Everyone has their price

Kashi

Or so the saying goes. So the real question is, what would you or wouldn't you do for money?

I'll present you with a few scenarios, and let's see just what people are willing to do for

the right price.

Scenario 1:

You are a well known scientists in the field of weapons research. A terrorist organization

comes to you and offers a large sum of money for you to develop a sort of bomb for them.

There is no threat of the organization that you work for finding out, and if you refuse, none of

your family members or friends will be harmed. If you choose to build a bomb for the terrorists,

you will be responsible for the deaths of precisely 1,000 people, all strangers. The bomb is

made with a special chemical that only affects organic life forms. Once it goes off, there is no

radiation left over, and the place where it is dropped isn't damaged at all. Everything stays exactly

as it is, except for 1,000 people die. On top of that, they get a quick, painless, almost instantaneous

death. No matter what you do, nobody you know will be harmed at all. So, how much money

would you have to be offered to accept?

I should mention, that although the organization you work for is quite wealthy, you yourself live

in a small apartment with your spouse and 2 children. You're not hurting for money, necessarily,

(nobody is threatening to break your legs at least) and your kids aren't starving or anything, but

there's definitely room for moving up in the world.

Answer between $1 million and $25 million, or if you wouldn't do it for any amount of money, just type

"No way noob!"

Let me be a little more specific.

uhhh if i were building a nuclear bomb why would i sell it to freaking terrorists?

It's not a nuclear bomb at all. ::' Just a regular old bomb. I know some people say it

doesn't make a difference, but with nuclear bombs you get residual radiation and whatnot,

which would actually harm more people for years to come.

Back to the point: anything involving the suffering of innocent people for my own personal gain = out of the question.

Actually, innocent people aren't suffering at all. :)

For one, there's no such thing as an innocent person, I've said that before. For two, they

wont suffer at all. In fact their death will be quite painless. :)

My greatest ambition is to kill every member of the human race.

crackersapparentlyiu8.png

However I am a realist and therefore know that I probably wont be able to.

idiotacyoa5.png

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"No way noob!"

Who am I to accept money and let one thousand innocent people be hurt?

I'm sitting here, I'm 15. I'm in my boxers. My hair is long and not brushed. I'm no one to make a decision like that. And yes, I'm assuming your scenario + my description of me go together.

In other words, I'm a half naked scientist, aged 15, with a wife and two kids in an apartment. ;D ... That was kinda irrelivant.

Back to the point: anything involving the suffering of innocent people for my own personal gain = out of the question.

thesip2.jpg

It really has

Assuming I don't have to pay for the building/materials of the bomb, i'd ask for atleast...

17.5 Million.

Yep, seems like a good enough sum of money.

Though is this a trick question?

if you refuse, none of

your family members or friends will be harmed. If you choose to build a bomb for the terrorists,

you will be responsible for the deaths of precisely 1,000 people

According to your scenario, I'm safer if I refuse.

1z2zrwo.jpg

1,000 people aye? I'd take the 25mil; if that's the upper limit, I'll take all I can get out of them. No point ripping yourself off if the number of casualties is going to be the same.

1,000 people aye? I'd take the 25mil; if that's the upper limit, I'll take all I can get out of them. No point ripping yourself off if the number of casualties is going to be the same.

I was hoping people like you would post. <3:

I was afraid everyone would take the high road and say, "Oh not me! I'm a perfect little angel!"

Anyway, I changed the first post to clarify a little bit. No matter your decision, you and

your family/friends wont be hurt. The 1,000 people will all be total strangers.

idiotacyoa5.png

I wouldn't do it for any sum of money. Not only do I not want to kill thousands of people, but I'm not a fan of money, so to speak. I don't want a big fancy house, car, clothes, blah blah. I'm content just the way I am :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I wouldn't do it for any sum of money. Not only do I not want to kill thousands of people, but I'm not a fan of money, so to speak. I don't want a big fancy house, car, clothes, blah blah. I'm content just the way I am :P
Weak - it's an easy 25mil - and the number of people killed will be born in a few minutes / hours thanks to countries like india ;)

I would take the money off the terrorists in cash, then hide it, then meet with the terrorists in a location whilst telling the MI5 O:)

So in the End I'll have money in cash,

The terrorists will be in jail

Peace.

A friend to all is a friend to none.

Actually, innocent people aren't suffering at all. :)

For one, there's no such thing as an innocent person, I've said that before. For two, they

wont suffer at all. In fact their death will be quite painless. :)

The innocent person thing is debatable, but I won't argue it.

What if they have family somewhere? Or what if the area bombed is rich in certain raw materials, which in turn affects families who work with related industries? Someone will suffer in the end.

thesip2.jpg

It really has

Put a remote detonator on it. Take the money and then blow it up in the terrorists faces.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

No matter your decision, you and

your family/friends wont be hurt.

If my family are safe, you can stick the money up your arse.

This doesn't make me an 'angel' in the slightest, I'd blow up half the world without thinking twice with no cash offer involved if it meant I kept my family alive.

I care about my loved ones more than I could ever care about the worldÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s problems or dollar figures.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

The innocent person thing is debatable, but I won't argue it.

What if they have family somewhere? Or what if the area bombed is rich in certain raw materials, which in turn affects families who work with related industries? Someone will suffer in the end.

Okay, in an infinite universe, with infinite possibilities, you're probably right. Somebody would be

affected in the end. However, in the universe I've created with this scenario, everything in the

world stays exactly the same, except for these people die and you're a certain amount of money

richer. What I want to know is, how much money would it take for you to cooperate with the terrorists?

Or like I said, if you can't be bought, just say so.

idiotacyoa5.png

I would decline, whats stopping them from dropping the bomb on YOU? They would simply say they will pay you after you make it, then they kill you! #-o :wall:

Cube_by_Abfc.gif

untihf5.jpg

69827172ou0.jpg

When you mentioned the Dragon Plates I had a sudden vision of a load of gangsters running around in fancy dress yealling "Grim Reaper in da hood!"

A few variables to consider:

Where will the bomb be detonated? It would be an even harder decision if it were dropped in, say, a rural community in Africa, where they need all the hands they can get just to squeeze food out of the land. More people will suffer for those 1,000 people, even if they can more easily replace them. If it was in the middle of a city, 1,000 people killed at random will statistically not affect things too much: the service industry might slow down for a couple of days, but the unemployment rates will take care of the losses. Conversely, if it were dropped on, say, a hospital for the terminally ill, then go for it.

Will I be held accountable? The organisation I work for may not find out, but there is nothing in the scenario that says other organisations won't find out. When the media gets wind of any leads on something like this, it will be a Bad Thing.

Will these deaths affect me indirectly (aside from possible emotional strain)? Six degrees of separation come into play here.

How will the funds be transfered? Will it be taxable? Where will it come from? Will it be in cash? Obviously, if it is in cash form, it could bump the economy slightly. An inflow of $25m may not be that much in the grand scheme of things, but remember that this is potentially coming out of nowhere: essentially, the government printing off $25m without taking any existing money out of circulation.

Otherwise, yeah, if I do decide to accept, I'll try to get as much money as possible for it. If I had no choice in the matter, I wouldn't want to get less money than the most they will pay, if I was going to potentially harm children. Of course, since I do have a choice in the matter, I probably wouldn't do it.

I think I'd do it for... 5 million in used notes. Yup. That sounds good. And a front row seat to watch the explosion...

Is there any explosion? Because if there isn't, I want 10 million.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Weak - it's an easy 25mil - and the number of people killed will be born in a few minutes / hours thanks to countries like india ;)

Tip.its new mass killer! :P

Um I'd ask to get in contact with Osama and do a deal with him. Then I'd know his whereabouts and create a set-up pretending to do a deal with him in the backstreets of Pakistan. I'd then tell the US Government of his whereabouts and get the $50 million reward after they catch him through my set-up. I So I double my money, nobody gets killed and I FIGHT EVIL!

I win! ::'

1000 is hardly a mass killing compared to what you could take out.

How disappointing...what a crappy bomb! :P

10m+...I really have not much experience with terrorists coming up to me and asking me to build a bomp for them which will be responsible for the death of 1000 strangers really.

Doomy edit: I like sheep