Is this bannable?

Yoko Kurama

Both me and my brother play Runescape.We have been for years. We both have our own accounts, we don't account share or anything.Up until a month ago we only had one computer(desktop), but now we also purchased a laptop. Both of our computers are connected on a wireless router so that's how they both have internet. Both me and my brother want to play together on runescape but the problem is that both of our computers have the same IP adress. If we both log on at the same time to play from our own accounts will we be banned?Will Jagex consider multiple log in since on their system all it will show is that two accounts are logged from the same ip.In the past some people have stated they got banned for playing with their family members on computers with same ip via routers.Though when I posted on the official runescape forums, siome players said we wouldn't be banned and so did some player and forums mods but no Jagex mods confirmed or anything. We haven't loged on together till now, we don't want to take a risk, so until we can confirm it we are not gonna log on together.

P.S:Me and brother both made new accounts to test if we could log in at the same time. Ans it worked but the ips were the same.So the problem isn't if we can both log on at the same time, the problem is that both comps have same ip. So far the two level 3 accounts haven't been banned or gotten any messages from Jagex , we tested this a week ago. Although we only did it once.. If someone could post an anser from a credible source such as a Jagex Mod it would be appreciated.

So the questtion is

If we both log on at the same time from our own accounts to play together will we be banned?Will Jagex consider this multiple log?

Some people play in internet cafe's which have the same IP and also schools. Unless jagex sees any unusual activity with trading and whatnot then you won't get banned.

Sn'C Events Team Member

2v2bjuq.jpg

pixel-sig-1.gif

942nd to 99 hunter 2/8/07|26,042nd to reach 99 fletching 27/10/07|Quest Cape Achieved 22/1/08|50,000th to 99 Cooking 29/10/08

Dagannoth King Drops: 7 Zerkers 2 Axes 3 Warriors | Armadyl: 1 hilt first ever trip and kill | Barrows: 2 Dharok Legs 1 Ahrim Skirt 1 Torag Helm 1 Guthan Spear

Each computer has it's own ip adress, the ip adress does not come from the internet.

You should be fine.

I checked various sites to check ips on both computers and they both show the same thing. And when I log on to runescape and log of and then log back in again it says you last logged in from _____ Ip. When I tried this with both computers both times the IP was the same.

Does anyone have contact with a J-Mod or can anyone ask a J Mod for me? Ddraiggoch06, I have heard some people have done and it have been fine for a long time but I don't want to take any chances. Both my account and my brother's are 5-6 years old. We have both worked hard and I would be seriosuily upset if something happened to them. The reason why I am so cautious is that many people have said they did get banned for this so I don't want to risk anything.

Jagex will not ban you for playing on your own accounts on a different computer. They will be able to trade between one another, and you should be able to play together.

I've traded stuff to my brother, and he has done the same for me. We've done a few quests together and stuff, and we're still around. We also use the same router, so the IP addresses are the exact same. So, I would say it's safe to do so.

[hide=Rule 8 Information]Rule 8 - Multiple Logging-In

Effective date: 16th January 2007

You may create more than one RuneScape account, but if you do, you may not log in more than one account at any time, and they must not interact with each other in any way. This includes 'drop trading' or any other method of item transfer.

Related Questions

Below are some related questions which may help you to further understand and follow this rule.

Why do we have this rule?

We have this rule to maintain a fair gaming experience. We donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t want RuneScape to become a game where everyone feels they need to use multiple accounts at once just to compete! ItÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s much better to team up with your friends.

Can I use third party software to log into an account for me while I am logging into another (so that I personally am only using one account)?

No, you may not use third party software to transfer items - see Rule 7.

I have two accounts. Can my friend play one so I can trade between the characters?

No, this goes against this rule. You are not allowed to trade between two characters owned by one player. You would also be in breach of the Account Sharing/Trading rule (see Rule 6).

Can I give items to another player from one of my accounts, so that they can then give the items to another character that I play?

No, this goes against the rule. You may not transfer items between your accounts in any way.

My brother and I both play from our own accounts in our house. Is it all right if we trade items?

Yes, this is not going against the rules of conduct providing you are both playing from two separate accounts created by each of you.

To keep RuneScape enjoyable for everyone please observe and follow this rule. We will not tolerate disruptive players, and if you break our rules your account is likely to be banned. Members who are banned for breaking our rules are not entitled to any sort of refund. [/hide]

Each computer has it's own ip adress, the ip adress does not come from the internet.

You should be fine.

yes, but not through a router, a router has its own set ip, which the 2 pc's run through.

@OP. me and my bro have been doing this for years, no ban yet, so you should be fine, and even if you did get banned, use appeal offence, explain the situation and theyll unban you.

bsmovies.png

I would say it is ok, but it's best to be on the safe side. Message Jagex, asking if you can both play, even though the IP is the same. State how the accounts are separate, and you play on separate computers, etc..

This way, if Jagex messages you back saying it is ok, then you have proof. This proof would be useful if you do for some odd reason happen to get banned for it. You can turn around, and have proof of the message, and hopefully save them from making a mistake.

Hope everything turns out for the best. ::'

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

My main concern really is that when I log on and go on to play with my brother , they aren't going to investigate or anything they might just bann us, I doubt they would do a thorough investigation when there are 5 milliom Rs players and only about some 300 Jagex Staff.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.I am not a member yet because of the whole router situation.I don't to subscribe and not be able to play with my bro or anything. I have a favour, can some post on the following thread:

Quick find code: 23-24-673-51851343

And post and ask my question. A Jagex moderator has been answering all questions on this thread and although he is gone on a holiday atm, I am hoping another moderator will answer the question, despite the title it is a question thread. It would be really appreciated since I myself can't post yet.

You should be fine.

Wrong, all computers connected to a router will have the same external IP address. However I believe the applet can detect the internal IP or MAC address to distinguish the different computers.

Final answer, no you will not be banned.

- Dan

You should be fine.

Wrong, all computers connected to a router will have the same external IP address. However I believe the applet can detect the internal IP or MAC address to distinguish the different computers.

Final answer, no you will not be banned.

And just to confirm you are 100% sure about this?

You should be fine.

yes, but not through a router, a router has its own set ip, which the 2 pc's run through.

@OP. me and my bro have been doing this for years, no ban yet, so you should be fine, and even if you did get banned, use appeal offence, explain the situation and theyll unban you.

oooh, right. my bad :P

99 attack-34,104th to 99 attack.

spirittrack.png

A_Spirit_God.png

They'd probably only ban you if you guys trade large amounts of items/money to one another. That would make u look like the same guy ownz the account.

You mostr likely won't be banned.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

They'd probably only ban you if you guys trade large amounts of items/money to one another. That would make u look like the same guy ownz the account.

You mostr likely [/b]won't be banned.

Yea, and just as long as the trades are balanced, no problems should arise. Hopefully.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

If it was bannable then you both would not be able to log on as it has a system that automatically detects and prevents multiple accounts from being logged on the same server from the same source.

It is quite legal however what you are doing. Also you are allowed to have multiple instances of RuneScape running with different accounts, each on a different server. As long as there is no interaction between the accounts.

This means no having a mediator/friend/middleman to trade with your accounts.

So no worries. Even if you both were to get banned. Eh, it is only a game (that we put time into...).

Have a nice day and remember. If something seems to be unobtainable then have someone else get it for you.

you are completly safe beacause JaGeX does not actualy track accounts via IP. There is a downloaded component on your computer that stops you from multilogging, not the IP.

It is a common misconception that JaGeX tracks via IP, they use other statistics such as home world and speed of mouse movement(that might be confidential), so they can tell that you and your bro are different people :) .

,,..-~`ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâï\ Happy Mining /ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâï`~-..,,

|______.\goldhawk co/.______|

when i bought my computer about a year ago, same problem. I thought we would both be banned. I messaged Jagex, and they said it was fine.

So, you also should be fine, unless you start giving your brother millions of gp for no apparent reason.

99 Fletching 99 Attack 99 Constitution 99 Cooking 99 Strength

Gamertag: H8tebringer

h8tebringer-siggy-bloodskull-1.jpg

you are completly safe beacause JaGeX does not actualy track accounts via IP. There is a downloaded component on your computer that stops you from multilogging, not the IP.

It is a common misconception that JaGeX tracks via IP, they use other statistics such as home world and speed of mouse movement(that might be confidential), so they can tell that you and your bro are different people :) .

People can actually multi log in if they use Usigned Jave applet, so Jagex might think we are doing that when we play together. And by the way just yesterday a J-Mod said that you are responsible for anything that happens on your IP which means they do actually keep track of IPs I sent in a message to Jagex on Saturday asking if me and my bro both log on and play together will we be banned. I have yet to receive a reply. Considering it's a f2p file I don't know how long it will take..If someone could make a thread on the official rs forums and ask this very question, I would be truly grateful. I can't post yet becase I am not a member.

That thing then you play from same IP is very normal, a lot of universities (more then 500 people) sometimes use same IP adresses, same is schools or internet cafe's then you can be sure then nobody ban you for that, just read accurate this Jagex rule and you understand what is abuse of this rule:

Jagex rule 8

Suggestion: You can use Anchor on Waterfiends - is cheap if to compare to GS & effective with crush attack & it hit like Whip.

Maitvanagis.gif

Visit my exp track

The IP will be the same but Jagex can tell it's a different PC. When you log in look at the top, it says last connected from "IP-PC Address". On mine it picks up my network name which cannot be the same on the same network.

Also you are allowed to play on the same world with your brother and trade him. Just don't give him 10mil for free as that looks suspicious.

cat_sabbath.png

Trust the Gene Genie!

The IP will be the same but Jagex can tell it's a different PC. When you log in look at the top, it says last connected from "IP-PC Address". On mine it picks up my network name which cannot be the same on the same network.

Also you are allowed to play on the same world with your brother and trade him. Just don't give him 10mil for free as that looks suspicious.

Even the computers on my router/network have different names, whenever I log on all it says on the top is my IP, nothing more. I am still waiting for my reply from Jagex but I asked the question on a freshly made F2p account so I don't know if I will get a response. On top of that I only got to use 400 characters to explain the situation and ask the question and that only got me about 4 lines worth of "characters". I am still hoping someone can just post this question on the Rs forums.