Luring vs. Backstabbing-The same?

bubbyjoe2

I'm sure many people on Tip.it have encountered lurers, or backstabbers. The question is, are they the same? But first, let's see what they are in most eyes:

Luring: Bringing someone into the wilderness under false pretenses

Backstabbing: Killing or attacking a member of your own team/clan on purpose

I have not yet been lured, but I have been backstabbed before. What happened is that I "joined" a team, then we went to the lobster fishing spot. Then they all started to attack me. I died, and lost my rune scimitar. But that isn't the point.

These people agreed to welcome me on their team and that I was safe to go with them into the wilderness. However, they really had no intention of me joining their team and that they only wanted me to go into a dangerous place so they could Pk me. But wasn't that bringing me into the wilderness to kill me under false pretences? Saying you're on their "team" is just another excuse to get you into the wilderness.

Thus, luring and backstabbing should be no different.

If you think they are different, please give a reason why. I don't want to hear, z0mg r00n3 sc1m1t4r is w0r7hl3ss!!!111

Well firstly, in the wilderness I wouldn't team with someone who I had just met or had only been friends with for a short time.

Luring is a form of back-stabbing but back-stabbing can be done using many different methods so I think that it is a more general term compared to luring.

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

I hate both of them. I've been bsed plenty of times before. Its not fun. I've only been lured once before the wildy ditch, but i knew it was a lure so i banked everything but a dds and tore the crud out of the mage lurer (he got away, but wasted a lot of runes, pots, and sharks :D )

While I think bsing is a very low tactic, even below looters and pjers, I would think it'd be hard to report. After all, all Jagex is gonna see when you report them is you in the wilderness and dying. Plus, what if they don't talk or trade? you can't catch them.

Guess the lesson here is watch who you team with.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

My views, having looked at the luring issue for some time.

While both luring and backstabbing are dishonest and cowardly, they are NOT the same. The difference has to do with the intent of the victim to enter the Wild.

You went into the Wild willingly, in order to join a team to attack other people. In so doing, you made yourself a potential victim as well, by going with people you didn't know well. That is not the same as being lured into the Wild when you didn't want to go there and didn't think you would be going there. (Of course the ditch has stopped a lot of Wild lures, regardless of all the whining about it.)

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

I hate both of them. I've been bsed plenty of times before. Its not fun. I've only been lured once before the wildy ditch, but i knew it was a lure so i banked everything but a dds and tore the crud out of the mage lurer (he got away, but wasted a lot of runes, pots, and sharks :D )

While I think bsing is a very low tactic, even below looters and pjers, I would think it'd be hard to report. After all, all Jagex is gonna see when you report them is you in the wilderness and dying. Plus, what if they don't talk or trade? you can't catch them.

Guess the lesson here is watch who you team with.

Before you actually join the team, add everyone on it. Even if their chat is on friends, you still have the name(s). Chances are Jagex will see the blow of that DDS or the blast of that ice barrage if you report quickly enough. And they also would probably have to talk to say, "Ok, you can join us." (Unless they say so via forums)

Telling someone you want them to join your PKing team and then backstabbing them is not against the rules.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

My views, having looked at the luring issue for some time.

While both luring and backstabbing are dishonest and cowardly, they are NOT the same. The difference has to do with the intent of the victim to enter the Wild.

You went into the Wild willingly, in order to join a team to attack other people. In so doing, you made yourself a potential victim as well, by going with people you didn't know well. That is not the same as being lured into the Wild when you didn't want to go there and didn't think you would be going there. (Of course the ditch has stopped a lot of Wild lures, regardless of all the whining about it.)

In this case, I was only going to Pk if there was an open team I was able to join. And just because I didn't know them well, that doesn't give them the right to lead me into a dangerous area to kill me.

Telling someone you want them to join your PKing team and then backstabbing them is not against the rules.

Effectively it is as you are trying to scam them out of their items but the chances that JaGex ban someone for it is unlikely.

gladz.png

Proud Retired Council of The Gladiatiorz

Click here for our website - 110+ F2P Combat Requirements

In this case, I was only going to Pk if there was an open team I was able to join. And just because I didn't know them well, that doesn't give them the right to lead me into a dangerous area to kill me.

Well, my understanding of the rules is that it does, unfortunately.

You could always try asking Jagex what their thought du jour is on this. LOL

signew2.png

So, telling them that you want to Pk with them, bringing them deep, killing them and taking their items when you had said that you wouldn't, is perfectly fine? That's just lying to somebody to obtain their items. Is this any different from the "trust game" where they lie to you to take you items? NO!

So, telling them that you want to Pk with them, bringing them deep, killing them and taking their items when you had said that you wouldn't, is perfectly fine? That's just lying to somebody to obtain their items. Is this any different from the "trust game" where they lie to you to take you items? NO!

I didn't say it was "perfectly fine". I think it's wrong -- but then I think most of what goes on in the Wild is wrong.

I just believe Jagex doesn't consider this luring in the same sense as trying to get someone into the Wild when that person didn't think they were going into the Wild.

Let's face it -- lying in the Wild goes on all the time. There's really no way to get rid of all of it without shutting the whole place down. By voluntarily going into that place -- and you had an intention to PK yourself -- you automatically make yourself a target.

signew2.png

They're both bad, but I don't think backstabbing can be considered illegal.

With luring, you don't think you're going into the Wilderness, and you don't plan on there being any chance you will die, as you aren't in the Wilderness.

With backstabbing, when you enter the Wilderness with your team, you know there is a chance to get killed, either by your teammates or someone else. As Jagex has said, 'Anything Goes' in the wilderness. Once you cross the ditch, you know that you might die and that it is not Jagex's fault if you do.

I DO, however, agree that backstabbing is bad, but I don't think it's illegal.

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

I don't think that these two terms are the same. Luring could be done in several ways. One of these ways are by back-stabbing, but it's only then these two terms means the same.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Lure - You got tricked into getting killed.

Backstab - You joined a team of PKers to PK with them but ended up getting PKed by them.

I'd hardly call those the same.

8888kev8888.jpeg

Sigs by: Soa | Gold_Tiger10 | Harrinator1 | Guthix121 | robo | Elmo | Thru | Yaff2

Avatars by: Lit0ua | Unoalexi | Gold Tiger .

Hello friend, Senajitkaushik was epic, Good luck bro.

Luring- Tricking someone into the wilderness so you can kill them. They have no intentions of bringing their items into the wilderness.

Backstabbing- Attacking someone who is already in the wilderness so you can kill them. They had every intention of bringing their items into the wilderness.

Main difference is that when you backstab someone, they intended to bring their items into the wilderness..

I once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.
Pics or it didn't happen.
I hate my generation.

Kinda related to this..

I'd taken a few big hits from black dragons and was very low on health when the guy i was standing next to offered a trade. I would personally offer a little food to someone in trouble so i thought this was what he was doing. He than ran out between the dragons and obviously as i'd click accept trade, i followed him.

Thankfully i ran back before getting the fatal smack from a black. It shocks me to think of some of the things no good scumbags will try on this game.

BurntStats6.gif

I give a congratulations to succesfull lurers and the first type of backstabbers. If you go into the wilderness with items and money you are saying "I want to die." Period. Joining a guy who you just met to join forces in the most dangerious lawless place of RuneScape, you're saying "I want to die." Period.

Then theres the second type of backstabber that you do know well, such as a clan member or friend. After your 10th clan war with them, and on the 11th they kill you, then they can never be trusted again.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I don't see how that would be against the rules. They willingly entered the wild with you. Where as a scam/lure would be you tricking them into the wild. You standing in level 40 wild with your new pk mate you met 5 mins ago, then him bsing you is just something you should prepare for. While I don't agree with it, I see nothing that breaks rules there.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

The term "Luring" is used alot more than I should be.

And to be clear on what JAGEX says about luring..

Luring players into the Wilderness under false pretences.

Luring is not classified as players "luring" other players who are already inside the wilderness.

If you want to get technical, "Luring" people who willingly cross into the wilderness (Thereby risking there items to be lost) with the intention of KILLING other players, is not against the rules. However, it may not be in the spirit of the game.

But I see no difference in you willingly joining a group, or following a group and getting killed. So no, what they did is NOT against the rules, but not necessarly nice. Just teaches you to be careful who you hang around with in the wilderness.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Backstabbing is merely despicable and shows you have no honor at all.

Luring however is a form of scamming. Some players might be very young and new to the internet, they don't have the judgement to think is the person lying for his own interest.

It's hard to report luring to Jagex though, but if you talked a lot and you can see the person lying about "showing a cool quest location" for you, and you die after he laughs at you.. Jagex could see it in the chat logs and warn him.

The last time I was back stabbed I got swarmed by 2 guys lower leved friends. I would have still been f2p adn maybe cmbt 65, they were mostly combt 55-59. About 8 peopel altogether I think, I only held out for 30 secs (killing 1) than ran for my life.