The OoC Presents: Newbie Appreciation Day! Date changed!

oocbanner1dc.png

The Order of Cabbage Presents: Newbie Appreciation Day!

Yes that is correct Tip.it, The Order of Cabbage (OoC) is going to host another Newbie Appreciation Day (NAD).

What is the OoC?

If you already know what the OoC is, skip this part and move on to the NAD info. If you don't know what the OoC is, keep reading.

Have you ever been walking around World 7 in RuneScape, when all of a sudden you see a gigantic blob of red on your minimap? You rush to find out what it is, and discover a group of lunatics dropping cabbage all over the place! If this has happened to you, you have met the OoC. We are a group of RuneScape players that have discovered there is no true difference between clicking a cabbage, and clicking anything else. We have a wonderful time at the World 7 Draynor Cabbage Patch, picking cabbage, socializing, and just plain confusing the general public. How many cabbages have we collected? Over 2.5 million. Sure we could sell it all in Zanaris, but what fun is that? Why not just collect it, and let it bring together all the goodness of the world? Just stay away from the Draynor Cabbage... Anyway. If you want to learn even more about the OoC, you should take a look at the forums and read the Green Book of Knowledge. To do that, click here

NAD Info!

What to do, and how to do it.

Newbie Appreciation Day comes around every now and then, atleast once a year. It is a day when the OoC gathers friends, recruits, Tip.Iters (like you), and even strangers; to join together to help the the current generation of newbs. Low level armor. a few arrows, some runes, food, and definately advice, go to help new players. Generally they are around level 3-15. Now, we know that you are thinking, "You are just feeding the beast, they will just ask for more and more, and become beggars." Yeah, I've read If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, but even if just one person actually appreciates us, and pms one of us that we really helped them out, it was worth it. To be honest, I do not know if many beggars stop begging when they don't get anything they ask for. I am asking that this year's NAD is very different in the distribution from last year's

As with many NADs, we will be using the Barihawk Method.

A new method of delivery will be produced, and will be very personal. We will Private Message the recipient and ask them what path they will choose (mage, ranger, warrior) and then tell them we have a gift for them. We will then give them items and food correlating to their path, and wish them a happy Newbie Appreciation Day. This is far more personal, and hopefully the recipient will understand what we are doing.

In past NADs, this has been the most effective method. We will not only be giving new players a few items, but also some advice and tips, so that they are prepared to enter the realm we know today as Gielinor. This is in fact what I wish to happen. Last year, although this was posted, it was not what happened usually. Most people just said, "Hi, I have a present! Here you go! Enjoy!" Although this can be considered "nice" by some people, it is not the most effective. Dedicate a few minutes to each new person you try to help, and do NOT give stuff to those you observe have been begging. Some people just need help, and it's true! Give them some advice, like which quests are good starters, where to find stuff, or website sources even. I have seen the many rants that when we dump iron and runes all over the place, beggars just thirst for more, and the best way I can say to avoid that is to simply... Not do it.

What YOU Can Do

The OoC needs you. The newbies need you. Take some time, make some stuff, and see how it feels to help your fellow player.

Items we usually need:

-FULL Bronze and Iron sets, ideally complete with kiteshields and longswords.

nad1gp7.png

-FULL Leather sets for the rangers, complete with coifs, leather bodies, chaps, vambraces, and boots.

-An equal amount of shortbows (although the guides give them a bow, it can only have 25 arrows every 30 minutes, which makes training very slow and difficult.

-Lots of bronze arrows to go with the bows and leather sets.

nad4sm3.png

-FULL mage sets, hat, robe, and maybe bottom for the look. Blue or Black is fine.

nad3xx1.png

-Lots of basic elemental runes (air, water, earth, fire) and lots of minds.

nad2yd3.png

-Lots of decent, medium leveled food. (Trout and salmon are easy to get, but also very effective to give out.)

nad5tj1.png

-Iron Axes, because woodcutting is a great thing a newb can learn.

nad6lx1.png

-Iron Pickaxes, because mining can be pretty good too.

pickaxe_iron.png

-Nets, because newbies often lose theirs, and fishing helps alot.

nad7jx4.png

Helpful Tips the Newbies Probably Need:

A good starting quest - Cook's Assistant, Rune Mysteries, Doric's, Imp Catcher, Witch's Potion, Restless Ghost.

General Game Know-how - Where banks are, Where cities are, Good money making starts.

Tips for Survival - Do not enter the wilderness without a very very good reason, Bank the items you do not actually NEED in your inventory, Dangerous places that should not be entered (Dark Wizard's circle, Karamja Volcano, Varrock Sewers, etc.).

And Other Helpful Stuff You Would Have Liked To Known When You Were New!

We also need your time. Try to spend some time and actually come to NAD, to help pass things out and give advice. The OoC alone does not have the numbers to do it.

People to donate to

Arthistis

Moron8275

Allie_Sol

Mistymaple

Sunmann99

Ax_Avatar

Peter_Selie

Tmottbg

Dragonah

Ultimately, all donations will end up on three storage accounts. Mistymaple. Moron8275, and me, are all going to be the main donation collecters. My storage account is going to be Shmungo. In the event that any of us arents there, we will simply pool their items into one of the other two storage accounts, so nothing is missed.

The Event

Date: June 23+24.

World: 7 and 117, but meet in World 7 first.

Where: Draynor Cabbage Patch

Who: Everybody!

Time: 5:00 pm GMT

Wearing the OoC uniform is ideal as well. It is a completely f2p uniform.

uni2rn.png

A big thanks to the NAD Runecrafting Army for all your help making runes, and a special thanks to Battypenguin for topic guidelines and Hmguy for leading the RC Army! Kah Bah Gee!

Some people may say we are doing to hoard all the items. Our average level is fairly high, and we really have no use for all the iron and bronze, plus alot of people will tell you about the OoC reputation.

That's all!

Please keep discussion and arguments about the purpose/effectiveness of NAD in here: http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=646962

However, any questions about NAD can be asked here for an answer

Live, love, eat!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why are we giving them the most basic stuff? most people level 10-15 are able to use steel armour/weapons and oak/willow bows, and the arrows that go along with them, also, monk robes are better than regular ones, and can be worn by anyone,, why not give them some fishing rods and some steel hatchets/pickaxes

nadsiggeh2cw3.png

(\/) 42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

(O.o) cabbage rools

(><) my sig is cool, if you agree put this in your sig. *is too lazy to animate*

^the bunny is back! yay!

Well, I do believe that our purpose is to help out the most newcomerish of newcomers, people that wont even have a set of bronze to help them by.

I *think* we will be accepting donations of other stuff like steel and can give them out to people of the appropiate level who we see lack such armour.

By the way, if you wish to donate anything to me, please add "Ax Avatar" in game, PM is on. I will be taking donations however on my OoC account, OoC Pok, who is not a member.

=Proud member of the Order of Cabbage=

I just love NAD :D =D>

Make sure to get items, and encourage others to do so as well.

Oh, and add this to your signature (to help spread the word) please and thank you!

[url=http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=646938][img=http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1432/nadsiggeh2cw3.png][/url]

nadsiggeh2cw3.png

THIS EVENT IS EVIL!!! Seriously, the time has come around again it seems for your lot to degenerate a ton more newbies!

For christ's sake, all you're doing is teaching them they must do nothing to gain something, which is all wrong. Way too many newbs already have this attitude, which I often spend time trying to explain away ingame, and you go and do this which pisses me off big time.

If you really want to help them, help them help themselves. Give them jobs or teach them how they can make their own armour etc.

Giving newbs things is like feeding that blob from that one movie, they'll just get greedier and greedier and never bother working. Great, more beggars in Varrock. Well done OoC! :x

Unless you make an effort to explain exactly what you're doing and why then you've just made an enemy for life! :P :evil:

P.S. Sorry if I sound offensive but I'm really against this type of thing. Like I say though, so long as you explain that they will need to work to gain anything else, maybe explain some good newbie jobs to them then I'm happy :)

P.P.S. If you all promise to do that, I will donate 100k even, but you MUST make sure they won't think this is commonplace and that wanting more free stuff is a bad way to go.

tifsbti6oi.gif

Sure, but in the end it wouldnt even matter.

This is just ONE generation of newbs. And Im telling you that if we do this or don't do this, it wouldn't really have an effect. There will still be a ton of newbs who we didn't help. Its just for fun, come on.

By the way, if you can teach new players to act loyal and do it effectively, Ill do that right away. But the fact is , there isnt.

Im supporting this, ofcourse

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

Sure, but in the end it wouldnt even matter.

This is just ONE generation of newbs. And Im telling you that if we do this or don't do this, it wouldn't really have an effect. There will still be a ton of newbs who we didn't help. Its just for fun, come on.

By the way, if you can teach new players to act loyal and do it effectively, Ill do that right away. But the fact is , there isnt.

Im supporting this, ofcourse

Back in my merchanting days making lazyass newbs do my bidding was my game. ^^

Infact, I somewhat shamefully, in retrospect, made most of my wealth from getting newbs to gather bulk amounts of raw materials for half the selling price.

I digress however, my point being that it is possible. I found the best way was to walk around with a few mil, showing them what they could earn. Don't get me wrong, I still made them richer than they would of gotten in a long time on their own steam. :P

tifsbti6oi.gif

Try adding a few people who are on the 'Who to donate to' list and then just PM them when they're online. I can't speak for others, but my Chat's generally always 'On'.

NAD! This is a really fun event. It gets up your smithing, crafting or whatever levels because you have to make the stuff that perhaps you wouldn't do otherwise. It brings you together a community, you can meet new friends who are also donating to this, and who will be there on the weekend. You also get that amazing feeling of spreading happiness and good. Imagine what it was like when you started out, you would have been overjoyed if someone had given you a set of iron and answered a few questions for you :)

017mistymaple0112textis2.png

Thanks Choas for the Avatar and Petry for the sig (You know who you are) :)

Optimistic Elder in Runescape's only cult, The Order of Cabbage.

You said it yourselves man, unfortunately fortune and happiness is not what you spread, it's more like greedy minds, laziness and annoying mentalities.

Let me pitch something to you - when people first play RuneScape they probably haven't been playing any other MMORPGs cuz RS is looked down upon by players of most others. When you give them things for nothing, it's probably a little like cheats for them. The same mentality: I can't be [bleep]ed to play, I'll just use cheats to get stuff : I can't be [bleep]ed to play, I'll just ask people for stuff.

I never begged when I started cuz nobody helped me to start off with so ever since then I've had a strong Do It Yourself attitude. I'm telling you, the newb levels are SUPPOSED to be very challenging, it makes you react to the challenge and become more determined.

But whatever, I'm high, sorry if I'm ruining your thread but I think what I just said makes perfect sense somehow.

tifsbti6oi.gif

Will you just get off the thread please :oops:

You have made your point clear. And if Tip.it isn't going to help. Fine, be that way.

We'll do it on our own if we have to. But some iron sets and/or some iron arrows and fish wouldnt hurt you know.

Some newbs DO respect what we give them. And don't worry we wont give it to noobs who really ask for free stuff.

Remember its newb appreciation day, not Noob appreciation day , big difference O:)

reaper6zr7.png

Interrested in joining the cabbagy madness? Click here to go to our forums, and say hi ^^

lol one of the biggest pvp updates of the year, and tip it is discussing granite

I support. Helping newbs is something I've always done. My method was to smith full bronze at the time ( i was a newb myself, total level under 200) and give them out to people who really needed it. I'd tell them that if they ever needed help or advice, they could ask me. I've made a lot of friends this way and I can tell you that it works. The beggars are usually little kids and such people. They won't be happy if they get stuff, and they won't be happy if they don't. However, most of the newbs will be genuinely thankful. I've seen it happen. It's simple stuff that cheers people up. I'll try to make it. See ya there.

tetsupportsig2.jpg

Need a countdown? Don't know where to find one? http://www.pending.me.uk/

Retired TET leader.

I am supporting this event 100%. I had to work my way up through RuneScape the hard way, no one was there to give me useful advice when I was new to the game. Perhaps if I had been educated properly I wouldn't have had my first account hacked and lost my yo-yo. :(

I have 1000 raw salmon in my bank, I am going to cook them and donate them. I get a cooking level and the wonderful satisfaction of knowing I helped a worthy cause. :wink:

I am supporting this event also. I will try to make as many things as I can. I will make mostly armour though for melee. I will make a few ranged sets as well. Although, I won't any bronze arrows. I will have a few low leveled runes also. I have quite a few body runes as well. I am a tad bit short on mind runes though. I will have to make some. Air runes are no problem though.

tfssig.png

What happens in those days it what determines if they will be a noob or a newb. :P

Because newbs are the new player that actually don't know how to play and needs advice, while a noob is a player who might beg from stuff/cash at random, which will annoy people. Both can be annoying in a way, but generally, noobs are harrassing.

Going for 99 fm.

What happens in those days it what determines if they will be a noob or a newb. :P

Because newbs are the new player that actually don't know how to play and needs advice, while a noob is a player who might beg from stuff/cash at random, which will annoy people. Both can be annoying in a way, but generally, noobs are harrassing.

Exactly but newbs become noobs when they realise they don't need to work at the game, just harass people. This is brought about by seeing other beggers and by people handing stuff to them. I remember working very hard to get my smithing up so I could make my first set of bronze. These noobs will undoubtedly be given their first set of armour. They will then think, whether consciously or subconsciously, that they need not bother getting armour themselves, might as well just ask someone else for the next set since it's clearly that easy.

tifsbti6oi.gif