age limit to love?

andufusthebronze

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I laugh at anybody under the age of say about 18 that say they're in love :?

I second this statement, wholeheartedly. I dare to raise the age limit above 18, since at 20 girls are still just as immature and fickle as they were at 13.

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Why?

Well I don't really "laugh", I just don't believe you can be in love when you're still growing and your hormones are stirring, too much going on.

Fundamentally, what is love but a hormonal/emotional bond? Since teenagers have stronger hormonal urges than anyone, or emotional highs and lows, aren't they in a better position than anyone to experience love?

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

and of course maturity comes with age..

Sorry, what?

What is age?

Age is just a number... Mentally, a twelve year old can be older than a thirty year old...

Greater age = more life experience. (unless you've been in a coma..)

Greater life experiences = knowledge of how the world really works, and with that comes being mature in your nature.

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

Why?

Well I don't really "laugh", I just don't believe you can be in love when you're still growing and your hormones are stirring, too much going on.

Fundamentally, what is love but a hormonal/emotional bond? Since teenagers have stronger hormonal urges than anyone, or emotional highs and lows, aren't they in a better position than anyone to experience love?

What do you mean 'fundamentally'? We're talking about love here...

When you talk about hormonal urges do you mean sexual, because sexual urges tend to have nothing to do with "love" for anybody. Love requires commitment to somebody not emotional highs and lows which is why I find it hard to believe that you think teenagers are in a stable position to love a member of the opposite sex.

Sorry, what?

What is age?

Age is just a number... Mentally, a twelve year old can be older than a thirty year old...

How many do you know personally that are?

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

When you talk about hormonal urges do you mean sexual, because sexual urges tend to have nothing to do with "love" for anybody. Love requires commitment to somebody not emotional highs and lows which is why I find it hard to believe that you think teenagers are in a stable position to love a member of the opposite sex.

What I mean is that love has an explanation rooted in the brain, and a teenager's brain is more active and emotionally charged than any, so it's ability to 'fall in love' is probably heightened. I'm not saying all teenage love's last, they don't but that's not really because it's not proper love, but more based on other hormonal urges, pressures from society and constraints at the time to maintain a proper relationship.

Basically, you seem to me to be saying that teenager's are too irrational and emotionally charged to fall in love proper, but isn't that what love is? Or, who can really define love?

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Why?

Not to be all soppy, but I genuinely feel like I do "love" a certain someone, and I'm 17. I know someone my age who's been going out with this person for two years, and they seem to "love" each other. The fact is that person I care about means the world to me, that doesn't affect how my hormones act. OK, I'm very mature mentially for my age, but that doesn't affect my biology.

I personally say you can start to form those kind of emotional bonds with others at about 15-19. Of course, one thinkg everyone seems to have failed to mention is that different people hit puberty at different ages. I know a girl that only hit her's when she was 15, for example, yet another that hit her's at 11. The age at which you hit puberty very much affects when you can start developing more deeper bonds with other people.

Pre-13 I don't think are capable of love, purely because it's very unlikely that they'll have enough experience of life and relationships to grasp the concept. It's one hell of a concept, one only I've truly understood since very recently. It's not meant to be condescending, but I believe that's how it is.

What I mean is that love has an explanation rooted in the brain, and a teenager's brain is more active and emotionally charged than any, so it's ability to 'fall in love' is probably heightened. I'm not saying all teenage love's last, they don't but that's not really because it's not proper love, but more based on other hormonal urges, pressures from society and constraints at the time to maintain a proper relationship.

Basically, you seem to me to be saying that teenager's are too irrational and emotionally charged to fall in love proper, but isn't that what love is? Or, who can really define love?

I think that the only hormones that come out of male teenagers are the desire to have sex with anything remotely female. Love is a commitment of yourself to another human being which you can't have if all you can think about is sex. But you're right, if we continue along this path we are going to end up trying to define love, a tricky business...

Its not prejudice, 11 year olds are not in LOVE. Not in the real sense that you get when you are older. I dont think there is a majical age where all of a sudden someoen is capable but 9 times out of 10 the average young teen is not as mature as they think they are.

Yes, but why stereotype that last tenth?

The last tenth, if mature, won't worry about being stereotyped. They also won't consider themselves "mature"; I find the most mature people are the people that most readily admit they have a long way to go.

summerpngwy6.jpg

I second this statement, wholeheartedly. I dare to raise the age limit above 18, since at 20 girls are still just as immature and fickle as they were at 13.

That is a major stereotype. There are always immature people in the world, whether they're ten, twenty or forty. Yes, I know some immature twenty year old women, but I also know some very mature ones.

As for the actual question, I believe that teenagers have the capacity to love one another. Sure it may be more unlikely with their hormones raging and whatnot, but it's certainly possible. But as you look at people of younger ages, I do think it gets even more unlikely (but still possible). At those younger years, I'm not sure I'd call it love, but I do think that the strong "like" for one another can develop into love later on (in the 'teen years').

I've loved my current fiance since I was like ten or eleven years old. Sure, it may have started out as a silly crush or something, but our relationship has grown into a lot more since then and strengthened over the years.

Judging from my real life experience, I would definitely say that it's possible to love someone in your teen years.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

It's my honest opinion that people here have a very. Doctered and cynical view on love.

Striker6, and Poopingman, you don't know even half of it.

Life experience doesn't account for anything. I've only ever been in love once and i'm certain my girlfriend is the one i'll be staying with for my entire life. We were 17 and 15 when we met. We've been together for a year and a half and don't plan on going anywhere seperate ever. So you're basically saying, you're free to laugh at me and tell me i'm not in love because of my age.

That, sirs, is absolute CRAP.

Love strikes where it strikes, when it strikes, no matter what the circumstances. It's not something that's truly affected by society, nor is it something you can control. It's someone making your pulse race when you think of them, being the first and last thing on your mind, and you doing anything to see them.

It does not have a bloody age restriction!!

logo.jpg

If two people of age let's say 14-15 are in a relationship, and it's not lust, as neither party has sex in mind, and according to you it's not "love", then what is it? Do you mean to say it's just a friendship? Let's say that I'm 14 and let's pretend I have a girlfriend, which I currently don't. (But have had, before.) Let's say I in no way want to have sex with her, and I'm not purely physically attracted to her (this has happened before, so don't say it's impossible); yet I still really, really like her. She really, really likes me. We hang out a lot, go for ice cream, movies, or walks; we eat lunch together, and sometimes we might kiss in the hallway between class. I know a friend who has a girlfriend like this, and I used to. So what do you call that, if not love?

sig2.jpg

It's my honest opinion that people here have a very. Doctered and cynical view on love.

Life experience doesn't account for anything. I've only ever been in love once and i'm certain my girlfriend is the one i'll be staying with for my entire life. We were 17 and 15 when we met. We've been together for a year and a half and don't plan on going anywhere seperate ever. So you're basically saying, you're free to laugh at me and tell me i'm not in love because of my age.

Love strikes where it strikes, when it strikes, no matter what the circumstances. It's not something that's truly affected by society, nor is it something you can control. It's someone making your pulse race when you think of them, being the first and last thing on your mind, and you doing anything to see them.

You're an idealist, you're 17 (or 15) not sure but you can't seriously believe that you are in LOVE and be prepared to remain with your girl and never look for a new one. Seriously, its not possible you may be attracted to her but that aint love instead lust!

I'm confident I know more about this than you because I am nearly 18 and know for a fact I've never been in love only liked girls for lust reasons , if you can honestly say you're in love kudos to you except I don't believe you :lol:

Don't say I talk crap because I think with a clear head, you you're biased because you think you're in love!

I don't really believe anyone that's under the age of ~17 can actually love each other. Although, there can be a very good relationship between them.

Also why I never say "I love you" to my girlfriends because I know I don't. :|

You're an idealist, you're 17 (or 15) not sure but you can't seriously believe that you are in LOVE and be prepared to remain with your girl and never look for a new one. Seriously, its not possible you may be attracted to her but that aint love instead lust!

I'm confident I know more about this than you because I am nearly 18 and know for a fact I've never been in love only liked girls for lust reasons , if you can honestly say you're in love kudos to you except I don't believe you :lol:

Don't say I talk crap because I think with a clear head, you you're biased because you think you're in love!

I'm over 18 and going to university next year. I think if I was just here for lust, it wouldve been my college years when that took place.

Now tell me how you can tell me i'm not in love when you havn't been in it yourself.

logo.jpg

I'm over 18 and going to university next year. I think if I was just here for lust, it wouldve been my college years when that took place.

Now tell me how you can tell me i'm not in love when you havn't been in it yourself.

That's exactly why I can tell you! Male teenagers only have one thing on their mind in relationships and it is not love. If all you can tell me is that "your pulse races" I don't believe you. Sorry to be so mean but I guess the truth hurts.

That's exactly why I can tell you! Male teenagers only have one thing on their mind in relationships and it is not love. If all you can tell me is that "your pulse races" I don't believe you. Sorry to be so mean but I guess the truth hurts.

Not really, because that's miles from the truth. I feel sorry for you just being after sex all the time, I really do, because you're going to plough through some right dirt before you find someone you really like.

My mom and dad met when they were 16 and 17. They're now 49 and 50. Now, was my dad just after one thing or did he find someone he really loves? He found someone he really loves. They still take more than 2 holidays a year together, they go on bike rides together, they go to pubs and restraunts far away together. My mom still tells me she misses my dad when he's at work and my dad bunks off early sometimes so he can go and see her. Go ahead and laugh at them for "not" falling in love because they were under 18. :)

logo.jpg

Ehhhh I pity you, you can't see things to how they truly are but if you live your life in your own world who am I to stop you. I'm the one that can back up what I say with experience and friends of mine that feel the same way. But you, you're like a broken record...

In any case I'm going to sleep now I hope I'm not haunted by your insipid ideals.

Sorry, what?

What is age?

very true....but you really don't see many of those mentally mature 12 year olds....very few.

I have one for a brother -.-

Shamuuu.png

Listen to the mighty words of Bloodredsword.

Tip it MGC Xbox live leader board!

Ehhhh I pity you, you can't see things to how they truly are but if you live your life in your own world who am I to stop you. I'm the one that can back up what I say with experience and friends of mine that feel the same way. But you, you're like a broken record...

In any case I'm going to sleep now I hope I'm not haunted by your insipid ideals.

How can you say you know how things truly are? You're speaking in ignorance, you're no one to say that he doesn't love someone. I don't care what you or your friends say, not every male on the planet has sex in mind when getting into a relationship with someone that they know and really like. Do you know why? Probably not, and that's why I'll give you the answer: They want to be happy. Two 16 year olds being in love, in some cases, is the exact same as two 27 year olds being in love. Of course, two 16 year olds being in love can be like two 27 year olds being in love too...if you get what I mean.

I pity you. I hope you are haunted by his ideals, maybe they will scare some sense into you.

klaatu-tabs.jpg

"El que no arriesga no gana"