Prototypes

Omali

What I love about Runescape is that, when big updates are far away on the horizon, you can bet that Jagex is implementing prototypes of that system to make sure that the full version will work when it's released.

I remember a few prototypes, but I want other people to add in some that they remember:

-Tower of Life: A prototype to Summoning, obviously.

-Tower of Life: A prototype to a new item managing system, that would make the items tied to itself instead of the account, allowing for more advanced degradation as well as dynamic stats based on different algorithms, but the items couldn't stack in the bank (Hence the satchels). There's been no mention of this plan since.

-Bob the Cat: NPCs that can walk anywhere (Thanks: Bobbington)

-Christmas event: Prototype for summoning creatures fightin (Thanks Naruto)

Can anyone remember any others?

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

What I love about Runescape is that, when big updates are far away on the horizon, you can bet Jagex is implementing prototypes of that system to make sure that the full version will work when it's released.

I think Jagex is the only company to ever do this. Seriously.

:ohnoes:

Alpha_Koldes.png

-

Man, I really do love Runescape, and I'm sure if it was a real person I would of asked it to marry me by now.

Explain the second one again? That flew over my head and is half way to never-never land now.

In the quest that tower place, you use items to 'create' creatures. sortha like summoning? but DIDN'T hear it from me!

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

Nobody could really explain what the point of the satchels was when Tower of Life came out. A Jmod explained on the forums that they were a way to test a new system that was in development.

Right now, certain items are tied to your account (Barrows armor degradation). This is the reason you can't trade barrows armor unless it's completely fixed or completely broken, because the differences in between are too vast to put hundreds of different versions of the ahrims staff, for example.

With this new system, they would be able to do things such as allow a dragon scimitar to get stronger the more it is used, or possibly melee becoming consumables by having all melee stuff degrade. Or, as I've said, allow you to trade barrows armor at any degradation point.

As of the testing, it was impossible under the new system for these items to stack. This meant that the only items feasible to put under this system would be items that people don't have more than one of in the bank at any time.

The Jmod (working on the project) agreed, when asked, that the current form of the system was a horrible failure and would go back for extensive testing and possibly to await further engine upgrades.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Explain the second one again? That flew over my head and is half way to never-never land now.

In the quest that tower place, you use items to 'create' creatures. sortha like summoning? but DIDN'T hear it from me!

he was refering to the satchels that did not stack in your bank

What I love about Runescape is that, when big updates are far away on the horizon, you can bet Jagex is implementing prototypes of that system to make sure that the full version will work when it's released.

Yup... WE'RE the Beta Testers... Anyone remember the Day O' Construction Based Doom?
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Doesnt anyone see last years Christmas event was a big test? You battled with your snowman against the other snowmans, you healed your snowman with snowballs and others could do the same. Kinda like the concept of Summoning right? you let your summon kill others summons and when it almost dies you heal it to prefent that.

Doesnt anyone see last years Christmas event was a big test? You battled with your snowman against the other snowmans, you healed your snowman with snowballs and others could do the same. Kinda like the concept of Summoning right? you let your summon kill others summons and when it almost dies you heal it to prefent that.

shame i missed the event then :(

sounds like summoning to me anyway

stupid forums lost my dragon count , well atleast i know i got a d chain from a dusty!

99 Fletch, Late 06

99 Mage, late 07

99 Strength, 29th June 08

99 Hitpoints, 21st August 08

130/138 cmb

sooo close

your right... i never thought of that...

newbankofrsyq0.gif

bannerbancocopiadj3.jpgfixfriendsol7.gif

your right... i never thought of that...

you sir are a genius.

I hope we can summon snowmen! :XD:

sig2-1.jpg

Kiss me, i'm part Irish!

The "new engine feature" used for those satchels could be quite handy. The problem is that the things don't stack in banks, but there are any number of items in the game where you can only get one copy of the item at a time. Quest items tend to be like that. If Jagex started creating quest items that used that feature, we'd probably never notice because we wouldn't have multiple copies of them in our banks.

I'd hope for Summoning to be a bit more interesting than simply spawning monsters for me to kill.

I'm gonna try to explain that second one a little more, in layman's terms. I'll use the example of two backpacks.

Under the first system, we have two backpacks. You bought both of these from Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart only sells bags when they're empty; you can't put in all your pencils, notebooks, calculator, paper, etc. in it and buy it! But for the sake of the example, we'll say that they also sell a "back-to-school" backpack, with a bunch of school related supplies in it.

Now, once you put your stuff in the backpack, you can't take it back to Wal-Mart and expect them to refund you! You'd have to take all your stuff out before you could return it. And for the back-to-school bundle, you'd have to return it to its original state first before you could return it.

That was the first system, now lets look at the new, improved system.

Wal-Mart sells two types of bags. One empty, the other with a back-to-school bundle of supplies in it. You can buy either one and add or take whatever you want from it, bring it back, and return it for a price based on what's in it. It doesn't have to be completely empty or in its original state.

Wal-Mart 1: Have to buy/sell in completely empty or completely full increments. (Current item system in RS)

Wal-Mart 2.0: Can buy/sell at any increment. (New item system in RS)

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

Nobody could really explain what the point of the satchels was when Tower of Life came out. A Jmod explained on the forums that they were a way to test a new system that was in development.

Right now, certain items are tied to your account (Barrows armor degradation). This is the reason you can't trade barrows armor unless it's completely fixed or completely broken, because the differences in between are too vast to put hundreds of different versions of the ahrims staff, for example.

With this new system, they would be able to do things such as allow a dragon scimitar to get stronger the more it is used, or possibly melee becoming consumables by having all melee stuff degrade. Or, as I've said, allow you to trade barrows armor at any degradation point.

As of the testing, it was impossible under the new system for these items to stack. This meant that the only items feasible to put under this system would be items that people don't have more than one of in the bank at any time.

The Jmod (working on the project) agreed, when asked, that the current form of the system was a horrible failure and would go back for extensive testing and possibly to await further engine upgrades.

did I miss something? is Jagex going to make (certain) weapons stronger or have a degrading thing on it? or are you just mentioning this because of barrows?

Fighterman_X.png

ArenaNet and Guild Wars. Kthx

They finally got it right.

did I miss something? is Jagex going to make (certain) weapons stronger or have a degrading thing on it? or are you just mentioning this because of barrows?

Note that he said possible.

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

To explain the satchels again....

In the current old system say a bronze long sword is:

"Item ID:0001203" (probably not true)

You bank space would save data in two locations.... first it would recognize what item you where storing, and in the second location it would tell your bank how many of the item you had.... so if you had 3 long swords, the server might be telling you that.

Item ID:0001203 - Quantity: 3

However with the coding used on Item satchels, rather than telling you bank how many items you had of that item code, it would record what that item contained meaning you could have one item of many many different combinations, rather than 1000's of combinations for the same items.

But we have already seen this ingame..... inform of the Dragonfire shield where the item records how many of charges an item has on it.

Jagex are doing small tests all the time, and I also thought the same about the xmas event as it was the first time we had ever seen coding like that (I think)

Probably the earliest bit of code testing I can remember hearing about is bob the cat, who was a test of a code that allowed an NPC to walk anywhere without being constrained to a small target area, this probably is being applied in summoning, and I believe for the wilderness reverants.

sig2webzx7.jpg

So what was so special about these pouches you got at the tower of light? That's one of the few things in this game i never bothered to try out

The Satchels could have some tea inside, and there were some sort of luchboxes which could hold a banana, a sandwich and some other thing aswell. They were never used much because you ca't stack them in the bank.

EDIT: wrong quote

Dragonfire shield anyone? I recognized the satchels the moment I read the update! That was what they were "planning"! (Maybe some other things aswell, but I haven't recognized more)

Rebor%20Monst.png

Rebor_Monst.png

rebor_monst.png

I actually suspect if they ever get round to making Mournings end part 3 (nearly 2 and a half years now) and if with that they release the crystal halibard that the satchel coding will be applied onto them, rather that the current abusable system that allows people to switch weapons at certain times.

Infact I am surprised at the time tower of life came out they did not update both crystal and barrows.

sig2webzx7.jpg

Infact I am surprised at the time tower of life came out they did not update both crystal and barrows.

Probably because it was just a test of the system, and as admitted, the test was a partial failure (nonstacking being one, can't remember the other(s))

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Does anyone know what hppens to a dragon fire shield's charges when it'straded? I've been wodering about that...

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20