sci/fantasy books

eckythump0

Did or do any other tipit people enjoy reading si/fantasy novels by authors

such as Michael Moorcock and David Eddings? and if so who were their favourite characters and companions ect

eckythump0.png

eckythump0.png

ECKYTHUMP0.png

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅThat proves it, doesn't it? You said he was dead! It's like Chinese food, this is. Half an hour later you have to kill him again!ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan? You should check them out if you're into Fantasy. It's where I got my name from :thumbsup: ,

~~Let The Dragon ride again, on the winds of time~~

dragonrebornkr1.jpg

I've always felt as if I'm the only person who can understand the concept of sarcasm on the internet.

Have you ever read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan? You should check them out if you're into Fantasy. It's where I got my name from :thumbsup: ,

:shock: crazy brain that jordan has :shock:

Say what you mean and mean what you say because those that matter don't mind, and those that mind don't matter.

i rarly ever read books lucky if i read 1 every 5 years, but this isnt really sci-fi, but its a really good book

kite runner, its kinda rough in some parts but most ppl might be able to handle it

a91e22ec.gif
Aefx(started 11/1/2002) Cb: 200 TS: 1900+
Bmms--Jr(Started on 1/24/06)(Banned 11/13/09 ) Cb: 119(pre-eoc) TS: 1700+
Bmms(Started 8/?/2001)(Banned 1/24/06 ) Cb: 101(pre-eoc) TS: 1350+

Working my way through American Gods, which I suppose could be called fantasy :P

So far it's a really good book, but it has pretty coarse language and 'suggestive' scenes (think man swallowed by a woman......'s crotch)

Other than that I really liked Ender's Game (who doesn't)

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

I recommend Isaac Asimov :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_asimov

Seconded. Asimov was the undeniable master of Science Fiction. The Foundation and Robots series are fantastic.

As for David Eddings, I've only read one book by him - The Redemption of Althalus - And it's one of my favourite books ever.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Silverberg's Lord Valentine's Castle is good. If you like that, there's more in that cycle.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Dragonlance Chronicles,especially the series of The War Of The Lance,that was the best ever...Since I'm so evil,I like Raistlin(evil) and Fistandantilus.Erm,the two main authors are Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weiss,I think.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

doesn't he write science books as well? thats why i never read his books. im afraid of too much scicence i won't know about.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Anything by R. A. Salvatore (i.e. Numerous books about Drizzt and the clerical quintet + some other books with a different publisher.)

mrE.png

"We will certainly not be gaining money or members with this update. Instead, we are doing this for the good of the game, which is as dear to our hearts as it is to you."

- JAGEX, December 13, 2007

Seconded. Asimov was the undeniable master of Science Fiction. The Foundation and Robots series are fantastic.

As for David Eddings, I've only read one book by him - The Redemption of Althalus - And it's one of my favourite books ever.

Eddings FTW!!!!!

Actually, Remdemption of Althalus is one of the lesse books in my opinion. Also the Dreamers series is not much. The first 2 big series, the Belgaraid/Malloreon and the Elenium/Tamuli are MUCH better.

Favorite person Begariad/Mallorean: Silk. I like the litle thief. Belgarath is a good second.

Favorite person Elenium/Mallorean: Either Aphrael/flute: Godess FTW! or Kalten. I like the dummish, brute goodling. Ulath was great too.

transcript80.png

Other data was removed when acoount got hacked...

They're pretty good, except they're really long... :) I liked them, though. Hopefully Jordan stays healthy long enough to finish the last book as he wants to.

- Np Tyler

Just read "The Captain's Daughter" by Peter David. It was ok, but not quite worth the hype.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

The Ender's game book series. Really good until the last one.

The Belgariad and Mallorean series by David Eddings.

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

The Xanth novels by Piers Anthony.

Hubby says the Anne McCaffery books are really good too, I haven't read them yet, but that's next on my list.

4774_e3d1ea.png

I'm a married mother that plays RuneScape. Got a problem with that?

When i first started playing runescape some of the gods reminded me of certain "gods" or Lords" in Michael Moor[roosters] Elric and Corum novels etc for example the chaos lord Arioch, lord of the seven darks, lord of higher hell would be akin to zamorak. the law lord Arkyn akin to Saradomin, and the Grey Lords akin to Guthix you also have varous other major and Minor and sometimes older chaos and law lords.

Elic's sword "Stormbringer" would also be a good weapon to weald in Runscape esp in Wildy, it is Sentient, meaning it has a mind of it's own as it's actualy a demon it can cut efortlessly through any Material not protect by sorcery and it also "feeds" its wielder with the lifesorce of its victims and if i can remember it also "knows when someone even thinks of doing the wielder harm it will attack, so good in wildy if your so called friend is about to attack you, it would "know" and attack them first

eckythump0.png

eckythump0.png

ECKYTHUMP0.png

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅThat proves it, doesn't it? You said he was dead! It's like Chinese food, this is. Half an hour later you have to kill him again!ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

Dragonlance Chronicles,especially the series of The War Of The Lance,that was the best ever...Since I'm so evil,I like Raistlin(evil) and Fistandantilus.Erm,the two main authors are Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weiss,I think.

I also enjoyed reading the Drgon Lance Chronicles too remember "Tasslehoff burrfoot's Ring of Teleportation"? ring any runscape bells lol

eckythump0.png

eckythump0.png

ECKYTHUMP0.png

I would have to agree with everyone who said Eddings. First Fantasy author I ever read and completely got me hooked. Redemption of Althalus was a good read but my favourite was the Belgaried and Malleorian. They're good books to read if you're starting fantasy. If you like Eddings you should check out Raymond E. Feist. Read his Rift War Saga - some of the best Fantasy out there. DON'T read any of the stuff he writes with other authors - it is no were near as good as the other stuff and just plain boring at times. Servant of the empire series especially. Surprised no one has mentioned Tolkien so far - hes really good if you haven't seen the movies and you should stay away from the stuff his son has got at. It doesn't sound the same as Tolkien himself but its OK - the Silmarillion hasn't changed that much but Children of Hurin you have to wonder about.

Asimov is brilliant if you're into Sci-Fi, robots and that. If you like Asimov read Iain M. Banks. Some of the best modern sci-fi out there. I love all the Culture based novels and the one I'd recommend the most would have to be Player Of Games or maybe Use Of Weapons. Don't confuse Iain Banks with Iain M. Banks though - they're the same guy but the M. one is for SF, other is for contemporary novels.

Another good Fantasy author is Terry Pratchett - one of the funniest guys I have ever read. The Death and Guard series are my favourite.

What about Piers Anthony Apprentice Adept series (out of phase etc) or Tim Powers "the Anubus Gates?

eckythump0.png

eckythump0.png

ECKYTHUMP0.png

I read a lot of science fiction. I generally make a point of reading at least two books per month since I commute a lot.

My favourite series so far is the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. It's ten books so far along with various side novels.

Everything I've read in the last few years or so....

David Weber - Honor Harrington series (10 books)

David Drake - Belisarius series (5 books)

David Weber and John Ringo - Maclintock series (4 books)

Harry Turtledover - World War series (7 books) - an alternative history

Peter F Hamility - Nights Dawn trilogy

Chris Bunch & Alan Cole - Sten series (8 books)

David Feintuch - Midshipman series (first 4 books)

Kim Stanely Robinson - Mars series (3 books)

L Ron Hubard - Battlefield Earth (waaaaay better than the movie)

Elizabeth Moon - Paksinarion series (3 books)

Kevin K Anderson - Saga of Seven Suns series (5 books)

Jack Mcdevit - read 6 of his books so far...

John Ringo - the Gust Front series (4 books I think)

David Drake - Lt Leary series (3 books)

S M Stirling - read about 4 of his books so far...

Steven Baxter - think I've read everything he's written now

Walter H Hunt - Dark Wing series

Larry Niven - Ringworld series and Fallen Angels

Donald Moffitt - Genesis series

and lots of other single books which I can't be bothered listing lol....

Harrington.gif

Iv read JRR Tolkins the Lord of the rings triligy and Independence day. apart from a few star trek books thats about all Iv read in recent history in this genere.

my favorate of course would have to be tolkings works, Their is simply so much lore and things happening their that are not at all in the movies.

[hide]Tom bombadilo and the borrows, the gate keeper to the black gate, Emesery's from mordor, the swan prince and his knights at minis terith, the hope that the hobits inspired in gondore beliveint every roherim would ride with one of them on his back in battle.

the spoiling of the shire is something you would never had guessed from the movies that Sarumon aculy took his revenge their. nor would you belive that gandalf had a second battle of the wills at isenguard with Sauromon or that denithor was a good man who challenged the will of sauron useing the power of the palantar and had his mind overthrown as a result.

Its impossable to say who my favorate charicter was, they where all great in their own reguards. each with his own history and reson for fighting.

gandalf would certianly be up their however. speeking of gandalf: he's definately more powerfull in the books. and aragorn took narshel or however you pronounce the sword from rivendail.

theirs alot of side charicters too that don't get pictured in the movie, captain of the tower guard of Ministerith who takes pipin as his aprentice in the ways of a tower guardsmen.

the lord of the egles who gandalf has befrended, tom bombadilo, and many more. alot of things happend very diffrently from the movies as well such as gimli dredding comeing to moria becouse he knows balin has died and the goblins have infested it. Gandalf not wanting to go to rohan becouse of its proximitry to isenguard... I couldent begin to tell you.[/hide]

so who was my favorate charicter? I reely cant say, their was simply too many of them.

Harrington: Thats alot of books to read, keep it up and you will be very good at retaining information.

Clan Moderator from December 15th 2006- August 20th 2007

Founder of: Terran Gamers, formerly known as Militos Deci