Runescape in 5 years?

Gin_and_Tonic

RuneScape will be like many other games, left to die. Jagex isn't a part of the game, corrupted Pmods are muting everyone that ticks'em off since there is no Jagex to control the reports. Lurers, scammers and drop traders will be filling the streets. No respectful persons will play again, of course there will be some good players, but they will be a minority.

ashmsig1uq.png

overseerlp5.png

R.I.P. Shiva and Steve

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RuneScape will be like many other games, left to die. Jagex isn't a part of the game, corrupted Pmods are muting everyone that ticks'em off since there is no Jagex to control the reports. Lurers, scammers and drop traders will be filling the streets. No respectful persons will play again, of course there will be some good players, but they will be a minority.

Ahmen.

I used to come into World99, hoping there would be some decantcy there, but there isn't anymore -.-...

Many-a-time have i been on-the-post quizzed about my items and my combat level, abused as im a 'noob', and had to sit listening to endless, pointless arguments, escalting from one person having more money than another... People need to realise its only virtual. :?

the dude with cw siggy and member of afflction you are a hippicreat here is why

sends message to jagex leave some of the bugs in that don't help\hert players like the POH bug with the throne room

next message

get rid of the [bleep]ing bug it sucks!!!

see my point thats why its dyeing

DoD:S ownage

what we have here is a ..um.. failur to communcate

check out my steam ID page @ alpha company

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't you realised how the good comunity of rs has all left? Most of my friends have already quited as there's almost no point in keeping playing, the updates are aimed to get more constumers, for a long time people didn't mind this because there was fun stuff to do, but its been a long time since getting a 99 made you special, I remember I was maxed out before PC came out, back then almost everyone i saw was green, now being 126 is a joke, everyone is. I agree with the people that think that mini games have in fact ruined the game making skills far too easy and with no merit what so ever.

This game has already died, the main idea of what it was created for has been completley changed, I still play rs as a past time but I think I only play cause of the people I've met here and to kill time.

sig4ej9.jpg

no tẻ̮̱̉o boca pa te xupar los cojones

Vold failed spanish class. I love Vold.

Here's what I think are the causes of all Runescape's problems:

1. Autos, scammers, lurers: Runescape is top-to-bottom, down to the bone capitalist. TOO capitalist. I think it's safe to say that .1% (one in one thousand) of the total players own 95% of the total wealth. Nobody considers sharing, helping out, etc...what's that point? If you accidentally died and lost something of value to you, what's the chance of the person who picks it up giving it back? I'd say one in a hundred. Money is all that matters to many, many people. So my first suggestion make more things worth getting than money.

2. Pest control: People use pest control to raise their combat stats at a ridiculously fast rate--this is because Runescape is too combat-based (and that is an understatement). I think the MAIN cause of this, above other things, is the fact that the easiest way to compare yourself to another player is the combat level. This, of course, is inaccurate. A simple solution to this would be to make level-comparisons based on total levels or something more accountable.

3. Highscore inflation: It's dangerous to have 55-60 strength and have it not ranked. My suggestion would be to make inactive players not show up in the high scores.

4. Underage players: Miniclip.

5. Low overall maturity ingame: I believe what separates Runescape from other games (I wouldn't dare call myself a gamer, it's pretty much only Runescape for me) is that it focuses on persistence, work ethic, and social skills and practices goal-setting. I've learned a lot from Runescape, I can honestly say I have. But because statistically players with low-maturity probably aren't very good with that kind of stuff, they do stupid things, such as calling accusing everyone who has had a lot of experience of having a low social status in real life (and if you believe this theory, you are extremely ignorant and narrow-minded).

All morons hate it when you call them a moron.

-Holden Caulfield, The Catcher in the Rye

joe%20potato.gif

bronzemnoob,Joe%20Potato.gif

jagex needs to grow a pair and stop answering to the whiny little breast feeding baby brats!!! they need to put more manpower into eliminating macros and gold sellers and they need to cater to high levels. all jagex has been doing lately is adding some padding so that the little babies don't get killed by the nasty cheating little cow.

sonerohi.gifimage,p0wn,orange,lblue.png

IMO, what Jagex is lacking is basically the act of being forward looking and failure to anticipate future problems. Planning ahead also seems fairly minimum. Most of the weekly updates seems to be rushed through probably to stall time and at least satisfy their policy of weekly updates. I don't know what they have up their sleeves, it's probably they are lacking time to address more serious game issues that are causing the decline of runescape.

This weekly update policy should stop already. We don't need all these [bleep]ing useless updates without much thought put into it. Instead they should actually sit down and start planning for runescape's future if they were to be still alive in a few years.

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

I don't think that Runescape will close in the next five years, but it will change to either become a better game than it is now, or a game designed with younger kids in mind. Already there's a lot of stuff in the game to prevent these kids from being scammed, sworn at, etc. Runescape claims to be designed for people who are 13+, but it's impossible to swear, and the most offensive word in the game is "noob."

Runescape Classic was fun because, even though the graphics weren't great, it was possible to die without being warned six or seven times.

newscape300x50qz7.gif

grammar2gr8dxhn9.png

"If you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything at all."

i think that in 5 years, runescape will have 5 billion accounts active, more than half of which would be macros. honest levelling will be a thing of the past and most of the players will be 126 because of pest control. everyone who claims to be a loyal player will still be playing after 6 years of threats. having a trimmed skillcape will mean nothing, as most players will macro to it. inflation will make oak logs 1k apiece and there will be no wearables left. everyone who plays will be even dumber than today or a robot.

by the reactions and theories, i'd be one of the only people here that still played...

Personally I don't see it dieing, I for one don't have any intention to quiting altogether any time soon. Perhaps jagex will perfect a system capable of stopping autoing. That alone would make a big difference.

sigraniiixx.gifEye-X.gif

blg.giff2p.giftfsn.gif

[spoiler=Stats:]Updated December 22, 2011:

Total level - 1442 - 170M+ XP , Combat level - 115

Combat skills: Attack - 90, Defence - 99 (24.45m+ XP), Strength - 90, Constitution - 99 (16.42M+ XP) Ranged - 99 (13.32M+ XP), Prayer - 60, Magic - 99 (13.25M+ XP)

Non-Combat skills: Cooking - 99 (13.80M+ XP), Woodcutting - 99 (31.95M+ XP), Fishing - 90, Firemaking - 99 (24.82M+), Crafting - 90, Smithing - 90, Mining - 85, Runecrafting - 60, Dungeoneering - 85

I think that in five year's time, Runescape will still be going good. After all, many players have predicted the fall of Runescape for many years now, even going as far as to say the developers are running out of ideas; yet in truth it is still going as strongly as ever, and is still growing well. Despite all the rants, people who rant only constitutes a very small part of the community: it only seems like there's a lot because they are the loudest, and contented players won't say anything. I seem to remember someone saying how sad Slayer is when it came out, and said that it proved Runescape is dying. How wrong he was.

What I think is not going to improve is like people said, the community. The maturity and politeness of the players in the game. Most likely, it is going to decay, like all other MMOGs out there. You add more people, and things get harder to control, and people seem to think that it is okay to do bad stuff in a huge community where no one can chase you down. However, bear in mind that people who actually do care about the community are also a minority, the idiots and immature morons won't care at all: they simply care about inflating their little ego balloons and (in their perspective) have fun.

So in conclusion: Runescape as a commercial game will go well, but Runescape as an ethical community will plummet. At least, that is what I see from the current trend.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

Runescape Classic was fun because, even though the graphics weren't great, it was possible to die without being warned six or seven times.

I concur, the only reason that we have so many warnings, are because of how much the community has declined in ethical values, moral values and the like. Runescape classic didn't have people that would think up ways to scam someone out of their items. At least I haven't heard that, now days, with people who do that sort of stuff, there are more warnings.

Most of the things that occur in-game are because of the way the community has devolved. If it hadn't, then we wouldn't have the ditch.

Runescape will still be a thriving MMORPG, except the fact that good people won't be playing it. Because they are driven out by the very people Jagex get payed by. The community is impossible to control now, even if Jagex were to warn players, it has already devolved into something ravenous. You'd probably find more love in a bad spot of town then in Runescape.

well, runescape will either be really good or really bad.

at it's current state though it is heading for the latter. But jagex needs to quickly fix the game, before the valuable players leave and the rulebreakers rule. Although jagex are doing at the moment is making the game worse. hunter is the most pointless skill ever! all these skills and quests are prolonging the judgement. A lifeboat in the middle of the sea of destruction. To try to save the living from drowning in boredom and vanishing. But the life boat will pucture and then you will sink until the next lifeboat arrives.

Of course if jagex SOMEHOW get the game together, no more shall depart and stay on land peacefully. Personally they are going to have something BIG to do that. I myself would be tempted back on to members if they introduced races and such.

So in conclusion: Runescape as a commercial game will go well, but Runescape as an ethical community will plummet. At least, that is what I see from the current trend.

you will be surprised about what that does to a game. Eventually all the good players will go because of the new childish behaviour. Bt like i said, it is possible that runescape will continue, however. It would take a miracle for teh decent community to stay. and eventually runescape will stop because of this indecent behaviour.

rants and spam would flood the forums. Taking away the very use of forums and all the users who only go on them, not the game. the polls may not be useful for the game. And as jagex bends to every whim of the scammers and hackers and bots, they will realise it is al over. THAT will be the end of RS.

you will be surprised about what that does to a game. Eventually all the good players will go because of the new childish behaviour. Bt like i said, it is possible that runescape will continue, however. It would take a miracle for teh decent community to stay. and eventually runescape will stop because of this indecent behaviour.

rants and spam would flood the forums. Taking away the very use of forums and all the users who only go on them, not the game. the polls may not be useful for the game. And as jagex bends to every whim of the scammers and hackers and bots, they will realise it is al over. THAT will be the end of RS.

You are forgetting one small thing. Decent players are not a majority. They could all leave and not one of the idiots would care that the community is horrible, and neither is it going to dent JAGeX's pocketbook overmuch.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

You are forgetting one small thing. Decent players are not a majority. They could all leave and not one of the idiots would care that the community is horrible, and neither is it going to dent JAGeX's pocketbook overmuch.

the idiots would get sick of each other eventually. if there was one decent player left:

chat screeen:

sheepboy636: bying addy plate

idiot01: armour noob!

idiot02: omg! addy nub!

sheepboy636: bying addy plate

idiot03: Cm n me peeps lets al partay!

idiot02: Omg! party nub!

idiot01: stop being an armour noob!

sheepboy 636: bying rune chainmail.

idiot02: omg! rune nub!

etc, etc.

Even the idiots would get bored of all this noob calling. Plus these idiots have short attention spans. They would get bored REALLY quickly. Half of them only got on because of miniclip. And those people are only on for a few weeks.

Yet as more game content comes in, more and more such players would also flood in. Even if they only have short attention spans, the fact that they keep coming in would probably compensate for the bored ones who keep going out. Besides, those who get bored and leave are likely to come back again when their interest had time to recharge. And on another note, you would be surprised how much idiocy an idiot can tolerate. They seem to enjoy others practising the craft on them as much as they like practising their craft on others.

~Toxicologist~

Yet as more game content comes in, more and more such players would also flood in. Even if they only have short attention spans, the fact that they keep coming in would probably compensate for the bored ones who keep going out. Besides, those who get bored and leave are likely to come back again when their interest had time to recharge. And on another note, you would be surprised how much idiocy an idiot can tolerate. They seem to enjoy others practising the craft on them as much as they like practising their craft on others.

But how do you know if those players will choose to be members? you don't. They'll start off as f2p, get bored, and never become a member. And trust me, any sensible person would NEVER come back to a game ruled by idiots.

Plus, they are idotic. They will forget completely about runescape and find some other website to go be an idiot on. Trust me, the end is coming.

problem.jpg

thats our problem the offensive idiots will drive evreyone away and the decent ones will quit because of scammers. i was mining when i went f2p and i heard someone say they were saving up to get there armour trimmed,i tried to explain and he called me a noob and walked off even though i was wearing trimmed rune. -.-

20 old men in one place? Sounds like an internet chat room! :D

...Anyone? Anyone?

demonsage20.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Well I think Jagex will shut down rs2 in like 2 years.. Because:

1 Too many players with accounts they don't even use.. Like a player who has 10 accounts and only uses 1.

2 Other games.. There are so many games who are more funny even trough you have to download a little file.. I mean I know games with sizes like 60 mb wich are great fun :mrgreen:

3 Little kids.. I know like 50 little kids who play rs.. Average age: 9 years old and like 5 months...

4 Macroers.. Yup they ruin the game for real players who don't HAVE to buy their gold via the internet.. They steal all your yew logs when you're wcing.. also they are just annoying to spot.. All lvl 3 with a head without hair..

Well I think this will be some of the main reasons

#4500 to 91 rc - 03-03-09

angel2w.gif

RS will continue as long as Jagex are making a decent profit. In order for them to do this, they must continue to draw in new players at the same rate old ones are leaving.

I believe some radical changes will occur in order to retain existing high levelled players. Those with maxed stats used to be a rarity, now a 126 is quite common. A 126 will quit RS if there are no further challanges ahead of him/her. The same goes for pures. A 99 str pure who has proved himself as a decent pker will look for other challanges. Excluding acces to 1 def pures will only cause these players to quit, so I see Jagex making new content avaliable to pures aswell.

5 years - I doubt it. 3 max imo

wow, that's ironic, a mod ranting about mods...

especially ironic that if you took the position after posting this

I think that jagex will take care of the macros and rs may still be around 5 years from now. If it is not I will feel really sorry about those players that are in the top 10 right now...they burned their eyes for nothing....they had it coming anyways....nothing lasts forever.

id like to think that runescape is immortal, but we all have to accept it, its not. i think that jagex will sell runescape to some buisness of some sort who will then ruin the game. this would obviously upset alot of people and all the players would quit. thats my theory :-w

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

rs will live on till the world is blown up. trust me on this one. everytime a 22 year old man is tired of playing runescape, there are 5, 10 year old kids taking his place. and as of macros, they will be around forever, and so will scammers. asking for rs staff to try and get rid of all these horrible people would be like trying to tell the UN to get rid of kim jon neal, (sorry bout spelling) and all minor thefs among the world. it is impossible!!!! people will always try and get what they want however they can.

farming - well yeah its useless