Should F2P get skill capes?

hybrid2hell

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagex wants your money, not your hard work.

Jagex has said repeatedly over the past few months that f2p is not just a demo for the member's game. They've also said repeatedly that profit is secondary to making a great game. And they've been following through with this: they removed video ads that had been bringing in lots of revenue because they were annoying as hell, they took away member's-only content like right-click options for pickpocketing from free worlds, and they've made nearly all the recent PvP minigames available to free players, as well as the RC guild and Lumbridge Diary.

Mark my words, skillcapes will be f2p. I'd even be willing to wager that it'll happen within a year. And it is the right decision.

Jagex has said repeatedly over the past few months that f2p is not just a demo for the member's game. They've also said repeatedly that profit is secondary to making a great game. And they've been following through with this: they removed video ads that had been bringing in lots of revenue because they were annoying as hell, they took away member's-only content like right-click options for pickpocketing from free worlds, and they've made nearly all the recent PvP minigames available to free players, as well as the RC guild and Lumbridge Diary.

The fact that F2P is not a demo does not mean that F2P should get [insert member feature]. After all, the company is able to function primarily because of profit made due to selling membership credit. Jagex does not want to make F2P *that* much appealing so that P2P will stop being interesting. Skill capes are something that F2P would really like. And a good reason to get membership. I don't think Jagex will want to lose a big asset of P2P.

Mark my words, skillcapes will be f2p. I'd even be willing to wager that it'll happen within a year. And it is the right decision.

There is no right and wrong when it comes to decisions like these. Jagex is the only one that can make that decision.

My own personal opinion, though, is that I'd like to see F2P get skill capes. They deserve it, in my opinion. It would fit nicely in F2P. Though, my opinion is not relevant. My point is, that there is no "should". And the fact that F2P is not a demo, does not say anything about individual member benefits being given to F2P.

The fact that F2P is not a demo does not mean that F2P should get [insert member feature]. After all, the company is able to function primarily because of profit made due to selling membership credit. Jagex does not want to make F2P *that* much appealing so that P2P will stop being interesting. Skill capes are something that F2P would really like. And a good reason to get membership. I don't think Jagex will want to lose a big asset of P2P.

There is no right and wrong when it comes to decisions like these. Jagex is the only one that can make that decision.

My own personal opinion, though, is that I'd like to see F2P get skill capes. They deserve it, in my opinion. It would fit nicely in F2P. Though, my opinion is not relevant. My point is, that there is no "should". And the fact that F2P is not a demo, does not say anything about individual member benefits being given to F2P.

:thumbsup:

Now that's an explination to read. Good job.

untitled6kv7.gif

The fact that F2P is not a demo does not mean that F2P should get [insert member feature].

And I agree. But as skillcapes are (a) untradable and (B) reserved for only the most dedicated among players, it would be safe to make them accessible to nonmembers. Any player willing to put in the time to get 99 in f2p is deserving of the cape to show it, $6 or not. Skillcapes should have been f2p in the first place, but better late than never.

Skillcapes really are not a big asset of p2p. Like I said, they're reserved only for the most dedicated of players. Nobody is likely to subscribe because they have 99 and want to get a cape. Very few free players have 99 skills. Giving skillcapes to f2p won't even make a dent in subscription revenue. Free players got the Duel Arena, Fist of Guthix, the Runecrafting Guild, and an Achievement Diary. Don't you think they can handle skillcapes?

Like I said, personally I think skill capes would be a good update for F2P, and I'm all for it. Though, I do think you underestimate the "power" of the skill capes. It thrives a lot of players into skilling to actually get such a cape. They are undisputably very popular. Ofcourse it's impossible to foresee the impact that releasing skill capes has on F2P and P2P balance.. I do think skill capes are a major asset of P2P. Heck, I even hear people talking about the number of capes they have, instead of the number of 99's they have.

There are two sides on this though. I can imagine that Jagex will want to give F2P'ers the "respect that they deserve" by acknowledging the F2P achievements, but don't want to release big P2P assets to F2P. That's the balance question that Jagex will have to make, as far as I can judge their insights.

I do think that if skill capes will ever be released to F2P, it will have a huge impact. It'll change F2P skilling, giving F2P'ers an incentive to actually dedicate themselves to one skill, to get such a fabled skill cape. And it'll cause enormous ranting on the RSOF (like always, but in greater amounts this time) by P2P'ers. Well, that wouldn't be a reason to not release skill capes to F2P, but I do think that people see skill capes as a major asset of P2P (and thus P2P'ers will rant when one of their precious privileges is released to F2P, reflecting the importance). I'd like to see it happen though. It would be interesting.

Getting a skill cape is something that drives a lot of people. You'll find a lot of people spending hours of training to get one. And though skill capes are indeed reserved for the "elite" in a particular skill, it's easily observed that a lot of people aim to get a skill cape now, or in the nearby future. And if such a thing is possible on F2P, the incentive to get P2P is a lot smaller than what it could have been, and that's the financial risk that Jagex is facing.

Like I said, personally I think skill capes would be a good update for F2P, and I'm all for it. Though, I do think you underestimate the "power" of the skill capes. It thrives a lot of players into skilling to actually get such a cape. They are undisputably very popular. Ofcourse it's impossible to foresee the impact that releasing skill capes has on F2P and P2P balance.. I do think skill capes are a major asset of P2P. Heck, I even hear people talking about the number of capes they have, instead of the number of 99's they have.

There are two sides on this though. I can imagine that Jagex will want to give F2P'ers the "respect that they deserve" by acknowledging the F2P achievements, but don't want to release big P2P assets to F2P. That's the balance question that Jagex will have to make, as far as I can judge their insights.

I do think that if skill capes will ever be released to F2P, it will have a huge impact. It'll change F2P skilling, giving F2P'ers an incentive to actually dedicate themselves to one skill, to get such a fabled skill cape. And it'll cause enormous ranting on the RSOF (like always, but in greater amounts this time) by P2P'ers. Well, that wouldn't be a reason to not release skill capes to F2P, but I do think that people see skill capes as a major asset of P2P (and thus P2P'ers will rant when one of their precious privileges is released to F2P, reflecting the importance). I'd like to see it happen though. It would be interesting.

Getting a skill cape is something that drives a lot of people. You'll find a lot of people spending hours of training to get one. And though skill capes are indeed reserved for the "elite" in a particular skill, it's easily observed that a lot of people aim to get a skill cape now, or in the nearby future. And if such a thing is possible on F2P, the incentive to get P2P is a lot smaller than what it could have been, and that's the financial risk that Jagex is facing.

I agree with the most part but i think that we (f2p) should get some sort of recognition for a 99,

that doesn't need to be a skill cape, just the emote or something like that will make lots of high

lvled f2pers happy.

sigei.png

trechter.png

picture9hn2.png

another reason not to join bsc/esc/fsc

angel2w.gif

While F2P players who hit 99 deserve recognition for that achievement, the skillcape in itself was made as a member feature as a powerful cape for those who earned that power. Jagex will probably keep the power (stat boosts) in the P2P area.

But what if they made a less powerful, but still flashy and epic version of the capes for F2P? Do you think this would satisfy high levels, or would they want more?

a70c7.png

While F2P players who hit 99 deserve recognition for that achievement, the skillcape in itself was made as a member feature as a powerful cape for those who earned that power. Jagex will probably keep the power (stat boosts) in the P2P area.

But what if they made a less powerful, but still flashy and epic version of the capes for F2P? Do you think this would satisfy high levels, or would they want more?

I think, in most cases, they just want something to help them show off a bit. So even if just the emote and a cape with normal cape stats and the logo of the skill would be fine.

That is just my thoughts.

I think, in most cases, they just want something to help them show off a bit. So even if just the emote and a cape with normal cape stats and the logo of the skill would be fine.

I agree. While skill capes ARE decent in their stats, it's most to let the players around them know that they've obtained level 99 in said skill. F2P would be perfectly fine with a dumbed down version of the skill capes. Though I think they should have slightly higher stats than F2P's regular capes~

Taking a Playstation 3 break.

card.png

I agree. While skill capes ARE decent in their stats, it's most to let the players around them know that they've obtained level 99 in said skill. F2P would be perfectly fine with a dumbed down version of the skill capes. Though I think they should have slightly higher stats than F2P's regular capes~

Agreed here. Skillcapes are almost the best all-around cape, it should be that way for F2P too, though not as strong as the P2P variant... May as well keep one part an incentive to pay :lol:

There's really nothing in F2P where +9 all around isn't overkill, I think.

I don't think it would change F2P all that much. I mean, there are only like 3 people that are completely F2P and have 99 in a skill, let alone several.

:shock: I guess that puts me in the minority huh? Really though, that's not true. Take a look at Water Is Nat, NJE03, MedievalKid, or mauranius. Not to mention the top 250 F2P list.

100% F2P

Bonesaw342.png

234fcb4520.png

Bonesaw342.png

Bonesaw342.png

99 Defense, Tuesday February 10th 2009

99 Attack, Tuesday May 26th 200962,189th to get it

Agreed here. Skillcapes are almost the best all-around cape, it should be that way for F2P too, though not as strong as the P2P variant... May as well keep one part an incentive to pay :lol:

I'm not saying they should be only as strong as any other cape, I'm just saying that most F2Ps don't care if they add much to the stats. I would rather them be a little better than normal capes.

I don't think it would change F2P all that much. I mean, there are only like 3 people that are completely F2P and have 99 in a skill, let alone several.

There are actually hundreds of F2Pers with 99s. Some have many 99s. Only a few have ALL 99s, but hundreds have at least 1.

[hide=Quote Tree]

I'm not saying they should be only as strong as any other cape, I'm just saying that most F2Ps don't care if they add much to the stats. I would rather them be a little better than normal capes.

There are actually hundreds of F2Pers with 99s. Some have many 99s. Only a few have ALL 99s, but hundreds have at least 1.

[/hide]

Yeah I was being sarcastic...a few hundred? Compared to the hundreds of thousands of members with skill capes. I meant there was not that many F2P'rs with 99's relative to the amount of members, members with skillcapes, and F2P'rs without skillcapes.

Big_Stingman.png

Yeah I was being sarcastic...a few hundred? Compared to the hundreds of thousands of members with skill capes. I meant there was not that many F2P'rs with 99's relative to the amount of members, members with skillcapes, and F2P'rs without skillcapes.

That is partially to do with the fact we don't get anything to "show off" with and partly to do with the fact they get the 99 and then get members for the cape. To me, that doesn't sound very ideal, but to each his own.

Personally, I don't have a 99, nor would I rush to get one if we had skill capes or the like. I've quit setting goals for myself, and now play solely for the joy of playing the game.

That is partially to do with the fact we don't get anything to "show off" with and partly to do with the fact they get the 99 and then get members for the cape. To me, that doesn't sound very ideal, but to each his own.

Personally, I don't have a 99, nor would I rush to get one if we had skill capes or the like. I've quit setting goals for myself, and now play solely for the joy of playing the game.

I hope you know that I was saying that it would be fine if F2P got skillcapes...

Big_Stingman.png

I hope you know that I was saying that it would be fine if F2P got skillcapes...

I wasn't sure which side you were on, but I wasn't arguing either side of it in that instance.

We do realize that skill capes would give F2P (and possibly P2P) a huge boost in the economy, right? I mean, EVERYONE would have a reason to shoot for one or more 99's, and so there'd be a bigger demand for natural resources (ores, logs, uncooked food)

Taking a Playstation 3 break.

card.png