Is scamming scammers acceptable?

Hi9im8Here7

Everyone has a different view of what is acceptable and what is not. Asking if something is acceptable or not makes no sense, because nobody has the same notion of what is acceptable. Politicians often try to set the rules of what is acceptable, and what is not, but it is nonsense, it's just social rules. So if you ask, is scamming a scammer acceptable, either you add 'for you' at the end, either you are asking for a social etiquette responce, and well that's no fun, social etiquette is slavery.

2480+ total

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Example (WARNING: This example will go off-topic): If you're shot at twice, and you survive, does it make it right to shoot the person that shot you twice and possibly kill them?

That's irrelevant, if you are being shot at, your life is on the line. On the other hand, runescape items are worthless.

In both cases, the rules/laws have been broken by the first act (scam/first two shots fired) and in both cases the rules/laws have been broken again by the second act (reverse scam/final shot fired). It is a little more extreme but it is most definitely the same idea, and therefore relevant.

Off-topic: After four months' rehabilitation.
Ok, so after 4 months, that would never be classified as self defence. So Mico, would it be acceptable to shoot them 4 months later?

Everyone has a different view of what is acceptable and what is not. Asking if something is acceptable or not makes no sense, because nobody has the same notion of what is acceptable. Politicians often try to set the rules of what is acceptable, and what is not, but it is nonsense, it's just social rules. So if you ask, is scamming a scammer acceptable, either you add 'for you' at the end, either you are asking for a social etiquette responce, and well that's no fun, social etiquette is slavery.
It is clearly asking for your opinion in the matter, or it wouldn't be in the debate club, it would be in general discussion. It is hard to have a debate on something if you are looking solely at what the official rules would say about it.

That's irrelevant, if you are being shot at, your life is on the line. On the other hand, runescape items are worthless.

Actually, taking that 1 mil is $5, a partyhat can be sold for $2000. See, Rune Scape items are worth alot.

They're completely worthless to someone who doesn't rl trade. :P

Off-topic: After four months' rehabilitation.
Ok, so after 4 months, that would never be classified as self defence. So Mico, would it be acceptable to shoot them 4 months later?

Go ahead, but if you shoot him back later it' s murder, if you shoot him that day it' s self deffence, as long as you don' t shoot him in the back. That' s murder since he was

running away. But by the position of the body, we could see if he was running or walking, since if you shot him while he was walking he would just stumble, as in running he would fall forwards and maybe slide a bid, causing some scratches.

RSN:Mico1311 Combat: 82 Highest skill: Fishing 75 Playing time: From around August 2003

The guy in my avatar is Veso, a comedian mastermind.

I don't agree with scamming scammers, but I do agree with taking advantage of a potential scam. Like back the day when some idiot tried the old "Oh, whats this? 4 noted mystic tops in the wilderness :o " scam. I was made 4 mystic tops richer that day.

Madouge.png

Click the pic if you wanna see a Ranged Slayer blog.

It is acceptable but I wouldn't ever do it because they are little girls who report you probably......

But it's their just reward.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

you should be able to scam scammers! They scamed you its only fair. If not jagex should kick them. Jagex are to soft with the rules its like "oh u hacked someone, bada you ill just ban you for 2 days or stop you talking" its pathetic they should jsut ban them for life!

doc_bender.png

more bank space for non-members

I would submit the following quotes that apply to this:

"An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind." -Gandhi

"Two wrongs do not make a right."

I disagree that it is justifiable to say that you should scam other scammers. This will only increase the amount of scammers, and a "revenge scammer" (as you might call it) would eventually become so used to it that they would become a scammer themselves.

You could argue that the scammer would then lose money and then everyone is even, but it is unlikely that it would end there.

I've only been scammed once, and that is because people took advantage of my partial dyslexia.

If I ever was scammed, I would report, and move on. I figure it's my fault for being stupid to fall for it.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

I lost at least 1 mil from being scammed.

If i were to scam and get caught I would

lose 100+ mil and my char which I spent 2 yrs

lving.

This is why people create a new account, too bad Jagex doesn't ban all related accounts.

If you ban members who had scammed someone and create a new account then the new account would probably become a member. If the new account doesn't scam, it's all good but if it does scam then it can be banned again (after it has paid of course) and the process continues until the player just finally quits. :o

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

I don't think its acceptable based on the fact that it would be sinking to their level and more likely then not you'll get reported and punished for it. In my opinion it isn't worth the risk.

Pgkhqob.jpg

Proud Tip.It Moderator December 07 - October 2009
Proud TETAU Member 2006 - 2007 <3
"I had a standing agreement with god. I'd agree to believe in him, barely, so long as he let me sleep in on Sundays." - Rose Hathaway
[ Posting & You ] [ Forum Rules ] [ Next Tetau Event ]

Only in countries where there still is death penalty...

(or where they still follow Hammurapi laws)

Just shows how acrimonious or how developed in it's

mind of humanity and tolerance one is.

Hm, let's try to use a philosophical approach to this topic :D .

Using a few moral theories...

Utilitarianism (Maximum happiness):

- Yes, scamming the scammers should be acceptable.

- Most people don't like being scammed. (Even scammers don't like being scsammed themselves)

- However, the population of non-scammers is higher than scammers.

- Therefore, we should go with the non-scammers, and scam the scammers since it brings about maximum happiness.

Golden Rule (Do unto others what you want others to do to you):

- No, we shouldn't scam scammers.

- Other people definitely don't want you to scam them.

- So we shouldn't scam people?

... And this includes not scamming scammers?

Too lazy to type out others. Any comments?

Hm, let's try to use a philosophical approach to this topic :D .

Using a few moral theories...

Utilitarianism (Maximum happiness):

- Yes, scamming the scammers should be acceptable.

- Most people don't like being scammed. (Even scammers don't like being scsammed themselves)

- However, the population of non-scammers is higher than scammers.

- Therefore, we should go with the non-scammers, and scam the scammers since it brings about maximum happiness.

Golden Rule (Do unto others what you want others to do to you):

- No, we shouldn't scam scammers.

- Other people definitely don't want you to scam them.

- So we shouldn't scam people?

... And this includes not scamming scammers?

Too lazy to type out others. Any comments?

Golden Rule ftw.

Revenge often turns you into the person that you despise. I do not expect people to forgive everything done to them, however I do expect people not to be stupid or arrogant enough to take revenge. Most of the worst crimes commited today are done in revenge. I would always find an alternative other than revenge.

• 1 month later...

No it is not accpetable.

Scamming a scammer is scamming so that makes you a scammer. Therefore you could be reported as well as the original scammer makeing the situation just as bad.

If you get scammed report the perosn and hope he gets banned.

Alex_Ewan 1.png

Goals achieved: lvl 99 Cooking, Fishing and Fletching.

Surrey CC and Liverpool FC fan for life!