phpbb3

A forum software upgrade IS a good idea as it often contains bug and security fixes on top of new features. We will be upgrading to PhpBB3 (codename Olympus) once it goes gold. Meaning once it leaves the release candidate stage and is officially released. There are threads about "larger communities" using the release candidate for their forums but right now, it isn't a risk we'd like to take. It would take many hours to convert the database (and remove obsolete modifications, etc.) and we would like that to be done only when the software is finalized.

sithbridgeay2.jpg

well ya when when saphiraforums did it it had some very minor problems but they werent that bad but for a much larger comunity it may be a problem.

some advantages are: friends and foes, more moderator powers, notifying if some one has posted after you started your post(my favorite), subscribing and bookmarking topics, usergroups (thats a phpbb2 thing but this forum doesnt have them.), more color options and makes it easier to use, saving posts that you havent finished writing yet, bumping topics (even though its not going to happen here) and more.

heres a link to the site im talking about.see if you see anything different

http://www.saphiraforums.com/en/index.php

if you love eragon and eldest joinsaphiraforums

check my blog to sucess!(please ive gotten 2 posts in like 3 weeks)

some advantages are: friends and foes, more moderator powers, notifying if some one has posted after you started your post(my favorite), subscribing and bookmarking topics, usergroups (thats a phpbb2 thing but this forum doesnt have them.), more color options and makes it easier to use, saving posts that you havent finished writing yet, bumping topics (even though its not going to happen here) and more.

All of this is available for phpBB2 in various mods that can be installed or is already included in the default installation. There are also alot of mods and tweaks installed behind the scenes here that the users never see.

You can be sure the staff here are keeping a very close eye on how phpBB3 is coming along. They'll make sure to let us know when they feel its time to upgrade. :P

Guest ShadowClawe

Well, like Gem (I mean Jem!) said, theres not really much of a need to update it. I see it as fine, working perfectly, with close to no bugs.

the one thing i see a need for is the notifying if some one has posted after ytou started your post. its really useful espeacialy for such a busy cominity like this

The feature is already there. Check the 'notify me when a reply is posted' box when you post. You can also turn the feature on permanently in your profile settings.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

I like that, and completely agree. These fourms are great, one reason i stay active in Runescape, and there is no real problem with them, except the random lag that sometimes happens, but there hasn't been much since that last big lag that had the fourms slowed for an entire day.

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

Well, like Gem (I mean Jem!) said, theres not really much of a need to update it. I see it as fine, working perfectly, with close to no bugs.

no i mean if you start to post something and before you finish some one else posts abd you dont know it it notifies you.

As Jem said, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

And to go even further, if something is new and the admin's aren't used to it it would result in it being 'broken' ( or in other words it would be harder to operate because staff aren't used to it and would result in more downtime and less things working untill they are used to it.

Plus it adds extra sress and I certainly would wan't to be online 24/7 till I worked out how to use the new boards.

It's already been determined that we are upgrading to Olympus - once it is released. It contains many public and private/security-related updates as well. You'll still have the features you have now along with a lot of other handy ones. This isn't including the administration changes which I am looking forward to the most.

sithbridgeay2.jpg

A forum the size of tipit is hardly the best place as a test bed for beta software for the reasons already mentioned.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

We will be upgrading to PhpBB3 (codename Olympus) once it goes gold. Meaning once it leaves the release candidate stage and is officially released.
Oooo cool! Erm any kind of idea how long this will be? Even roughly?

We will be upgrading to PhpBB3 (codename Olympus) once it goes gold. Meaning once it leaves the release candidate stage and is officially released.
Not even the developers know that and if you ask them they will just tell you "when its ready"

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I checked the development yesterday and they are on their 3rd Gold Canidate. I guess there were a few small bugs, but they said if this one works, it'll be the gold. The release another canidate usually within two weeks of each other (very roughly).

3textsz2.png

< | Runehead | Learning Java Programming, Please PM Me Tips | Signature by Loaf2000 | >

As noted above by The Sith , this forum will eventually migrate over to phpBB3 .

Its a much more efficient system , makes a lot better use of query caching, is almost 100% class based , etc etc.

As comfortable as I am with v.2 , eventually it will lose support and be overrun by exploits that are yet to be found, much like Windows 9x is now.

But , even after it goes gold , its going to be a short while before we ever try to make the change as we store a lot of custom data that will need to be integrated into the system first.

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

What are the advantages of it, as someone else said?

Its a much more efficient system , makes a lot better use of query caching, is almost 100% class based , etc etc.

On top of some simple research via the phpbb website. Some of the "What's new" stuff was previously available via MODs, but will now be officially part of the system, on top of the other additions and improvements they've made.

I didn't see anything that would immediately bring me over to 3.0, but I will move over. *drools at mulitple pm recipients*

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

I didn't see anything that would immediately bring me over to 3.0, but I will move over. *drools at mulitple pm recipients*
Their revamped template system was enough to make me switch. I love it, although it will take some time to get used to, it's a dream.

What are the advantages of it, as someone else said?

On top of some simple research via the phpbb website. Some of the "What's new" stuff was previously available via MODs, but will now be officially part of the system, on top of the other additions and improvements they've made.

i looked at that but a lot of it is already available like reporting posts and warning members and subcribing topics, but yeah there is some phpbb3 on it. you can check the forum on my sig, its on phpbb3, see if you can see some differences (although you ownt be able to see most since you will be a guest.)

i looked at that but a lot of it is already available like reporting posts and warning members and subcribing topics, but yeah there is some phpbb3 on it. you can check the forum on my sig, its on phpbb3, see if you can see some differences (although you ownt be able to see most since you will be a guest.)

Reporting posts and warning users were available as MODs, meaning you install them and deal with them on your own. phpBB3 integrates them into the project, making it more reliable and better supported (if something breaks, you don't wait months for the MOD author to fix it). Features that people want getting integrated into the official system is much better than someone possibly breaking their forum using a MOD. As Albosky and rick have said, there are also a lot of backend improvements that make it much better from the administrative side.

I also don't need to check a random forum in your sig to know whats going on with Olympus. I've been playing with my own copy off and on since the early beta releases. Admin access to your own copy is much better than some random guest login that limits you to viewing things. :mrgreen: