Preservative 211 Damages DNA (Found in SOFTDRINKS!!)

Bradley_006

Soft drink additive damages DNA: report

by staff report Sunday, May. 27, 2007 at 9:39 PM

The singularly profit driven Corporations have lied and lied regarding food additives, tobacco and climate changing pollutants. They only respond to VERY LARGE financial disincentives. A drive to sign up whole populations for a class action against these polluters is a great start for future mental and physical health. This action may also reveal the combination of additives in foods and the water supply that impairs the human will. Never before in human history have entire populations become so subservient, helpless and passive in the most alarming circumstances. The apathy and complacency witnessed today in the face of horrendous illegal wars, pollution induced climate change/GLOBAL warming, to name the two most catastrophic events, is beyond comprehension. Hit them hard and hit them in the pocket, the "class" of the action should include the entire population -- you and your children have been poisoned!

A common preservative found in many soft drinks can cause serious cell damage and fatal illness, according to a UK study revealed last night.

Research indicates that sodium benzoate, an ingredient in many soft drinks and sauces, has the ability to deactivate parts of DNA and eventually cause diseases such as Parkinson's and cirrhosis of the liver.

Sodium benzoate is indicated in Australia as "Preservative (211)" on ingredients lists, and is included in Sunkist, Diet Coke, Sprite, Pepsi Max, and many other drinks and condiments.

Peter Piper, a professor of molecular biology and biotechnology who has been studying sodium benzoate for eight years at Sheffield University, found that the preservative seriously damages living cells.

"These chemicals have the ability to cause severe damage to DNA in the mitochondria to the point that they totally inactivate it: they knock it out altogether," Prof Piper told The Independent on Sunday.

The findings came from laboratory tests conducted with sodium benzoate on living yeast cells. Prof Piper was alarmed by the chemical's destructive impact on the "power station" of the cells known as the mitochondria.

"The mitochondria consumes the oxygen to give you energy and if you damage it ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Ã

picture6sd6.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it as the years go forth, anything we drink, eat or breathe is becoming bad for us in some shape or form :P

I really have given up on it all and just stopped paying attention.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

well, i don't drink soda, carbonated drinks, eat beef, pork, hot dogs(eagles+poodles+turkey+ dolphins) juice from concentrate, growth enhanced meats of any sort, non organic milk,and a lot others, so what i eat is usually not too bad for me.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

I was lifting up my jones soda to take a drink as I read that, and its in it to. Oh well, with flavor like Jones soda, I don't care if they put plutonium in their to preserve it.

I don't drink soda normally or any unhealthy stuff, and this jones soda is a treat (though I have 20~ish more bottles at my house) so I think I'm alright.

1z2zrwo.jpg

Children shouldn't drink too much soft drinks anyway even if it didn't have this preservative in it. they arent healthy full stop.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Sunlights bad for ya too, should we all stay indoors?

If you don't do anything that is slightly bad for you in some way then you will never do anything. I'm with viktor, I plan to live life.

Jesus, next they will be telling us we have to use oxygen tanks 'cos the air we breathe in has bacteria. Seriously, how does a scientific survey like this actually benefit regular people? It probably only affects people who drink tons of soft drinks. Most people moderate their eating/drinking habits. :roll:

BREAKING NEWS:

Oxygen damages DNA - it's an oxidising agent. Quick!!! Stop breathing!!!

Just about everything harms you in some way. If nothing harmed us or our DNA, we wouldn't age or die.

Im personally not overly worried but I'll keep it in the back of my mind.

Its a made up "scare campaign" by Pepsi after realizing nobody likes their drink. They figured they had to scare the large population of Cocca Cola drinkers in some way.

Sunlight is actually very good for you, and if you don't get at least 10 minutes a day, it can lead to problems. Exposure to sunlight causes the skin to create Vitamin D (I think its that one). But then again, moderation, so only 10 minutes a day is all you need.

BTW. With this article, if it really is true that these things can kill our DNA, then that leads to a multitude of possibilities.

•  
    Damaged genes in sperm or eggs would cause problematic children

The possibility of those diseases listed in the article

Cancer (Due to the damage, it may cause the cell to continually reproduce, hence cancer)

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Sunlight is actually very good for you, and if you don't get at least 10 minutes a day, it can lead to problems. Exposure to sunlight causes the skin to create Vitamin D (I think its that one). But then again, moderation, so only 10 minutes a day is all you need.

BTW. With this article, if it really is true that these things can kill our DNA, then that leads to a multitude of possibilities.

•  
    Damaged genes in sperm or eggs would cause problematic children

The possibility of those diseases listed in the article

Cancer (Due to the damage, it may cause the cell to continually reproduce, hence cancer)

Ok, what DOESN'T cause cancer now? <.< Meh, soft drinks have never been healthy for you, not gonna stop drinkin them because of this.

maxsig28nv.gif

Ok, what DOESN'T cause cancer now? Meh, soft drinks have never been healthy for you, not gonna stop drinkin them because of this.

With neutral regard towards this study (not sure if it's fake or not), I wonder why people take cancer causing materials/edible food/drinks so lightly. :?

Those people don't just spout statistics for fun. They dedicate years into research to come up with reliable results which have possibly involved human subjects.

You know, people who DO die of cancer (hundreds of thousands of people every year in USA alone) aren't just a statistic. They're teachers, parents, businessmen, students, lawyers... It happens to everybody.

Cancer,in most cases, doesn't just appear by itself. It's triggered by consuming too much harmful food, drinks.. Tobacco.. Excessive sugar, salt, etc..

Hmm... I'm a water-drinker only... So I guess you're the ones that are screwed.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865/

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/newscen ... etail.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01460.html

Yep water is totally safe... :-w

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I honestly have given up with these reports. If it was a serious risk, it would have been pulled, it hasnt...

Even if there is some of this in our drinks, the amount is probably so small it doesnt matter.

sig5235ro7.jpg

+1

I stopped every drink that has aspartane, cafeine, or sugar in it. We'll see who will be laughing when all you softdrinkers are 50, obese, have diabetes, and various other health problems.

2480+ total

+1

I stopped every drink that has aspartane, cafeine, or sugar in it. We'll see who will be laughing when all you softdrinkers are 50, obese, have diabetes, and various other health problems.

Strong ignorance.

Known formerly as Ameoba3000.

Now known as Vigoss.