To All Rappers - Get your own beats!

Tomato

:( @ Waiting for a star to fall

Seconded, another great song ruined.

Another bad one is Out of Touch, originally by Hall and Oates.

Oh God I was hoping you would ne'er mention that :cry:

"I know! Let's take a catchy chorous and glockenspiel and repeat it, ignoring the verses, for 4 minutes!"

Nooooooo....

The dance scene has REALLY gotten out of control lately for ripoffs, artists are just butchering old 80's tunes in the hope that those smug [puncture]s who sit in their garden wearing just shorts and sunglasses with a cocktail in hand will love it, and most do. Incidentally, it's only the commercial dance scene that's like that - the odd dance remake for fun used to be pretty good, but now they're just killing it..

logo.jpg

I HATE RAP!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

TAKING DREAM ON! AND RUINING IT! NOT ON MY WATCH!!!

sorry i spazzed out.. taking old songs from those BETTER bands is vile it should be stopped people should pay more attention.

Oh God I was hoping you would ne'er mention that :cry:

"I know! Let's take a catchy chorous and glockenspiel and repeat it, ignoring the verses, for 4 minutes!"

Nooooooo....

I know! Its so bad it hurts. It'll sell by the buckload, and more and more dance crap like this will be produced.

Eminem didnt steal dido's chorus, it was an agreement and it got her pretty famous. Everytime someone 'steals' a sample, the original owner gets paid, its the law.

Not nessacerily. If the artist knows unit sales will be low, they just won't bother to get copyright. If the original artist finds out, they can sue. Copyright on music also runs out after 15 years (i think?) so if the owner doesn't renew their copyright on the track, anyone can sell, or in this case use it to rap against, to profit for themselves.

digital media becomes public domain 50 years after an artists death in europe and something like 75 years in america. of course with Elvis coming to public or close to public domain the riaa have been trying to change it.

I don't mind, as long as they don't tarnish the good name of the song. And they actually do something different to the song. Like, Limp Bizkit's version of Behind Blue Eyes is almost exactly the same as The Who's version of it, makes me sick. :x

ledzeppelin1jl6.jpg

I agree. I can't seem to imagine how many rap songs have such a same beat too. Like the "dun dun... dun dun! dun dun... dun dun!" (you get the idea) kind of crap.

Its old. Realy.

that and alot of lyrics are the same old crap too... but oh well, whatever sells for them i guess.

who was the one to rip off nina, 99 Luft Balloons?

and get credit for creating the back ground music?

Grr crappers ripping off good songs, and turning them into compleate junk.

(.MDI version)

http://bennieshepherd.com/joannsmidi/midifiles.htm

One of the old guard of RS.

RS birthday = Feb - 27 - 2002

Proud member of the original forum.

I don't mind, as long as they don't tarnish the good name of the song. And they actually do something different to the song. Like, Limp Bizkit's version of Behind Blue Eyes is almost exactly the same as The Who's version of it, makes me sick. :x
That's what you call a COVER. And to provide an answer you may be able to relate to (I hope, judging from your username), Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks" (Either that, or Going to California, anyway.) isn't the original.

I hate Limp Bizkit even more than I used to for ruining Behind Blue Eyes. And the Who did it better anyway.. Meh. It happens. Such as Avril Lavigne covering Metallica's "Fuel", System of a Down's "Chop Suey!", and even Green Day's "Basket Case". >_> My ears hurt from thinking about that.

But the Eminem-Aerosmith thing in Sing for the Moment isn't as bad as it could've been.

eminem didnt rip dido off, it was a joint effort, idiot.

While he didn't exactly rip her off, he did use her chorus rather than going through the trouble of making his own. Not exactly noble...

Theres a big difference between covering a song and purely using the beat or sampling. Please dont get ocnfused, theres a lot of people griefing covers in this topic when thats not the point of the thread.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Your moaning about rap is getting rather old, Tomato. Get over it, please. :? It's just very clear that you really don't give a flying flippo about the music or the artist who made the beat originaly or whatever they are doing, else you'd whine about Metallica ripping Whiskey in the Jar too, and the thousands of bands that cover songs like "Comfortably Numb", I don't even hear you about Britney Spears who coverd that 80's song (it's from the 80's right? I forgot the name, but I thought it was from the 80's) and named it "I love Rock and Roll", which is a terrible song, yet you complain about this brilliant song by Tupac namley "Changes". Go shame on yourself.

Anyway, I got one question; would it be okay if rappers ripped eachothers beats?

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

that and alot of lyrics are the same old crap too... but oh well, whatever sells for them i guess.

As opposed to for example pop, which doesn't consist almost purely of love/depression songs?...

[...]

So a few rap songs have beats which aren't new? Yeah, obviously that means the genre is trash. I haven't read this much idiocy (directed at the topic as a whole) since last time I read a Bush statement. If you guys can't stand this type of music, don't listen it. More power to you. Just don't expect anyone to take you seriously when you make up bogus reasons to justify complaining about the fact that it exists, and that people enjoy it. Creating the actual beat/music isn't always done by the artist. Point being? This is not a phenomena limited to rap.

And that's all I've got to say about this. Except for the usual "Anyone who honestly believes the claim that anybody could be a rapper is an idiot". But I've already said that countless time, and it's not helping.

Whiskey in the jar isn't a prime example, as that's a folk song. Comfortably Numb, however... pah. Tool did a good cover, but it was nothing like the original; it had the same tune and probably the same words (I couldn't hear it), but was completely changed--not "for the better", but it was worth doing, I think. The Scissor Sisters, on the other hand...

I think it would be worse if rappers took each other's beats, as that's not as big a change as a change of genre. That Britney Spears one was bad, primarily because it was a song about people who subscribe to "rock and roll" style music, which Britney Spears (which I'm using as a collective term for her music) is not. It's like "Teenage Dirtbag": it doesn't seem right for that sort of music to be singing about iron maiden.

Edit: ahem. I misspelled comfortably numb, because I first wrote it in lowercase, then remembered it should have capital letters, it being a song name. Hopefully no-one read too much into that. :oops:

Comfortably Cumb

Hehehe.

Is there any other way?

thirdeyesig0tl.jpg

Dreaming of that face again

It's bright, and blue, and shimmering

Grinning wide

And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Your moaning about rap is getting rather old, Tomato. Get over it, please. :? It's just very clear that you really don't give a flying flippo about the music or the artist who made the beat originaly or whatever they are doing, else you'd whine about Metallica ripping Whiskey in the Jar too, and the thousands of bands that cover songs like "Comfortably Numb", I don't even hear you about Britney Spears who coverd that 80's song (it's from the 80's right? I forgot the name, but I thought it was from the 80's) and named it "I love Rock and Roll", which is a terrible song, yet you complain about this brilliant song by Tupac namley "Changes". Go shame on yourself.

Anyway, I got one question; would it be okay if rappers ripped eachothers beats?

No, it wouldn't be okay...I just wouldn't care as much. Now, it's not rap in itself that I have a problem with. It's when I'm humming "Behind blue eyes" or the beat to "Under Pressure", and people say, "Oh! Limp Bizkit!" or "Ohh ohhh! Vanilla Ice!". That', I have a problem with. Now, I know that other bands have done covers of songs. Covers, I have no problem with. Mutilating a perfectly good song, I have a problem with. Nonpoint's "In the Air Tonight" is a good example of a cover done right. Sure, there's some artistic license alloted, yet the song as a whole remains the same.

The reason I targeted the rap genre is because from what I've seen, they tend to mutilate good songs the most. Now, that's not to say I don't dislike other genres either. I want to punch Britney Spears in the face for bringing upon the downfall of society, and wouldn't mind saying a few things to all the no-talent current bands playing the same chords over and over again. To tell the truth, only three bands have impressed me in current years: Audioslave, Alice in Chains, and Collective Soul. Besides that, it sounds like I'm hearing the same song over and over again.

But personally, I'd rather hear a bad song done bad than a good song done horribly and mutilated so much, that to even acredit it to the original author should be taken as an insult.

tomato1ry.png

That's what you call a COVER. And to provide an answer you may be able to relate to (I hope, judging from your username), Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks" (Either that, or Going to California, anyway.) isn't the original.

I hate Limp Bizkit even more than I used to for ruining Behind Blue Eyes. And the Who did it better anyway.. Meh. It happens. Such as Avril Lavigne covering Metallica's "Fuel", System of a Down's "Chop Suey!", and even Green Day's "Basket Case". >_> My ears hurt from thinking about that.

But the Eminem-Aerosmith thing in Sing for the Moment isn't as bad as it could've been.

You can do a cover and it sounds hardly anything like the original..

APC's - Imagine sounds nothing like Lennons..

When the Levee Breaks is a blues song by Memphis Minnie, famously covered by Led Zeppelin as the last song on their fourth album.

The Led Zeppelin version features a distinctive and often-sampled pounding drum beat by John Bonham, driving guitars and a wailing harmonica, all presumably meant to symbolize the relentless storm that threatens to break the levee, backing a powerful vocal performance by Robert Plant. The best-known song on the album may be "Stairway to Heaven", but "When the Levee Breaks" makes for a memorable finale.

The famous drum performance was actually recorded by placing the drumkit and drummer at the bottom of a stairwell, and recording it using a microphone at the top, giving the distinctive resonant but slightly muffled sound.

I think Zepp's cover of When the Levee Breaks would sound completely different to Memphis Minnie's version as Zepp's is hardly even a blues song...

What I'm getting at is I don't really care if they do a cover, just make it sound different, other wise, whats the point other then to make a quick buck?

ledzeppelin1jl6.jpg