Seek God in need...

TotalTalker

Are you purposoly trying to start a flame war.

Give me an explanation for this:

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?p=493 ... t=#4933346

Lol at all the forum drama about mentioning a flamewar :lol: (that goes to everyone, not just the person I quoted).

Explanation for that is easy. First of all, I am guessing you are not old enough to drive and don't really know how hard it is to get started on slick roads. What most likely happened is your grandpa put on the gas, and the wheels started to spin, but didn't move. Then the truck came by. Over the years of telling it your devout parents embellished it, .5 of a second became 3 seconds, 18 wheeler (most semis) became a 24 wheeler (which don't go on streets), 25 miles/hour became 75 miles/hour. There's no way a semi would be moving anywhere near that fast on a street, on the expressway going 70 miles per hour those things are cooking pretty rough, they can't do much more than that.

No no. When he said he couldn't move, he meant for some reason he just couldn't move his body. He explained it later, and said that he knew he couldn't step on the gas, but didn't know why. And although it may have been a 18 wheeler, I know it was going at least 65.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No no. When he said he couldn't move, he meant for some reason he just couldn't move his body. He explained it later, and said that he knew he couldn't step on the gas, but didn't know why. And although it may have been a 18 wheeler, I know it was going at least 65.

Lol. Yup, definitely someone who hasn't driven before. Also apparently someone too young to know how much old people like to embellish stories.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

This happened when my granfather was about 35. He was an old person? And my mother told me this story when she was about 40. Was she old too? And I have driven.

Exaggerates as they get older. This happened what, 30 years ago? You know how vague that memory will be? It could very well be completely different now in their minds than how it actually happened.

Also, once you get more experience driving you will realize how impossible it was for a semi to be going that fast down a street.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

My goodness, this reminds me of Bruce Almighty.

I pray myself, being Christian. I havent had many moments in my life that were so desperate that i went on my knees and begged for divine help. Hopefully itll stay that way.

Ironic thing is, when things get tough, the options do not run out. In fact, the options are clear as they'll ever be, but we just dont want to accept them. By hoping for more/better options, we're hoping for a miracle, which for the most part doesn't happen.

Thus, i try my best not to panic, and just accept how things are going to be. Its not to say I wish things would be better. Believe me, ive gone through tough times, but thats where a person learns to forget and move on.

Life is a joke. Yeah, I don't get it either.

This happened when my granfather was about 35. He was an old person? And my mother told me this story when she was about 40. Was she old too? And I have driven.

Exaggerates as they get older. This happened what, 30 years ago? You know how vague that memory will be? It could very well be completely different now in their minds than how it actually happened.

Also, once you get more experience driving you will realize how impossible it was for a semi to be going that fast down a street.

If something like that happened to me, it defenitly would not be a vague memory. And how is it impossible for a semi to be going 60 on a highway? I'm pretty sure his breakes gave out, because he was skidded sideways a bit, and finaly flipped.

If something like that happened to me, it defenitly would not be a vague memory. And how is it impossible for a semi to be going 60 on a highway? I'm pretty sure his breakes gave out, because he was skidded sideways a bit, and finaly flipped.

You said it was on a street, with a street light. Now it is on a highway? See, your memory has changed within the past hour. Now think of how much it could change over 30 years.

I know I am not going to change your mind, you will still think that "god" had something to do with it. I would like to continue to instill doubt but it is my bed-time.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

You said it was on a street, with a street light. Now it is on a highway? See, your memory has changed within the past hour. Now think of how much it could change over 30 years.

I know I am not going to change your mind, you will still think that "god" had something to do with it. I would like to continue to instill doubt but it is my bed-time.

They have trafic lights on highways when you go through towns... They lights are usualy green for people traveling on the highway, but they turn red sometimes for cross trafic. My mom was the cross trafic, and they were waiting for the light to turn green. Maybe it's called a parkway. I dont know. I live in california, and all we have is freeways. (But the story did take place in New Jersey)

Whenever I pray, which isn't very often, mainly when I'm pretty upset, I don't pray for a task to be completed, I just pray that I, and others feel better and the certain situation is resolved. Is someone (ie God) listening? I don't know but it makes me feel better and isn't harming anybody.

Prayers, as far as i know, aren't generally to get a task done but it is just people wanting to talk to someone or have someone listen and a sense of belief or semoething to happen.

Fair enough, although by tasks being completed I meant to encompass situations being resolved. Regardless, some people I know do pray for specific things to happen.

I'm not, in case people are misunderstanding this, questioning whether or not it's right to pray, or whether it works or not. I'm just telling the OP about some people's habits.

When I need a miracle I look in the mirror and tell myself to pull my f*cking finger out, because I know the only person who is going to perform the miracle IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m asking for, is me.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

No. I'm agnostic.

Nevertheless, when something bothers me, I do wander into a church sometimes and light a candle. I like the peace, quiet and 'out of this world' nature of the place and for me the candle symbolises the problem I'm having. It helps me contemplate things, stand still for while and figure them out. But the main actor in the whole is always me, me changing what I don't like, me figuring it out, not begging someone else or a god to do it for me.

When I need a miracle I look in the mirror and tell myself to pull my f*cking finger out, because I know the only person who is going to perform the miracle IÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢m asking for, is me.

Amen to that. :P

I do sometimes. They're never answered though.

If you think about it...Why WOULD God answer? He doesn't owe you anything. You're in debt to him, so what does he have to give you?

The popularity of any given religion today depends on the victories of the wars they fought in the past.

- Me!

Wouldn't you [cabbage] yourself literally if you were like "Dear god, help me"

"This is god speaking, have my spare change to catch the bus"

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

First of all, I am guessing you are not old enough to drive and don't really know how hard it is to get started on slick roads.

Getting started on slick roads is easy. Stopping on slick roads, on the other hand... :lol:

the russians are the best! Hands down!
Womzoomed-1.gif

I'm not really begging him/her/whateveritis to help me or something. I just get to myself and and tell 'him' or 'her' about it. And then I usually feel better and get over the problem.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Believing in a God gives you someone to shout and scream your heart out to. I'm not sure I believe in him any more but I feel he is a part of me, even if just a made up part. I'll ask God for help but not in the way that I expect any. I just do it out of a habit and it makes me feel a bit better.

ragenori9bosq4.gif

Thanks Venomai for this super sig and Kwimbob for the awesome avatar!

Seeing as how all religion is really sun worship, no.

Besides, if there really IS some invisible guy, who let the world become this awful, the guy who watches you in the shower, do you really want to ask HIM for help?

Part one. Watch it.

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

There is no meaning or truth in life but that which we create for ourselves.

40678187bv4.jpg

I'm not really begging him/her/whateveritis to help me or something. I just get to myself and and tell 'him' or 'her' about it. And then I usually feel better and get over the problem.

I know what you mean. I dont think that I have ever done this, but I think that it makes you feel better because you have now got it out, and someone now knows what you are going through.

I always feel at peace when I just 'let it go'

What I mean by this is to take a deep breath and just let life take its course, when you try to control it too much it has a negative effect (for me anyway)

As soon as I just let things take it's course and walk in to it, accepting it, things always go smoothly and I always run in to opportunities, luck, wealth and chances.

I guess that is kind of a God moment, I believe in something but I choose not to label it as anything.

So is that me trusting a higher force to lead me in the right direction, or me being lazy and letting things come to me? Who knows, all I know is that it works for me.

igoddessIsig.png

And an internet movie that makes even more impossible-to-verify claims than even Loose Change does is going to prove your point how?

Eh, the facts of the similarities between Horus and Jesus are pretty numerous, but that video's pretty lame overall :-w . I'd really love to find the sources for most of the points they made in that video, other than sources from other conspiracy theorists :lol: .

Oh, and just because the image of Christianity was stolen is no reason to jump to the conclusion that Jesus never existed. Sure, the guys who thought up the stuff for the religion were unimaginative whackos, but there's no doubt that he, or someone like him, did exist.

reaper, calm down on the Christianity hating just a tad. I'd guess your a rebellious teenager with fundamentalist Christian parents [insert snappy, slightly insulting and whitty anti-fundamentalist remark from Tigra], but you're being too close minded about this, and you're screaming a little loud. I may not believe in a supernatural being enough to pray to it in need, but there are always those times when one's in a bind, and they've got no shoulder to cry on, so they turn to something and ask for help in hopes that it will lift their spirits enough to get through the obstacle they need to overcome. It may be the spirit of a grandparent who loved and guided them, it may be the stars, it may be a stuffed animal, heck, it might be the toaster in the kitchen.

It's a natural response in humans to seek help in need, and when there's no one who can help one, they sometimes look above for aid and guidance. Or maybe the toaster. Everyone has their preference.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Besides, if there really IS some invisible guy, who let the world become this awful, the guy who watches you in the shower, do you really want to ask HIM for help?

I don't think god would be very impressed or interested at how you look in the shower. It's just us that are embarassed by it, while it doesn't matter at all.

2480+ total

I don't really "pray" in the commercial way, what I do is I say to myself what I want to happen over and over again to myself, believing that it will happen, or even better, that it already has happened.

Sounds funny, but works everytime.

99 Slayer since August 2007.