Dark Bow Review and Comparison

DegenerateX

The Dark Bow has went from about 60 mil this morning to about 5M as I speak. The prices on the forums appear to be dropping faster than those in world 2 for better or worse.

I have compiled some pictures to compare the stat boost of the Magic Short Bow, Crystal Bow, and the Dark Bow for comparison.

MagicShortBow.jpg

CrystalBow.jpg

DARKBOW.jpg

As You can see the Dark Bow has only 5 less point in its range boost compared to a FULL Crystal bow. That is important because a crystal bow degrades over time while a Dark bow doesn't.

In addition the Dark Bow is almost as fast as a Mage Short Bow.

According to some data from the Tip It Crew, the Dark Bow shoots twice (2 arrows each time) for every 5 Magic Short Bow Shots. This is equivalent to 4 arrows from the Dark Bow compared to 5 Arrows from the Mage Short Bow. While the Mage Short Bow is faster than the Dark Bow, the Dark Bow completely blows the Crystal Bows speed and power out of the water.

The special is 2 twisting arrows that look like they are smoking striking at the opponent at a quicker rate than the normal animation. The arrows are GUARANTEED TO HIT and have a 30% CHANCE of hitting higher than your maximum hit. However if you have Dragon Arrows equipped the 30% becomes 50%.

So let's review, the Dark Bow (w/ rune arrows) is as strong as a Crystal Bow, and as soon as you use Dragon Arrows (which aren't economicaly feasible at the moment) will completely outdamate and outspeed your opponent.

CONCLUSIONS

I forsee the price coming down very quickly from what I've seen today in the market.

The Dark Bow will replace the Crystal Bow for all occasions where picking up arrows is not a problem. In terms of strength the Dark Bow will wipe out the Crystal Bow in a heartbeat. Let's not forget that awesome spec as well. At lower ranger levels 50% may not seem like a huge deal but it is at higher range levels where that is the equivalent of 25 more than your normal maximum hit.

So far the highest maximum hit I've personaly seen is a 40-41 spec from a friend of mine with 99 Range, using a Range Pot, and Range Prayer, Ranger Set, Range Cape, Fury, ect. (ok you get it maximum range boost)

I never thought I'd say this but Range is completely OP (overpowered) with the addition of this new bow and I'm not saying that in a bad way as range is my favorite combat style :)

Looking for someone to teach me how to Armadyl farm - pm me

10,200th Person to Achieve 99 Magic on 1/10/08

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In addition the Dark Bow is about as slow as a Crystal Bow, possibly even .1 seconds more however it shoots 2 arrows at once which after some brief testing of timing has led me to the conclusion that it is as fast a Mage Short Bow.

I have tested this and proven it to be 2 Dark Bow shots for every 5 Magic Short Bow shots. This means the Dark Bow shoots 4 arrows for every 5 arrows the Magic Short Bow shoots. Therefore, even with double arrows shooting, it is still slower than a Magic Short Bow.

saidinwotsmall2zo.jpg

Add your blog to the BlogScape Index!

SaidinWoT can now be tracked easily on weekends - Erm, maybe when I start playing again.

Levels do not measure intelligence OR maturity.

Alright thanks for the info. As I said my testing was really brief and a bit confusing due to everyone attacking guards with their new dark bows :XD: .

I'll edit it with your data added.

Even so it still is going to replace every other bow as a monster/pking/staking weapon on my opinion except where the situation calls for not picking up arrows.

I hate to say this but I think it's going to be nerfed within the next week.

Yeah so.. I saw this guy pking with one earlier. He 2 hit someone without speccing using dragon arrows. Now I really wonder what will the dark bow do to pking?

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

As I said Dark Bow will replace any bow in any circumstance unless it involves not being able to pick up your arrows for some reason.

Getting a Fire Cape is going to be a hell of a lot easier with a spec that always hits and has the potential to hit 100.

Prices still going down which is good because from people that ive been talking too - alot of people have had 2-3 drops of the bow so far in 10-12 hours. Not as rare as people thought.

I think the rarety came from it being a drop from a high slayer lvl monster.

I'll wait for 1 mill then maybe buy me one.

leebrave.png

Gorak Chronicles Ended, thinking of something new for next week

One interesting thing to note is that Vengeance doesn't work very well on Dark Bow. The bow hits "70" but Vengeance only works on one of the arrows.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

im not getting my hopes up, i know it will be nerfed everyone will whine and complain

RSN: 1 day late | Private chat: On

| 60 ATTACK | 81 STRENGTH | 72 HITPOINTS |

| 80 MAGIC | 13 PRAYER | 1 DEFENSE | 65 COMBAT |

Wow, thanks for the comparison info. After getting my hunter levels, I will use the red chins to bump up my range by far. By the time that I have completed all this, I am sure this bow will be VERY affordable due to the quick decrease in value. Then, I will be the master of the firecape. :wink:

devotedconstructionkt0.jpg

Wow, thanks for the comparison info. After getting my hunter levels, I will use the red chins to bump up my range by far. By the time that I have completed all this, I am sure this bow will be VERY affordable due to the quick decrease in value. Then, I will be the master of the firecape. :wink:

by the time all that happens the bow will have been changed, just like the dragon scimmy, whip, maul, and magic bow.

One interesting thing to note is that Vengeance doesn't work very well on Dark Bow. The bow hits "70" but Vengeance only works on one of the arrows.

If you watch, the second arrow is shot about half a second after the first arrow, thus Vengeance Recognizes this as one attack, and not two, like a Dragon Dagger's Special Attack.

Knowledge Talks| | Wisdom Listens

~~Heroes Get Remembered, But Legends Never Die~~

Vitafides.jpeg

Xbox Live & Playstation Network Name: Trojann2

how would training with it compare to magic short?

its alittle slower from what i heard, but hits hard.

Uhh, wow. I'm NEVER pking/staking now. That's just insanely overpowered.

And I wouldn't count on Jagex nerfing it within the week, considering how long mauls/whips had their uber specs before Jagex nerfed them.

Dark bow shoots 4 times everytime MSB shoots 5.

Dark bow Special uses up the entire bar, giving you only a 50% added damage (not 50% extra chance to hit) for the doubleshot.

(For staking, stakers only need to watch out for the special after which if it fails to k.o. will allow the stakers enough time to eat and regroup) [Doubt stakers will want to stake without food with this spec around]

Some claim it can hit through armour, but what dark bow special ensures is only a sure-fire damaging hit, not any increased accuracy or hitting through armour (like what dharok was rumoured to do before)

I am going to put my hand down and say the Dark bow update will not be nerfed. :uhh: (the longer it passes the less likely it will be for nerfing to take place)

bronzempraycape,gifted22yeah.gif

Gifted22yeah.gif

the special hits insanely high and is guranteed to hit along with normaly shooting 2 arrows at a time anyway? okay 2 things this will be useful for Barrows ( guys will get most thier life taken away in 1 spec and then you switch to whatever) and fire cape can become rediculous with this cuz you can just camp out behind the boot and wait for spec to recharge and blast them again(using chicken pack it should collect your arrows for you)

i smell even more people getting firecape(s)

LK1

this random comment brought to you today by ADD: ADD, bringing random entertainment to all for generations

Thanks for the info. I guess I might be better off training with a magic short, but this still looks like it would be fun to use. There's one piece of comparison info missing: how far can this bow shoot? As far as long and crystal bows?

kindness.png

I would say yes for fight caves. If you dont mind spending a bit of money on arrows you could hide behind Italy Boot and wait for spec to recharge and then go out and one Hit Ko with the spec.

Definetly not underpowered. In fact it's so underpowered that you can one hit ko someone (with 99 hp) if you have 99 range, pray, pot, dragon arrows that I'm positive it will be nerfed in some way or form.

Enjoy it while it lasts.