AFK, when is it bad?

haloffx

In the rules on the Runescape main page, this is what they had to say about AFK

What is AFK Training?

AFK training is Away From Keyboard training. While you are playing on RuneScape, you must be at the computer. Away from keyboard training is not allowed, and you should log out when you leave the computer.

At least once or twice have we all said to our friends "Brb" or "Afk" but haven't logged out because we know we'll be back before the auto-log off kicks in. For example, while you're fishing, chopping yews, etc. you decide to go get a drink, grab a snack, whatever and leave your computer with your account on...which is still training. Occasionally coming back to move the in-game camera so you wouldn't log off while you do something else. Is this a bannable offense?

As the rules said, we should log off when we leave our computer, but does it go to the point where it's only for a few seconds? What about if you want to keep your "spot" in a place, e.g world 2 or staying on a good team in Castle Wars?

Proud Fire Cape Owner March 9, 2007

Owner of 2/24 Capes of Achievement

Planet__X.png

newbankofrsyq0.gif

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, then throw it in their faces and ask for the oranges you originally asked for.

Here's how I interpret it:

Someone gives their character Guthans, sets them up at a monster spot, puts a heavy object on the keyboard to keep them from logging out, then goes to watch TV or something while their character trains away.

That's how I imagine the rule to be, but I've seen many people state otherwise. I just can't imagine that Jagex wouldn't let you get up to get a drink of water without logging out :-k

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Someone gives their character Guthans, sets them up at a monster spot, puts a heavy object on the keyboard to keep them from logging out, then goes to watch TV or something while their character trains away.

And then some player comes by and strikes up a conversation with you...no response...reported for macroing :XD:

Planet__X.png

newbankofrsyq0.gif

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade, then throw it in their faces and ask for the oranges you originally asked for.

It's better to play it safe and log out anyways. While you are up, you might get a random and die or something. I've seen it happen too much on these boards.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

get something a bit heavy, put it on your arrow keys and you'll never log off.

Just wear 3 items tho for your item safety.

~Defender~

the question wasn't how do you afk :?

It was, why is it bad?

~Defender~

the question wasn't how do you afk :?

It was, why is it bad?

And does it go the point where everyone wants to stay in world 2 while they have lunch or go to the loo...

Planet__X.png

newbankofrsyq0.gif

~Defender~

I trust you've done this before Defender :wink:

Planet__X.png

newbankofrsyq0.gif

~Defender~

I trust you've done this before Defender :wink:

Nonsense O:)

~Defender~

If you love me, send me a PM.

8 - Love me

2 - Hate me

I agree with Tripsis and a few others. If you set something on your keyboard to keep you from logging out whilst training, that is AFK training.

I will often make sure I am in a good spot, then jump up to grab my waterbottle, or a bag of chips.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

So does everyone think it's not an offense to AFK for a few minutes? :-k I'm still undecided...though I do from time to time :-w

Planet__X.png

newbankofrsyq0.gif

So does everyone think it's not an offense to AFK for a few minutes? :-k I'm still undecided...though I do from time to time :-w

TBH, Jagex can never find out if your AFK'ing so they pray random events will kill you to stop you. Otherwise, if they could figure it out in a snap, you would simpley be banned. ;)

~Defender~

If you love me, send me a PM.

8 - Love me

2 - Hate me

I would not think so at all. Since i have been choping yews alot lately i always get up to get some water, answer the door, grab a bite to eat etc...

I think the rules also do not apply to the following:

1) You are with a group of friends on a trip to the k queen or somthing. You all wait out side the entrance to the laier and say hold on brb.

2) You and you clan is at Castle wars and you are all in the portal. Obviously you are not going to log out and miss the entire game just to go answer the door #-o

But then again its all in a "gray" area so to speak.

prospektssigza4.jpg

I'm sure Jagex, how crazy they might be, would not ban for going to get a glass of water, or being AFK for a small amount of time. You get aprox. 60 seconds before being kicked out of the server when you're AFK, therefore, the rule would be not to try to stay online after those 60 seconds, if you're not doing anything, or if you're trying to train your character while your away. But even in those cases, AFK training would not be inefficient since agressive monsters get a cooldown period in which they are not agressive and you would get logged out. I'm not sure if bandits apply to that, do they have cooldown periods? Never noticed. In all cases, the rule seems to apply to serious cases, such as using a program to make all the work for you, or being outside of your house while your character trains, lol.

2480+ total

I always leave the computer or put something on the arrow keys to keep me logged in. The thing is....whats so wrong about it?

It's against the rules. That's what's wrong with it.

Here's what happens if you go AFK in the game. You may or may not know how long you have to go away. You go away, thinking that it'll only be a second, then your character has a swarm that comes up. Too bad that not even Guthan would save you from that since you can't hit random events with its special...

On top of that, some of us players kind of like to strike up a convo with someone that we're training with. Sorry if you had to go watch CSI or another show, but we'd really like to stay and chat. But then again, any AFKers that I usually find get reported.

You really should stop. I think this forum has some sort of policy against saying you break rules.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I'm sure Jagex, how crazy they might be, would not ban for going to get a glass of water, or being AFK for a small amount of time. You get aprox. 60 seconds before being kicked out of the server when you're AFK, therefore, the rule would be not to try to stay online after those 60 seconds, if you're not doing anything, or if you're trying to train your character while your away. But even in those cases, AFK training would not be inefficient since agressive monsters get a cooldown period in which they are not agressive and you would get logged out. I'm not sure if bandits apply to that, do they have cooldown periods? Never noticed. In all cases, the rule seems to apply to serious cases, such as using a program to make all the work for you, or being outside of your house while your character trains, lol.

the cooldown period might not matter. If you're afking and you get a random event it resets the cooldown period. So If you're doing absolutely nothing and get a random before the period, you reset the 15/20 min period and may get another random before it runs out.

any more posts on how to get around the afking, therefore cheating and breaking rules, this post will be locked.

keep it within rules please

Runescape nick : Fat_Slug

Owner of Ears, Scythe and a 10 year veteran cape :D

Would it also be AFKing if you site on a chair 2 meters away from the screen, practicing with your guiter, while you watch your character attacking agressive monsters?

IMHO there can't really be something wrong with it, but you are not for the 100% behind the keyboard.

So basically, where is the limit between AFKing and not AFKing?

ltjemightyro9.png

Retired.

Sounds fairly much like another Gray area.

I would say just don't do it. play safe.

I doubt jagex would ban anyone for being afk the once off, most users do it, like cw for example, nipping to the loo or answering the phone or like me , kids draw my attention urgent soemtimes and its impossible to log if im being attacked (darn annoying that one is).

But constant afking is not allowed at all , ie, like training, fishing etc etc.

If you playing a guitar lol then i would consider you to be afk! or doing homework for that matter lol. You are suppose to be in control of your keyboard and be there at all times playing the game.

There is no point at which i can say theres a line on it. Only thing i can suggest is if you really worried about afk mode, then simply ask Jagex direct.

Would it also be AFKing if you site on a chair 2 meters away from the screen, practicing with your guiter, while you watch your character attacking agressive monsters?

IMHO there can't really be something wrong with it, but you are not for the 100% behind the keyboard.

I do that constantly, im not afk cos i can see what im doing and im getting something else done at the same time!

I do that constantly, im not afk cos i can see what im doing and im getting something else done at the same time!

well, i use to do that if i'm fighting something that not needs 100 consentration (like kbd, barrows et cetera) fishing, wcing all such tasks, i can see every random event, answer if someone talks to me, and just continue with playing the guitar =)

Scherzo.png