Bill Gates looses richest status

malo2

...then spend billions on luxury instead....

Just wanted to say something on this aspect. I'm not impugning Mr. Gate's charity efforts, but in all likelyhood he does spend more on luxury than anyone else. I saw a TV special on his house. It was awesome. He has sensors in every room that detect not only when someone enters, but who enters, then the house automatically changes the temp, lights, etc to that person's preference. I'm not saying his contributions are anything to scoff at, but he certainly did spend his money on himself before he ever gave massive amounts to charity.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...then spend billions on luxury instead....

Just wanted to say something on this aspect. I'm not impugning Mr. Gate's charity efforts, but in all likelyhood he does spend more on luxury than anyone else. I saw a TV special on his house. It was awesome. He has sensors in every room that detect not only when someone enters, but who enters, then the house automatically changes the temp, lights, etc to that person's preference. I'm not saying his contributions are anything to scoff at, but he certainly did spend his money on himself before he ever gave massive amounts to charity.

Of course he spends more on luxery than anyone else, hes one of the richest people on Earth, it would be hard not to spend more.

It would seem you people look over the fact that these people EARNED their riches, it is not the publics, its not the nations, its THEIRS and they are not obligated at all to donate even a penny of it to charities just because you can't raise up that much money yourselves.

You all have extra money, I mean you all are using computers, you more than likely have TVs, cars, two story(or bigger) houses, ect why don't you guys sell all that and donate it all to people who live in small huts out in the middle of the desert with nothing but the clothes on their backs?

Make sure you have the right to make an arguement before opening your mouths next time.

crim2ma.jpg

~^v^~Ex-Leader of the Divine Flames of Redemption~^v^~

I must say, I do respect Bill Gates. He invests in charity with his own personal fortune, and on top of that, he has made sure that the Microsoft company has a strong charity plan as well. I work for a social non profit organisation. Microsoft was one of the first to believe in our project and to sustain it. It was a great experience working with them, because even though there's obviously marketing involved, it's not the core reason for the charity. I really hope the company will continue their work in several area's of charity.

I really think they should bring in the 10% of your earnings goes to charity thing. So many rich people, so many suffering...so much that could be done but isn't ;/
Ya or perhars do it similar to the tax bands.

Say

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã5000 charity free

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã5001-ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã15000 at 2%

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã15001-ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã40000 at 5%

ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã40000+ at 10%

I dunno really but thats an example.

iteme3721.jpg

Okay, I have to point this out. They don't have that much money. Thats the amount their assets(companies, buildings, houses, etc.) and money together are worth.

Thankyou for pointing that out, I was starting to think nobody had a clue what they were talking about. He'd have barely any of that in comparison to the $50+ Billion he has in assets actually in his bankaccount(s).

Oh and Trapical spot on! :wink:

Most of that Mexican dudes' (I refuse to use his name, I think it's a joke...Seriously. A joke. Someone is kidding. That can't be a real name...) wealth isn't even material, it's electronic. He owns 39% of that company worth 30 some billion...That stock could crash right this very second and he could lose nearly every penny, amirite?

So, y'know...

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Okay, I have to point this out. They don't have that much money. Thats the amount their assets(companies, buildings, houses, etc.) and money together are worth.

Thankyou for pointing that out, I was starting to think nobody had a clue what they were talking about. He'd have barely any of that in comparison to the $50+ Billion he has in assets actually in his bankaccount(s).

Oh and Trapical spot on! :wink:

Yeah I know I was wanting to point that out as well. There's this misconception that people with like $50 billion dollars literally have that sitting in their bank accounts.

Bill Gates is probably the most charitable man on the planet, it's hard to find fault with someone so generous and altruistic.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

I think it's horrible that one person should have so much money, when so many others can't even afford food, housing or medical care.

Pretty awful world we live in really.

Totally agree. Those guys waste their money too, in frivolous things of all sorts, money they could be giving to people who can't even afford basic things.

2480+ total

I can hate MS fairly easily sometimes - but Bill Gates himself I tend to think of as another billionaire. Although unlike most of them he's not so hard-core "me me me" "mine mine mine" etc. Like perviously said, he's given so much away, and at the end of it all, his own kids would haven't enough to "still have to work" i believe was what Bill himself said about that arangement. I'd have to find the exact quote - but they're definately not getting showered with enough money to live off the intrest.

Right...so can someone explain to me why I should give a damn? :-k

You're on a PC right now, aren't you?

Yes, but why should I care if he isn't the richest guy anymore? I'm not seeing how his loss of status as "the richest man in America" is directly related to my life at the moment.

Yes, but why should I care if he isn't the richest guy anymore? I'm not seeing how his loss of status as "the richest man in America" is directly related to my life at the moment.

are jackass-style stunts, whether or not strOwez goes to the disco, etc. directly related to your life? you should realize that most of the things on this forum, or the news, are not directly related to your life.

and it was actually richest man in the world.

Cool.

It was said in gest. You should try lightening up a little.

This man has saved more lives than Mother Teresa and Ghandi combined.

You're comparing the ability to write a cheque to actually saving someones life?

He's done more than just write cheques, he's set up the largest charitable foundation in the world, he's also announced his plans to phase out working day to day at Mircosoft so he can devote more time to the charity.

I'd much rather have Gates than those pretenders Teresa and to a lesser extent, Ghandi.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

that is how much money they have in terms of shares, they companies are worth far more, in fact just last year I read that google was worth over 100billion, which is probably twice as much now.

Its kinda weird to think that Bill Gates and the guy that overtook him could give every single person in world more than ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã10 each

yeah, one of them should consider that :uhh: better yet, if they divided the money strictly between 3rd world countries, then each person who actually needs money would get around $15 instead \'

$15 is less than ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã10 more like ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã20 per third world citizen.

then you are confused, because bill gates has 60B USD not pounds.

You're comparing the ability to write a cheque to actually saving someones life?

Ah yes, and who has killed more people. Hitler or a front line German WW2 soldier?

2003676992682512083_rs.jpg

Ah yes, and who has killed more people. Hitler or a front line German WW2 soldier?

exactly, someone else made a similar statement one the first page. You would do a lot more good by signing a $100 million dollar check for malaria than jumping in a lake and saving some kids life, it's pure logic. Why do you have to jump on the subway tracks just to be respected as a life saver?

exactly, someone else made a similar statement one the first page. You would do a lot more good by signing a $100 million dollar check for malaria than jumping in a lake and saving some kids life, it's pure logic. Why do you have to jump on the subway tracks just to be respected as a life saver?

Because there are plenty of things you can do to help with your time that could never be done with money. Mother Teresa didn't just give away all off her material possessions, she also actively strived to make the world a better place for the less fortunate. Once again I'm not saying that one is better that the other, but you can't say for certain that the millions (billions?) that Gates has donated has done more good than Mother Teresa or Gandhi.

What does bill gates in the number 2 spot have anything to do with him being on a computer? Are computers now less effective because he is no longer the richest man in the world or something?

Because one is heroism, the other is aid. It is alot harder to jump on tracks and save lives, that requires character, bravery, and a little bit of crazy. Of course, one persons life is nowhere near as valuable as an 100 million dollar check to save a millions [in my opinion, dont try to argue this with me please]. But everybody likes a hero, so they're going to get more publicity and respect..... for mabye 2 weeks?

happiehour.jpeg

Because there are plenty of things you can do to help with your time that could never be done with money. Mother Teresa didn't just give away all off her material possessions, she also actively strived to make the world a better place for the less fortunate. Once again I'm not saying that one is better that the other, but you can't say for certain that the millions (billions?) that Gates has donated has done more good than Mother Teresa or Gandhi.

Uh yes I can, it has done more, and it has saved more lives, also you are forgetting that he started the gates foundation, must be the largest charity in the world? which he is running, and he makes sure the money goes to the right people for the right things.

Because one is heroism, the other is aid. It is alot harder to jump on tracks and save lives, that requires character, bravery, and a little bit of crazy. Of course, one persons life is nowhere near as valuable as an 100 million dollar check to save a millions [in my opinion, dont try to argue this with me please]. But everybody likes a hero, so they're going to get more publicity and respect..... for mabye 2 weeks?
what are you trying to say here? what is your point? that its good to have a hero? sure w/e, but what were you trying to prove to me with that post?