The complete "Should F2P get updates?" Debate! 5,000 views!

Buckeyemange

Before I begin, I am an f2p player currently. I joined P2P when it first originated (I've been around for a while. Never had a high level account. Quiet.), but left due to a short attention span.

Does f2p really deserve updating? Not really. However, it is probably within Jagex's best financial interest to provide small updates to f2p players. The f2p players get a taste of what member's is like. If they like it? They'll pay into it.

For example, the interface for construction currently exists in f2p to allow access to homes. If Jagex restricted f2p players to say... level 3 or 4 construction (as is done on Tutorial Island), they would be able to provide f2p players with an example of what construction is like. For this, they would buy their equipment from a special vendor. Things like that would a way for f2p players to get a small sampling of what p2p is like.

And yeah. Achievement Capes for f2p should DEFINATELY be done. That's about all.

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well..

people say. "only bank space and thats it"

i use to play this game a year ago but i took a break. when i came back it was still the same.. nothing new :\...

Runescape for F2P Is boring. i have never seen a game so boring for F2Pers, i play a lot of different games and F2P is as fun as been a member on runescape.. cause JaGeX dont give a [cabbage] about F2P.. only money. i can be a member if i want.. but i'd like to see some changes in F2P

I understand Jagex's thought when it comes to updates, people paying get the updates right? Still there are some people out there who can't pay for membership and F2p is the only way to go. In my opinion Jagex should make one update to F2p for every, say, 10 member updates.

PinkSig1.jpg

Thanks to GoldWorks!

As someone said a while back, they should get updates slow and steady. But if theywant to get updates, they MUST pay. We pay out of our own pockets (or parents =]) So why should they get updates if they don't pay. You don't pay by looking at the ads, all of you look at them once and DONT CARE AT ALL. If there wre no ads, YOUD HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY. Be happy the ads are there.

Click here for my Falador World 2 Bank/Park and Price Guide

Clicky click for Recipe for Disaster Weapons and Gloves Guide!

Proud owner of a Woodcutting Cape - Sunday, Febuary 11th, 2007

Proud owner of a Flecthing Cape - Sunday December 16th, 2007

I'm not completely opposed to the idea of F2P getting updates, just not at the rate or scale that our updates come out at. One update every 3-4 months, maybe even every 6 months, should be sufficient to keep them occupied. To date (since I joined in late 2004), the largest update they got was the Stronghold of Security, and that was both meant to be educational as well as a content update.

Maybe Jagex will be considerate and give them a new quest, perhaps... Again, this quest could be educational and would deprive the F2Pers of their argument that "We never get any good updates." To be perfectly honest, they're lucky they got any updates...

f475e02ecc.png

don't worry, you are going to "hell" anyway. wanna race to see who gets there first?

Officially reached 100 Combat at 1:33PM EST, June 14, 2007

First Dragon Drop: Dragon Chain (Dust Devils) @ 10:48PM EST, July 14, 2008, lv113 combat

Before i became a member, i thought that f2p should get updates. Now that I am a member i can see it from both sides.

F2P should not get updates because they are paying so little a month, for so much more to be unlocked in the game. F2P is a trial to see if you like RS or not. If you like it enough to pay for it, then you should. If you don't want to pay for it then whatever, just keep playing the F2P game.

The only update i think that f2p should get is a little more bank space because of all the randoms/holidays/skills you need to hold in that tiny bank

valgirl1gz3.gif

I dont think they should get frequent updates but one every 6 months (like Stronghold of Security) would be ok. They do get the different graphic updates, like the new look monsters and stuff.

They also get holiday items and events.

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

• 2 weeks later...

I have been a free to play way longer than I have been a member. Therefore, I believe I can understand two sides to the story. First, I will start with F2P.

ON F2P's Debate:

Most of us have been a F2per before in our RuneScape career. Whether it was for one day or you still play as a F2Per, most of us have been in that boat. It's very rare for a kid to start paying for membership right off tutorial island when he can check the game out to see if he likes it for free first. I was a non-member for a very long time. I was always one of those F2per's that thought they would never become a P2Per for many reasons to be explained in the P2P debate. I was also one of those kids that was getting bored of the game. I knew F2P worlds up and down. Items were so limited that I knew every F2P item in the game. I thought it was unfair for us to never get an update. I felt left out, and sad because I knew the game could never get any better than it already was. Frustrated, I took a break from RuneScape for almost a year. When I came back, nothing had changed, I knew all the items still, and I was still bored. My bank was always full, therefore, I couldn't bank any of my random clothes. It seemed to me that the only fair thing was to help out us F2Pers a little bit.

Now for a P2Pers Debate:

The most common is... I pay 5 dollars a month, guaranteed. That 5 dollars is a guaranteed pay for Jagex. No worrying about ad's, it's money in their pockets. I'm actually paying cold hard cash for these updates. I deserve them most. This is, although it is mean to some, the honest truth. If you think about it, I have had members for about 4 months. If you break that down, that's 20 dollars in Jagex's pocket. I can say this...

One month, I payed for the extra bank space. Second month I payed the extra money for the quest. Third month I payed for the extra skills. Fourth month, I payed for the extra items and mini-games. F2P only puts in about a fourth of what members does a month(ea induvidual kid) if even that. From what I understand, Jagex's advertisement price goes down if I never click on the advertisement. In all the time I was F2p, I payed ZERO dollars to Jagex. What I recieved was a good majority of skills. A proportional amount of Bank space, although I do feel bad for you guys, and loads of items. All for FREE. In my whole time I have been a member, you could say I have spent $2.50 on ea new skill.(20 dollars divided by 8 new skills) This includes all the quests and whatnot that also comes with membership. Now, let's say you spend 4 months of F2P, according to the formula in the first post, you spend even though it's not coming out of your pocket, $1.80 a month. This means for 15 skills, you pay only $0.15 a skill with all the quests, bank space, and items that come along with F2P. If anything, P2P is getting jibbed. The only thing is, Jagex released too much to F2P too fast. You guys have soo much already that they can't add more, or P2P wouldn't even be worth it. You guys have to take that into consideration.

I hope you didn't mind reading such a LONG post. :lol:

I hope it all made since, I did this while fishing, and tried to make it as easy to understand as possible.

devotedconstructionkt0.jpg

I'm not totally opposed to f2p'ers getting updates. Not that they should get one every month; but perhaps a few updates a year, just to keep the f2p population from leaving. And correct me if I'm wrong, but do they not see the graphical updates that are being made? And what about the game engine upgrades, and world switcher and stuff? There are plenty of updates that DO affect f2p players.

I am of the same opinion as Buckeye: I don't really care whether f2p gets a bunch of updates or not.

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!

i dont think f2p should get updates. why should the people who dont pay ne thing not one single penny get updates and that is also takin away time that jagex could be creating a p2p update. ok yea maybe a new quest for f2p everyonce in a while but not often. they dont pay for the game and this si just beside the point. lol most fo them are 11 yr olds -.- i h8 f2p loads of beggars..but no i think they should giv maybe a new quest once a month or sumthin but nothin more.

dragonmpraycape,virna.gif

Making a pure. Xv Wild Xv atk:71/99 str:73/99 def:20/20 mage:70/94 range:65/90 prayer:52/52

i think its reasonable to give f2p a couple updates here and there, nothing HUGE, but just little things. mabye give them some colored boots at first to go along with there gloves, mabye a few new basic colored capes, an update for the cooking guild has been needed for a LONG time. cmon. its only lvl 32(i think) to enter, and every other guild is twice as high. mabye come out with a few new rune weapons, and tweek the stats of the rune weapons already in use. do you ever really see anyone use anything besides rune battle/r2h/ or scimitar? they should raise up the other weapons properties so there can be more diverse fighting. i have been playing since around February of 2001, and just became a member for the first time around 2 years ago...i never went back to f2p. but yes, f2p do deserve a few updates every couple months.

barrowsmcw,Anglefire.gif

Anglefire.gif

i dont think F2p should be updated because it would completly make things worst, actualy the F2p version of the game is the only thing that reminds me of RSC (which sadly i can no longer play) it was almost litterly left untouched since RSC! (and its a good thing) F2p offers alot of people the chance to get as close as they will ever get to the past long gone of runescape and i think it should stay that way, the members version of the game IMO is completly rubbish,ruined,nerfed, you name it, you know it. F2p (except for macros) is the only remaining living piece of RSC and i truly want it to stay that way.

in conclusion, i say.. Jagex! you ruined P2P!!! dont you dare doing it to f2p.

i think its reasonable to give f2p a couple updates here and there, nothing HUGE, but just little things. mabye give them some colored boots at first to go along with there gloves, mabye a few new basic colored capes, an update for the cooking guild has been needed for a LONG time. cmon. its only lvl 32(i think) to enter, and every other guild is twice as high. mabye come out with a few new rune weapons, and tweek the stats of the rune weapons already in use. do you ever really see anyone use anything besides rune battle/r2h/ or scimitar? they should raise up the other weapons properties so there can be more diverse fighting. i have been playing since around February of 2001, and just became a member for the first time around 2 years ago...i never went back to f2p. but yes, f2p do deserve a few updates every couple months.
i completely agree. lol all u see is rune scimmys -.- make sumthin new. it gets to become a eye sore seeing the same weapons over and over <.<

Making a pure. Xv Wild Xv atk:71/99 str:73/99 def:20/20 mage:70/94 range:65/90 prayer:52/52

Well, I'm p2p for 1 year now, and I would like to say... Most of the updates are for us, cause we mostly give the money for it to do it.

I live in Holland and we need to pay ÃÆââââ¬Ã¡Ãâì4,60. for 1 month member ship... most of the stuff is great, like new world.. but i think they should add like burthrope and taverly to f2p.. warrior guild and mini game's room. to make it more interesting

afroman103ow6.jpg

Natural Chemist: To addicting

http://www.naturalchemist.com/?ref=robkuh1990

i dont think F2p should be updated because it would completly make things worst, actualy the F2p version of the game is the only thing that reminds me of RSC (which sadly i can no longer play) it was almost litterly left untouched since RSC! (and its a good thing) F2p offers alot of people the chance to get as close as they will ever get to the past long gone of runescape and i think it should stay that way, the members version of the game IMO is completly rubbish,ruined,nerfed, you name it, you know it. F2p (except for macros) is the only remaining living piece of RSC and i truly want it to stay that way.

in conclusion, i say.. Jagex! you ruined P2P!!! dont you dare doing it to f2p.

lmfao...wow..ruined? i think people would quit playing runescape if they wud have kept it the same as it had been nuthing to look foward to now we have 99 skill capes better new improved weapons nah they didnt ruin it i say ur completely wrong on that part :shame:

i now see how jagex's childish managment ruined the community too.

back in 2002 we where over excited when an update came once in 2 months!!

YEAH! thats right! once in two months on avarage!!!

now look at all the whiners start whining when they dont get an update every week.

THAT includes you all the so called high levels. demanding more high level content.

in my opinion you got MORE THEN ENOUGH FOR A LIFE TIME.

i now see how jagex's childish managment ruined the community too.

back in 2002 we where over excited when an update came once in 2 months!!

YEAH! thats right! once in two months on avarage!!!

now look at all the whiners start whining when they dont get an update every week.

THAT includes you all the so called high levels. demanding more high level content.

in my opinion you got MORE THEN ENOUGH FOR A LIFE TIME.

yep i knew it a angry low lvl :D ok since ur mad cuz of the high lvl content and u say we are whinning uhm listen to ur posts? ur the one whining :shame: and i say to that hmm...lvl up? \:D/

Being a free player for over a year before I got members, I know what the update quality and quantity was like. Basically nothing. I support a FEW f2p updates a year, maybe 2-4. I have heard the argument time and time again that before p2p it was all free, and they got updates then. Well, frankly, that is red on the BS meter. I am not saying it's not true, I am saying that almost all of the pitiful ad revenue goes into maintaining the f2p servers. People seem to forget that there must me a constant increase in F2p space with every new account that is created, and that is a lot, at the rate people are coming off the tutorial. I mean, it is like a BAR is going off. One thing that F2p needs is something that is repeatable and fun. After you do all the quests(which is easy, after 2 days of playing I finished all quests but d slayer on a level 10) there is nothing to do but fight with autoers to get exp and money. Some sort of minigame, perhaps similar to BA or PC, where f2pers can hone their skills for a few unique items. An easy solution to a long standing problem.