Bill Gates looses richest status

malo2

This man has saved more lives than Mother Teresa and Ghandi combined.

You're comparing the ability to write a cheque to actually saving someones life?

Ah yes, and who has killed more people. Hitler or a front line German WW2 soldier?

exactly, someone else made a similar statement one the first page. You would do a lot more good by signing a $100 million dollar check for malaria than jumping in a lake and saving some kids life, it's pure logic. Why do you have to jump on the subway tracks just to be respected as a life saver?

Because there are plenty of things you can do to help with your time that could never be done with money. Mother Teresa didn't just give away all off her material possessions, she also actively strived to make the world a better place for the less fortunate. Once again I'm not saying that one is better that the other, but you can't say for certain that the millions (billions?) that Gates has donated has done more good than Mother Teresa or Gandhi.

Uh yes I can, it has done more, and it has saved more lives, also you are forgetting that he started the gates foundation, must be the largest charity in the world? which he is running, and he makes sure the money goes to the right people for the right things.

Can you prove to me that Gate's money has saved more lives than the direct impact of Gandhi's civil disobedience? No you can't, so I suggest you stop saying that it has.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, it isnt fair to compare Gates and Gandhi/Mother Teresa, being that each of the reasons they're known for is extremely different. But on the matter of which one has done more for the world, it would most definitely be the latter.

Even though Gates has donated billions, and yes, through raw numbers may have saved or helped far more, it wasn't on the level of self-sacrifice that Gandhi or Mother Teresa lived on. They gave their entire lives away, dedicated to the betterment of the world. To contrast, Gates has also made a big difference, but he hasn't worked his life toward an altruistic life. Gates is just a lucky man, who was at the right place at the right time, with the right people. If it wasn't for circumstance, i doubt he would have actually helped anybody at all (to be realistic).

Not to say he hasn't done big and great things. He has, and more than I have done. But it isn't right to say he has done more by donating billions than other great people who slaved away to make the world a better place.

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

Because one is heroism, the other is aid. It is alot harder to jump on tracks and save lives, that requires character, bravery, and a little bit of crazy. Of course, one persons life is nowhere near as valuable as an 100 million dollar check to save a millions [in my opinion, dont try to argue this with me please]. But everybody likes a hero, so they're going to get more publicity and respect..... for mabye 2 weeks?
what are you trying to say here? what is your point? that its good to have a hero? sure w/e, but what were you trying to prove to me with that post?

I felt that you implied that signing a check = jumping on a subway track to + 1000 lives. Mabye you didnt imply that, but its not the same thing. Thats my point.

happiehour.jpeg

In a couple months Bill Gates will most likely be richest man again. :uhh: :ohnoes:

Yeah, it fluctuates some. I know not too long ago (maybe a few years) the CEO of Oracle was richer than him for a while.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

You're comparing the ability to write a cheque to actually saving someones life?

He's done more than just write cheques, he's set up the largest charitable foundation in the world, he's also announced his plans to phase out working day to day at Mircosoft so he can devote more time to the charity.

I'd much rather have Gates than those pretenders Teresa and to a lesser extent, Ghandi.

Pretenders? :lol:

Tell me, how can "setting up a charity" be better than devoting your life to actually helping people. Did it ever occur to you that Ghandi and Teresa weren't the richest people in the world? Think about it, they were willing to donate everything they had to helping other people, if they had Gates' money you're saying they wouldn't help more than him?

Ah yes, and who has killed more people. Hitler or a front line German WW2 soldier?

Hitler fought on the frontline in the First World War.

He's done more than just write cheques, he's set up the largest charitable foundation in the world, he's also announced his plans to phase out working day to day at Mircosoft so he can devote more time to the charity.

I'd much rather have Gates than those pretenders Teresa and to a lesser extent, Ghandi.

Pretenders? :lol:

Tell me, how can "setting up a charity" be better than devoting your life to actually helping people. Did it ever occur to you that Ghandi and Teresa weren't the richest people in the world? Think about it, they were willing to donate everything they had to helping other people, if they had Gates' money you're saying they wouldn't help more than him?

Yeah, pretenders. I'm assuming that you're judging Teresa by her reputation, not her actual actions? Teresa was pretty much an old hag who hid behind the pretence of missionary work to try and convert as many people to religion as possible. She never did anything to try and alleviate the poverty people lived in, encouraging the poor to embrace their poverty. A particularly memorable quote from her Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech was that "abortion is the greatest destroyer of peace today" which is frankly laughable. She also generally didn't treat children under her care very much. She hid behind the guise of a saint to try and spread her particular brand of Catholicism, and opened convents in 150 countries instead of using the donated money to open a teaching hospital. She also accepted donations from third world dictators and several people later accused of fraud and racketering. Yeah, some 'saint'.

Ghandi should get some credit for attempting to abolish the unfair Caste system, and his general pacifism was on the surface, noble, but he did sometimes use violence when it suited him, and generally wanted India to return to a prmitive, tribal village state. He generally despised modern technology, and millions would have starved to death needlessly if his advice had been followed (he promoted old fashioned farming techniques which wouldn't have been able to support the population). He made power sharing with Muslims deliberately hard, and when the Japanese Imperialists were knocking on India's door he abandoned the political process and simply told the British to "Quit India" and leave it to "God or anarchy". His shambolic legacy lives on to this day where bloodshed in Bangladesh and the threat of thermonuclear war in Kashmir looms.

So yeah, give me Bill Gates anyday.

Hitler fought on the frontline in the First World War.

Well done for missing the point.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Could you just try (for once) to look at the other side of the coin, because it sounds like you've been reading the Da Vinci Code too much because you're so negative to Religion for someone that sounds like he has never experienced it. I'm not getting into a "debate" with you over who is more "charitable" than the other because that is just pathetic and is seperated by a thing called context. Just because you can reel off wikipedia to me doesn't mean your opinion counts as God.

Actually I didn't miss the point, I just replied in reference to his analogy.

Could you just try (for once) to look at the other side of the coin, because it sounds like you've been reading the Da Vinci Code too much because you're so negative to Religion for someone that sounds like he has never experienced it. I'm not getting into a "debate" with you over who is more "charitable" than the other because that is just pathetic and is seperated by a thing called context. Just because you can reel off wikipedia to me doesn't mean your opinion counts as God.

Actually I didn't miss the point, I just replied in reference to his analogy.

You know, i'm glad that you're not taking my opinions as literal truth because they're opinions and they shouldn't be just taken like that as fact. But the point is not that i'm anti-religion, that's nothing to do with it, i'm just showing that two people who're normally revered in western society as examples of altruism and saintlyhood when examined closely actually aren't. And my sources were actually a couple of books, but whatever, clearly you don't like me backing it up with facts so just dismiss it as reeling off wikipedia. And don't even try and associate that piece of literarery trash the Da Vinci Code with me, it has had no influence whatsoever on my views. On the contrary, I was the one who considered the other side of the coin when criticising (although the motivation for the criticism was not mine) two people normally thought of as perfect moral examples.

trapical's point was that the actions of one person higher up in authority can have more effect on the outcome than actually committing the act yourself. And you respond with something about Hitler fighting in WWI, which has little relevance to the point.

I think it's horrible that one person should have so much money, when so many others can't even afford food, housing or medical care.

Pretty awful world we live in really.

Spare us..

- Only character in Runescape History maxed out in RSC and RS2

x843.png

I think it's horrible that one person should have so much money, when so many others can't even afford food, housing or medical care.

Communism ftw? Nah, that's what's great about the U.S. Someone will obviously say "that's terrible", or something along those lines, but it's not. Capitalism is so great because you are only worth what you can do. If you don't want to do something, you don't get the benefits. If you take risks, you may lose it all, but you may end up like Carlos Slim.

Again, someone will argue that he had many more chances then any man on the street, but he only got that way because he took chances. And this is beside the fact that many people are homeless or unable to afford things because of some type of addiction or compulsion[drugs, alcohol, gambling, women(you know what I mean)].

asigthegodofsoupzz0.gif

The spelling and grammar of that email was that of an 11 year old palestinian goatboy who is speaking english for the first time
Quite simply, Facebook craps on Myspace. Then makes it eat the crap.

Well, looks like that Bill Gates isn't #1 on the real-life wealth hiscores, eh?

If Gates were Zezima, then Slim would be N0valyfe. :D

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

If you put bill gates and that other person. they are not as rich as the Walton family. They are...to some peop[le the richest family in the world.

And the cavemen wondered how to make fire...

Im in the .00001% that finds Firemaking fun. If you find it fun add this to your siggy.

blaster909.gif

Blaster909.gif

Right...so can someone explain to me why I should give a damn? :-k

You're on a PC right now, aren't you?

What does bill gates in the number 2 spot have anything to do with him being on a computer? Are computers now less effective because he is no longer the richest man in the world or something?

exactly, someone else made a similar statement one the first page. You would do a lot more good by signing a $100 million dollar check for malaria than jumping in a lake and saving some kids life, it's pure logic. Why do you have to jump on the subway tracks just to be respected as a life saver?

Because one is heroism, the other is aid. It is alot harder to jump on tracks and save lives, that requires character, bravery, and a little bit of crazy. Of course, one persons life is nowhere near as valuable as an 100 million dollar check to save a millions [in my opinion, dont try to argue this with me please]. But everybody likes a hero, so they're going to get more publicity and respect..... for mabye 2 weeks?

Well the singning of a chek is basicly getting a other person to be the hero for you. So if everybody would just donate and nobody would be there hero nothing would happen. It doesn't takes money to save lives it takes people willing to make it happen ( the need for money is because not everbody wil do it for free (the factory wants money for the medicine but the doctor might not want money, so if the factory doesn't wants money for the medicine the giving money to charity wouldn't be needed. and no the factory does not need money to make medicine, it needs stuf, but if the stuff was given away it would not need money. so on and so on

Most of that Mexican dudes' (I refuse to use his name, I think it's a joke...Seriously. A joke. Someone is kidding. That can't be a real name...) wealth isn't even material, it's electronic. He owns 39% of that company worth 30 some billion...That stock could crash right this very second and he could lose nearly every penny, amirite?

So, y'know...

You're right though its all based on assets anyway. The same thing could happen with Gate's shares and ownership in Microsoft. Correct?

@ Assassin: Mother Teresa did more than Gates has done under the circumstances she was living in. Gates has it a lot easier with all the money he has to help others and doesn't actually have to do the "work" himself. Teresa devoted her life to helping others, something Gates hasn't yet done. You only have to look at her selfless attitude which she had to realize this.

@ Assassin: Mother Teresa did more than Gates has done under the circumstances she was living in. Gates has it a lot easier with all the money he has to help others and doesn't actually have to do the "work" himself. Teresa devoted her life to helping others, something Gates hasn't yet done. You only have to look at her selfless attitude which she had to realize this.

Read my reply to Striker. I'm not saying that she lived in luxury or slacked off, i'm saying there's a perceived western image of her being a saintly figure, when actually she just tried to convert as many people to her religion as possible and spent more money on this than trying to alleviate the poverty of others. Clearly, she was very industrious, but not in a way that i'd say was an exemplary of high moral standards.

As trapical said, Gates' charity has saved literally thousands, if not millions of lives with no ulterior motive. Teresa inevitably saved lives, but her ultimate motives lay elsewhere.

haha serves that rich ...(many swear words)... hes annoying
uh in case you don't know, he has donated over a billion to charities worldwide, and generally revolutionized the computers most people are using today. What have you done that makes you better than him?

^ what he said :XD:

Shutup.jpg

Golden Sun= the best game ever made?

Farming and construction are dumb. I am proud to have level 1 in both.

How to write very bad guides (B3$7 3\/4R!!!!1)

To carry on with that point it dosent matter how much you give really ...its the intention in which you give it

Still Bill Gates in a very generous man

You couldn't have said anything any truer.

Bill Gates has Donated the equivalent of Donald Trump's networth to an AIDS charity. Yes, it is not right for anyone to have more than what is needed to live. THat is the thing I do not understand about those that are "Rich" They have millions of dollars, yet most do not whole-heartedly do any good in the world. They just sit on their millions of dollars, much of which will never be used.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

They can sit on their millions because they have earned it. And if they donate it to somebody or not is totally up to them. And there is nothing unfair in that. It's just how the things work and will work until the end of world.

I know i might get flamed for this, and the people who do flame me for what im about to say have every right to but...

Everyone who complains about Bill Gates' amount of money is a hippie. He built his fortune up, he isnt some 20 year old prostitute who inherited it all (you can probably guess who that is #-o ), so i think Bill Gates has a well-earnt fortune, and anyway, he donated giant amounts of money to charity.

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

millions is chump change tio him.

he literally has enough money to feed, and house the whole world for a year

No, he really doesn't...

Think of 6 billion people living in the world... (Less then currently I think)

And let's say he has 60 billion dollars (More than he has)

that means everybody gets 10 dollars a year.

Can you live off of 10 a year? Do a BIT of math next time...

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

Heh, kind of ironic that mexico has a richer person than the US, consider the immigration issues between the two countries :lol:

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

I haven't read all the comments, but I'm fairly certain Bill Gates is forced to donate by the government...

Womzoomed-1.gif

What has become of the runescape community???? :wall:

There is a community?