Tip.It Times: 3 May 2009

n_odie

The First article was interesting, (it's nice to hear from a player around my level that thinks like me), but I found that the second article was too scientific, with several terms that the average person may not understand.

My two cents.

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

I enjoyed the first one, second one was interesting but failed to take into account the people who simply don't have the levels for rune xbow or braod bolts.

9th paragraph of article one has a typo.

Dungeon maps will be a huge help to hew players, and the you are here is extremely important to new players.

Join Future Update News! The longest running update speculation thread on the RSOF, currently on its 24 Edition

QFC 16-17-671-59680498

314v28z.jpg

Thanks to Killerwat for the sig!

The first article was great and really pinpointed some good ideas.

The second one had good scientific results but some were confusing even for me to understand, overall a good study article anyways.

The first article was great and really pinpointed some good ideas.

The second one had good scientific results but some were confusing even for me to understand, overall a good study article anyways.

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Agreed

blue_pika515.png

74.png

Having taken a few courses in statistics, I didn't really find the second article to be all that complicated; in fact, I found that the writer did a pretty good job of explaining what all the numbers meant. (I.E., that his study proved with 95% confidence that there IS a statistically significant difference between the two bows).

Both were a nice read! \'

rho421.png

One of the better times. I think you do better with fewer articles.

The second article was confusing, though, I agree. I read through it until the charts, then I was like, "What?" All I saw was the mass of µ's.

I kinda missed a fictional article too. I enjoy those usually.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

The second article was confusing, though, I agree. I read through it until the charts, then I was like, "What?" All I saw was the mass of µ's.

µ=greek letter "mu" = the mean (average).

rho421.png

µ=greek letter "mu" = the mean (average).

Ah, ok. I wouldn't have known that µ had a mathematic meaning. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

Right now lots of our writers are busy with finals and such. There should be one next week. :)

nodiehytnew.png
RIP Michaelangelopolous
Thanks to cowboy14 for the pimp sig!

Both very good reads. Particularly liked the 1st one. ;)

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Hey, this is my first post as a Tip.It member, so im excited.

anyway, i read the articles every chance i get. i wish they would bring back fictional articles, they my favorite.

first article was pretty good, second was okay until it got to the graphs (shudder) :?:

anyway, good job!

Greecl: agreed, mister Eskimo steroid wrestler black guy thingy.

Lite191: =] lol

Greecl: this is going on my siggy on tippit.

lite191: actually im a ninja Eskimo wrestler on steroids with a godsword… on fire.

Greecl: eating a Klondike bar. =p

lite191: yes but it melted=[

Greecl: aw…wish you weren’t on fire now, huh?

lite191 :no.

lite191: Still freaking awesome.me

Greecl: or as Greecl would say… Frosted flakes are better!!!

lite191: agreed.

The first article was awsome.

I remember several years ago when I was a level 3...

Someone gave me a free bronze mace and med helm. I was pumped.

Of course, I died and lost them, but they were appreciated!

I try to help out now that I'm higher level..Not 100+ but higher :|

Every Christmas I go to a F2P world, dress up like Santa, and give coal to all the level 3's.

No one would let me rent a Santa Hat for the occasion!

Perfect example of 100+ not helping 87!

cowpantsresized.png

excellent read! it raised some great points. i remember the good old days of mining iron ore for money. being angry at a player who had 50+ mining stealing my rocks! :roll: the one point not raised though is that motivation. i would consider myself a fairly well ranked player at 113 combat. not to high but not to low. i am however etremely poor. i dont enjoy grinding for hours to get a few mil. but having all these players standing around the ge in full bandos and dfs actually gives me some motivation. i look up to them and hope that someday with some work and luck i will be able to join them as being able to afford some of the top gear. and kill the top monster. :mrgreen:

Nice read on the first article, Jagex made some minor improvements that made a lot of things less complicated.

Did the second article factor in the increased speed of the Zanik bow compared to Rune Xbow? The super cheap cost of bone bolts + increased speed could possibly push Zanik bow over the Rune Xbow with Broad option. Mithril bolts shouldn't have even been compared as they are honestly obsolete.

120dgl.jpg

So we needed to do a study to figure out theres a difference between a lvl 48 bow with bone bolts and a lvl 61 bow with bolts that take 55 slayer? I could of told you that...

And it's kinda stupid to have a damage study for a thing on training with them. Most people train for cost, not damage, or else everyone would use onyx bolts.

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.

If you try to fail, and then succeed, what have you done?

If someone who draws is an artist, and someone who plays piano is a pianist, what do you call someone who races?

There is a reason why the authors of that paper (yes paper seeing it's an academic paper ;) ) stated that "If you are interested solely in the outcome of our study, please see the conclusion section at the end of our article."

When I do research assignments for my uni i look at the abstract, intro, **maybe** the discussion & conclusion.

The complicated bits are for fellow researchers wheres the easy bits are for the rest of us :)

addymthiefcape,j%20maximvs.gif

j%20maximvs.gif

j%20maximvs.gif

Finally, my statistics class has a real life use! It's great see that there's a growing interest towards applying rigorious methologies to RuneScape. We have been gathering data on RS for nearly a decade, and it's ripe for more analysis like this to shed on the likes of this. I hope for more similar activities in the future (in drop rates, damage rate, etc).

Regarding the first article: I thought it has a good thesis, from the point of view that differs from allot of what has been said about the forums. However, it is really hurt by the lack of editing when it comes to grammar and spelling. The article could really be fleshed out better. Much of the article is rather scattered, so even though it has many good ideas, few of them are elaborated upon.

All I learned in life, I learned on Tip.it