The OoC Presents: Newbie Appreciation Day! Date changed!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to seem nooby or anything, but how can i join the OoC? Seems...interesting.

Go to our website, join the forums, read the GBoK to learn more about our cult and all that :P

=Proud member of the Order of Cabbage=

THIS EVENT IS EVIL!!! Seriously, the time has come around again it seems for your lot to degenerate a ton more newbies!

For christ's sake, all you're doing is teaching them they must do nothing to gain something, which is all wrong. Way too many newbs already have this attitude, which I often spend time trying to explain away ingame, and you go and do this which pisses me off big time.

If you really want to help them, help them help themselves. Give them jobs or teach them how they can make their own armour etc.

P.S. Sorry if I sound offensive but I'm really against this type of thing. Like I say though, so long as you explain that they will need to work to gain anything else, maybe explain some good newbie jobs to them then I'm happy :)

P.P.S. If you all promise to do that, I will donate 100k even, but you MUST make sure they won't think this is commonplace and that wanting more free stuff is a bad way to go.

I agree with most of this. When I was a newb, I never begged or received free stuff. I think you should get them to help you with something, like air running or law running, where you can give them the profits of what they make instead of just giving them free stuff, otherwise they'll just change from being newbs to being noobs. Which do you want more?

newscape300x50qz7.gif

grammar2gr8dxhn9.png

"If you have nothing constructive to say, don't say anything at all."

I agree with most of this. When I was a newb, I never begged or received free stuff. I think you should get them to help you with something, like air running or law running, where you can give them the profits of what they make instead of just giving them free stuff, otherwise they'll just change from being newbs to being noobs. Which do you want more?

Please keep all discussion in this topic: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=646962&start=0

This topic is simply to discuss the event itself, not its effectiveness or pros and cons or anything silly like that.

Thank you to all who say they are donating. The OoC greatly appreciates your help, and hopes you can be at NAD to.

Live, love, eat!

Hey,

I think this is a really good idea, but I think we really need to enforce the fact that we are just doing this to help get them on their feet, and that they shouldn't beg for items.

We should also reccomend the knowledge base to them, because there are so many things that one can find out from it when they are a new player.

Remember not to advertise websites in Runescape. Even saying "You should go to Tip.it for some help" can get you banned. The best thing to do is refer them to the knowledge base.

I would come, but the times are a bit off for me. 6am on a Sunday and 6am on a Monday, so I don't think I will be able to make it.

Instead of giving them basic items such as tinderboxes, fishing nets etc, I think it might be a better idea to take them to the places where they respawn - for example a fishing net respawns beside the Fishing tutor just south of Lumbridge, because eventually they are going to lose their gear, and we don't really want them going back around asking people for more items etc.

Anyway, I think this is a great cause, and I would come if I could, but I can't :(

Hopefully I can make it to another event if the times are more suitable.

~Matt

Hey,

I think this is a really good idea, but I think we really need to enforce the fact that we are just doing this to help get them on their feet, and that they shouldn't beg for items.

We should also reccomend the knowledge base to them, because there are so many things that one can find out from it when they are a new player.

Remember not to advertise websites in Runescape. Even saying "You should go to Tip.it for some help" can get you banned. The best thing to do is refer them to the knowledge base.

I would come, but the times are a bit off for me. 6am on a Sunday and 6am on a Monday, so I don't think I will be able to make it.

Instead of giving them basic items such as tinderboxes, fishing nets etc, I think it might be a better idea to take them to the places where they respawn - for example a fishing net respawns beside the Fishing tutor just south of Lumbridge, because eventually they are going to lose their gear, and we don't really want them going back around asking people for more items etc.

Anyway, I think this is a great cause, and I would come if I could, but I can't :(

Hopefully I can make it to another event if the times are more suitable.

~Matt

I like the sound of this idea. Maybe we can give "skill tutorials" for specific skills to those who are interested, to perhaps build upon what was taught on Tutorial Island.

For instance fishing, we could tell them where are good spots to fish at low level, where to buy fishing equipment, tips for lower-mid level also. If they seem keen and interested to listen, then the items we give them would help to kick-start training in this skill that they aspire to train.

I dont think its a good idea.

Whenyou were lelel 3 id someone come and give you full iron?

They didnt to me.

I learn't to be independant...

So you are saying that because you did not receive free items when you began Runescape, no one else should be able to have that opportunity? Being independent is good, but that doesn't mean help is bad. If you had to cut down a big tree all by yourself, does that mean that someone else who wishes to do the same task does not deserve to have someone help them?

Live, love, eat!

Can we have an inventory update as to what has been accumulated for NAD? I'd like to know how I can best help this worthy cause. :mrgreen:

I can donate my services to the following:

- making/gathering of range armor

- making of iron sets

- runecrafting basic runes: air, water, earth, fire

- providing advice during the event

Please PM me through the forum so that I'll know how to best help.

- Celestrana

celestrana.png

celestrana.png

Knowledge is Power; a Tip.it guide answers many commonly asked questions.

~Celestrana: Making of a Hero ~ (Visit my blog, today!)

I dont think its a good idea.

Whenyou were lelel 3 id someone come and give you full iron?

They didnt to me.

I learn't to be independant...

yeah well some people just can't make money and they need that little boost. take me for instance. i'm cb 72, total lvl 983 now and i only have 400k in money and items put together. if i could make it so that a newb don't have to go through this i would, too bad i only have 1k :cry:

rare%20ghoul2.gif

rare%20ghoul2.gif

why are we giving them the most basic stuff? most people level 10-15 are able to use steel armour/weapons and oak/willow bows, and the arrows that go along with them, also, monk robes are better than regular ones, and can be worn by anyone,, why not give them some fishing rods and some steel hatchets/pickaxes

Ihope this dosent turn into an arguement :uhh:

just to let you know that its pretty rare to see newbies wearing full iron,

but the lvl 20s do have mith so maybe they could change it to lvl 3 to 10?

.signature your as this use backwards this read to enough smart were you If

How about newcomer maps? :mrgreen:

I think it's really personal choice.... if you think you would like to give them a newcomer map, then you should bring some with you. If some people can't be bothered, they should just teach them how to use the real map. Actually we should probably be teaching everyone how to use the World Map, eventually they are going to need it for the quests.

~Matt :)

How about newcomer maps? :mrgreen:

I think it's really personal choice.... if you think you would like to give them a newcomer map, then you should bring some with you. If some people can't be bothered, they should just teach them how to use the real map. Actually we should probably be teaching everyone how to use the World Map, eventually they are going to need it for the quests.

~Matt :)

They probably dont need to know how to use it, just to know of its existence and how to get there.

Celestrana, I'm not sure if anyone has gotten back to you over this tally thing. I'm gonna ask around.