Tip.it Times Presents: Reasons to hate Jagex!

MPM

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They added the animation when you string (u)bow. That's slow down the fletching process.. With it, less player will fletch: less player will buy string/logs. Which will result in a drop of the price of logs and strings

---

i didn't think it slowed down at all, they just added an animation to show you not doing nothing imo :)

Zaroterasu.png

This is one thing I hate about Jagex... They don't give F2P players new quests :!: :!: :!:

:arrow: This one game (two, actually), it's not much of an online game. And has worse graphics than runescape and it's turn-based and it's not 3D but WAAAY better than Runescape. It has P2P features also but at least, it releases new skills or quests or even classes for F2P also, and sometimes new equipment! And events EVERYDAY for EVERYONE. Well, almost everyday but quite often!

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not saving my money for ANYTHING... I just.. You know... Can't afford a lot of stuff.... Correct me if i'm wrong....

Can't touch this..... mmmmmmmm can't touch this...mmmmmmmm.... HAMMER TIME!

Only that is it really many ones who hate Jagex? Maybe we just notice only those a few ones who rant and not notice a few ones who thank Jagex as they don't annoy?

I understand sometimes rants are argumented, like why once in a while they realease new ways to gain xp extremely fast compared to previous times, can't say that game being less challenging is fun (which is also only my opinion). Or when they released new female outlook 2,5 years ago, which looked a bit unappropriate for game which is not only for adults.

But how to deal with other things, develop game in other points and dealing wih problems. Hard to belive that any player can make up perfect solutions for their problems with 5 minutes, which Jagex has worked out with years and know how one things efects all the others related to it.

Personally I'm almost always happy with how Jagex deals with problems and effort they put in keeping the game society in order (which I belive most of other games don't do that well).

Well written! =D>

Only that is it really many ones who hate Jagex? Maybe we just notice only those a few ones who rant and not notice a few ones who thank Jagex as they don't annoy?

Again, most people don't "hate" Jagex. Hate is a pretty strong emotion.

A lot of people have valid complaints, though.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Again, most people don't "hate" Jagex. Hate is a pretty strong emotion.

A lot of people have valid complaints, though.

Suppose you didn't read the article (its title), word "hate" is used in figurative meaning in it.

Suppose you didn't read the article (its title), word "hate" is used in figurative meaning in it.

I did read it, and my point is that it is being used "figuratively" to mock people who really have very valid complaints.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I did read it, and my point is that it is being used "figuratively" to mock people who really have very valid complaints.

Just give up, Charles... This community is bent on sticking their heads in the sand and blindly believing that Big Brother (Jagex) is looking out for their best interests. It's futile trying to convince them otherwise.

td2sig.jpg

Exactly.

The few latest tip.it articles make it sound like the only educated and intelligent opinion is to love Jagex, no matter what they do. Gullible individuals pick up on it, and change their opinions to fit accordingly, it's quite pathetic if you ask me.

Nobody knows Jagex's intentions, except Jagex. I just love it when some articles make some claims about Jagex intentions, while they obviously have no idea.

The shop update hurt both players and bots. I think it's fine, if it was the only way to get rid of shop botters. But, for the time being, the problem is simply moved. Instead of shop buying, the bots will essence mine, or woodcut. The shop update will only become useful when other forms of botting are eleminated. And Jagex better get at it, it's taking them long enough already. How many years will it take?

7320.jpg

7753.gif

Maybe it's just me, but every editorial on Tip.It of late seems to be devoted to kissing up to and defending Jagex. Not only that, but often going so far as to belittle those who criticize the company. This one isn't as bad as the previous one, but on the whole, the trend is disturbing.

It really makes the site seem like it is both unsympathetic to valid complaints, and lacking in objectivity/independence.

You said it! I don't have an issue with the shop update, in fact I love it as I have not loved anything since they made bank notes but the tone of many articles are too unbalanced on the side of Jagex. Jagex is the game maker who makes millions off us players. They are *not* in any possible way the underdog here.

An RS community site like Tip It should position itself more on the community...meaning the players not on the side of the game company. They already have all the power in the game, it's the players who are powerless.

It's not that surprising that a fansite has people posting on it who like the company that made the game :-) Of course, we're here because we're interested in RuneScape, not for Jagex themselves, but there's going to be some overlap.

My article argues against certain criticisms of Jagex that I see a lot on forums. I don't believe for a moment that Jagex should be immune to criticism on any other grounds, or that the only "educated" viewpoint is to defend them.

there's been a fairly strong negative feeling around the game

No there isn't. When I played right after the update, everyone loved it. No one has complained about it in game either (including clan chat) that I heard so how is there a strong negative feeling? RSOF maybe, but RSOF rant posters are only a few hundreds (a tiny, tiny fraction of RS players).

It's had severe negative effects

LOL? Like how? Basic gameplay is unaffected negatively apart from the very minor battlestaves thing, which I would say less than 1% of RS even uses.

Instead they took the time and trouble to have a go at fixing a very real problem in the game.

Oh dear lord so now we are to say kudos for them doing their job? Oh look, the janitor mopped up the floor, quick praise him because he would still be paid even if he never mopped it. Getting rid of bots is not an extra feature Jagex did on their free time out of the goodness of thier hearts.

RS is a business. They are *paid* to keep it enjoyable for players. Having bots take up all the stock of runes, arrows, vials and whatnot is not in the best interests of the game, so Jagex cleaned it up. :wall:

I feel that this article misses the point entirely. There is much that is good about Jagex but making updates to improve gameplay is a simply what every game company does if they want to stay in business. Every game developer bans autoers and cheaters, it's not in any way unusual for Jagex to take steps against cheaters.

This is one thing I hate about Jagex... They don't give F2P players new quests :!: :!: :!:

:arrow: This one game (two, actually), it's not much of an online game. And has worse graphics than runescape and it's turn-based and it's not 3D but WAAAY better than Runescape. It has P2P features also but at least, it releases new skills or quests or even classes for F2P also, and sometimes new equipment! And events EVERYDAY for EVERYONE. Well, almost everyday but quite often!

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not saving my money for ANYTHING... I just.. You know... Can't afford a lot of stuff.... Correct me if i'm wrong....

That's because updates for the game you're thinking of can be done in an hour or two by one or two people on a game where the mechanics are so incredibly ancient and simplistic that the functions come down to action -> reaction -> new action -> etc

That would be like saying I can update my blog at least 20 times as fast as Jagex can churn out an update, while ignoring the fact that it takes a lot less time and effort to churn out an article than it does a complicated game.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

The shop update may have changed the way a lot of people do things, but I think thats for the better. Jagex wants us to buy things from other players so that people can make money, not to waste money on shops. Now more people are making things instead of buying them, and that's how the game is supposed to be played.

whatcolor_isblue.jpg[r]

Simple solution - if you prefer this game to RuneScape, GO PLAY THAT INSTEAD!! -.-

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

No matter what Jagex changes i wont quit. That pathetic if somone does that, simple thing is Jagex makes a change i adapt to that change problem solved.

I have no problem paying a few exp more for runes. Although i get all mine from RC or monster drops.

I don't complain because the main reason is i don't believe i have the right to complain. I couldn't make a better game, so what right do i have to tell them how to run it. Yeh i can make suggestions of what i would like to see, but to make rants, is basicly the same as trying to FORCE them to make a change. I don't believe i have the right to do this, so i just keep me mouth shut, make complements when im happy and get on with the game.

kieran_read.png

kieran_read.png

kieran_read.png

>> ... there's been a fairly strong negative feeling around the game

Meili wrote:

> No there isn't. When I played right after the update, everyone loved it. No one has complained about it in game either (including clan chat) that I heard so how is there a strong negative feeling?

I definitely had people moaning at me about it. (I didn't make it up!) The improved supply of battlestaves - which really are used for crafting training - came out a while later, after I wrote the article. Basic gameplay is unaffected, sure, apart from item prices and supplies of certain training items. It's still more controversial than another troll quest.

> Oh dear lord so now we are to say kudos for them doing their job? Oh look, the janitor mopped up the floor, quick praise him because he would still be paid even if he never mopped it.

If there's a leak and the janitor mops the floor, 'nuff said. If there's a leak and the janitor mops the floor, fixes the leak, installs a new drainage system and polishes the floor, it's understandable if someone says thanks. There's nothing unusual about praising someone for doing their job thoroughly, in a well-run workplace! The "Jagex doesn't care" whinge, which turns up plenty often on their official forums, didn't seem to fit.

The flow of new characters into RS has been rapid (sadly the site that used to post membership figures for MMORPGs has stopped updating itself), and Jagex might be able to get away with churning out junk updates for a very long time, ignoring the game's problems, before the rate of people quitting outweighed the rate of new people joining. But they're not doing that, which is nice.

Granted, they've got a very long way to go.

Even if it's not worth mentioning that Jagex did something decent, undeserved praise is harmless enough, and this is the Internet, where pointless articles are 10 for a dime :-)

Personally, I'd like to see Jagex discuss the pros and cons of adding an update. Sure, we can tax junk food because we think it would help stop obesity, but whether or not it works and if the expenses are too much for the benefits, maybe we shouldn't do it.

Anyway, what I'm really getting down to is that I'd like to hear Jagex talk to this with the RS members, and tell us what advantages and disadvantages they anticipate from the update.

Sleeping-in-cushionhigh.jpg

Great read. I especially like the tip at the end whereby you can have flax picking bots follow you by wearing green and cyan clothing lol.... gotta try that one out.

Someone should make a thread listing ways to annoy and disrupt bots.

Teleother stops them for a bit if they have aid on.

Anyway, what I'm really getting down to is that I'd like to hear Jagex talk to this with the RS members, and tell us what advantages and disadvantages they anticipate from the update.

Problem is that, for the somewhat more complicated updates (ie, updates other than "Added a new fun quest with rewards that don't have a big effect" or "fixed such and such bug"), you'll have many many players each with their own opinion. Some will like it, some won't, and they'll always find something to whine and nag about. Frankly, Scape's in the boat as any MMO seems to be. It's no different for World of Warcraft, for example. People whine about the most trivial things. For example, in some patch, Orc shoulder-armor size was decreased (which was unintended). Countless forum posts on the subject. The next patch, the problem was rectified. And lo: "Ffs Blizz orc shoulder r 2 big!!!". Right ::'

Still, gaining some insight into the decisions the folks at Jagex make would be a nice plus, as well as pretty educational for aspiring game designers, possibly.

My view on this...

= Jagex thinks long term: They are willing to upset some players to make the game better. You can hate it or admire it, your choice. I personally believe it is clever and brave.

= Jagex cares for everyone !equally!: How many people can you find in the runescape.com, tip.it and other RuneScape forums moaning? Some couple of thousands maybe? RuneScape has more than six million players. Do the math! Why should Jagex listen more to a tiny, tiny minority over the general consensus of the mass player base? I think it is just reasonable thinking.

= Freedom versus order: How many people you think is honest when they complain about their mutes and bans? Not that much, I would guess. How come I've never experienced their problems over my years in the game? The answer is simple: I do !not! break the rules!!! Strict regulations can be unpleasant, but they mean less bots and cheaters.

I rest my case,

Dr Verus