How to make sure you can play RSHD! ALL PROBLEMS LOOK HERE.

Nadril

edit: IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH RSHD TRY THIS:

(1) Make sure you have the correct specs, using the guide below.

(2) Update drivers!

99% of the time your problem will be with drivers.

(3) Update Java!

If none of those work, and you just get lag or some other odd problems remember, RSHD IS IN BETA so that means that there will be problems. Just wait it out.

----------

Considering this question is bound to pop up again, I figured I'd make a quick little guide on how to figure it out yourself.

To play RuneScape's new detail level you will need:

* 1.5 GHz processor or higher

* 256MB of RAM or more

* 64MB 3D Graphics card, such as Nvidia® GeForce 3 or above

What we are going to do is make sure that you have this.

(1) Open the start menu and go to run, and type in DXDIAG

(2) You will be greeted by a window that looks like this:

dxzo8.png

The one underlined in blue is the CPU, and in red your RAM.

In general if the requirements say 1.5Ghz it would be wise to have at least a 2ghz-ish processor, or any dual-core processor would do. The RAM would probably be better off to have at least a Gig of it, considering how cheap. If you are running vista I would recommend 2GB.

(3) Now go to the Display tab (mine has 2 because I have 2 monitors)

dxvidbb2.png

Underlined in red is your primary concern. as this is what your graphics card is. In blue is how much memory your graphics card has (mine is 512Mb).

Now, for a game that requires 64Mb it would be best to probably at least have a 128Mb. The good news is that unless your PC is as old as jesus you should, hopefully, be set.

(4) If you are fine, than have fun and go ahead and play. However, if not, go to (5)

(5) So obviously one of your PC components is a problem, is there an easy way to fix it?

CPU: This is the most difficult of the 3 to replace. The good news, however, is that 1.5ghz CPU's are very rare now except in 6+ year old machines. The other good news is that the CPU may not cause as much of a problem as a lack of RAM would, so if you're close to it or a little under you can give it a shot anyways.

RAM: This is easy to fix. The best way is to get a gig stick, assuming you use DDR2 ram. THIS RAM is a great deal, $21 for a gig. If you don't want to order online you can always go to a local retailer (Best buy or such) and pick up ram there. Just make sure that it is 240-pin for most recent machines.

Video Card: Chances are if you failed this you have an intergrated video card. The first step is to determine if you have a PCI, AGP, or PCI-E slot open to put a new one in. The easiest way to find out is to go to powerleap.com and use their system scan, it will tell you what you have.

Picking a video card then is easy, this is what I'd suggest for a cheap card:

PCI - $38

AGP- $20

PCI-E - $20

Hopefully this will help those and reduce the need for all these extra threads. If you have any questions feel free to say so.

I like this little guide.

I would like to add to it a bit if I may.

Crucial also have a system scanner and they sell (and ship) to the US, UK and EU(link herehttp://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/).

The processor speed doesn't mean much at all.

If you have a Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, AMD X2, AMD X3 or AMD X4, then don't worry at all.

If you have a Pentium 4, Pentium D, Celeron, AMD Athlon (single core), AMD XP or AMD Sempron, then you need to check you meet the 1.5GHz requirement.

Note some Core 2 Duo's are clocked at 1.5GHz or less (only really the laptop ones)

I like the little list of graphics cards you have.

Heres some cheap one from the UK.

PCI-E - £31

PCI - £27

AGP - £37

PS. Laptop owners should note they can only change the ram as the cpu and gpu are generally soldered onto the motherboard.

Hope I helped,

Joe

[hide=For Macs]

For those who have a mac and don't know if their system is compatible here's how you check-

1) Go to your spotlight and type in System Profiler

picture1hp6.png

2) Once you see in your spotlight click it

3) The System Profiler should now be running and you should see this screen

picture2rn4.jpg

On that page you will see your processor speed and your memory (highlighted in the boxes)

make sure your processor speed is either 1.5GHz or better

and that your memory is either 256MB or better

4) Then lastly to check your graphics card click Graphics/Displays under Hardware in the Contents box

picture3ri6.jpg

What you want to check here is the name of your Chipset and your VRAM and make sure it meets the graphic requirement in which there is a very slim chance they won't meet.

[/hide]

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crucial also have a system scanner and they sell (and ship) to the US, UK and EU(link here).

If you have a Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, AMD X2, AMD X3 or AMD X4, then don't worry at all.

If you have a Pentium 4, Pentium D, Celeron, AMD Athlon (single core), AMD XP or AMD Sempron, then you need to check you meet the 1.5GHz requirement.

Note some Core 2 Duo's are clocked at 1.5GHz or less (only really the laptop ones)

PCI-E - £31

PCI - £27

AGP - £37

PS. Laptop owners should note they can only change the ram as the cpu and gpu are generally soldered onto the motherboard.

Hope I helped,

Joe

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Crucial also have a system scanner and they sell (and ship) to the US, UK and EU(link herehttp://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/).

PCI-E - £31

PCI - £27

AGP - £37

Hope I helped,

Joe

Nice, I'll add it to the OP.

Nice job writing this guide, Nadril :thumbsup: ... Looks like we will only be helping the 'computer illiterates' with these questions now. 8-)

~Mr. D. V. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

For those who have a mac and don't know if their system is compatible here's how you check-

1) Go to your spotlight and type in System Profiler

picture1hp6.png

2) Once you see in your spotlight click it

3) The System Profiler should now be running and you should see this screen

picture2rn4.jpg

On that page you will see your processor speed and your memory (highlighted in the boxes)

make sure your processor speed is either 1.5GHz or better

and that your memory is either 256MB or better

4) Then lastly to check your graphics card click Graphics/Displays under Hardware in the Contents box

picture3ri6.jpg

What you want to check here is the name of your Chipset and your VRAM and make sure it meets the graphic requirement in which there is a very slim chance they won't meet.

tFtfA.jpg

Theres no run button on Vista :!:

If memory serves, it is "Start > Search"??? Or maybe turn on the hidden Run command??? :-s

~D. V. Devnull

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

<<<Quote Snip>>>

Start > all programs > accessories > run

That's ... (for lack of a better word) ... convoluted. Couldn't MicroSoft think of better when they did that? :(

~D. V. Devnull

<<<Quote Snip>>>

Start > all programs > accessories > run

That's ... (for lack of a better word) ... convoluted. Couldn't MicroSoft think of better when they did that? :(

~D. V. Devnull

You're talking about the same company that had 43 (yes, 43) people working on the shutdown button and the code that ran it. Of course it's convoluted.

It does make a bit of logical sense since the command prompt isn't a mainstream app though.

<<<Quote Snip>>>

You're talking about the same company that had 43 (yes, 43) people working on the shutdown button and the code that ran it. Of course it's convoluted.

It does make a bit of logical sense since the command prompt isn't a mainstream app though.

Thank you for the blog post full of helpful info on the insides of Microsoft. I've read the whole article, and had a very healthy laugh over it. I think we can agree that the article is awesome proof of there being incompetence in the leading ranks at Microsoft. Any large body (in this case, MicroSoft) whose left foot (we shall call this some branch and/or group) doesn't know what its' right arm (we shall call this some other branch and/or group) is really doing is doomed to epic fail. LOL :lol:

BTW, in my opinion, the Command Prompt is just about as non-mainstream as PC games. TBH, I think it probably would have gone more appropriately in a "System Tools" area that wasn't buried in "Accessories". :-k

~D. V. Devnull

You can get to the run window on Windows 2000, XP and Vista simply by pressing Windows Key + R.

In Vista the search was designed (shamefully) to combine the run and the search functions. Talk about trying to simplify something which didn't need to be simplified.

Personally I use the command prompt a fair bit mainly for pinging PC's and servers, and deleting protected folders/files. Gotta love those psexec functions in command prompt, saves so much time.

Anyway if anyone running Windows can't find the Run Window, press Windows key and R.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Might also help if you upgrade your graphics drivers too, it can help increase frame-rate slightly and reduce lag. If you visit the website of your graphics card manufacturer, they should offer the latest drivers available for download. Here's a list of the most common manufacturers; if yours isn't listed here then a google search should find it.

ATI - http://ati.amd.com/

NVIDIA - http://www.nvidia.com/

Matrox - http://www.matrox.com/

Intel - http://www.intel.com/

VIA - http://www.viaarena.com/

Great guide, should really be stickied :)

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

*Bump back to page 1*

This should really be stickied, or put in AOW.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

AOW

Not just AOW... Have a link to it from a Sticky in T&C also! :thumbsup:

~D. V. Devnull

Nice guide, actually much better than the one I had made on a french forum like a month ago for them to know how to get specs for help with computers :lol:

Hopes this one helps a lot of people also :).

@ New people reading this thread having problems with RS HD* :

It's a release so chances are it's going to be buggy, or at least the server is going to be in the [cabbage]ter. Please wait a few days at least before you start spamming threads about problems.

*I find it kind of funny that it's now "high def". Hehe.

@ New people reading this thread having problems with RS HD* :

It's a release so chances are it's going to be buggy, or at least the server is going to be in the [cabbage]. Please wait a few days at least before you start spamming threads about problems.

*I find it kind of funny that it's now "high def". Hehe.

Yep, atm it's buggy.

The servers are horrible, random lag (got 8600gt so no gpu problem), and i got 800kb/s connection lol.

They really should have waited a few days.

Plus (again atm) alot of servers are offline lol.

It's a really neat guide Nadril, it should be stickied!

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Might also help if you upgrade your graphics drivers too, it can help increase frame-rate slightly and reduce lag. If you visit the website of your graphics card manufacturer, they should offer the latest drivers available for download. Here's a list of the most common manufacturers; if yours isn't listed here then a google search should find it.

ATI - http://ati.amd.com/

NVIDIA - http://www.nvidia.com/

Matrox - http://www.matrox.com/

Intel - http://www.intel.com/

VIA - http://www.viaarena.com/

Great guide, should really be stickied :)

And how would I go about installing drivers for an ATI mobility radeon X1900? All I get when I choose that is some Catalyst weirdo thing that I installed, but it doesn't do anything from what I can see.