect ect] and it turns out to be a grand game. It also hosts one of the damned hardest boss battles I have ever witnessed and, even for an RPG at its time, has a huge replayablity factor. Simply amazing.

Can't agree with you more, even though I haven't ever played it all the way through, I had to get rid of it before I could beat it and now that I have a SNES again I can't find it anywhere, though I found my second favorite game for it, Secret of Mana.

Wanna hear something funny? My friends brother traded their SNES copies of Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana for a Chancey (Pokemon) card, back when that craze was going on. The guy on the receiving end of that (who I know a bit aswell) is sooooo happy.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Halo 2... And i'm getting an Xbox with halo 2 in like 4 days... OMG!!!!! I'M getting HALO TWO!!!!! I still can't believe that...

Anyway, I also have most of the old fps's that came out (Doom, Wolfenstein 3d, Rise Of The Triad, Doom 2, Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, etc... I might even have the very first fps, Maze, somewhere...)

I also like CT, used to be really good at it, but haven't played it for like 3.5 yrs...

Oh yeah, almost forgot, Unreal Tournament freaking rocks too, but unfortunately I don't have it...

I beat half life on a friend's computer, and played multi too, and it's not as good as H2, CT, or UT...

And I don't know why so many people like Wolfenstein 3D... I got stuck around episode 5 level 4...

Losers...

Are you blind or ignoring me on purpose?

Even though I sometimes side with religious people in some debates, I no longer consider myself religious.

Wanna hear something funny? My friends brother traded their SNES copies of Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana for a Chancey (Pokemon) card, back when that craze was going on. The guy on the receiving end of that (who I know a bit aswell) is sooooo happy.

Thats gotta suck so much, how did your friend take it?

crim2ma.jpg

Thats gotta suck so much, how did your friend take it?

A big group of us were playing poker a few days ago (including me, my friend, his brother, and the guy who traded with him), and someone brought it up. My friend has never really forgiven his brother (Chrono Trigger is one of his favourite games ever). His brother tries to play down the importance of it, but you can tell he really feels stupid. He still has the PS re-release, but judging my what the SNES version is selling for on ebay...
bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

Actually a more modern example I can think of for me was Breath of Fire III, it had such brilliant characters and puzzles. I loved that game, but could not beat the final boss. Whenever I would train, in the last dungeon, it'd train too much and end up dying.

The one for PSX? With then Yggdrasial tree and all that?

If that's the one your talking about, yes AMAZING game. :P

Hmm dunno about the tree, but you start out as a baby dragon and a small kid Ryu. And theres a theif that turns into a weretiger. Peco, a onion. Yea it was the first one for playstation.

gr454rc.gif