Tip.It Times Presents: English: Its Proper Form

oddfaery2

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! :D

English: Its Proper Form

Zonorhc

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬Åomg liek i dont nede 2 typ proprly cus dis is da internet !!!! go away nerd looser !!!ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

tipitcrewex8.jpg

Proud to have gotten 1800 skill total before access to fishing guild

Why make a house when you can rob one?

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen. I never understood why people don't take the extra couple seconds to make thier statements the least bit readable.

Another great article :) Keep up the good work.....

OoC Overseer

137jq9.gif Eet mor kabbig! 137jq9.gif

nicely said again, can't imagine how I was ever able to live without tip.it times, ty guys, good job!

On to the next point: your typing style is a habit. Unless you take steps to fix it, youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re going to be typing like that for a while. I can tell you now that that is a bad thing. IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ve known and seen people with IQs reaching into the low 130s handing in major assignments with horrible grammar and several counts of the crime that is shorthand. These are people whom I know to be intelligent human beings, but had I been an outside observer with no personal knowledge of those individuals, I would have chalked them up as Class B semi-morons. Why do they type poorly? Simple. Because itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s a habit that they havenÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t bothered to rid themselves of.

I can second that

10y3vig.png

proudtitan.png

Yes it is quite sad, there are some people I know who have worse grammar than someone in the first grade thanks to runescape. However I do think that the occasional "u" or "i" won't hurt people.

- The Yellow and Black Attack -

i don't care how people type or what grammar they use... as long as i can read it who cares?

[OFF-TOPIC]

you shouldn't use "justify" as your text alignment for tip.it times because it look ugly in my opinion and i even had to stop about 1/4th of the way thought because i couldn't stand it.

please consider aligning "left" or "right"

[/OFF-TOPIC]

Thanks, people. I enjoyed writing it very much.

I did notice some edits, but they weren't very major. Probably to make it more community-friendly. :P The unedited version is on my deviantART page, linked in my sig.

That was great, nice job. :)

It's just unfortunate that a lot of the people who need to read this the most probably skimmed the first paragraph and stopped reading, while the people who already know all of this read the whole thing I'm guessing. But any education on using proper english is great. Thanks for writing that.

i read the article every week and never really respond, but this week i felt compelled to. i am not an english major nor am i even close to being the worlds best speller, in fact i'm horrible. i do feel sometimes that i need some sort of secret decoder ring to read some of the things i hear in banks. i think your article was spot on and i applaud you for it, it is well written, and i enjoyed reading it.

I totally agree with this, but I can say it doesn't mean you are not "hip" if you don't talk in what they call 1337 or shorten words it is just the lazyness of us teens now-a-days (I'm 14). I mean round where I live it is all "innit" and "wickid" but it doesn't mean we shorten our words while when we are writing in english or any subject. I am actually doing pretty well on for a level 7, but my point is it is just the way people are brought up and how lazy they are it is not down to coolness but lazyness.

I would just like to say that it probably doesn't make typing faster if you use short hand because a qwerty keyboard is set up so that keys often used after each other are near each other, and therefore speeding up typing. When people use short hand the keys are not in their optimum position because the words are not real words, and therefore it actually takes longer.

eddmitch89.gif

i agree but honestly i find using shift annoying... which is why i never capitalize my i's... anyway the occasional lol or something liek that wont hurt people and a polite translation if someone doesnt get it doesnt hurt anyone.

EDIT: does anyone else think spelling "like" impossible? honestly i can never type that correctly...

maxsig28nv.gif

Another great article from Tip.it Times.

Poor spelling and shorthand writting are the main reason I hate to merchant.

When you can't understand the offer of someone, it shows there's a lack in the ways of communication.

I Kinda miss the did you know part though... I know the thread was starting to get off-road, but it was still enlightening for a lvl 116 noob like me.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563