I'm starting High School Yikes!

Lemeja

ha, I'll be a junior next year and let me tell you my freshman year was like 500 times better than last year.

Really? For me it goes/went like this in descending order of difficulty:

Junior year.

Freshmen year.

Senior year.

Sophmore year.

Freshmen year takes a lot of adjustment (going to a college prep school, it's harder. Had two tests on my first day of school), and the school seems to have a philosophy of getting the students into the level of difficulty of college early on, so the workload hits you hard for the entire first quarter.

Sophmore year is only barely easier than Freshmen year, but because we're used to the school's level of difficulty, it's fairly laid back. The teachers still give you some leeway for mistakes, etc.

Junior year is impossible to survive without having some schoolwork-related mental breakdown, and that's without including preping and taking the SAT's and ACT's.

Senior year, schoolwork wise, is as hard as you want it to be- it's by far the most open when it comes to making your schedule. The teachers have no mercy for mistakes, and treat you like an adult 100% of the time, and of course they make all work college level or higher. But the classes are generally fun stuff that you signed up for because you were actually interested in them. My hardest classes next year are AP Physics and BC Calc, but I love math and science. My religion classes are World Religions and Meditation, both of which interest me greatly. I've already had the English teachers teaching my english electives before (one of whom is the school team's Varsity soccer coach, so I know him even better), and I'm taking a Java class for fun. Add that to the fact that I start school at 9AM since my free bell is first period, and you've got a fun year, even with all the rigor involved :) .

Okay, okay, tangent over, just pointing out a difference with the quoted post :P (and being...uh, sort of on topicish).

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'll just say this. Try your best in school and study for everything. And don't take lots of APs if you can't handle them. Or if you are too lazy. I, unfortunately, took 7 APs in my sophmore and junior year, and although I thought I had the resolve to study for them and do the homework, I did not. So just make SURE that you can handle the classes you take.

Homework, at least for me, was almost non-existent. I set aside a 10 minute period during my ride to school to do homework. If you don't like homework, take APs. My teachers never required homework. Homework was just practice for the AP test. In my other classes, I found the homework very easy, but there was a lot of it. Sometimes, it took me even 30 minutes to complete it. That said, you will probably have a different experience than me, I'm just sharing my experiences. If you absolutely hate homework, but think you are relatively smart, take AP/honors classes. If not, then take regular classes.

But believe me - finish ALL of your homwork. If you need to, study for all your tests. High school counts.

Teachers- most are relatively nice. They wouldn't be teaching if they didn't like kids right? But if you happen to encounter a bad one, you'd better go study on your own. And if you enouncter a mean one...well, stay out of his/her way lol.

Beatdown- Don't know what that it.

Getting lost- It really is not that hard, trust me. In less than a week, you'll remember where all your classes are.

mysig31ha.png

Depends. For me, the equivalent of 9th grade for you was the worse year of my life, so much work. However, 10th and 11th grades were very easy for me.

Pray to get relaxed teachers. It's all about the teachers, how much they decide to give you work.

2480+ total

I too am going into my freshman year, i am worried about the workload considering that I am taking all honors classes and skipping earth scince and going straightly to honors biology. I am worried that people with nothing better to do will pick on me or something maybe because i am kinda overweight, not fat or obese tho and i do exercies. Can't wait for Highschool band tho :boohoo: ! heard you don't have to practice.

My Music Is My Life

I love all of you

Hurt by the cold

So hard and lonely too

When you don't know yourself

Ok, I'll just say this. Try your best in school and study for everything. And don't take lots of APs if you can't handle them. Or if you are too lazy. I, unfortunately, took 7 APs in my sophmore and junior year, and although I thought I had the resolve to study for them and do the homework, I did not. So just make SURE that you can handle the classes you take.

Homework, at least for me, was almost non-existent. I set aside a 10 minute period during my ride to school to do homework. If you don't like homework, take APs. My teachers never required homework. Homework was just practice for the AP test. In my other classes, I found the homework very easy, but there was a lot of it. Sometimes, it took me even 30 minutes to complete it. That said, you will probably have a different experience than me, I'm just sharing my experiences. If you absolutely hate homework, but think you are relatively smart, take AP/honors classes. If not, then take regular classes.

That's... disturbing. Does your school pad grades too or something? And how the heck did you survive the AP test(s)?

No offense, but OP, don't take this advice. At my school, the only classes that were true hell were the AP courses; the workload, the grading, it's completely out of the regular classes' league. To think that a school wouldn't have homework in AP classes... let alone actually have upperclassmen with no homework, or so little that it can be done between classes... that's just wrong. Please, especially in at least matters of AP courses, don't take runecscape_rocks' advice.

And take every post here with a grain of salt, including my post about the varying difficulties of each grade level; each high school is different :P .

That's... disturbing. Does your school pad grades too or something? And how the heck did you survive the AP test(s)?

No offense, but OP, don't take this advice. At my school, the only classes that were true hell were the AP courses; the workload, the grading, it's completely out of the regular classes' league. To think that a school wouldn't have homework in AP classes... let alone actually have upperclassmen with no homework, or so little that it can be done between classes... that's just wrong. Please, especially in at least matters of AP courses, don't take runecscape_rocks' advice.

And take every post here with a grain of salt, including my post about the varying difficulties of each grade level; each high school is different :P .

Wow. You just hate me haha.

Anyways, can you explain your experiences with AP classes? Mine were relatively the same. Almost non-existent homework, harder tests and such. I didn't think they were taught badly or anything, since I passed all the AP tests I took.

mysig31ha.png

freshmen can be annoying but being one isn't that bad. IMO highschool is better than middle school

don't worry about, the freshman hunt is only if your annoying as hell. in that case wear a butt pad and avoid ppl with wooden paddles (especially the ones with thumbtacks)

F2PBlackWhite-H3%20all%20the%20way-Gibsocam.gif

clansiggywo2.png

I've been in highschool for 3 years now. It was quite hard for me settle in, being a foreigner and all. Being in England for only 2 months and beating the language barrier was tough, but being in highschool was great.

Now that I'm in Year 10, I look back now and I just want to say "Damn, I miss the days" I don't understand why the new highschoolers get beaten in some schools. In my school, all new starters were practically loved by the elders :P

Ultra Unholy,

Hearted Machine...

Well i'm goin to school the year after this, and im currently in a private school. so were poorer, and even though i excell i still can't do as good as public school kids because they have more room to succeed. what im worried about is my transition from private elementary school to a public high school, where they might demand much more out of me then i know. any help on this?

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Anyways, can you explain your experiences with AP classes? Mine were relatively the same. Almost non-existent homework, harder tests and such. I didn't think they were taught badly or anything, since I passed all the AP tests I took.

Lol, I don't hate you :P . I'm just surprised that anyone can say that they did very little if any homework in an AP class (okay, I hate you a little for having easy AP classes while mine were hell >_>).

And is it "passed" as in 3+, or 4's and 5's? What AP classes did you take, and if you're willing to disclose the information, what did you get on the tests?

Anyways, I had AP Latin and AP Bio, with highest level Math (BC Precalc) and high level English. For English the homework varied a lot, usually no more than an hour though. Always had at least 45 minutes of homework for Precalc. AP Latin was Hell on earth, with 1.5-2 hours of homework a night, and 5+ hour preping for each godforsaken test.

And Bio, well, Bio was weird. Plenty of homework though. Here's a day out of the homework assignment list (we got one weekly or biweekly):

-Read 671-675 & SG Section 37.1 and Critical Thinking Ques.

-Go online and click Ch. 37

--Gas Exchange Systems

---p.1 External Systems

---p.2 Moist Cuticle

---p.3 Gas Exchange comparisons

---p.4 Fish respiration

---p.5 Lung comparison

---p.6 Bird comparison

-Resp Sys 13 (worksheet)

-Go online and click Ch. 34

--Human Heart

---p.1 Dissected labeled heart

---p.2 Heart and Blood flow

---p.3 Heart Beat

---p.4 EKG

---p.6 Lub-Dub Sounds

-List the Path of Blood from Toe to Toe in your notebook - include the names of blood vessels you should know, different types of blood vessels, chambers of the heart, and valves of the heart (list was over a page long).

That's pretty much what most days were like :| . That may be a little light actually- some days we were told to read over 50 pages (and do 10 pages out of the Study Guide on them) out of a book that weighed like 20 pounds...

Lol, I don't hate you :P . I'm just surprised that anyone can say that they did very little if any homework in an AP class (okay, I hate you a little for having easy AP classes while mine were hell >_>).

And is it "passed" as in 3+, or 4's and 5's? What AP classes did you take, and if you're willing to disclose the information, what did you get on the tests?

Anyways, I had AP Latin and AP Bio, with highest level Math (BC Precalc) and high level English. For English the homework varied a lot, usually no more than an hour though. Always had at least 45 minutes of homework for Precalc. AP Latin was Hell on earth, with 1.5-2 hours of homework a night, and 5+ hour preping for each godforsaken test.

And Bio, well, Bio was weird. Plenty of homework though. Here's a day out of the homework assignment list (we got one weekly or biweekly):

Sophmore year I took AP Calc, Bio, European History. If I remember correctly, I got 5, 5, 4. The 4 was in European History. My teacher was a joke, didn't teach, didn't care, so I ended up playing poker and solving rubick's cubes for one whole year. Calc was simple. My teach gave us homework, but it wasn't mandatory so obviously I didn't do it. Bio my teacher was hardcore, but very good, and homework was required. It took me a good 10 minutes per day doing his work, which I completed in homeroom.

Junior year I took AP Physics Mechanics, AP Physics Electricity and Magnetism, Calc B/C, Computer Science. I got 4 in calc, mechanics and comp sci, and 3 in electricity. Very noob, I know, but I really slacked and didn't pay attention to anything in my class. Senioritis one term too soon lol. Again, never did homework in Physics, since nothing was required, but it was good practice and I'm sure if I did the homwork and listened in class, I would have gotten 5s. Calc as usual was simple. No mandatory hw. I skipped the whole calculator frq in on the AP test since I got bored, so that's probably why I got a 4. Comp sci I had no homework either. We actually had lots of hw, but they were just programs. I just got them from friends and stuff, so I never really had to do anything other than take the tests.

mysig31ha.png

I started the 20th and the first day sucked at the end. I'm not old enough to drive yet, so I rely on my father to pick me up still. I go out and nearly get hit by a car in the high school parking lot. I couldn't even find my father's vehicle. I circle the parking lot a few more times just incase and then go inside and call him. To my pleasant surprise, he doesn't even know where the damned high school parking lot is, despite how many times that I've shown him. So finally he just comes walking across the parking lot and shouts my name, which kind of embarrassed me.

Today wasn't so bad, but it could've been better.

My personal life schedule is now completely screwed up. I find it pressing just to do necessary things such as brushing my teeth at night, making up my bed in the morning, etc. All of the homework and everything else is really eliminating my free time. I have just been stressed out ever since school began. It doesn't help that I also have an "insanely hard" AP World History test at the end of the school year as well. Also people sexually stereotype me. *SIGH*

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Freshmen used to get whacked a LONG time ago. Don't worry.

Ahh, the good old days :D.

And those family guy episodes.

28u7f5g.jpg

danke Schon Sam!^^

"Blood runs thicker, oh were thick as thieves you know"

-Carl Barât

Sophmore year I took AP Calc, Bio, European History. If I remember correctly, I got 5, 5, 4. The 4 was in European History. My teacher was a joke, didn't teach, didn't care, so I ended up playing poker and solving rubick's cubes for one whole year. Calc was simple. My teach gave us homework, but it wasn't mandatory so obviously I didn't do it. Bio my teacher was hardcore, but very good, and homework was required. It took me a good 10 minutes per day doing his work, which I completed in homeroom.

Junior year I took AP Physics Mechanics, AP Physics Electricity and Magnetism, Calc B/C, Computer Science. I got 4 in calc, mechanics and comp sci, and 3 in electricity. Very noob, I know, but I really slacked and didn't pay attention to anything in my class. Senioritis one term too soon lol. Again, never did homework in Physics, since nothing was required, but it was good practice and I'm sure if I did the homwork and listened in class, I would have gotten 5s. Calc as usual was simple. No mandatory hw. I skipped the whole calculator frq in on the AP test since I got bored, so that's probably why I got a 4. Comp sci I had no homework either. We actually had lots of hw, but they were just programs. I just got them from friends and stuff, so I never really had to do anything other than take the tests.

That's... insane. You're either the smartest person I've ever known, or I'm missing something.

How did you get through all the information for Bio with only 10 minutes of homework (unless you never did labs...)? How did you survive the Euro test from that description of your year? And how does your system work so that the classes you're taking sophmore and junior year I can't even take until senior year o_O? (including math- are you in a class of high-level seniors for BC calc?)

And does your school have some policy of "some classes homework is mandatory, some it's just do whatever"? I've never had a class in my life where homework isn't mandatory. Sometimes teachers didn't check (like in AP Latin Virgil, but since we went over the lines in class our teacher could tell who did and didn't do the homework), but to have homework assigned that isn't mandatory? Uh... :uhh: .

Honestly, am I the only one on this thread baffled by this?

That's... insane. You're either the smartest person I've ever known, or I'm missing something.

How did you get through all the information for Bio with only 10 minutes of homework (unless you never did labs...)? How did you survive the Euro test from that description of your year? And how does your system work so that the classes you're taking sophmore and junior year I can't even take until senior year o_O? (including math- are you in a class of high-level seniors for BC calc?)

And does your school have some policy of "some classes homework is mandatory, some it's just do whatever"? I've never had a class in my life where homework isn't mandatory. Sometimes teachers didn't check (like in AP Latin Virgil, but since we went over the lines in class our teacher could tell who did and didn't do the homework), but to have homework assigned that isn't mandatory? Uh... :uhh: .

Honestly, am I the only one on this thread baffled by this?

To tell you the truth, all the hw I had in bio was these review of chapters, where there are lots of short answer questions. I never answered anything right, I just wrote down random stuff that looked like biology. My teacher goes through hundreds of them, so he didn't take the time to carefully read them. For the labs, I made stuff up. the stuff I made up was relatively logical though.

European test was a nightmare. If anyone took the 06 one, they know. for some reason, I was never really interested in history. I tried to memorize key things, but it just slipped out of my mind, something that rarely happens for me. I really don't know what happened. I suppose I did well on the DBQ and FRQ and totally bombed the mc.

mysig31ha.png

No need to worry about the "freshman hunt" or "fresh meat" thing, im a freshman and I don't have any problems(maybe thats because people think im a senor but thats not important =p) :oops:

Cube_by_Abfc.gif

untihf5.jpg

69827172ou0.jpg

When you mentioned the Dragon Plates I had a sudden vision of a load of gangsters running around in fancy dress yealling "Grim Reaper in da hood!"

It's really not that bad. There is this big 'Ima gonna die' image which goes around with Senior schools (High Schools) that is total rubbish - At least that was the case with my school :-X

initiation.

They're making the sophomore girls slide through pig intestines and rotten fish for initiation.

Some guy asked me if I wanted to get initiated, and I was like "Nah..." and he was like "*shrugs* Okay then."

Yes, the freshmen do not go to the high school. They are still at the junior high, yet they earn high school credits. I don't get it either.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I don't have the same school system as you, but for me school didn't become hard until the 4th year of high shcool. Before that it's the same as primary school but with more different teachers.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.