Tip.It Times Presents: Runescape: Under The Covers

Kiara_Kat

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! :D

Runescape: Under The Covers

The Editor

"The best-laid plans of mice and men gang oft a-gleeÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ"

Or so said the poet Robert Burns. And he was right, even though he wasnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t specifically talking about programming. It doesnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t matter what language youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re using, what youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re writing a program to do, what machine youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re running it on. If your program...

Click here to read the rest of this article.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woot 3rd post. \'

Was this tip.it times

a) Awesome

B) Informative

c) Agreeable

d) All of the above

D---- This was a pretty good tip.it times. Longer than previous ones. But not better than the 2 interviews with zezima and novalyfe!

Currently:whacking noobs with rubber chicken

F2p and 52 prayer :-P

^^^^ Awesome Video ^^^^

that was a preety good read. keep it up editor man :P

signature your as this use backwards this read to enough smart were you if

^^^^read backwards^^^^

anish00b.png

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=757562&p=6009903

^^^^The Best Melee Training Spot In The Game^^^^

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=786213

^^^^The new Bandits^^^^

even i have the misfile craze!!!

I know what he means about testing. I'm into programming in certain games (remaining undisclosed which ones, But if you find a guy named Shinyblade in em say hi. lol) I know all about testing and it infinite bugs. No matter what anyone does, there will always be bugs, and there will always be abusers of those bugs. Its a never ending cycle, and thats why version numbers are high in most games. The key is though, to find the biggest bugs, crashes, unit bugs, and many other things that make things impossible to do. But realize this about Jagex. They are human. Don't get mad about mistakes, you would do no better. I'm sorry if you lost your p hat or millions of gold, but I saw the videos of the Massacre. You people werent running to banks or logging out asap. You were running in a crowd like a flock, hoping you won't die. Sorry if this wasn't you, but for people like that, it's your fault you died. Don't run in groups when someones killing someone in the group. And if you were in a group of people, don't complain about how they found you, killed you, and you lost stuff.

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.

If you try to fail, and then succeed, what have you done?

If someone who draws is an artist, and someone who plays piano is a pianist, what do you call someone who races?

Good article. I know what the author talking about when you say their are infinite bugs, my friend makes a few games for his website that are pretty simple, so their arn't many bugs, but their are some that we (everyone that tests his games for him) don't find. It sheds some light onto the people who have no clue what you have to do to get rid of bugs, and may get rid of a few rants (probably not, but who knows....) :D .

Also since my dad works at Microsoft, and my next-door neighbor works for the Xbox section of Microsoft, I may have a chance to play the beta of Halo3 and see what bugs are in that massive game. :wink:

EDIT:Cool I'm on the first page :D

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

They say that there was this Falador Massacre? What's that all about? I've never heard of that.

I don't make the rules, I break them...

May your bloodthirst be never stated, and may all your battles be glorious. Zamorak brings you strength!

Dragon+49044.png

Search for things about 6-6-06 on the forums and you'll find it.

If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.

If you try to fail, and then succeed, what have you done?

If someone who draws is an artist, and someone who plays piano is a pianist, what do you call someone who races?

They say that there was this Falador Massacre? What's that all about? I've never heard of that.

Some guy "Durial[numbers]" was able to attack people outside the Wilderness, and was filmed doing so in Falador. Hence, Falador massacre.

The dupe bug was a beginners mistake type of bug. Also, with construction there recently was a money dupe with the treasure room chest that you apparently didn't know of and so I could start arguing that Jagex apparently isn't so open about admitting it as you mentioned.

Heh, no they couldn't deny the famous dupe, the durial massacre or the forum bug that led to the forum-jagex-modding of all normal players.

I'm not saying programming is easy, or that bugless software can be written in the first place - it can't.

However, I do question Jagex testing systems and carefulness in programming with regards to the most vulnerable sides of their game, being items creation and P2P combat. If they do not try to be more careful, Jagex may create the possibility for another real dupe again.

Therefore I think this article is trying to argue too much that "it's ok to have bugs in your software", especially with regards to item creation and P2P combat.

good points takes me ages to try and debug all of the programes i make and they are only about 100 line programes i cant imagine how long it takes to debug something as big as runescape

as for the above ^^ they wont mention bugs that people can make gains from it says that in the bug centre. And i wouldnt say the duping bug was easy as it was only autorune that actualy allowed them to this normal layers couldnt

Jagex needs to be more thorough in testing updates.

pissant22.png

7 months ago, shoulen m0nk lured me for everything. If you know anything about him, pm me.

lol that was a good story but his eyesight must be poor... it's a well known fact that mods only drop garages on players. :lol:

WeÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ve all seen some of the harmless ones in Runescape: the one that had people walking bent over double for a while.

Heh, Duel Arena bug. :) Gawd, great stuff.

pixelsigwg5.png

Shouldn't the title be Under the Hood? Isn't that the phrase we use when we're talking about the inner workings of something such as a car or our own body and especially programming? Don't we call the core of a program the engine? I think it makes more sense but I must admit I've never heard of the phrase "Under the Cover", it sounds dirty to me :oops: .

Very informative, the part about microsoft, Jagex owns Bill Gates.

Hehe :D :twisted:

All Quests completed

99 Thieving achieved on January 10th, 2008

99 Defense achieved on August 3rd, 2008

85 Slayer achieved on July 31st, 2008

6 Dragon boot drops, 14 Whip drops

microsoft and their dumb"specific" video cards...

Anyway... Yeah, i agree with you, you cant catch everything, especially when the programmers can't DO everthing that every stupid player in runescape can think up to do.

vivi.jpg

Which FF Character Are You?

"The only tyrant i accept in this world is the still voice within." - Mahatma Gandhi

newscapere4.gif

I appreciate this article. Being a professional software programmer, I wish some if my clients were as understanding.

We tell people this: You have three things - 1. Reasonable price; 2. On Schedule; 3. Accurate... Pick two.

- Sligo

MySig.jpg

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but, I am not sure you realize tht what you heard is not what I meant.