sci/fantasy books

eckythump0

Harrington isn't it Peter F. Hamilton? I'm pretty sure that's his name not Hamilty. Anyway I thought I read a lot of SF but Hamilton is the only one out of that list I recognize. Haven't read though because Dad says I'm not old enough to <.< . I know enough about Hamilton to say if you like him try reading Alastair Reynolds Revelation Space series. Its a good series but I thought it was slightly anti-climatic. Pushing Ice was another good book by him. You could also check out Dan Simmons and Richard Morgan. They're both pretty good SF authors.

You know you have David Drake on that list twice? Is he THAT good?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The Redemption of Althalus is, in my opinion, one of Eddings' best works. For starters, the characters actually sound original, rather than just being recycled from previous series he wrote. I still liked the Belgariad, though, but that's about it.

I would recommend the Wheel of Time series to anyone with a decent attention span. Jordan has excellent attention to detail, and even though his pace is somewhat slower than other authors', he really makes you feel as though the world is alive.

Raymond E. Feist is definitely up there, especially the Riftwar and Serpentwar sagas. Not so much the Conclave of Shadows books, but they're still a decent read. You shouldn't overlook his individual Riftwar saga books, especially Honoured Enemy. The Krondor series is somewhat bland, but decent for keeping up with the background to the main stories.

Terry Pratchett is also an excellent author. I've heard bad things said about his writing, mainly by people who haven't got a clue about what he's actually saying and think that he's just writing random things without structure. His books, especially the City Watch novels, are excellent social commentary, while being packed with humour, drama and action at the same time.

Tolkien's work is epic and definitely worth a read if you haven't already. There's a lot more to them than an over-the-top screenplay can capture. Also read The Silmarillion, because that's an awesome book.

Dune and its descendant books and series are excellent works of sci-fi. I'd say not to bother with the books after Kevin J. Anderson takes over the writing, because he has a tendency to defecate on continuity, and certainly doesn't write half as well as Frank Herbert.

Salvatore has to be mentioned, although I personally don't think he's all that good compared to the others above. His books are still worthwhile, though.

Again for science fiction, don't read anything before reading Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers and Fahrenheit 451. Excellent books.

Again for science fiction, don't read anything before reading Robert Heinlein's Starship Troopers and Fahrenheit 451. Excellent books.

Don't read Fahrenheit 451.

Dear God, don't read that book. Very weird, very out there, very boring >_<.

I dunno, maybe 15 was too young for me to read it, but that was the dullest book I've ever read. Okay, Red Badge of Courage beats it, but just barely.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I dunno, maybe 15 was too young for me to read it, but that was the dullest book I've ever read. Okay, Red Badge of Courage beats it, but just barely.

If you think 451 is out there, you've never really read any sci fi :P

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

If you think 451 is out there, you've never really read any sci fi :P

Eh, I put it badly. It's not really that it's "out there", it's just one of the weirdest and dumbest futuristic models I've ever had the discomfort to read about. I mean, Brave New World's future model makes more sense than 451's.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Eh, I put it badly. It's not really that it's "out there", it's just one of the weirdest and dumbest futuristic models I've ever had the discomfort to read about. I mean, Brave New World's future model makes more sense than 451's.

How can it weird or dumb? Its an accurate prediction at the way our world will become. Everything in that book is what is happening right now. People rather be happy then face the truth. That greed for happiness will eventually be our destruction. And if you haven't noticed, the use for books has become less and less, as people dislike reading them these days and much rather doing something interactive, and for the most part, don't pay attention to life lessons in the books. Basically, the book in whole means "Don't forget the past, face the truths, and learn to think individually and not as a collective."

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

The Belgariad and Mallorean series by David Eddings.

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

SOT! WOOOT such a nice series. The final book will be released...erm... in the near future?

*puts anti-flame shield on*

I liked the Harry potter books too....

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

Anne McCaffery-Dragonsong

David Gemmell (R.I.P)- All his books!

Robert Jordan-Wheel of Time (im currently on crossroads of twilight)

Battlefield Earth of course...(gotta re-read that im forgetting some things..)

Orson Scott Card- Bean and Ender stories.

Changegling plague. i think thats what its called..

blackmdefcape,ancnt%20hylian.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Have you ever read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan? You should check them out if you're into Fantasy. It's where I got my name from :thumbsup: ,

wheel of time is quite good (only read the first part of the eye of the world) i've started reading after it was in my room collecting dust

(ecky it's the book i was reading last week when i was trying to get som epeace without hearing about lvl 3 clue scrolls all the time)

9fade1.png

9fade1.png

9FADE1.png

9fade1.png

As somone said, the Wheel of Time series is very good. I'm waiting for the last book to come out...Hopfully Robert Jordan doesn't die before he completes it.

Some good fantasy books are the Dune series. I am reading them now. I think that the author was Frank Herbert or somthing like that.

"Nobody cheers for Goliath"

~Wilt Chamberlain~

I've read pretty much all the well-known series (Tolkien, Jordan, Goodkind, Brooks, Eddings, etc.) A few more that I haven't seen listed (possible I missed):

- George RR Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice (amazing series...probably my favorite of all!)

- David Farland's Runelords (very good)

- Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages

- Tracy Hickman/Margaret Weiss Death Gate Cycle

I am a fan of Anne McCaffery, especially the Pern series

Tamora Pierce, even though her books are aimed at to younger, probably female, audience I still love them. Arthur C Clarke, especially the more thought provoking ones. Michael Crichton, even though he borders on Adventure, I would still classify him as Sci-fi.

Dan Abnett is pretty good as well.

I haven't tried Asimov in a while now. I didn't really enjoy his books, but I might now. You've inspired my to give him a go again.

I have to get practically naked when I'm cooking bacon.

I may be immature, but that made me laugh!

• 2 months later...

Rather than make a new topic, I decided to report this here...

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/09/16/ri ... ordan.html

As anyone familiar with the series knows, he began it almost 20 years ago, and was working on the final book (#12 - to be named 'A Memory of Light'). Apparenty, he did share the main plot details with close family members whom plan to finish the final book, but I have doubts as to whether it will be fulfilling for the dedicated fans of the series.

RIP The Dragon

Yeah, saw this yesterday. Thought about making a topic, but never got around to it.

I was devastated. Even more than when Kurt Vonnegut died. I probably like KV more than RJ, but KV didn't leave a 12 book series with only 11 books finished.

My sister was even more mad than I was. She loves the books.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg